• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

3rd Gen Who Did you Choose

The Red Chain

Well I tried out all three starters in Sapphire because I couldn't decide which one I liked more.
    But when I bought Emerald I went with Treecko. and named him Geico
    I like Treecko the most out of those three because I've always loved geckos.
    I'm not usually a fan of grass type starters, but Treecko is just too awesome to ignore. ;3

For Leaf Green I chose Charmander just as I did in the old days with the first generation.
    Charmander is just really cute and the only one of the three Kanto starters that I like, even when it evolves.
    When Bulbasaur becomes Venusaur I don't like it much anymore, and same for Squirtle to Blastoise.
    But with Charmander I like both of it's evolutionary stages. 83​

Skaterzpenguin

Vulpix!? In my backyard!? :D
    Years
    • WI
    • Seen Feb 14, 2013
    my ruby: torchic = I like starting out fire first
    my sapphire: treecko = I pick him/her to beat kyogre. xD
    my emerald: did not use a starter. (do not care for mudkip that much... idk why.

firered: Squirtle = opposite type of the game same for leafgreen...
    leafgreen: charmander^^

~~sorry for not having any good reasons, but its pretty obvious. xD

AsaQuilava

Monstreaux
    Years
    • Seen Oct 29, 2012
    For my Sapphire game (that mysteriously vanished) I chose Mudkip first, but restarted when my Swampert was in the 60's because I was bored of it. Then I chose Torchic, because I HATE HATE HATE Sceptile.

On Emerald I started with Treecko, played through 'til he was in the high forties and restarted for Mudkip. I'm about to re-re-restart my game, though, and I'm going to pick Treecko and keep him a Grovyle.

On Leaf Green I picked Squirtle first because Blastoise is a beast (and this particular one was my first lv.100 :D). Then I went through with Bulbasaur, because I really strongly dislike Charizard. But my Venusaur disappoints me, so she's sitting pretty at lv.68 in a box. Then I went to Charmander reluctantly, and now have a very hated level 95 female Charizard. >.<

/long-winded post

Years
    • Seen Oct 12, 2010
    Well, according to me the best order in

1.Hoenn:

i.Torchic
    ii.Treecko
    iii.Mudkip

2.Johto

i. Cyndaquil
    ii. Chikorita
    iii. Totodile

3. Kanto
    i.Charmander
    ii.Squirtle
    iii.Bulbausaur

Katie_Q

Pokemon master in the making
    Years
  • I've chosen all of them in the different games.
    my latest chosen:
    In emerald I chose treeko (sadly though my emerald was given to my friend to borrow for a while, we don't really talk anymore... he probably doesn't even have my game anymore)
    I forget what I had in Ruby, but thats with my ex-friend as well
    In sapphire I'm restarting, I think I'll start with mudkip.

In FR I started with charmander
    And in LG I think it was bulbasaur, yet another game that went to my friend.... hmmm I need to get those games back. I think he has my mystery dungeon blue rescue team aswell:(

Last edited:
    Years
    • Seen Sep 18, 2020
    Sapphire: Torchic, with the thought that I could always kill it for some chicken-esque meat if I got lost in the long grass. It's cute.
    Fire Red: Charmander, more challenge in early game. I'd gone off starters and replaced it with Farfetch'd anyway.

Years
  • In the Hoenn games I usually choose Mudkip because it's a great HM slave, especially when working together with Tropius.
    In the Kanto games I have no real preference for any of the starters, most of the time I choose randomly here.

Chary

Yeah-Hah!
    Years
  • I chose Mudkip as my first ever Pokemon in Ruby (I had just had begun to start playing any games of the Pokemon series when I was 7yrs old)
    Then I chose Squirtle in Fire Red, but when I saw a Charmander,I traded all my good pokemon over and started with my new favorite CHARMANDER!

...And then the Char-obsession set in...:P

:mudkip^_^:,:10:

La Foudre

<3 Sneasel.
    Years
  • The first time I played Ruby, I chose Torchic, and every time after that I chose Mudkip.

In LeafGreen, it changes nearly everytime I play it. I've used all three. At the moment I'm using Bulbasaur.

BHwolfgang

kamikorosu
    Years
  • In Sapphire and Emerald, I flip a coin. If it's head, then I pick Torchic; if it's tail, I pick Treecko.

dozo

party hardy
    Years
    • Seen Feb 3, 2014
    The first time I played Sapphire, I always chose Torchic
    but then after a while all I chose was Mudkip

Now it's back to Torchic x]

Years
    • Seen Jan 13, 2010
    My first choices were Treecko in Sapphire and Charmander in Firered. Both of which no longer exist in any of my games. lol.

chaos11011

[untitled]
    Years
    • Age 27
    • MA
    • Seen May 4, 2021
    Well currently I have a Sceptile in my Emerald because I used Mukip numerous times and I simply wanted a Ninetales so iI didnt choose Torchick

On my Leaf Green I'm doing a "Rival" Run which Consists om me using the Rivals Pokemon an I chose Squrtle.I didnt want to use a Charzard cause that would lead to 3 Flying types.I also used Venasaur Numerous times.Also Gary has a Blastoise in the Anime so yeah

Years
    • Seen Jan 12, 2010
    For Ruby Version, I ALWAYS go through the game with my trusty Torchic . As for FR, I always do Charmander runs :3

Back