• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

[Discussion] Which is better? One Time Purchase or In-Game Purchases?

Years
  • I am helping to develop a new monster catching game and I am curious to see what everyone thinks

Do you prefer to purchase a game upfront and have it be completely unlocked and playable? Or would you rather have a free game with some content locked that you have to purchase?

I have always been the pay upfront kind of gamer. There is more risk if you don't like the game, but if you do, you can play it forever.

DarkDoom3000

Super Pokemon Eevee Edition
    Years
  • It really depends on the platform, but...

Im a supporter of the Free2Play model.
    where it's free, but has microtransactions and whatnot to make money.

the potential audience is far bigger. You gotta realise that only a small fraction of people actually buy stuff. so if you went the standard pay model, you'd miss out on the huge audience of people.

if it's free, these non-paying people would play it. and if they get hooked to the game, they're more likely to pay money.
    And, people who would've bought the game- would probably just buy stuff in it anyway.

Years
  • I personally prefer the one time purchase - if a game wants me to purchase things to continue playing, I usually stop right away. However, I wouldn't mind paying extra for extra material (like an expansion pack, for example), I just don't like having to or having game progress impeded if I don't (I'm looking at you, many Facebook games).

As a business model, however, I see how micro-transactions work extremely well. It just isn't my cup of tea for when I play.

pkmn.master

Hobbyist Game Developer
    Years
  • I look at in game purchases as theft. I would prefer to develop games and charge once, or cost-free games that include advertisements. The thought of myself purchasing anything within a game makes me feel turned off by that game.

FL

Pokémon Island Creator
    Years
    • Seen May 10, 2024
    Depends A LOT of which features and prices.
    I really dislikes things like a pokémon game that you need to purchase (with an expensive value) the running shoes/bicycle/fly HM, but I like one that is free and you need to purchase only costumes and accessories for the character.

Last edited:
    Years
    • UK
    • Seen May 7, 2024
    I don't mind in game purchases if the same items can be gotten in game in some way. Kinda like in dragonvale, all dragons can be gotten by breeding, but you can buy them as well

I dislike games that make you buy items in order to continue, either make it a one off fee, or make paid for items available in some way ingame is how i prefer

Last edited:
    Years
    • Seen Nov 8, 2017
    To me it's a torn issue. I like games that get updated very frequently, especially with new content, and games with micro transactions support that since Developers wish to extend the time people play (and spend money) on their game.
    On the other hand I tend to completely reject games in which in-game advantages are sold via micro transactions and thus usually do not play at all as I consider the price just for some aesthetic changes.

But then again most people probably know at least one person doesn't know someone that spends a full Triple-A Games' worth every month to buy a new character skin / hat / car-recolor or whatever their particular ingame store offers.
    And I feel like that is a major rip-off.

Back