• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

3rd Gen Which starter did you choose?

Years
Charmander and Mudkip.
One point I choose Charmander because I wanted a Charizard. And for Mudkip, I was looking for Swampert. I like this type which only have one weakness.

White_Arcanine

Lonely and annoying.
Years
Emerald, Swampert. Mainly 'cause when I started Emerald I didn't really like Torchic or Treecko (Spelling?) very much, I still don't.

As for Fire Red I picked Bulbasaur, 'cause one of my friends loves that Pokemon and I named it after her.

Years
  • Seen Jan 11, 2014
I chose Charmander and Mudkip initially. Charmander was my first pokemon I ever owned actually as leaf green was the first game I ever played. Mudkip was My first on saphire I would think although I remember paying through as all of them. I am using torchick in my current play through of Emerald and Squirtle in my current play through of fire red.

Years
  • Age 25
  • Seen Oct 1, 2012
I chose Charmander everytime in FireRed, mainly because I found that with Bulbasaur, everything was too easy up until the Kanto League, where I got ****ing wrecked ! Same with Squirtle. Charmander always gave me such a challenge to the point where when I got to the League it was too easy.. Loved it ! xD as with R/S/E, I always chose Treecko but I found that Mudkip was more to my playstyle later on.

Years
  • Age 28
  • Seen Jun 11, 2023
I chose Charmander for Leafgreen, Torchic/Mudkip for Sapphire/Emerald.
Charmander was my obvious choice when I first started leafgreen, who wouldn't choose an awesome fire-breathing lizard that will evolve into a huge dragon! For Sapphire, I also chose the fire-type again, which was Torchic. But, when I started Emerald, I chose Mudkip, just so I can experience a different set of moves and also Mudkip will be insanely strong once it is fully evolved.

Demon.

Dovie'andi se tovya sagain
Years
  • Seen Jun 20, 2018
Charmander and Torchic. Fire type is best type.

Kranic

What did you say about my hair
Years
  • Seen Jul 31, 2014
Gen 3 is actually the only generation where I liked all the starters to almost equal levels. In other generations I always feel myself choosing one pokemon above all the others and having one that I never play with unless I really feel like doing something different.

Of course I always finding myself picking torchic a little more often than mudkip and not picking treeko as nearly as often as the other two, it's still much better than my habbits in other generations. (I can't remember the last time I played through kanto with a bulbasaur.)

julixl

Female Master
Years
  • Seen Mar 18, 2013
Torchic and Charmander too.

For odd numbered gens up to now, I've always ended up choosing Fire types. :'D I'm a little sad I'll be breaking said tradition for Gen 5 but oh well. The fire type was the only starter I liked in RSE and I love all the starters in FRLG but decided I like Charmander the most. ♥

yeah me too. I really find fire types interesting, but tepig didn´t fill up my expectatives... I prefer Oshawott.

Years
  • Seen Oct 4, 2012
Torchic and Charmander.
Charmander for the fact that it evolves into Charizard.

Years
  • Age 33
  • Seen Aug 21, 2021
Torchic in Pokemon Sapphire and Squirtle in Pokemon Fire Red

Then later I got Pokemon Ruby because my Sapphire went missing. I used Treecko that time.

Olli

I am still bathing in a summer's afterglow
Years
First time on Ruby, Mudkip. Two of my friends and I got the games just about the same time, and decided on starting our journies at the same time, where each of us would choose a different starter than the others. I ended up being last, and had to choose Mudkip, although I grew to really like it, and it became my primary Pokemon, although not surprising considering how strong it is. Although, while I do like Mudkip, Treecko comes just a little above it due to awesome its design is.

First time on Leaf Green, Charmander. This was pretty much tradition. Charizard was all the hype back in the days of R/B/Y, and despite not appearing as powerful with all the other, stronger Pokemon from other generations stealing its spotlight nowadays, it was still a favourite of mine when I first got a remake. I did have lots of trouble beating the first two gyms though, as I didn't catch any other Pokemon than Pidgey on my way up to the first gym, so that cried for excessive grinding. Despite Charizard being an old favourite, I still tend to use Venuaur the most, just because it's easier to plow through the first part of the game with it, but my friend and I did breed hundreds of Charizards at the point when we discovered breeding though lol

DisesioN

Same for me too. Torchic and Charmander. <3 Fire type pokemons :D

Batel

A nothing.
Years
Because t was my first Pokemon game, I picked the pokemon I thought looked the coolest, which was Torchic. Until Oshawott, Blaziken was my favorite Pokemon of all time. So I can definitely say I was happy with my choice. :D

As for LeafGreen, I picked Bulbasaur. It wasn't because I disliked Squirtle or Charmander... It was because I didn't know which of them to pick, so I picked Bulbasaur 'cause I was playing LeafGreen. XD;

joeyhuab

Best in the World
Years
First time I got a Pokemon game, was a Sapphire for GBA. First starter I chose, Treecko. I really don't know why, but yeah, after starting over and over, I kept choosing Mudkip then I stuck with Torchic. In Fire Red and Leaf Green, I always choose Charmander, with the exception of choosing Bulbasaur and Squirtle to complete the legendary dogs.

Agastya

Grinding failed. Item Grind level dropped by 3.
Years
  • Age 33
  • Seen Mar 19, 2023
I picked Mudkip first because it was blue and I really like blue.

The only other time I deviated away from doing Mudkip runs was trying out Torchic once, but I kept getting absorbed by Tate and Liza so I got mad and started with Mudkip again.

93Aiwass

Getting Back into Pokemon
Years
Do what thou wilt shall be the whole of the Law.

Mudkip and Bulbasaur. Simply put, both gave me type advantages against the first three gyms, minimum. ^_^

Love is the Law, Love under Will.

Back