• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Which Gender do you pick?

blue

gucci
Years
  • I actually used to always chose my gender up until Gen 4, that's when I started to choose based on appearances and for B2W2 I'll be choosing the female character as I did with Black & White.

Sephirothxx

Likes Ruby version
    Years
  • I usually pick male, but more recently I have picked the female (excluding Lyra, just cuz she's Lyra and I wouldn't pick her if my life depended on it.) character since they look kinda cool. (Leaf doesnt exacty look cool, but for some reason I like using her.) I guess it's because I am sick of looking at the top of the male sprite all the time.

chaos11011

[untitled]
    Years
    • Age 27
    • MA
    • Seen May 4, 2021
    FR/LG: Leaf
    R/S/: May
    E: Brendan
    D/P: Dawn
    Platinum: Lucas
    HG/SS: Ethan
    B/W: Hilda :3

Years
    • Seen May 9, 2024
    I always choose the male. The only time I've used the female was in my first run-thru of Crystal, since having the option of being a female was new to me, and my first run-thru of Sapphire, where I modeled my team after May. But I always replay my games and in both Crystal and Sapphire, I chose male.

Years
    • Seen Mar 18, 2017
    It depends. I always pick the Male trainer in R/S, D/P, and HG/SS. However, I don't like Gold's 8-bit overworld sprite, so I play as the female in Crystal (and the girl from Crystal is awesome). I also like the FR/LG female sprite (plus I'm sick to death of playing as Red all the time). And Hilda looks like she can kick your ass. I'll probably play as the Male in B2/W2, since the girl has probably the stupidest haircut yet. The Male character isn't that much better, but at least he isn't growing Mickey Mouse ears.

Last edited:

Korsola

エレクトロニック
    Years
  • I usually choose female just because I feel like all the male designs are the same each game with a few alterations (which gets boring). Whereas the females usually look nothing alike which makes things more interesting. The day I choose a male is when he is blonde and isn't wearing a hat/visor.

Plus, the female characters are always so cute. :)

Saucy Fish Boi

Music is my girlfriend
    Years
  • I always pick whichever I think looks better. Usually I prefer the girl. I actually don't really like playing Gold and Silver because I'm not given the option. If I can, I always alternate each time I play the same game. (I played as a girl the first time I played Emerald, but when I played Emerald the second time, I played as a boy.) I have always picked the girl in Crystal though.

Gen 1: Leaf, because you gotta love that hat. Red is pretty cool but screams "HAI I'M THE EVERYDAY POKEMON TRAINER." That is until you find him on Mt. Silver and he's as scary as the grown lovechild of Freddy Kruger and Jason. D:

Gen 2: Lyra, for her big poofy hat, but her red/blue combo makes it so it's a wash between the three characters.

Gen 3: Tie. They were both really good in my opinion.

Gen 4: DAWN 100% OF THE TIME. What are you doing with your life, Lucas.
    Also I agree with these analyses. xD

Last edited:

Dr.Kotov

& the symptoms.
    Years
    • Seen Dec 11, 2012
    Always male, just couldn't come up with a suitable name for the female character, ever...really. Though yeah, Lucas...why? Just, why?

TY

Female, i seem to like the female designs better than the male (B/W being the only exception)

Apollo

怖がらないで
    Years
    • Seen Jul 22, 2017
    Mostly my gender, but sometimes I can use the opposite.

Years
    • Seen Jul 8, 2012
    It varies from game to game and all comes down to which character design I prefer so generally I don't stick too much with either. In Crystal/FRLG/RS/DP I always preferred the girl however in HGSS I preferred the boy character so it really all varies. In B&W I thought both were the same and had a hard time deciding.

Years
    • Seen May 27, 2012
    i always take the professors seriously in my first runs. so i pick female. but for the sake of having cute boys with cute names, i pick males once i've cleared the whole game and am ready to start a new one.

Back