• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Which OS Should I Get?

Which OS Should I Get?

• Windows XP

Votes: 6 54.5%
  • Mac OS X

Votes: 2 18.2%
  • Linux

Votes: 3 27.3%
  • Other

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
    Years
    Which operating system should I get for my new computer! Please post why you think I should get the OS you chose.

EDIT: New rule. No just saying "Get Linux just because it's better. Windows sucks!" or something like that. Give a valid reason like "there are many more apps" or "it's not the target of most viruses, it's pleasing to the eye, and it has a more stable core."

Last edited:

Aaron5367

The Legendary Spriter
    Years
    Depends how good with computers you are, if you have alot of experience I would recommend Windows, but if you don't have much go with Linux. Windows takes more experience because there is no coustmer support, I don't know if Linux dose or not, but, thats just me :laugh: . Windows is my choise.

Trent

TrentTech Founder
    Years
    I'd say go for Ubuntu Debian linux, it's free, and it's very easy to use

Yameneko549

Eat hammer!
    Years
    Windows is simple enough that I was able to teach a COMPLETE NEWBIE the basics in less than two hours. Then again, any OS is simple if you have the right teacher.

I can't say too much about Mac OS X and Linux without being too biased, as I didn't keep using them for long, but I can give some upsides and downsides for Windows XP.

---
    Windows XP upsides:
    Has thousands, if not millions, of programs that you can choose from. You can find software almost anywhere on the net or in stores
    Driver support is usually no problem
    Is really needed if you plan on mainly gaming

Windows XP downsides:
    Isn't as secure as Windows 9x, Mac OS X, or Linux
    No real person to person customer support
    Is more prone to crashing compared to Mac and Linux
    ---

I can say that, in my personal opinion, Windows has always given me the best time. I've never found either of the other two as user friendly as Windows. Sure, it crashes some, but it's always something I did, like forgetting to install a virus scanner FIRST. X_x;

Here's a suggestion, though. Try and find a store with each OS. If nobody has a Linux box, and you have a CD-R or RW and access to a CD-R or CD-RW drive, and a computer that they'll allow you to do this on, then here's what you do:

---
    1) Head to https://kanotix.com/info/index.php and go to the downloads area. Download the first .iso file on the list. It'll take a while, as it's about 700 MB.

2) Get a CD image burning program. I suggest BurnCDCC. It's free and lightweight.

3) Use the program to burn the .iso file to the disk. Don't unzip it or anything, as that won't do anything.

4) When it's done, reboot the machine with the CD in the drive. It'll boot as the Linux distro "Kanotix", all from the CD. It won't install anything. Instead, it's all done ON THE CD!
    ---

While you can't really download and install anything while using a live-cd, it allows you to use the interface, use the base programs, and even get used to the terminal and such. It's also useful as a rescue disk when running Windows.

In the end, I can only suggest Windows as it's what I've found to be the most useful, but I'd suggest trying the different OS systems yourself instead of relying on others to make your desicion. If you choose Windows, we'd be glad to help get you set up with some good software to try and keep you secure. Same goes with any other OS you choose.

Also, remember that any OS can give you a hard time if you let it. Learn as much as you can about whatever OS you choose. An OS is only as smart, user-friendly and secure and the user let's it be.

Kipkip

Join the Revolution
    Years
    • Age 33
    • Seen Jun 24, 2007
    If you're going to play games, get Windows. If you going to use your computer like an average user, Linux is good enough.

Insanity Mawile

OGMWTFBBQTEHSTFU!!!!!!!!1
    Years
    There's a bunch of software that lets you both run OS X and XP on the same computer. But OS X is more secure and there's more software for XP. I'd choose both (with the software)

Kipkip

Join the Revolution
    Years
    • Age 33
    • Seen Jun 24, 2007
    Yame~TD said:
    a1337a said:
    Given I currently dual boot Windows XP and MacOSx86[/URL]

WAIT! How the heck? How did you get MacOS on an x86? If you don't want to say it out in the open, you can PM me or send me an e-mail. I'm really wanting to know how it's possible.
    I'm not sure if this is "legal", but here's the link on how to install MacOS X Tiger on VMWare or native on your hard drive. I would guess it's legal if you have gotten the Mac OS Tiger x86 Developer Kit Install DVD legally.
    Attached is my Mac on VMWare. The only downside is that you can't use the internet and you have to fix some audio problems to get that working. That problem is only for VMWare, I'm not sure if it holds true for a native install. Also, if you no nothing about shell commands, don't try it.

Geometric-sama

The Manly Man of Steel
    Years
    I use a single 200GB hard disk, and triple boot WinXP Pro, Win98SE and Linux. I'd say if you want to dual-boot, pick WinXP and a Linux distro. Make sure you install GRUB or LILO, and you have to install Windows before Linux.

Geometric-sama

The Manly Man of Steel
    Years
    Debian (and Debian-based releases like Ubuntu) focuses more on stability though, so it doesn't really keep up to date in terms of security. I wouldn't recommend it if you want to use it for the Internet too. Gentoo's pretty nice, and gives you the choice of KDE, Gnome or Enlightenment.

Years
    • Seen Feb 16, 2020
    I highly recommend any MAC OS, at it is very stable, useful for both beginner and advanced users, and actually because Microsoft Office works better on MACs than Windows. Yet I think you should wait for the new, upcoming MACs that will start having Intel.

Back