• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

4th Gen Which starter did you choose?

Which starters did you choose?

• Total voters
Years
  • So what was your starter choice in Diamond/Pearl/Platinum and HeartGold/SoulSilver?

Vote for the Sinnoh and Johto starter you chose in the poll provided!

In Sinnoh (Pearl), I chose Chimchar and in Johto (SoulSilver) I picked Cyndaquil. Yes, the only times I ever chose Fire Starters.

Years
  • I chose Turtwig and Totodile for my current games, I originally chose the fire starters also. I still have my Typhlosion with me today in White, and it's lvl 100 now, the other guy has been long gone since I couldn't get past the rock gym leader with him on my team.

Years
    • Age 28
    • Seen Feb 1, 2016
    I chose Turtwig in Pearl and Cyndaquil in Soul Silver. They both are great Pokémon.

Mentalii

Back
    Years
  • I always choose the water starters, they are the best for me. It's for this reason that I obviously chose Totodile in Soul Silver.
    It's cute, strong, tough, its last evolution is badass, and moreover it's my favourite starter ever since Silver version. So my vote isn't a surprise at all.
    However, despite my preference for water starter, I didn't choose Piplup in D/P/P, but Chimchar. I also had a game with Piplup, and I think it's really weak, its last evolution double type is totally uninteresting. So I began a new game and chose Chimchar, and I'm not disappointed, it's more useful that Piplup, even if the little penguin is nicer to my opinion.

Years
    • UK
    • Seen Jan 29, 2013
    Diamond and Platinum: Chimchar
    SoulSilver: Cyndaquil

I do love Fire-types. I got a copy of Pearl the other day though, and I'm thinking of starting with Turtwig on that. Just to mix it up a bit, since I haven't started with a Grass-type since Blue!

Hacker Bisharp

Bug reporter
    Years
    • Seen Aug 28, 2019
    In Pokèmon diamond/pearl/platinum i choose Chimchar
    In heart gold and soul silver i picked chikorita

Blaze the Cat

Life hurts, and so do I
    Years
    • Seen May 19, 2014
    In Heartgold I chose Totodile despite Cyndaquil being one of my faves.
    In Platinum I took Turtwig because I hate monkeys and my brother loves Turtwig

Years
    • Seen May 26, 2014
    Platinum - Piplup because Empoleon is awesome. :D
    SoulSilver - Cyndaquil because Typhlosion is awesome. :D

psyanic

pop a wheelie on a zeitgeist
    Years
    • Age 27
    • USA
    • Seen Apr 10, 2023
    In DPP, I chose Chimchar. I tried using Turtwig and Piplup before, but their final evolutions were just so slow. I hate being slow. So I prefer Chimchar.

HGSS... well in the originals I chose Cyndaquil, so naturally I chose it as well. However, I did a rerun of it and chose Totodile, since I'm in love with Feraligatr. It's worked out well anyway. I still prefer Cyndaquil though.

Nijiri

Manectric Fangirl.
    Years
  • In Diamond, I chose Chimchar because before Pokemon B/W came out, I thought that was the only flaming monkey in the whole Pokemon series (correct me if I'm wrong). Also, flaming monkeys are cool.
    In HeartGold, I chose Totodile mainly because I didn't really know what to pick at the time - Totodile was the result of my blind pick.

Back