• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

which is the strongest grass type???

billi1000

The Ruler of Darkness - Zekrom
    Years
    • Seen May 22, 2014
    Hey, i was just on my DS thinking of adding a grass type pokemon to my team since i lack one, so i started thinking what is the strongest grass type of all generations? for me, I'll have to go with Sceptile since its speed is very high accompanied by a great attack stat, oh and it can learn dragon moves XD as i think no other grass type can, so what do u think is the strongest grass type of all generations or at least which would u put on the team u use for competitive battling?

billi1000

Years
    • Seen May 22, 2014
    thats a great compination of moves, but doesnt venusaur have a low speed? if it does, it with be no match for a pokemon of high speed and a type its week to? although sword dance heightens the attack pretty nicely

billi1000

Years
    • Seen May 22, 2014
    actually if venusaur battled against torterra, venusaur would have the advantage since the ground typing curses torterra with no resistivity against grass moves and ground moves are not super effective of venusaur if torterra attemps to drop any, so venusaur definitely has the upper hand in such a battle since its poison typing can let it use poison stab moves to beat torterra to the ground, but if u where to put both agaisnt other pokemon then its a different story ...

Wings Don't Cry

Maybe she's born with it
    Years
    I always like to give Venasaur Sleep Powder and Earthquake, it helps more if you're up against a fire type. This is for in-game right?

Distortion World

Steel/Flying
    Years
    • Seen Apr 25, 2010
    I think i'll have to go with Celebi, since it's both Psychic and Grass.

Psycic beat's Poison Types like Venusaur, and Grass Type that beat Ground Types like Torterra.

Timbjerr

[color=Indigo][i][b]T-o-X-i-C[/b][/i][/color]
    Years
    Objectively speaking, and in terms of BST, Tangrowth is the best non-legendary grass-type, but his movepool is utter crap compared to other high-BST grass-types like Venusaur, Sceptile, and Exeggutor

billi1000

Years
    • Seen May 22, 2014
    well, sceptile has i think the largest move pool of all grass types, seriously, i never imagined a grass type using dragon moves! XD (although a whole bunch can now after the move tutors from Pt and HGSS moved in)

Maci12

Gym Leader
    Years
    • Seen Mar 6, 2014
    Strictly competitively speaking it goes as following:
    1. Shaymin-S: Ridiculous speed, Serene Grace backed by STAB Air Slash and Seed Flare. It has an 80% chance to double the damage it does by usiong STAB Seed Flare and then can flinch a pokemon to death with Air Slash.
    Attainability: Hard.

2. Celebi: Amazing defensive spread and better abilities than Shaymin (not Shaymin-S). It can act as either an Offensive, Defensive, or Baton Pass threat and will do its job almost without fail. Poor defensive typing (Psychic/Grass is terrible), but the resistances it has are all commonly used types.
    Attainability: Very Hard.

3. Breloom: Breloom is nearly unbeatable if used correctly. Utilizing the moveset of Substitute, Spore, Leech Seed, Focus Punch with Poison Heal it can outstall almost everything. Come in on something you know to be slower, and you will be in for quite a while. Alternatively, you can abuse priority with Breloom by using Spore, Swords Dance, and Mach Punch. The best Grass physical attacker.
    Attainability: Very Easy

4. Roserade: Roserade is arguably better than Breloom with its great speed, incredible power, great STABs and a decent movepool. It can act as either a lead or offensive threat, functioning as either the best Stall lead or an amazingly powerful Special Attacker. Outside of Shaymin-S (who is hard to attain) Roserade is the best Special Attacker of the Grass types.
    Attainability: Very Easy.

5. Shaymin: Shaymin puts itself at fourth place. It is good but is largely outclassed by Celebi, as Celebi has a similar but better movepool. The lack of a Psychic typing is good in that it isn't absolutely WTF pwned by Bug types, but the resistance to Fighting that Celebi has is very useful defensively.
    Attainability: So-so

6. Venusaur: Right now, Venusaur has a lot of hype, but that is strictly in the UU Tier. Sleep Powder + Swords Dance is nice, but is more effectively used by Breloom who has better Attack, better STABs, and a more reliable Sleep move. Basically use any of the above Grasses over Venusaur.
    Attainability: Depends on the version.
    Trust me when I say that no other Grass type is worth using in-game. People have recommended Torterra, Sceptile, Leafeon, Tangrowth, and others, but the ones I talked about here outclass them 100%.
    Hope this helps.

Last edited:

billi1000

Years
    • Seen May 22, 2014
    hey Maci12, thanks for the great info on those killer grass types, celebi was wat i really wanted but realized i have no way to actually obtain it officially so i took it of the list, so i think shaymin sky forme is a nice choice, but hey when it comes to legendary grass types, wat about arceus with meadow plate making it a grass type with grass type jugment? XD that would be godly :P

GlitchCity

GlitchxCity
    Years
    Leafeon is pretty fast and its ability is pretty useful. Sceptile is a beast with its leafblade and dragonclaw. Meganium is good with defense and its dangerous with its body slam.

Years
    Trust me when I say that no other Grass type is worth using in-game. People have recommended Torterra, Sceptile, Leafeon, Tangrowth, and others, but the ones I talked about here outclass them 100%.
    Hope this helps.
    well, it depends on each person's strategies, you may think they are good but others may not, in my opinion, leafeon is the best of all grass type pokemon. breloom can easily be knocked out since it has avarage speed and against early bird-ability pokemon

Fire Wolf

it's as humid as a sauna, boy!
    Years
    Shaymin Sky Forme is the best grass type, with a great speed, Serene Grace and STAB Air Slash and STAB Seed Flare to abuse. lavenderbolt, Leafeon can also be easily knocked out with its terrible speed and frail defenses.

Sweet Jasmine

s m i l e :)
    Years
    In my opinion, I bet that Celebi is the strongest, It has a psychic power and it's one of the weakness of grass types. :)

Haza

☆A Life of Pokémon and Beyoncé ☆
    Years
    • Age 32
    • Seen Oct 1, 2021
    Shaymin
    Celebi
    Roserade
    Sceptile
    Jumpluff (very strategic if used correctly, really)

All the best grass types.

billi1000

Years
    • Seen May 22, 2014
    well i guess when it comes to grass types, its very hard to make a wall pokemon, but a grass type can make a nice swift sweeper, with grass types with rediculously high speeds like shaymin sky forme and sceptile, stabs will be easy to land and will dominate very easily in battle, although grass types with low speeds have a disadvantage in competitive battling when it comes to facing pokemon that are much much stronger, i still dont get why nobody has mensioned Arcus with a Meadow Plate and grass-type jugment, that really sounds like the altimate grass type XD

Back