• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

4th Gen Which starter did you choose?

Which starters did you choose?

• Total voters
Years
    • Seen Dec 30, 2011
    In my last playthrough of Pearl, I decided I wouldn't use one of the 3 starters, so I chose a turtwig. Then caught a Starly, and stored turtwig in the pc. I thought it would be interesting to see how my team develops with out one of the 3 standard starts, so far it's going well :D

In HeartGold, I chose Cyndaquil, as I always do in Gen2 games, Cyndaquil is by far my favourite Gen2 starter

Cloche

エスパーレディ
    Years
  • Chimchar and Cyndaquil. This was the only case where I chose the fire type. Other than torchic. I tend to lean towards grass/water. but, my love for Quilava got the best of me. :D

Zapperz

colour swapper!
    Years
    • Seen Oct 18, 2023
    SS: Cyndaquil
    PT: Chimchar

i always start with fire pokes cause its the hardest to train between the 3.

TwiDragon

The fun shawl be doubled!
    Years
  • I'm a bit of a sucker for "cute, "girly"," pokemon, so Chickorita is my favorite, plus its challenging.

All of the other starters felt easy for me, except for Piplup, but its only 2/3 gyms it will have trouble at. Chikorita has a problem at a lot of gyms, which I like :3

Years
  • I got Totodile ... haven't gotten Peal/Diamond/Platinum yet, but I have a feeling that if/when I do, I'd just trade them to my friend, restart, and have all three, because I'm just so damn indecisive.

I figure that when I'm done with SoulSilver I'll do the same thing with that game, and then trade them all over to White when I get THAT, because I just like having all of the starter Pokemon. It's some sick obsession I have, I swear.

If I could only choose one from each, I'd pick Totodile - as I said and did - because it's less popular than the overly-popular Cyndaquil, and probably Chimchar, just because I don't want to have same-type starters.

Freddy Fazbear

You want the moon? I'll give you the moon.
    Years
  • In my HG, I chose Totodile, although I stopped using it as a Feraligatr as soon as I got my friend's Palkia, which was just before the E4. I moved my Feraligatr up onto White anyways, but I kinda did that with all my pokemon from HG, so...

In Diamond, I really didn't like any of the starters, but I remembered how cool Infernape was, so I picked Chimchar. As soon as I start my Pearl, though (it's been sitting in my Supercard for like 6 months now as I continue to forget it exists), I am SO picking Turtwig.

Years
    • Seen Jan 2, 2012
    In my Heart Gold I chose Totodile, even though I might not use him later on in the game.

Shadowed Team

Kanto/Johto Pokémon Master
    Years
  • Cyndaquil to me is just awesome!!!!!!

Diamond: Piplup
    Pearl: Never Played It.
    Platinum: Chimchar

HeartGold: Never Played It.
    SoulSilver: Cyndaquil

Ritzz

Bazinga
    Years
  • I picked Turtwig in my first play of Pearl. I eventually used them all, but I couldn't stand Empoleon.

In Soul Silver I picked Cyndaquil. c:

Hydro Pumper

Water Pokemon Trainer
    Years
  • Hmmm as per usual, I chose the Water type starter Pokemon (it's become a tradition for me to always select the Water Pokemon, since they are my favourite type of Pokemon). Therefore, in Diamond and Platinum I chose Piplup, and in Heartgold and Soulsilver I selected Totodile (who is my favourite Water starter in general). As for Pearl, I chose Turtwig and Chimchar on separate "files", traded them over to my main game (Diamond and Platinum), reset the game and start again to choose the other "missing starter". :P

Iceshadow3317

Fictional Writer.
    Years
  • Let's see.
    Diamond: Piplup
    Heartgold: Cyndaquil

Piplup got my attention rigth away when I first seen the Sinnoh pokemon. I love penguins so I went with it.

Cyndaquil was who I started with in normal gold so long ago and I wanted to keep that up. Cydiaquil is one of my fav. Johto pokemon.

Years
    • Age 26
    • Seen Jul 14, 2021
    For my Diamond game, I chose Chimchar cos I am obsessed with Monkeys. For my Platinium game, I chose Turtwig for a change. I didn't chose Piplup cos I don't like Penguins. For my Heartgold Game, I chose Cyndaquil since I always chose Totodile during my Silver days...

Koi

Years
    • Seen Oct 24, 2023
    Starter Pokemon

~List of my starter Pokemon~

Diamond: Turtwig
    Pearl: Piplup
    Platinum(JP): Chimchar
    Soul Silver(JP): Totodile
    Soul Silver: Chikorita

P.S. If I ever get a chance to play Heart Gold, I'll be picking a Cyndaquil. 。◕‿◕。

Back