• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Game Help: Which pokemon do I put in my team's empty spot?

Years
    So... for the first time I'm at the pokemon league door in a nuzlock, but there's a little problem, I only have five pokemon in my team, and I have no idea which pokemon I put in this empty space, could you help me? (I'm also having problems with the moveset, feel free if you want to help me with that too)

My current team:
    -Charizard (Fly/Flamethrower/Metal claw/SmokeScreen)
    -Vileplume (Petal Dance/Moonlight/Toxic/Acid)
    -Lapras (Ice Beam/Psychic/Surf/Perish Song)
    -Jolteon (Bite/Thunderbolt/Thunder Wave/Sand-Attack)
    -Snorlax (Body slam/Brick Break/Earthquake/Rest)
    (Can I access move relearner if current movesets are bad)

Pokemon on pc:
    Hitmonlee, Weedle, Tentacool, Geodude, Tangela, Rattata, Growlithe, Spearow, Goldeen, Pidgey, Aerodacly, Drowzee, Venonat, Oddish, Magneton, Ekans, Gyarados, Horsea, Meowth.
    (I am willing to train and evolve each one of them)

Additional rules of my nuzlock:
    -Level Cap: 54 (Lorelei's Lapras)
    -No items in battle
    -Battle style in Set

Game: Pokemon Fire Red

Note: I'm using google translate so I'm sorry if something sounds wrong

Last edited:
    Years
    • Any pronoun
    • Seen today
    Disclaimer: Not a Nuzlocker. Has not played Fire Red in ages either.

Worries about Bruno. Carries a lot of Fighting and Rock moves. Looks rough for Vileplume to handle, given Petal Dance and no items.

Thought about it for a while. Votes for Tentacruel. Takes Fighting moves well enough. Suggests something like Surf, Giga Drain, Sludge Bomb, and Blizzard (as a Lance backup). Could also play dirty and pick up Rest + Double Team with TMs. Might have a decent Hidden Power also.

TwoThree other decent choices:
    - Gyarados. Learns Dragon Dance at level 50. Excels if you can find a weak Pokemon to set up on. Values Intimidate quite highly too.
    - Hypno. Resists Fighting. Learns good moves, though: Hypnosis, Psychic, Calm Mind, Reflect, Light Screen, and Shadow Ball (with some TMs). May not see much action outside Bruno, however.
    - Magneton. Would be terrible for Bruno, but good elsewhere. Resists so much: Normal, Electric, Grass, Ice, Poison (immune), Flying, Psychic, Bug, Rock, Ghost, Dragon, Dark, and Steel. Ought to perform well against Lance.

As for other moves: Giga Drain for Vileplume over Acid. Hates being locked into Petal Dance. Gives you an alternate option (that heals) when you do not want to do that. Understands why you have Petal Dance, given Vileplume's shallow movepool and Giga Drain's low PP. Sees few opportunities for a weak Poison attack to do much good.

Looks good for your other moves, at a glance. Good luck on your playthrough.

Last edited:
    Years
    • Seen yesterday
    You can look at the E4 movesets to help you decide: https://bulbapedia.bulbagarden.net/wiki/Appendix:FireRed_and_LeafGreen_walkthrough/Section_15
    I mean, many of them garbage, look at that physical Jynx with not even a Psychic type move.

Gyarados: I never liked this Pokémon, but with its stats and Intimidate it should be fine. Its 4x weakness to Electric is irrelevant since no Pokémon in FRLG E4+Champion has any damaging Electric type move, so it's only weak to Bruno's Rock Tombs...

Tentacruel: Similarly, Electric weakness doesn't matter, Ground weakness doesn't matter because only Onyx and Rhydon have a Ground type move and Tentacruel will Surf them out before they can say hi, Psychic weakness doesn't matter since only Alakazam actually has a Psychic move. Tentacruel is also pretty fast, has decent bulk for a nuzlocke, and resists Agatha's Poison moves and Bruno's Fighting Stabs.

As for your movesets:

Get Shadow Ball for Jolteon if you can. It's good coverage against Agatha and against Blue's Alakazam and Exeggutor, and considering Jolteon stats it's way better than Bite.

Metal Claw on Charizard seems pointless. You likely don't want to leave Charizard in front of Onyx / Rhydon to begin with, but even if you have no choice Flamethrower should still actually do more damage considering the BP, STAB, and those Pokémon's trash special defenses.

Vileplume's Acid seems useless too.

Back