• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

4th Gen Which starters did you pick?

Sales_Kital

Champion of Sinnoh
Years
  • In Pearl I went for Chimchar and named him Blaze, then in Platinum I got a Piplup named Frostbite.
    In Heart Gold I went with, I think Cindaquil, but I can't remember since It's been so long.

Mew

The New Species Pokémon
    Years
  • I chose Turtwig in DPPl and named Tortimer (10 points if you can guess the reference!) I chose Cyndaquil in SS.

Timbjerr

[color=Indigo][i][b]T-o-X-i-C[/b][/i][/color]
    Years
  • Turtwig in the Sinnoh-based games and Cyndaquil in the Johto-based games.

Torterra and Typhlosion are beasts, pure and simple. ^_^

Aquacorde

⟡ dig down, dig down ⟡
    Years
  • I always chose Piplup in Sinnoh! I tend to like water types and they can take a few hits while dishing out some good damage. Well, actually, I chose Chimchar once and gave up after trying to beat Roark because I couldn't work with it very well. Maybe it had crappy IVs or something idk because I always see people going on about how that line is hella.

Johto I always went with Cyndaquil. I just think they're adorable. And I never grab any other fire types so may as well, right? I don't really like any of the Johto starters much. I tend to be pretty ehhh about monotype Pokémon in general.

Years
  • I chose Turtwig in DPPl and named Tortimer (10 points if you can guess the reference!) I chose Cyndaquil in SS.

Animal Crossing. {XD}

For Platinum I chose Turtwig; ever since I saw the Gen IV starters he was my favorite. I love grass types and turtles, so I knew he was the one for me. I also like defensive ones, so that was a bonus.

And for Soul Silver I chose Cyndaquil, his squinty eyes caught my own eyes, plus I knew he was described as timid and that kinda related to me if that makes sense.

Years
  • Cyndaquil evolves into Quilava, which is epic. Quilave evolves into Typhlosion, which is still epic. I pretty much choose Pokémon because of their design, so a somewhat corpulent crocodile (Croconaw) did not appeal to me, and though I liked Bayleef (I loved Bayleef, I really did. It's simply the most irresistible Grass-type ever), the Hawaii-trip didn't do much good to him, in my humble opinion. I also found HG quite aimiable with Typhlosion, as opposed to Totodile in Silver, in which I could not ever win a battle. That I got to the Indigo League was quite the miracle actually, I was awful at Pokémon back then as a 6-year old or so :p
    As for the D/P/Pt: I've seen Blaziken, and now Infernape: why would I want a fire/fight-type monkey who is by far not as kick-ass as Blaziken. Okay, it's still cool, but I found Empoleon waaaaaayyyyyyyy cooler. :3 I never played Torterra actually :/

Kakarot1212

Resident Programmer
    Years
  • I used Chimchar on Platinum, Piplup on Pearl, and Turtwig on Diamond.

And a freaking nostalgia on HgSs using my long time partner cyndaquil. xD

Years
  • Totodile in my Heart Gold. This is the first time i have ever diverged from my PICK THE FIRE TYPE decisions as a kid. And I mainly did it because i wanted that Charizard from Oak in my team later. However, now Feraligator is one of my two favorite pokemon (guess the other one xD), and they are both safe and sound, level 80, on my black 2 :D

On Pearl, I took Chimchar, but it was pretty disappointing to be honest. In my second run, I took Turtwig, and that went a LOT better. Acrually, after that, Torterra is tied with Snivy and Bulbasaur as the best grass starter for me.

Of course, after playing through my HG 5 more times, i went through all of them, but Totodile still remains the undisputed king. The only one I have not even tried is Piplup... Now I feel bad. xD

Years
  • I always chose Cyndaquil in HG/SS - Because I liked it's typing and I liked both his evolutions ^^ Chickorita was kinda weak to me and I never liked Feraligatr's sprite for some reason D:

For Diamond/Pearl/Platinum I chose Turtwig - Because I like grass types and I love Torterra's typing and movepool :)

Kotetsu

バンパイア
    Years
  • I always choose the one with the coolest final evolution design. :3

So I chose Totodile in Soul Silver (I just love Feraligatr) and Chimchar in Pearl.

FloatingMew

Keeping 1 post a day ^^
    Years
  • I chose Turtwig in Sinnoh, I usually choose the grass types and Torterra is Awesome.

I chose Cyndaquil in Johto but I chose Totodile in my second run, I realized I like Totodile better.

Years
    • Age 29
    • Seen Mar 22, 2024
    I had Piplup in DPPt. I went with Chikorita in Gold and Silver, then Cyndaquil in Crystal and SoulSilver. The Totodile evolutionary line just never appealed to me.

Years
  • I chose Piplup in D/P/PT because Empoleon took my favorite final stage evolution of the 4th gen starters. In HG/SS I chose Cyndaquil because Typholosion is also a favorite of mine.

KorpiklaaniVodka

KID BUU PAWAA
    Years
  • I did 5 playthroughs of Platinum and 2 of SoulSilver.

Chose Turtwig twice, Chimchar twice and Piplup only once. As for SoulSilver, I went for Totodile in both runs.

Tox

fight me
    Years
  • I chose Turtwig in Platinum for some reason, even though I remember originally wanting to choose Piplup. No idea what made me change my mind but the Turtwig line is my favourite from that generation now so I'm glad I did.

In SoulSilver, I went with Chikorita because I'd restarted Silver just before the games were announced and I decided to use the same team. Cyndaquil had originally been my favourite of the three, but I'm actually starting to like Totodile more now. All three starters are awesome so I don't know who I'd choose if I had to play again.

Ramsie

Currently in Unova
    Years
  • In Sinnoh, I always chose Turtwig because I was not really into Pokemon when the games were announced, but when I looked at the starters, I saw Turtwig and thought it was so cute and that I had to get this game. Torterra is still a favorite of mine, even today.

As for Johto, I chose Chikorita in my original playthrough. I had planned my team to use Aracanine as a fire type and Lapras as my water type, so I decided to go with Chikorita. Plus, it was the first one I chose when I originally played through Silver.

Back