• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Which languages can you speak?

Fluorii

V.I.P.
    Years
    You and Languages:

So, what languages do you speak?

This is the quintessential question of this thread.

My native language is English. I'm sure you didn't see that coming. I'm currently studying Mandarin, Korean, and Japanese in college. I know, that sounds inefficient and kind of crazy. It is. But I'm having the time of my life - I absolutely love languages. I'm sure I'll become fluent in all three of them sometime before I die. After English, Korean is probably the next language that I'm the most fluent in. I love the Korean language to death, for reasons that I don't even have. It's awesome.

Beyond what languages you speak - what languages are you interested in learning? If you're currently learning a language or have learned a language in the past, what are your techniques?

Years
    • Age 29
    • Seen Jan 28, 2019
    I could speak fluently in English, Gujarati, Hindi and Spanish. I can speak a little Japanese.

I would like to learn more Japanese and Chinese :3

Saltare.

Brain bangin'
    Years
    My first language was English. Then growing up, I was taught Italian. I know some German and French too.

Then Spanish because it was taught in school and it's on TV -_-

iyiyi

Throat

Oldschool pokemon
    Years
    As I'm brazilian, I speak portuguese and some english. Actually, I have problems with english often, but I'm always improving it and I think I'll get in an english course someday. Languages are quite interesting, but they're not my priority.

mr. ck

कुछ मीठा हो जाये
    Years
    I know... C++, Python, PHP, Ruby, C#, Perl... etc.

No, actually my mother tongue isn't C++ but Hindi, and I know some Punjabi... However, I'm better at English than Hindi.
    I also did German in school, so I know how to speak German as well.

twocows

The not-so-black cat of ill omen
    Years
    C, Java, HTML, Windows batch, bash, some C++, some Python, and some C#. I'm interested in learning Perl and C++. I would also like to learn the Windows API for C and C++.

Last edited:

Citrinin

Nephrotoxic.
    Years
    In terms of human languages, I'm pretty much a monoglot. XD; I do take Japanese at school, however (and have done for the past eighteen months). If we're counting languages that computers understand, then I become delightfully polylingual. :3

Kon~

Follow your dream to the end ~
    Years
    English is my mother tongue, so I'm sure that doesn't count towards anything.

I'm ever so slightly fluent in French and Spanish, but if you ask me anything too hard, I will use an online translator. :3

Oh, and I can do a fair bit of sign language too. BSL, though, so don't be signing your Ameslan at me. :)

Rich Boy Rob

"Fezzes are cool." The Doctor
    Years
    • Seen Mar 15, 2016
    English is my native language and I did French for 3 years.
    After only 2 years I seem to have forgotten most of what I learnt except only the very basics.

yaminokaitou

りゅうのマスター
    Years
    English- native tongue
    Japanese- beginner intermediate level. I took two semesters in college, but it didn't help much. Now I'm studying on my own. (can read and write hiragana/katakana and some kanji)
    Korean- functional Korean. I take classes, but it's really basic stuff. I wouldn't even try to hold a conversation with someone in it. (can read hangeul OK)
    Spanish- studied in high school, but I forgot a lot of it. Still can read it though.

I've also studied a semester of French and Mandarin Chinese, but I really don't know too much of any of those languages.

Missingno.7-4468

The Kazuka Party is for curry!
    Years
    My native language is English, and I've recently been taking Spanish in school. The problem with me and Spanish is that I am much better at the grammar than the vocabulary, and I can never remember any important words. >_>

Other than that, I am interested in the languages that have a different alphabet. I know that they'd be harder than Spanish, but I still want to learn them.(These include Russian, Greek, all those weird Asian languages, Hebrew, etc...)

Luck

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
    Years
    • Seen May 20, 2023
    I speak Engrish, the official language of the Internet.

On a more serious note though, I know English and am learning French in school.

Last edited:
    Years
    • Seen Dec 4, 2011
    English is my only language. I tried to learn French and German, but just couldn't pick either of them up. I don't really know why I couldn't learn them, it just didn't seem be able to learn them.

Years
    I am Fluent in Maltese and English, But much better in English :P....I know some basic Spanish and I am currently teaching myself Italian off the internet and television :)

Ninja Caterpie

AAAAAAAAAAAAA
    Years
    Know English and two dodgy dialects of Chinese (Mandarin and Shanghainese, the latter of which is sadly dying out), while learning Japanese at school.

and i know, like, kindergarten level Italian and how to say "hello" in a few other languages.

derozio

[b][color=red][font=helvetica][i]door-kun best boi
    Years
    Well, I'm pretty fluent in Hindi and English, I suppose. But then, I'm not really good when it comes to 'writing' Hindi. Commit some mistakes most of the times. Apart from Hindi and English, I know Marathi as well. It's basically a language spoken in a state from India. I don't know if it's spoken anywhere outside that specific state, though.

A little of Jap. But that 'little' is next to nothing, I guess. I'd love to learn Jap, Mandarian, Spanish, French and German. But ah well, I don't really think that I can do that.

Uecil

[img]https://i.ibb.co/4jfYrCT/tHdpHUB.png[/img]
    Years
    I speak my own language! I know English (my first language), a bit of French, a bit of Spanish, A bit of Trinidad (thanks to my granddad), um well I think that's it there is a few words I know in a different language.

Back