• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Which formats do you enjoy/battle in most?

Years
  • Which formats do you guys prefer - Singles or Doubles? Regular ranked battles or Smogon formats?

I'm most at home in in-game VGC Doubles myself. I find double battling to be at the right balance of complexity and fun, and I like how it allows great opportunities for tons of historically not-so-used Pokémon. I dislike playing with super-meta picks you see on every team, finding them boring, and rather use ordinarily popular or even unexpected Pokémon (my current project is figuring our how to make Dusknoir work).

I prefer VGC to Smogon formats because it feels... I don't know, less cutthroat? Smogon is a bit too serious about it all for me, and feels more susceptible to the "everyone uses the most meta things or gets utterly crushed" mindset (that's at least how I remember it).

I did like Monotype in gen 6 very much, and it was in a way a replacement drug for me back then since I didn't have the new games and could only play on Showdown.

Years
  • I prefer Smogon's OU meta, but I don't mind dipping into other metagames every now and then. I do greatly prefer Smogon tiers to VGC though because they feel a lot more balanced to me.

Dark Azelf

☽𖤐☾𓃶𐕣
    Years
    • Seen yesterday
    In the past, i have traditionally preferred OU but ive had success in all tiers throughout the gens since gen 4, topping all relevant ladders (OU, UU, NU) in said aforementioned gens.

However this gen after not bothering battling last gen, ive dabbled into PU which tbh has been extremely fun and ive recently gotten to 5th on the ladder before new pokes dropped down to NU (Corsola-G, Pinchurchin and pals). :D Definitely recommend the tier if you haven't partaken in it already. :)

Years
    • Age 29
    • he/him/his
    • Seen Feb 8, 2024
    I have traditionally enjoyed UU/RU in previous gens, particularly Gen 6-7. I took a prolonged break during Gen 5, though it looks like I missed a really interesting generation. It's now been pretty much ruined with the subsequent rule changes. I actually like Gen 8 OU, though only recently and I have a feeling it's gonna get worse with the excessive power creep introduced in Crown Tundra. I also love Gen 2 OU, kinda wish Lax had been banned back in the day but it's still an excellent tier for the unique playstyles despite the small pool of playable mons.

I enjoy watching (not playing) VGC.

In the past, i have traditionally preferred OU but ive had success in all tiers throughout the gens since gen 4, topping all relevant ladders (OU, UU, NU) in said aforementioned gens.

However this gen after not bothering battling last gen, ive dabbled into PU which tbh has been extremely fun and ive recently gotten to 5th on the ladder before new pokes dropped down to NU (Corsola-G, Pinchurchin and pals). :D Definitely recommend the tier if you haven't partaken in it already. :)

DA my love <3 you were a slayer at DP UU and I'll never forget

Back