• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

6th Gen Who else found Pokemon X/Y was better than they initially thought?

Years
    • Seen Feb 29, 2024
    So I personally wasn't looking that forwards to the new Pokemon games, as I thought it seemed rather OTT, and too Digimon like, and after Black 2/White 2 sorta let me down a bit, I had the same feelings about this. But damn, I got it on release day, played it and couldn't put it down.

So who else was more than shocked about how great this game was? Or are you the opposite? Are you disappointed when you expected to love it?

BadPokemon

Child of Christ
    Years
  • This game is completely awesome! I love playing it and I still have a ton of things to do. Who says there is little post-game stuff? I started to breed, need to collect all mega stones, collect fossils, explore, catch mewtwo, Zapdos, and zygrade, get version exclusives. Wifi battles are really awesome! When I'm done with my team, I will challenge the elite four again. I rank this game a 10/10!

Years
    • Seen Feb 29, 2024
    This game is completely awesome! I love playing it and I still have a ton of things to do. Who says there is little post-game stuff? I started to breed, need to collect all mega stones, collect fossils, explore, catch mewtwo, Zapdos, and zygrade, get version exclusives. Wifi battles are really awesome! When I'm done with my team, I will challenge the elite four again. I rank this game a 10/10!

Yea, I've definitely enjoyed the post game as much as the actual first playthrough.
    There's a lot more to do, and I've found breeding way more enjoyable this time round. The whole mega-evolution really mixes up competitive play a lot.

Years
  • I'm gonna be as honest as possible here: while I did enjoy the game quite a bit, particularly the gigantic Kalos Pokédex, it just left me wanting more after the main story was over. I didn't find many battles to be very fun gameplay wise, especially not the Gym Leaders (except maybe Clemont), the Elite Four and the Champion, who was actually even worse than the Gym Leaders (although admittedly, there were tons of epic visuals). I haven't really played the post-game all that much, although I have bred a few new things since.

I just can't part ways with (the strong Pokémon in) my main White 2 game. I just feel that after there was so much to do in that, as well as so many battles I thoroughly enjoyed in that, this just leaves me wanting more. I don't know. (Seriously, I ranted about this in the Gen V section, but I feel B2/W2 are by far the most under-appreciated games in the main series.)

OmegaRuby and AlphaSapphire

10000 year Emperor of Hoenn
    Years
  • I found them to be better than my predictions leading up to the release, but not meeting my best hopes when I had higher hopes for the game (I started losing hope as release came closer). However the post game felt flatter than Hoenn's, and Unova initial pairs' post game.

Years
  • However the post game felt flatter than Hoenn's, and Unova initial pairs' post game.

Emerald maybe not if only for the Battle Frontier, but I still think XY's post-game is better than Ruby/Sapphire's (which I consider second worst, guess which one #1 is). That had NOTHING except Rayquaza and a Battle Tower that required you to go in at either Level 50 or 100 (if you were even one level above 50, it could only enter 100). Thankfully, Generation IV fixed that by auto-setting stuff to Level 50.

Years
    • Seen Feb 29, 2024
    Yea, In truthfulness it was an easy playthrough, I guess that's one of the main flaws. I never struggled at all, even being underleveled at the Elite 4, I wrecked them without really trying.
    Surprised to see that people were so let down by the whole game though.

Mr.Fish

Splashing About
    Years
    • Seen Jun 25, 2021
    I think there should have been more Mega evolutions. Hopefully in future games they will add more. Raichu should have gotten one.

Years
  • Loved the games. As always: the sequel/ gen instalment will be a better/ buffed and loaded version: which I can't wait for, but the games are great to me and are the first games that made me feel like pokemon will never be the same again ( for the better IMO).

Years
  • I was actually happy with the game now that I've played it myself. The graphics are really beautiful and I loved how Kalos was based on France, which is already a place known for beauty and they heavily referenced a lot of French culture in the game itself. Plus, I loved the wide selection of Pokemon available before post-game, they included a lot of my faves.

Although I've heard some complaining about the post-game, pretty much the only "bad" one I know of is Ruby & Sapphire. There's still some good post-game content in X & Y, especially rebattling a lot of trainers in Lumiose City and of course, buying all the clothes for your character!

Years
    • Seen Feb 29, 2024
    Loved the games. As always: the sequel/ gen instalment will be a better/ buffed and loaded version: which I can't wait for, but the games are great to me and are the first games that made me feel like pokemon will never be the same again ( for the better IMO).

Gotta agree that they were really amazing. There are little improvements that can be made here and there, but it's the same with any game really.

I was actually happy with the game now that I've played it myself. The graphics are really beautiful and I loved how Kalos was based on France, which is already a place known for beauty and they heavily referenced a lot of French culture in the game itself. Plus, I loved the wide selection of Pokemon available before post-game, they included a lot of my faves.

Although I've heard some complaining about the post-game, pretty much the only "bad" one I know of is Ruby & Sapphire. There's still some good post-game content in X & Y, especially rebattling a lot of trainers in Lumiose City and of course, buying all the clothes for your character!

I really liked the ability to customise characters, but really do wish you could change the hair/facial features. It was a bit diappointing that you couldn't.

Last edited:
    Years
    • Seen Feb 9, 2014
    At first I thought mega evolution was a rip off of digimon (maybe it is we'll never know) and I also disliked the 3D graphics and everything. Then I bought the game and then I was really surprised by how fun it is and wrong I was. It's really the first pokemon game that I've been playing past the elite four!

Years
    • Seen Feb 29, 2024
    Well you can actually change hair color and style, in a hairdresser shop in Lumiose City.

I actually found this out the other day, whilst unlocking the 16th O-power, I feel a bit silly really, although I haven't explored all of the areas yet, so I'm sure there are more awesome things I've missed out on!

blayzin-it

ashes to ashes
    Years
  • I only just bought it and I havent put it down yet, only to eat, sleep and the occasianal facebook and toilet break.
    This game is amazing c:

Years
    • Seen Feb 9, 2014
    Did anyone else notice the extremely short save time? I always hated the older gen's long save time (especially the "SAVING A LOT OF DATA" from Gen IV) but now it takes less than a second!

Broncos

Jesus take the wheel
    Years
    • Seen Feb 2, 2016
    I bought Y the day it came out and put it down when I caught Yveltal. This was after i restarted like 4 times. I haven't touched it nor do I want to complete it, at least not right now. I just felt like I was side-tracked with breeding and trading - ya know, not really focusing on the game. OCD, I guess. So I bought X and currently on my second badge. X and Y are different than previous Gens, for sure. The customization option, Super-training, etc., all add to the experience.

Sure there are things that could've made it better, but if we get spoiled today, it would ruin it for us tomorrow.

Years
  • Did anyone else notice the extremely short save time? I always hated the older gen's long save time (especially the "SAVING A LOT OF DATA" from Gen IV) but now it takes less than a second!

I did! It was so quick!

And this was definitely my favourite Pokemon. That's been a tough one to beat since HG and SS.

This game has had alot of thought put into it. Apart from a few scrapes, this was my perfect-vision of a pokemon game :)

Years
  • I was kinda sad that the story felt short. And that's with taking huge breaks between playing so I wouldn't beat it in like 3 days. Also, what unexpectedly became a time suck for me was not breeding, which usually is for me, or even training my pokemon (Exp share being changed made it too easy!), or even the mini games I end up loving so much. It was collecting clothes!! I got max style really easily I always found myself going back and forth between doing things in lumiose city to battling just to get more money to buy clothes!! @.@ I really didn't expect to have so much fun from actually getting to change what my player character looks like, before I'd get bored and sometimes restart as the other gender just to change things up a bit. I have to say I was pleasantly surprised about that because even in games with customization I tend to not go this overboard.

Back