• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Which Rival brought out the best in Ash?

Years
    Whether it's Paul, Gary, Trip, Barry, etc, which rival do you believe had a significant effect on Ash and his journey and why? Which rivals helped him (directly or indirectly) push the boundaries of what he could do?

pkmin3033

Paul. Whilst Gary was a great foil for Ash in the earlier seasons, he just wasn't around enough to directly impact on him in any meaningful way; he was a cameo rival at best, a character of the day at worse. In the Sinnoh seasons Ash couldn't even sneeze without having Paul appear from out of the shadows to criticise him for it. The two were such polar opposites that they felt like genuine rivals, rather than two ten year-olds stuck in some godawful cheesy love-hate bromance. There was no "the more you hate someone the more you like them" thing going on with Ash and Paul - Ash hated Paul's way of training, and Paul was either indifferent to it or thought Ash was ridiculously naive...which, of course, only annoyed him even more.

Paul was the only one who really ever got a reaction out of Ash. I mean sure, Ash got annoyed with Gary and the others, but they never outright pissed him off the way Paul did. There was never really any attempt at being friendly after that initial introduction: the two were constantly at odds, which only made it that much better when they battled and when they were forced to work together, too.

They also learned quite a bit from one another - Paul using the counter-shield strategy against Ash was pure gold. Ash taking in Chimchar and raising it his own way, but taking the intiative from Paul to pit his Pokemon against one another to improve them. Paul's Torterra giving Ash's advice at varying evolutionary stages (for all the good it did) and so on. It felt natural for Ash to beat Paul at the end of the Sinnoh League; it was a really close battle and the culmination of a ridiculous amount of character development between the two.

Trip isn't even worth mentioning as a rival, and I always felt that Barry was more of a comic relief character than a real rival; he idolised Paul far too much to be a credible rival for Ash, and he was never really much of an influence. Gary was always one step ahead of Ash in the earlier seasons, but because of that we never really got to see enough of him, and in the end he wasn't so much a rival as he was a childhood friend - he took a different path in life and, even after Ash beat him, he could still wipe the floor with him later on...as was the case when his Electivire curbstomped Pikachu.

Years
    • Seen Oct 15, 2023
    Well that'll be Gary till the 3rd generation but then Paul showed what he was capable of. Many people think that Gary is the one but Ash was only so competitive with him because always when they cross paths gary was the one came out first. When they were small kids gary showed off because he knew magikarp's attacks (Yes! kids not a good reason to show off, bad manners). But when he defeated Gary in silver conference gary quit as a trainer and became a pokemon researcher ( shown later in the anime). So, his rival was gone.
    Nope! Not yet kids
    He can't keep him out of trouble so it didn't took much time for him to run into paul (Yes! kids the silly guy who didn't gave a da*n about his pokemons) ash finally got a competition and paul got the best of him. But still one thing is left kids whoever came in ash's way he lost trainer battles with them but never lost any Tournament/League matches with them (At least one statement that proves he's good). And before a lot of ash ketchum fans drop a lot of dislikes on me even i am his fan kids but you gotta accept the truth #REALITYCHECK#.

Itcheeee

All Hail Shadow
    Years
    I would make this longer, but as I have not watched the series after BW fully, I can only really go that far.
    I think Paul gave many a reason for Ash to do some good. Especially how he adopted his Chimchar without a second thought. The two made each other grow, and by the end of the DP series I think Paul had grown a lot more then he would have if not for meeting Ash.

I watched BW so quickly my memory on Trip isn't that great, but I would of liked to see him a bit more. :S

Gary's personality changed (or well, he just grew up quite well) so much between Kanto and DP he wasn't much of a rival than someone to look up to for Ash. I kinda liked the original Gary better xD But seeing as he was going into a more professional role (Gym Leader or working with Oak) it was only fitting that he grew up...a lot. He needed to.

Barry was kinda just....Barry XD I don't think Ash learned much from him (or Bianca for that matter)

Ritchie was a good friendly rival for Ash, this is where I think he really learned something and put his friendship, and treating him with respect made Ash grow. Kinda wish he had really returned. :/

Years
    • Seen Nov 20, 2016
    In my opinion, there were only two rivals who really got something out of Ash and those were Paul and Richie. Much of the reasoning for Paul were already wrote in this thread so I will not repeat them.
    As for Richie, they both learned a lot from each other and their friendly rivalry was the fuel for them to show something. Not to mention he was Ash's first real rival (I am sorry, but Gary hardly was serious rival in Kanto). The only rival who ever surpassed him IMO was Paul. All the other rivals simply was there so Ash will have something to do. That's my opinion.

Kurosaki

(「・ω・)「
    Years
    Paul.

He was the harshest rival so far, in personality, in battle, and with how he treated his Pokemon. He started out as literally the polar opposite of Ash, and I think that gave Ash the challenge and the drive to want to defeat him and teach him a lesson. He literally wanted to change Paul into a better person and a better Pokemon trainer, because he had so many words he wanted to mix with him through Pokemon battles. In the meantime, Ash learned quite a bit about being a trainer, what to do, and what not to do from Paul. I remember Ash worrying that maybe he was being too soft with his Pokemon, but then also knowing that Paul was way too harsh with his.

Paul always reminded me a lot of some of the competitive players of the games themselves, while Ash was the more casual player on the sidelines going "Wow, those guys are assholes".

Though, they learned from each other, and that was really interesting to see.

Years
    • Seen Apr 17, 2017
    Paul. Those that's explained in everyone elses' posts so I'm not going to repeat it.

Though, since someone brought up Ritchie I'll say that I have to agree and if he had been around longer I'm sure he would have continued to have been a fantastic rival for Ash. They definitely would have learned a lot from eachother by being the same and yet different at the same time. They wouldn't have contrasted like Paul and Ash, but the small differences would be been neat to see more of nonetheless.

Back