• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

4th Gen Which game do you prefer?

FrostPheonix

Eternity.
    Years
    Soul Silver and Heart Gold both had their own pros and cons. Not many major differences, like which legend you got at 45 or 70, or what pokes you found in the wild, but they were enough to change your mind on which game you got.

Which game did you get, if you did? Why did you get it? Was it the legend? Or the pokemon? Perhaps you had its previous version (gold/silver)? Or just cuz it sounded cool?

I got myself soul silver, since I had gold before and just wanted to try out something new.

Juzey

I love Shaymin!!!
    Years
    • Seen Sep 3, 2012
    I prefer gold to silver (as in the colours), and Fire-types to Water-types. So yeah, I got HG.

Kieran

the Blueberry Champion
    Years
    Soulsilver, just because I bought Gold in the past and didn't get to have the epic Lugia's box.

But I end up playing Heartgold more in the end for some reasons.

Cariad

world.search(you);
    Years
    • Seen Oct 25, 2023
    I bought both, but I prefer Soulsilver because i'm a die hard Lugia fan.

Khall

Permafrost
    Years
    I bought both but I bought SS first because my first ever Pokemon game was Silver, even though I prefer HG more.

Years
    Originally I planned on getting SoulSilver, but they didn't have it, so I got HeartGold instead. I was going to get SS because I had Gold growing up and wanted a change, but it doesn't make too much of a difference to me either way.

DiabloMask

Pokemon creator
    Years
    Silver was the first pokemon game i played ever
    and i picked soul silver because most of my favorite
    pokemons (like Scyther and Lugia) are impossible to find
    in gold, i was thinking of playing heart gold next
    but i quit because i was still playing platinum.

Raizhu

the end
    Years
    • Seen Feb 19, 2012
    SoulSilver.
    Kind of a random choice, really. But I preferred the version exclusives of SS at the time, and Lugia as well.

7Mufasa7

Velohsytea
    Years
    • Seen Dec 19, 2014
    i prefer the version exclusives on HG but i chose SS...

weird huh... lugia convinced me... 0_0

Cataclysmic

A New Adventure
    Years
    • Seen Jun 13, 2015
    I bought HG (and the original Gold) first, but I prefer SS as my main game. SS has Meowth, my favorite Pokémon, so that helps. :)

Blazing Flare

Burning brightly
    Years
    • Seen Jul 5, 2012
    I prefer Soul Silver because it has more exclusives that I'm fond of (Ninetales, Ursaring) and also Lugia is cooler than Ho-oh in my opinion.

リザードン☆

Charizard evolved into..
    Years
    I bought both HeartGold and SoulSilver as I did with Gold and Silver, but I much prefer SoulSilver because you get Lugia earlier than in HeartGold, in my opinion Lugia is a beast compared with Ho-Oh. I also prefer the Pokémon exclusive to SoulSilver.

Yoshikko

the princess has awoken while the prince sleeps on
    Years
    • Seen Apr 27, 2020
    Since I had Gold when I was little, I chose SS this time, even though Lugia and Ho-Oh really are on par for me, I like them equally. I have no idea what the version exclusives are lol, I got 8 badges in 23 hours apparently and I can't remember the slightest thing of it, I really need to play it again XD

sherreamethyst

Dragonite's Momma
    Years
    In prefer Lugia(my favorite Legendary) to Ho-Oh any day. I've never really been a fan of Ho-Ohs, and I always think of the cylindrical, frosted, cream-filled cakes made by the Hostess company. X)

RivalGator

I hate them all.
    Years
    When the games came out, I pre-ordered both of them and rushed as quickly as I could to get them. I got them because I was such a fan of G/S/C. I was so excited for the release of those games that I could hardly sleep that night. I played SoulSilver the most though, at least for a while, because I had originally started with Gold.

Years
    • UK
    • Seen Jan 29, 2013
    I chose SoulSilver for a number of reasons:
    1. Lugia's my favourite Pokémon, so the boxart drew me instantly
    2. I had Gold back in the day and didn't rate it much
    3. I wanted Lugia in the game ASAP
    4. I personally prefer the version-exclusive Pokémon over those available in HG
    5. My friend had HeartGold, so I thought I'd get the opposite version

Years
    I got HG because I thought Ho-Oh looked much, much cooler than Lugia. That and I tend to prefer the underrated legendaries.

Also, I hate the whirlpools where Lugia is... I'd rather deal with the Bell Tower.

Oh, and my friend got SS. We always try to get different versions so HG it was.

Back