• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Who would win out of the Starter Trio's?

• 1st Gen: Kanto

Votes: 9 31.0%
  • 2nd Gen: Johto

Votes: 1 3.4%
  • 3rd Gen: Hoenn

Votes: 6 20.7%
  • 4th Gen: Sinnoh

Votes: 8 27.6%
  • There all equal in there own ways

Votes: 5 17.2%

• Total voters
Years
  • As the Question Says each region has there starter trio

Kanto:
    Bulbasaur > Ivysaur > Venusaur
    Chamander > Charmeleon > Charizard
    Squirtle > Wartortle > Blastoise

Johto:
    Chikorita > Bayleef > Meganium
    Cydaquil > Quilava > Typhlosion
    Totodile > Croconaw > Feraligatr

Hoenn:
    Treecko > Grovyle > Sceptile
    Torchic > Combusken > Blaziken
    Mudkip > Marshtomp > Swampert

Sinnoh:
    Turtwig > Grotle > Torterra
    Chimchar > Monferno > Internape
    Piplup > Prinplup > Empoleon

so who would win if each starter trio from each region came face to to face and battled.

Shiny

content creator on twitch
    Years
  • *Cough* *Cough* *Spelling* Yeah like there is Fighting, Ground & Steel to negate the normal Fire > Grass > Water routine 8)

Rebellious Treecko

The coolest.
    Years
  • The Hoenn starters would win imo.
    All of the starter Pokemon there are pretty popular in their own ways. *coughMudkipmeme*
    But the third gen wins mainly because of Treecko. *shot*

Walrein

Banned
    Years
  • Sinnoh
    All type combos remove geart weaknesses:
    Empoleon is not grass weak
    Torterra is not posion weak and is effective against fire
    Internape is not rock weak

Years
    • Seen Feb 3, 2023
    I think the double-types of the starters in Sinnoh make them weaker (Empoleon has to be careful when facing Golem, earthquake is super effective). Kanto has the strongest (in my opinion). Charizard is Fire/Flying and is technically dragon (can learn dragon moves :)), Blastoise is a very strong water type which, when both combined, can overcast a shadow on Venesaur which only has 2 good moves (Solar Beam is the 1st and 2nd gens and Frenzy Plant in the 3rd and 4th gens).

Skaterzpenguin

Vulpix!? In my backyard!? :D
    Years
    • WI
    • Seen Feb 14, 2013
    I say the 3rd gen. because they are awesome starters and they know good moves better than the others I think.

Years
  • 3rd Generation. All of you are saying that 4th Generation has secondary types...

Swampert = Water / Ground
    Blaziken = Fire / Fighting

In my opinion, 3rd Generation wins. Swampert's only weakness is grass whilst compared to Empoleon who has Ground, Fighting, and Electric weakness. Empoleon can however learn Grass Knot, but even still that might not be able to take Swampert down. One Earthquake from Swampert is all that's needed.

Blaziken compared to Infernape. The only real way an Infernape can beat Blaziken so easily is with Earthquake. I haven't seen many Infernape's with that. Blaziken can learn Brave Bird and take out Infernape one hit. Especially if Blaziken is holding a Focus Sash or Choice Scarf.

Sceptile compared to Torterra. Sceptile is weak to Flying, Bug, Ice, Poison and Fire. Torterra is weak to Ice 4x however. Sceptile has amazing Special Attack and speed, and if it learned Hidden Power Ice then Torterra is gone.

Blademaster_Jale

100% Jesus Freak.
    Years
  • i think theyre all pretty balanced. sure, all three Sinnoh starters have secondary types, but doesnt that mean they dont get as much of a boost for those moves? Sceptile, Blastoise, and the Johto starters are all pure in their type, so when they use a move of that type it gets a better boost than if they had another type. plus, secondary types often increase the amount of weaknesses they have. Torterra's weakness to Ice is increased from 2.0 to 4.0 by its Ground type attributes, and it cancels out the strength it has against Water attacks. im just using Torterra as an example here, by the way.
    but, if it was a contest of coolness, definately kanto. you cant beat Charizard.

BeachBoy

S P A R K of madness
    Years
  • 3rd Generation. All of you are saying that 4th Generation has secondary types...

In my opinion, 3rd Generation wins. Swampert's only weakness is grass whilst compared to Empoleon who has Ground, Fighting, and Electric weakness. Empoleon can however learn Grass Knot, but even still that might not be able to take Swampert down. One Earthquake from Swampert is all that's needed.

Blaziken compared to Infernape. The only real way an Infernape can beat Blaziken so easily is with Earthquake. I haven't seen many Infernape's with that. Blaziken can learn Brave Bird and take out Infernape one hit. Especially if Blaziken is holding a Focus Sash or Choice Scarf.

Sceptile compared to Torterra. Sceptile is weak to Flying, Bug, Ice, Poison and Fire. Torterra is weak to Ice 4x however. Sceptile has amazing Special Attack and speed, and if it learned Hidden Power Ice then Torterra is gone.

I completely agree with uh....relyt :\
    Just because sinnoh has duel types doesn't make that great...and everything he said basically is what I want to say

Sinnoh also lacks some in the speed department, I think Hoenn could take the easy advantage and win with versatility...

The 1st and 2nd gen really arn't that versatile, so I couldn't really touch them in case. Sceptile really is the turning point. With it's speed and with choice specs does a nice toll on sinnoh I assume...

Infernape really is a beast though, so it does depend on the moves of which and rolls I guess...''Ill go 60% Hoenn" :P

Faceless*

YES!
    Years
    • ?
    • Seen Jan 17, 2013
    3rd Generation. All of you are saying that 4th Generation has secondary types...

It's a shame, Infernape itself defeats all three Hoenn starters

4th Generation (Sinnoh) are easily the more powerful starters, Kanto probably having the weakest of all the starters. (this is not suppose to be an offense for all you Charizard fans)

If you need the scenario if you disagree with Infernape defeating all of Hoenn's starters, here it is :

Swampert Grass Knot from Infernape
    Sceptile Fire Blast from Infernape
    Blaziken Close Combat/Earthquake from Infernape

Don't even try to ask me why I say Close Combat beats Blaziken, that only proves you see Pokemon beats each other by weaknesses, well it doesn't

In my opinion, Empoleons Dual Steel/Water type was primarily designed for Sandstorm immunity. Sandstorm teams rarely have a Special Tank, Empoleon provides that.

As for Torterra, it's resistant to both Ground and Rock, but it has the nasty Ice weakness, Empoleon easily covers that.

Years
    • Seen Feb 9, 2008
    KANTO!!!!!

I think Kanto, I mean....Look at their pokemons final stages 0_o
    Combined, they can kick ass!!

*Spark

Old school ftw!.
    Years
  • The Kanto trio. Why?

Because the're Super effective!

Years
    • Seen Jan 26, 2014
    *Spark!? Mewtwo's not in Brawl!? Nooooooo! He's like the only Pokémon that's actually cool! It's iconic almost!
    And what did they replace it with? Lucairo or whatever that thing is? Stupid, stupid, stupid.

anyways, yeah my vote goes with Kanto... because they're SUPER EFFECTIVE!

*Spark

Old school ftw!.
    Years
  • *Spark!? Mewtwo's not in Brawl!? Nooooooo! He's like the only Pokémon that's actually cool! It's iconic almost!
    And what did they replace it with? Lucairo or whatever that thing is? Stupid, stupid, stupid.

Nope. Mewtwo's not in brawl... it used substitute!. And Kanto ftw!.

4th Generation (Sinnoh) are easily the more powerful starters, Kanto probably having the weakest of all the starters.

Funny how you say Kanto starters are the weakest, without giving any reason. :/

Last edited:

Faceless*

YES!
    Years
    • ?
    • Seen Jan 17, 2013
    Funny how you say Kanto starters are the weakest, without giving any reason. :/

I don't believe one would actually require the reason, they are BROKEN.

Charizard's Fire/Flying type gives it 4x weakness to Rock-type, Stealth Rock kicks him out completely

Venusaur can't touch Empoleon who is supposed to be the "Water" type starter, Empoleon is part-Steel, and Venusaurs movepool gives any decent person that Venusaur NEEDS a Ground move

Blastoise has trouble dealing damage, you switch Blastoise in, Rapid Spin, what next? Toxic? lol.

Back