• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Why are Chinese Parents Superior

ShinyMeowth

Gone forever
Years
  • I live in Greece, and my parents fit to the article's description of American parents. I love my parents, but I hate the fact that they made that choice. Pushing your kid to its limits and further is the best way to raise it, since it guarantees higher chances of success in its life later on. Since my parents haven't been doing that for me, I've had to do it myself. I've had to force myself to work as much as I could, and I've pushed myself to my limits countless times. Still, I haven't managed to make the most out of myself. I started playing the piano this year, and I'm already working on Beethoven's Moonlight Sonata. Believe it or not, my mother actually dislikes that, since it counters her ways of slacking off and not focusing on my goals. Had I listened to her, my friends who have had experience playing the piano, or even my music teacher, I couldn't have brought my skills out, and I would probably have gotten bored of it and given up. As the article mentioned, achieving success and receiving praise is incredibly rewarding, and much fun. Another example is my studying of calculus last summer, at 13, which of course the Mathematician at my school frowned upon. But now I know more than my teachers, and find myself correcting them at the class all the time. I like that. For one, I am definitely not going to repeat my parents' mistake. I will raise my children by Chinese standards, and make them even better than myself. After all, what's more rewarding than seeing your children surpassing your achievements?

Now, Meduza, I have to disagree with your remarks on that mother's choices.
    I disagee with some of the choises these parents are making.

These are the following things Chinese children are not allowed to do.

• attend a sleepover (What's wrong with this? They're not going to become rebels after one little sleepover)
    As much as you might find this ridiculous, one sleepover can sabotage a hard-working parent's years' time worth of effort. I'm 14, and my childhood experiences have been very fresh, and one thing I can definitely say is that when multiple kids are left unattended, they can sabotage each other's behavior, eventually growing more and more immature. I would never let my child receive influence by somebody else, especially from an average child at its age.
    • have a playdate (That's just wrong. You hsouldn't keep them from playdates if they want one.)
    Same thing happens here, bad influence is always there to destroy your kid's future.
    • be in a school play (Again,what's wrong with this? It could be very educational)
    School plays are not only pointless, but also time-consuming, distracting, humiliating, and a huge source of bad influence for kids.
    • complain about not being in a school play (Freedom of speech?)
    I have my reasons for my decisions, my 8-year old kid is not one to question them.
    • watch TV or play computer games (Okay I agee to an extent. I'm sure time limits would be helpful)
    I've grown up with time limits on the computer. It did not work. My kids are going to only be allowed to play Pokemon games, and watch the Pokemon anime, and use of the computer will be restricted to forums, news websites and blogs, that will first have to be approved by me or my wife.
    • choose their own extracurricular activities (How in the world can they have ANY fun if they can't even choose their own activities? That shouldn't be the parents choice.)
    I am going to refer you to my first and second points about bad influence. My kids are not going to be involved with sports, art or anything related to that. I actually completely agree to the article writer's choice of Piano and Violin, but I am going to expand it with Chess.
    • get any grade less than an A ( So what, one little B and/or C ruins it? Be at least a LITTLE more leniant.)
    Leniency causes kids to slack off. The Chinese are perfectly correct in their point about imperfect grades implying lack of hard work.
    • not be the No. 1 student in every subject except gym and drama ( I'd hate to see what would happen if there were two different children in a class living by this rule <.< They should aim high, but not for perfection)
    That is totally wrong. You have to open your eyes and look at the real world. Perfection is perfection, anything less than that is imperfect, and imperfection is simply not enough. It would be a waste to let your kids do anything less than the best they can, and I am not going to follow that path.
    • play any instrument other than the piano or violin ( Are saxophones and guitars are evil?)
    The answer here is obvious, but since people fail to realize it I will have to bring it up. By choosing a guitar, a keyboard, a synthesizer, you name it, the kid is going to end up listening to Lady Gaga and Justin Bieber. An educated person must also have musical education, and real music is the way to go. And by that I mean classical music. The writer is wrong here, however, I will give you that, but that is not for the reason you used, it is simply for the fact that symphonic orchestras require more instruments than the piano and the violin. Your examples were flawed, but I would accept any classical instrument.
    • not play the piano or violin. (Oh, god forbid that one. What would happen to them if they didn't play specific instruments )
    My kids will play both of those instruments. They will thank me for that later. I am not going to expand on my reasons, they are pretty obvious.
    And read this after I looked into the article more:

If a Chinese child gets a B—which would never happen—there would first be a screaming, hair-tearing explosion. The devastated Chinese mother would then get dozens, maybe hundreds of practice tests and work through them with her child for as long as it takes to get the grade up to an A.
    Yes. She is right. That would happen. And the Chinese mother would have done the perfect thing.

Years
  • I live in Greece, and my parents fit to the article's description of American parents. I love my parents, but I hate the fact that they made that choice. Pushing your kid to its limits and further is the best way to raise it, since it guarantees higher chances of success in its life later on. Since my parents haven't been doing that for me, I've had to do it myself. I've had to force myself to work as much as I could, and I've pushed myself to my limits countless times. Still, I haven't managed to make the most out of myself. I started playing the piano this year, and I'm already working on Beethoven's Moonlight Sonata. Believe it or not, my mother actually dislikes that, since it counters her ways of slacking off and not focusing on my goals. Had I listened to her, my friends who have had experience playing the piano, or even my music teacher, I couldn't have brought my skills out, and I would probably have gotten bored of it and given up. As the article mentioned, achieving success and receiving praise is incredibly rewarding, and much fun. Another example is my studying of calculus last summer, at 13, which of course the Mathematician at my school frowned upon. But now I know more than my teachers, and find myself correcting them at the class all the time. I like that. For one, I am definitely not going to repeat my parents' mistake. I will raise my children by Chinese standards, and make them even better than myself. After all, what's more rewarding than seeing your children surpassing your achievements?

As much as you might find this ridiculous, one sleepover can sabotage a hard-working parent's years' time worth of effort. I'm 14, and my childhood experiences have been very fresh, and one thing I can definitely say is that when multiple kids are left unattended, they can sabotage each other's behavior, eventually growing more and more immature. I would never let my child receive influence by somebody else, especially from an average child at its age.
    Same thing happens here, bad influence is always there to destroy your kid's future.
    School plays are not only pointless, but also time-consuming, distracting, humiliating, and a huge source of bad influence for kids.
    I have my reasons for my decisions, my 8-year old kid is not one to question them.
    I've grown up with time limits on the computer. It did not work. My kids are going to only be allowed to play Pokemon games, and watch the Pokemon anime, and use of the computer will be restricted to forums, news websites and blogs, that will first have to be approved by me or my wife.
    I am going to refer you to my first and second points about bad influence. My kids are not going to be involved with sports, art or anything related to that. I actually completely agree to the article writer's choice of Piano and Violin, but I am going to expand it with Chess.
    Leniency causes kids to slack off. The Chinese are perfectly correct in their point about imperfect grades implying lack of hard work.
    That is totally wrong. You have to open your eyes and look at the real world. Perfection is perfection, anything less than that is imperfect, and imperfection is simply not enough. It would be a waste to let your kids do anything less than the best they can, and I am not going to follow that path.
    The answer here is obvious, but since people fail to realize it I will have to bring it up. By choosing a guitar, a keyboard, a synthesizer, you name it, the kid is going to end up listening to Lady Gaga and Justin Bieber. An educated person must also have musical education, and real music is the way to go. And by that I mean classical music. The writer is wrong here, however, I will give you that, but that is not for the reason you used, it is simply for the fact that symphonic orchestras require more instruments than the piano and the violin. Your examples were flawed, but I would accept any classical instrument.
    My kids will play both of those instruments. They will thank me for that later. I am not going to expand on my reasons, they are pretty obvious.
    Yes. She is right. That would happen. And the Chinese mother would have done the perfect thing.

Again, you seem to have missed the points concerning how cultural practices effect education. In Chinese/Asian culture, this might be the Ok or right thing to do, however, that doesn't make it ""right" or the "right way to raise children" by a long shot. And no, one sleepover will not sabotage your child and turn he/she into an unruly brat. Just as not forcing them to learn an instrument, won't doom their educational future, and a B in a class won't do that either. You can do that with your own family, that's fine, just as that Professor can, but don't boast that it's the only right way, or the "perfect way" You're 14. You have a lot of time before then, and some things/viewpoints might change before then.

And remember, this woman has indoctrinated these kids into this system, and they're living totally according to her rules, not theirs. And I think it would be interesting to see how the kids would do in the real world, without Mom, not their mother's perfect structured world.

metronome

dinosaurs are cool
    Years
    • Seen Aug 13, 2011
    I also have to resist a rant here. Being actually Chinese, I have a personal interest in the topic, and this article has been circulating around.

Amy Chua, I think, is misguided in her attempt to speak for all Chinese parents. She herself represents a very small sample of the different backgrounds, ideas, and values possessed by Chinese parents, and I really don't think that she's represented the general Chinese way of parenting as much as her own specific style in this excerpt. There are some good nuggets in there, but it really could have been better written.

But this woman genuinely believes that this is what is best for her kids, and has chosen to actively try and guarantee their future success. And these kids are going to be more successful than their peers because of their ethic, their discipline, their high personal standards, and their ability to set and achieve realistic goals that bring themselves satisfaction. Creativity, genius, inspiration must be harnessed along with these values to bring about an actual end product. Without it, you may be incredibly smart/emotionally mature/talented/what have you, but there's a higher likelihood that you become complacent and achieve less than someone raised in this way. If you decide to go off and pursue your own path, any success is yours, but any failure is also your own failure.

The bottom line is, every kid will be able to do what they want at a certain, inevitable stage in their lives, where you are your own master, but life gets much harder. The purpose this parent is trying to fulfill is to prepare her children for that stage by building up their confidence with genuine, solid achievements and thereby making them have faith in their own ability, and by instilling in them the ethic needed to deal with the problems of day-to-day life.

That's the general philosophy that I've personally found lies behind Chinese parenting; the details of execution vary widely, though. Ms. Chua obviously does not represent all Chinese parents.

I could go on for pages about emotion and incidents and motivation and the nature of learning, but I wanted to avoid a rant.

(Plus, I need to get back to my homework, haha)

Melody

Banned
    Years
  • I disagree. Asian/Chinese parents are not superior. No parent or group of parents or any parents who observe any specific way of parenting are superior. Parenting is what it is, and is not really a competition or something that should be rated on unless it's obvious that the child is unwell. :/

It was not too long ago that parents in western culture were that strict. It is merely that over the space of the generations that have passed since that time, that more people have been innovating their parenting skills to incorporate the elements of our modern society.

You must remember the many differences between western culture and Asian culture in general, as well as the differences between not only Chinese culture and Asian culture as a whole but the differences between the Chinese culture and the western culture that aren't implicitly shared with the Asian and western culture differences, as well as the differences between American culture and Western culture AS WELL!

When you do all the cultural math, you realize that parenting in both cultures are just as well for the cultures. Yes, all cultures do have flaws, and I think anyone who can openly admit them and understand them for what they are and why they exist is someone who is ahead of the curve, because they can teach their children the better way. :3

When new parents teach their children in a way to correct a problem in the culture, then it's always good for society as a whole...and is therefore the kernel core of parenting, among many other things that even I have yet to fully understand...and likely won't until I become a parent myself. XD

ShinyMeowth

Gone forever
    Years

• Again, you seem to have missed the points concerning how cultural practices effect education. In Chinese/Asian culture, this might be the Ok or right thing to do, however, that doesn't make it ""right" or the "right way to raise children" by a long shot. And no, one sleepover will not sabotage your child and turn he/she into an unruly brat. Just as not forcing them to learn an instrument, won't doom their educational future, and a B in a class won't do that either. You can do that with your own family, that's fine, just as that Professor can, but don't boast that it's the only right way, or the "perfect way" You're 14. You have a lot of time before then, and some things/viewpoints might change before then.

And remember, this woman has indoctrinated these kids into this system, and they're living totally according to her rules, not theirs. And I think it would be interesting to see how the kids would do in the real world, without Mom, not their mother's perfect structured world.
    You are the one who has actually missed the point here. As you can see in that article, that way of raising children does work perfectly. The writer's daughter managed to pull off that piece on the piano, a thing she would never had done if her mother hadn't given her the right motivation to do so. Paying incredible attention to your children's emotions is bound to backfire, since it will spoil them, and they won't be ready to face the real world when they become adults. One sleepover will sabotage your child, since it will show them that it is okay to be distracted from work and loaf around. Remember that one's character and personality is developed much early in their childhood, so losing your grip at that time is going to be irreparably detrimental to the process of raising your children. People don't automatically grow mature at 18. If you prepare them for real life in advance, you are only helping them.
    About mentioning this is the perfect way, I have one thing to say: People raised that way are more successful in their lives than ones who are not. I am also going to add that I want my children to be successful. That is the perfect way. And I really doubt I am going to change my views, since I have always used rational reasons for my choices, not emotional. Since that is the most rational way to raise your children (read above for citation), I am going to follow it. I have no reason to change that decision.

About your question regarding those children's future, the way she raised them is actually going to help them, since it is a perfect emulation of the real world. Your boss wants his job done by a deadline, flawed work, or failure to make it at the deadline will not be tolerated. That is the real world. Her children have been brought up in a way that introduced them to the real world. That way, they will be prepared to face it. After all, the perfect structured world is what the writer's view of American children face. Once they become adults and try to find a job, they can't slack off anymore, and forcing them to change their whole attitude towards life at 18 is going to be much, much harder than it would be if they were raised correctly in the first place.

Years
  • Paying incredible attention to your children's emotions is bound to backfire, since it will spoil them, and they won't be ready to face the real world when they become adults. One sleepover will sabotage your child, since it will show them that it is okay to be distracted from work and loaf around. Remember that one's character and personality is developed much early in their childhood, so losing your grip at that time is going to be irreparably detrimental to the process of raising your children. People don't automatically grow mature at 18. If you prepare them for real life in advance, you are only helping them.
    About mentioning this is the perfect way, I have one thing to say: People raised that way are more successful in their lives than ones who are not. I am also going to add that I want my children to be successful. That is the perfect way. And I really doubt I am going to change my views, since I have always used rational reasons for my choices, not emotional. Since that is the most rational way to raise your children (read above for citation), I am going to follow it. I have no reason to change that decision.

And you can raise your children however you please, and you can believe that Dr. Chua is right if you co choose, but that doesn't make it the "right" way for everyone by a long shot. And you don't know for sure whether all people raised that way will succeed at all, its purely speculative in nature. Would that method help them in life? I'm sure in most cases it would, however it isn't perfect- look at the Asian Suicide rates mentioned earlier. And plenty of people still end up very successful in life, dispite not having the "perfect" upbringing (and I use that term lightly) according to this woman. Notice how her style isn't too popular.

About your question regarding those children's future, the way she raised them is actually going to help them, since it is a perfect emulation of the real world. Your boss wants his job done by a deadline, flawed work, or failure to make it at the deadline will not be tolerated. That is the real world. Her children have been brought up in a way that introduced them to the real world. That way, they will be prepared to face it. After all, the perfect structured world is what the writer's view of American children face. Once they become adults and try to find a job, they can't slack off anymore, and forcing them to change their whole attitude towards life at 18 is going to be much, much harder than it would be if they were raised correctly in the first place.

I'm not saying it won't help them, her methods have plenty of pluses, but it isn't without flaws. These kids have very little human interaction outside of their mother, and I'd be willing to bet they aren't going to be very social, nor will they have any friends. Human beings are social creatures, and they need interaction with others of thier species, just like every other social mammal. Her children will be very withdrawn socially, and in today's business world, employers look for people with exceptional social ability and charisma, which these kids will not have. Her kids will be quite talented, I can't deny that, but they wouldn't be considered for top-level executive business positions. They wouldn't have the necessary social skills to rise to management level positions.

Years
  • The Wall Street Journal's Book Review of the Battle Hymn of The Tiger Mother said:
    "In the end it's not the dogs but Louisa who persuades Ms. Chua that she needs to modify her approach. Always the more defiant of the two daughters, Louisa finally cracks, on a family trip, when her mother insists that she try caviar in a restaurant near Moscow's Red Square. Somehow that demand triggers in the 13-year-old girl a true American-style teenage outburst featuring thrown glasses and I-hate-you's ricocheting around the room. After this shocking display of disobedience, Ms. Chua concludes that she needs to relax her hold and grant the girls a modicum of independence. Louisa promptly dials back her violin-practicing to a mere 30 minutes a day and bans her mother from kibitzing."

Adding this here because it proves that her system is by no means flawless or perfect as suggested.

Full review of the book.

Last edited:

Meduza

Majestic Dawn
    Years
    • Seen Jul 8, 2014
    Shiny Meowth. I can see your point of view on what I said but are you saying what the kid themself would like doesn't matter?

Parents who treat their kids like you said are practically living through their child.

And when you said they will only watch Pokemon and play Pokemon games, does that mean they can't play anything else.

To me, that right there isn't a choice for the ebst, it's YOUR personal choice since you yourself like it. I'm not saying it's bad, but they should be to choose their own itnerests.

And how would a child playing any other instrument besides a violin and a piano make them like Justin Bieber or Lady Gaga? And even so, what bad influence does that have on them?

And I hate how you say "I'm not going to allow my child" be in sports, art, school plays, etc. IT'S NOT YOUR CHOICE.

And finally, nobody is perfect, even if you want them to be. Everyone has their flaws, there's no point in trying to force them away.

ShinyMeowth

Gone forever
    Years

• And you can raise your children however you please, and you can believe that Dr. Chua is right if you co choose, but that doesn't make it the "right" way for everyone by a long shot. And you don't know for sure whether all people raised that way will succeed at all, its purely speculative in nature. Would that method help them in life? I'm sure in most cases it would, however it isn't perfect- look at the Asian Suicide rates mentioned earlier. And plenty of people still end up very successful in life, dispite not having the "perfect" upbringing (and I use that term lightly) according to this woman. Notice how her style isn't too popular.

Children raised that way have been empirically proven to be more successful. I never speculate out of the blue, I use probability in my favor. I would have asked you to cite your suicide rate point, but I went ahead and did it myself. While the percentages are twice as big as in the US, I will bring up the fact that there are still only "21.2 suicides per 100 000 people per year" I am not going to worry about a 0.02 chance.
    I'm not saying it won't help them, her methods have plenty of pluses, but it isn't without flaws. These kids have very little human interaction outside of their mother, and I'd be willing to bet they aren't going to be very social, nor will they have any friends. Human beings are social creatures, and they need interaction with others of thier species, just like every other social mammal. Her children will be very withdrawn socially, and in today's business world, employers look for people with exceptional social ability and charisma, which these kids will not have. Her kids will be quite talented, I can't deny that, but they wouldn't be considered for top-level executive business positions. They wouldn't have the necessary social skills to rise to management level positions.
    Post a valid reason why people have to be social. "It is true because it is true" is not valid.
    Shiny Meowth. I can see your point of view on what I said but are you saying what the kid themself would like doesn't matter?
    The whole point is to bring up the kid in a way that it would actually like doing the right thing, instead of feeling forced to. That is the exact reason why I do not want bad influences ruining my child's behavior.
    Parents who treat their kids like you said are practically living through their child.
    Explain that further.
    And when you said they will only watch Pokemon and play Pokemon games, does that mean they can't play anything else.
    That was what I originally meant, but now that I think of it, I am going to allow them to request my approval of other games, and should I provide it, they will be allowed to use them too.
    To me, that right there isn't a choice for the ebst, it's YOUR personal choice since you yourself like it. I'm not saying it's bad, but they should be to choose their own itnerests.
    If I had a dime for each time I've been told "okay this is your opinion", I would be rich by now. People, that is not a valid point, nor does it make any sense. If you disagree with me, provide actual points to support your point of the debate, don't try to erase my statement with excuses like that. Back up your hypothesis!
    And how would a child playing any other instrument besides a violin and a piano make them like Justin Bieber or Lady Gaga? And even so, what bad influence does that have on them?
    You are misquoting me. I did not say "any other instrument", I commented specifically on that matter, saying other classical instruments are acceptable too. However, playing the guitar tends to lead to playing the electric guitar, which is never good. After all, Beethoven didn't write pieces for the guitar, and we are not ones to question Beethoven.
    And I hate how you say "I'm not going to allow my child" be in sports, art, school plays, etc. IT'S NOT YOUR CHOICE.
    Alright, let me break this up and explain each of those parts: Sports do not add to one's intelligence, nor do they assist one on any level other than showing off. My children are only going to exercise to keep themselves in shape, and that will be done with private tutors. Sport clubs are humongous sources of bad influence. Art, is an incredible thing. However, school-related art is not. It is pure loafing and playing time. It is ridiculous. School plays are not going to be an option at all anyway, since my children will be homeschooled. I could never trust my children to tutors I have not approved myself, and I would never let my child be bullied, damaged, or badly-influenced in any way by its classmates. And according to the law itself, it is, in fact, my choice.
    And finally, nobody is perfect, even if you want them to be. Everyone has their flaws, there's no point in trying to force them away.
    That is a complete misconception. There is no actual reason why nobody can be perfect, a perfect education and lifestyle does, in fact, make a person perfect. Flaws must be forced away, not only for mine, my children's, or their acquaintances' sake, but also for the sake of the humanity. Perfection is one thing to aim for. There is nothing wrong about aiming for the top, and there is everything wrong with not doing so. I rest my case.

Years
  • Children raised that way have been empirically proven to be more successful. I never speculate out of the blue, I use probability in my favor. I would have asked you to cite your suicide rate point, but I went ahead and did it myself. While the percentages are twice as big as in the US, I will bring up the fact that there are still only "21.2 suicides per 100 000 people per year" I am not going to worry about a 0.02 chance.

Post a valid reason why people have to be social. "It is true because it is true" is not valid.

a Suicide rate twice that of the Unites States? I hardly find that a dismissable fact. 21.2 suicides per 100,000 adds up when the population of the country in question numbers in the Billions.

People have to be social because people are social creatures, and because it's a normal behavior, a notion which seems to be lost on Dr. Chua. Being a social recluse and a effectual robot isn't a good thing.

Rich Boy Rob

"Fezzes are cool." The Doctor
    Years
    • Seen Mar 15, 2016
    Because everything that humans do is based on being social. Adulthood generally comprises of work and family yes? Well how could one find a partner or form working relationships with no knowledge of social activities or protocol?

The whole point is to bring up the kid in a way that it would actually like doing the right thing, instead of feeling forced to. That is the exact reason why I do not want bad influences ruining my child's behavior.
    But why is your idea of "the right thing" better than theirs or mine? Assuming you base success on money earned through a job (which in itself is debatable as success is objective), then why is training your children to be nuclear physicists better than an international footballer or business man/woman?

You are misquoting me. I did not say "any other instrument", I commented specifically on that matter, saying other classical instruments are acceptable too. However, playing the guitar tends to lead to playing the electric guitar, which is never good. After all, Beethoven didn't write pieces for the guitar, and we are not ones to question Beethoven.
    I can very easily question Beethoven. His music may be classic, but that isn't to say 500 years from now Lady GaGa won't. In fact that's more likely than people who are behind the times as it were in popular culture.

Alright, let me break this up and explain each of those parts: Sports do not add to one's intelligence, nor do they assist one on any level other than showing off. My children are only going to exercise to keep themselves in shape, and that will be done with private tutors. Sport clubs are humongous sources of bad influence. Art, is an incredible thing. However, school-related art is not. It is pure loafing and playing time. It is ridiculous. School plays are not going to be an option at all anyway, since my children will be homeschooled. I could never trust my children to tutors I have not approved myself, and I would never let my child be bullied, damaged, or badly-influenced in any way by its classmates. And according to the law itself, it is, in fact, my choice.

Sport being showing off? I agree, but so is everything else. Besides, the sport players are some of the most successful people in the world.
    Art? You said it yourself, although I completely disagree about school art. While primary school art may be about playing with paint and glitter, you clearly have never taken an Art GCSE, let alone A Level. Art is one of the hardest subjects around.
    While I'm here; acting. Are you really going to argue that Hollywood actors have been unsuccessful in life? Really?

Kishijoten

CEO of trouble making~
    Years
  • Raising kids by limiting their way of life seems more like discipline. Limiting what they want to do but to study most of the time just so they get A's, A's, A's proves what? A child's goal? or the parent's?

Also to add to that, pressuring kids to excel at everything isn't the goal in life. Everyone has a purpose in life and if parent's are strict like this how will the kid ever achieve what they want to achieve other than the parent's goal?

I'm chinese myself and my parent's aren't strict like this. They aren't obsessed or a better word: pressure, me to recieve PERFECT grades. It depends on the child's parent's personality sometimes. If their nice they may be a little nicer with the child's grade rather than going crazy over a B. Which I think B says B-better than a F. So, really if the child gets good grades but not A's 100% of the time should they fuss over this?

I also think this quote fits with the topic

"Normal? What's normal? To only do what the masses do? And what is the benefit of that? Where is the problem in adopting a custom that is 'abnormal' if it has no negative effect on the world at large?" -Yuko Ichihara

Last edited:

Waffle-San

Blue-Steel
    Years
  • I really hope this accomplishes something besides getting me a wall of text emblem (hint hint. :P) =/

I live in Greece, and my parents fit to the article's description of American parents. I love my parents, but I hate the fact that they made that choice. Pushing your kid to its limits and further is the best way to raise it, since it guarantees higher chances of success in its life later on. Since my parents haven't been doing that for me, I've had to do it myself. I've had to force myself to work as much as I could, and I've pushed myself to my limits countless times. Still, I haven't managed to make the most out of myself. I started playing the piano this year, and I'm already working on Beethoven's Moonlight Sonata. Believe it or not, my mother actually dislikes that, since it counters her ways of slacking off and not focusing on my goals. Had I listened to her, my friends who have had experience playing the piano, or even my music teacher, I couldn't have brought my skills out, and I would probably have gotten bored of it and given up. As the article mentioned, achieving success and receiving praise is incredibly rewarding, and much fun. Another example is my studying of calculus last summer, at 13, which of course the Mathematician at my school frowned upon. But now I know more than my teachers, and find myself correcting them at the class all the time. I like that. For one, I am definitely not going to repeat my parents' mistake. I will raise my children by Chinese standards, and make them even better than myself. After all, what's more rewarding than seeing your children surpassing your achievements?

First of all I'm going to suggest you stop calling children, your potential kids included, "its".

Your story is one of self motivation and yet you seem to have overlooked just how powerful a tool it is. In a more "asian" definition of the word you are becoming quite the successful human being, yet to raise your kids to be even more successful than you are, you intend to implement the parenting style directly opposite to the one that initiated your very own success? Interesting logic there. Let me explain how my last two sentences relate. I'll use an example from recent pop-culture since it will help me when I defend the arts later on. In the summer blockbuster Inception, Leonardo Di Caprio's team goes through all the work of staging Robert Fischer's (the young CEO) dreams all so they can implant a simple idea into his head. But why? There's no denying it would have been simpler to just start a lengthy conversation with Fischer and tell him their idea.

You yourself are a great answer to this question. Why did you take up Piano? And push yourself to learn Beethoven's Moonlight Sonata? Or teach yourself calculus? In the simplest of terms, you did it cause you wanted to. These are all things that play a very large part in your values and make you feel good about yourself. But don't you also feel good because you accomplished these things for you? This is an oppertunity your kids are going to need to have as well.

I, myself, live in urban Western Canada where the asian demographic is quite high. My ex-girlfriend was also of Chinese decent, so needless to say, I've been thoroughly introduced to the Chinese culture and parenting style. I can also tell you that its not the perfect parenting technique that you make it out to be. Yes their children do perform extremely well academically but outside of school they stuggle. By over limiting their child's voice and making decisions for them, Chinese parents are destroying their children's independence and hurting their learning abilities. School is not meant to teach us everything we are going to need to know in life. Its purpose is to teach us nessecary information that gives us the oppertunity to live a life full of learning and mental stimulation. Each one of our classes is taught to us with the hopes that later on in life we can build on what we've learned and eventually use it to our advantage, but no single excellence in a lone subject will lead to fortune. One of the most important skills for kids to develop is Critical Thinking.

Critical Thinking is the ability to evaluate evidence and opinions and then develop your own personal arguments from (often conflicting) sources. It's also a form of self humility. You said yourself, ShinyMeowth, that you use "rational reasons for [your] choices, not emotional." In other words, you use a process of critical thinking to develop your opinions. Unfortunately you lack this self humility and have a very narrow view point on things. You have acknowledged the positives of Chinese parenting (when successful): Discipline, academic success, lare quantities of oppertunities in the business world. Except you've quite conveniently overlooked many of its fallbacks: Psychological stress, stinting of mental growth, inabilitiy to adapt, inferior problem solving skills, low Critical thinking skills, frustrations that arise with low social skills, and a lack of aptitude in dealing with emotional stress and loss or quite frankly their emotions in general. All those things, ShinyMeowth, are going to play a role in their future "success". Frankly a resume will get you an interview but it won't get you a job.

I'll also point out how infrequently the Chinese parenting style works when mixed with other cultures. Kids want what they see, its the very reasont that so many advertisments are aimed at children. If your child has sugarless Kool Aid at his house but gets a much sweeter version at a friends house then they're automatically going to want the sweeter version from here on then. So what's that you say? Thats why playdates and sleep overs must be banned? Not so simple, for true success you're going to need to home school your kids. And that doesn't just include academics, you can't afford to have a music teacher "corrupt" their opinions, nope that'll have to be covered by you too. Forget having a television or radio, even with strict filters, the news that each channel covers might not always apply to your values, especially during times of political races and internation conflict (that's always by the way). You can forget letting them outside the house too, don't want to risk them seeing surfers on the water, children playing in the sand or any sort of propoganda the world could release onto them. What if they wander into a grocery store and are surrounded by so many of these forbidden marvels? Nope they better stay indoors with the windows drawn all day playing filterized versions of scrabble and learning 8 digit arithmatic on an abacus. Congratulations your child is now an easily manipulated mindless drone. Is that what you want?

That depends. Do you want a mindless drone? If yes then it definately could. But for a normal child, one sleep over will not be as devastating as its made out to be. Now I don't completely disagree. As a parent you should have control over who your child sleeps over with and how often to ensure they don't become tangled up in a group of heroine addicts. But thats when independence and trust comes into the mix. If you've raised your kid to have strong morals and to be very self motivated a sleep over will be nothing but a harmless night of relaxing and letting loose.

Aah but thats right, that's not how the real world works right? Slacking off is an addictive habit that must be avoided at all costs or it shall hamper every childs future succes... Actually relaxation and letting off stress is key to all sorts of success in life. A happier, more comfortable person is a more eficient and productive worker. A life with no breaks will only lead to exhaustion and heart failure; thats not an opinion, its a cold hard fact.

So the only game they can play is that of one where animals are pitted against eachother in near death matches so a human being may have achieved an accomplishment in a SPORT!? I thought you were against sports? Don't get me wrong I love Pokemon too but it goes against everything you're trying to instill in your children. The anime itself is full of morals that relate to having fun, supporting others, and putting your family first. And I mean really putting your family first. That means working a reasonable amount of hours and putting in the time necessary to be an active player in your childs life. (player not dictator). Thats a pretty rash and emotional decision you've made there.

Oh man, time consuming? School plays probably support more of your ideologies then you give them credit for. First off, the time and effort that is needed to put on a good school play is a huge character builder. And the efforts they put in will help them deal with people, learn about themself and improve their memorisation. I'm going to assume you've never taken a real drama class in your life. There's a difference between Junior High and High school drama courses. To become an actor (a real actor, so don't use Miley Cyrus as a counter argument) is an incredible amount of work. Memorisation is the only the beginning.

First you must verb your script. Verbing is essentially taking every statement your character says and giving each one a different verb that you will then epitomize on stage. Then you must properly create your character, that means back story, crucial moments in their life, things that motivate them, dreams, feeling etc. You need to become them to the point where you feel pain when they feel pain. A good actor knows who there characters family members are, every grade they recieved in High School, every girl or boy they've ever had a crush on and any unacomplished dreams they have. A lot of work? Absolutely? Worth while work? Definately.

The problem you'll have in life is that you view yourself as a single identity and thus fail to comprehend others. I'm willing to bet you're reading many of these responses and thinking to yourself that you are both smarter and more reasonalbe then we all are. I hope you aren't but I'm doubtful. Things like a school play help these things a lot. When you're thrust together to take on the massive project that a school play is you start to become a family. You learn so much about those people and it makes you want to push yourself. You push yourself for them but it's the motivation you develop yourself from them that gives you that work ethic. There's that whole self motivation thing again, it's a shame you intend to destroy it in your child's life.

I spent about an hour last night trying to find a valid source that could tell me if in Greek High Schools it is required to study Shakespeare. If it is and your don't know why, I will gladly explain it to you. Theres quite a bit Shakespeare could teach you ShinyMeowth.

That is totally wrong. You have to open your eyes and look at the real world. Perfection is perfection, anything less than that is imperfect, and imperfection is simply not enough. It would be a waste to let your kids do anything less than the best they can, and I am not going to follow that path

Imperfection isn't enough? Says who? Your prospect employer? Well there you don't have to be perfect, you just need to be the best candidate for the job. But having a 100% doesn't mean that you are if you don't have the critical thinking skills to applied what you've learned into big time executive decisions. And if you can't deal with other people, whether they be colleagues or other business representatives, then you're not right for the job either.

We need to define some things here. If you haven't noticed most of my job examples deal with executive and business positions. I do this because your definition of "successful" seems to be that of someone who is rich and has accomplishment coming out of their toe nails. But why isn't providing for your family a measure of success? If I am one day able to become an English Teacher then I will have accomplished a dream of mine, I call that success. Now in being a english teacher I won't make a huge amount of money, but I'll get to do something I care about which makes me happy. And it'll also give me enough money to buy a home and give my children the nessecities they need, like food and water. But best of all, I'm only working when my kids are at school, which means during vacations and on weekends, I have time to connect with my children, and develop a real relationship with them. That right there will help give them the emotional stability they need. I reccommend you start to think of children as their own people. As a parent your definition of success should be that your children are happy, but its up to them to decide what makes them happy. And I know that getting a B on their report card and being terrified of the beating they're going to reciece when they get home is not happiness for everyone.

Bahahaha. This just makes me laugh. I would think you were above judging people on their taste in music. It's time to step outside of your bubble for a bit kid. I'd be surprised if Beethoven wrote for the electric guitar seeing as it didn't exist back then. At that time classical music was today's Lady Gaga in the sense that it was popular. Beethoven wasn't writing for the Zither either probably because it wasn't popular in his Europe.

Anyways, the piano is used in many of todays modern pop music as well, how can you risk that? The guitar is used in some truly beautiful music as well. Your actions are simply opressive. Music is prescious because of how it touches people, and if "Somebody To Love" resonates with someone then it's a fine piece of music. And have faith in your children, how many 11 year old girls are going to be listening to Hannah Montana when they're 40? Yeah, not many.

Don't be so arrogant, your kid is not You 2.0 If you think your parenting will be without any turmoil then you're in for quite a surprise. I hope you can adapt to different situations or your kid is gone. He or she won't respect you pretty quickly if they don't believe you care about them. And to a kid, 2 hours of musical theory doesn't say, "I love you." If you can't come to terms with them, what are you going to do? Kick them out of the house? I hope not, that never ends well for anyone.

I'm going to say it again, your children are human beings and they must grow. The only reason you can sit here and debate this is because your parents raised you the way they did. They let you make mistakes so you could learn, I suggest you do the same. Give up this alternate reality of perfection you have, perfection is a matter of perspective and just because your definition is different then others doesn't make yours right. And thats true cause its not something you can argue, or at least is very hard to. If I think a content hobo on the street is perfect for that is how he percieves himself then you can't argue that unless you abide by the same definition.

Oh and lastly, your mom didn't want you to not succeed at the piano, she wanted you to enjoy your child hood. Learn the lessons about being a child so you can relate to one of your own some day. Its sad cause you've taught yourself so much but you can't seem to realise the perfection in imperfection.

At the moment you're the worst influence on your childs behavior. The way you plan to raise your kid would make them feel forced to. Your child must be able to decide for themselves what is right and wrong; you can play a role in guiding them to that decision but all you are doing is forcing them to see exactly what you see. By pushing your point of view on them so harshly you're going to push them against you. They're going to want to do the opposite, it's simple human psychology. At some point a child must feel independent and if you don't give them that oppertunity they will go against your word to give themselves that indepency. Thats how kids get into alcohol and other drugs; their real family makes them feel like an outsider and control there independence so they rebel out and find a crowd who will at least accept them.

If you don't listen to anything else in this response listen to this, cause I'm talking from experience: If you expect to much from the ones you love you might just lose them forever.

Last edited:

otakulily

Pokemon is okay, I guess.
    Years
    • Seen Jul 25, 2014
    Haha, this is both hilariously stereotypical and srsbsns at the same time. Best read I've had in a while.

In general, I actually don't disagree with most of the crazy lady's actions. Chinese parents are just (a lot) more active in their parenting. Being passive just doesn't work. In general, kids care more about today than tomorrow. If they're not given a push in the right direction, kids would rarely choose work over play. Although such anti-fun rules might seem cruel, life won't be much fun once the kid is working 8 hour shifts and such. Fun just isn't productive. If you're going to be stuck working for a good portion of your life, you might as well get a head start and aim for the best career you can get. And although many would argue that one should get a job that he/she likes, the odds of that happening are lol.

One of the biggest gripes I have with Western parents (or Westerns in general) that was mentioned in the article is that they're a bunch of pansies when it comes to "feelings". So Asians are stereotypically branded as the quiet ones when Westerners are always reluctant to say what's on their minds? Really, if you have something to say, say it. If you think your daughter is fat, then you shouldn't lie to her. You don't have to beat around the bush, just tell her to stop stuffing her face and if she cries tell her to suck it up or something.

@everyone who made some analogy to machines or robots or something like that

That is a ridiculous comparison. It's not like the child is being brainwashed or anything. There is a difference between passing ideals and ambitions from parent to child and "manipulation". It is for the benefit of the child, not the parent.

And in the end, surplus money or violin skills will not save them from dying, and they will die having lived a very one-sided life.
    Oh, so you're saying that having fun saves lives? Fun doesn't necessarily lead to a meaningful life. If some guy spent his entire life having fun instead of doing anything productive and suddenly finds out he has one week to live, he'll quickly realize that he's done absolutely nothing with his life. That argument could easily go both ways.

Having a child learn playing piano and violin during all the time it doesn't need for school, just in case it is talented so it might become a successful classical musician later on? Yeah, totally necessary.
    Necessary? There is absolutely nothing wrong with having multiple talents. It's called being multifaceted.

I can see the "Asian parenting style" have more success in actual Asian cultures but when their children are growing up surrounded by North American culture it becomes very easy for this to back fire, as people have attested to above.

The main problem with asian parenting that I find, is that it destroys social skills. No thats not true, it hampers their childrens social development. Their children often fall behind in communication skills and thought processing skills (English class if you wish from a school perspective). The other problem is that parenting, in a way, must always be adapted to the child; asian parents tend to be very rigid, so if their child stays within their tight boundries all is good, but if they start to rebel out they easily lose their child altogether as they do not have the ability to adapt their parenting.
    Surely you realize that any parenting style can backfire. Children of Chinese parents aren't necessarily more prone to rebellion than any other child. I don't have any statistics or anything (though I searched for them) but I'm sure that there isn't an outstanding percentage of Chinese runaway children or anything. And suicide rates aren't necessarily a good way to determine these things either.

Besides, a srs Asian parent doesn't allow for rebellion. The lady in the article was like, IF YOU DONT PLAY THIS SONG YOURE NOT EATING YOU EITHER PLAY OR YOU DIE.

I also find it very wrong that she said she thinks that her children are permanently indebted to her for her being their mother. That's almost like saying guests in my house should do everything for me because I let them in.
    Actually, this is one of the things I also disagreed with in the article. I don't owe my parents ****. Really.

What do you mean by this? Are you wondering how they would do afterwards or are you implying a hypothetical situation in which their mother didn't exist or didn't play the role that she does now?

If the former is the case, then it wouldn't matter. By now, the mother's ideals are likely ingrained into the children's heads. It's no different from "proper upbringing". After you have been taught proper manners, it becomes instinctual to eat with your mouth closed or knock before entering. That's the whole point of this parenting style. An example has even been shown in the the article. The daughter was happy that she was finally able to play that song. The children will probably now feel the need to be successful at everything they do (although I'm not saying that's necessarily a good thing).

And if the latter is the case, well, it still doesn't matter. The children would have likely ended up as normal children and it would be even easier to prove whether or not parenting has an effect on the success of a person.

Not even going to bother reading the above post.

Also, the one thing that really made me rawrarghasdgasdgaerv in that article is that she, like, totally takes credit for her daughter's success. Like wat.

Years
  • Oh, so you're saying that having fun saves lives? Fun doesn't necessarily lead to a meaningful life. If some guy spent his entire life having fun instead of doing anything productive and suddenly finds out he has one week to live, he'll quickly realize that he's done absolutely nothing with his life. That argument could easily go both ways.
    Not quite. What I was meaning (well, actually I'm not quite sure what I was meaning because it was late when I wrote that, and as a result the text is quite a mess) is that because you will die anyways, why not make your life as comfortable as possible? Or, in short: Carpe Diem.
    By that I am neither meaning doing nothing but slacking nor that it will make a person guaranteedly happy. But I am pretty sure it is more likely to do that than a life consisting of nothing but exertion.
    Necessary? There is absolutely nothing wrong with having multiple talents. It's called being multifaceted.
    Completely missing the point. What does having multiple talents have to do with forcing children to spend all of their time that remains after the ridiculous amount of time they're spending on school work, even at young ages where getting good grades doesn't require anything (at least that's my personal experience, at least when excluding crap subjects like sports, arts and music that have nothing to do with learning anyways (well, admittedly the latter two do later, but A LOT later)) to learn these two instruments?

Oh, and as for the "the machine/robot comparison is ridiculous" argument...
    Well, it isn't. A child that is 'successfully' brought up that way, knows nothing but work. And, if everything goes according to the plan (because, if they are not letting an 8-year-old do what it wants, why should they let an 18-year-old do what it wants?), never will. So what exactly makes their purpose different from a robot's?

I'm not even going to try to respond to anything else than the upper third of the last post, this thread is just too cluttered. Also, because there is quite some unreasonableness (or trolling?) to be seen inside this thread, so it would be pointless. But, one more thing:
    Imagine a world in which every parent raises there children like this. Where would it lead to?

ShinyMeowth

Gone forever
    Years

• a Suicide rate twice that of the Unites States? I hardly find that a dismissable fact. 21.2 suicides per 100,000 adds up when the population of the country in question numbers in the Billions.

First of all, it being twice that of the US does not matter. Nor does the fact that the country has billions of people. Because no matter how large the actual number is, or how it compares to other countries, it still is a mere 0.02%
    People have to be social because people are social creatures, and because it's a normal behavior, a notion which seems to be lost on Dr. Chua. Being a social recluse and a effectual robot isn't a good thing.
    That is equivalent to "It is true because it is true". Thus, I do not acknowledge that in any way.
    Because everything that humans do is based on being social. Adulthood generally comprises of work and family yes? Well how could one find a partner or form working relationships with no knowledge of social activities or protocol?

That is incorrect: Reading is not based on being social. Studying is not either. Nor is playing video games. Or reproducing. Or sleeping. Or breathing. Or eating. Hermits and Monks are not social.
    But why is your idea of "the right thing" better than theirs or mine? Assuming you base success on money earned through a job (which in itself is debatable as success is objective), then why is training your children to be nuclear physicists better than an international footballer or business man/woman?

Because physicists actually contribute to the society, unlike footballers or businessmen. I want my children to be useful.
    I can very easily question Beethoven. His music may be classic, but that isn't to say 500 years from now Lady GaGa won't. In fact that's more likely than people who are behind the times as it were in popular culture.

This is simply ridiculous. Lady Gaga is incredibly temporary, and that is true because she was made in a society that is terribly corrupted, and she represents this society perfectly. It is not the popularity that makes Lady Gaga terrible, it is the content and quality of her songs.
    Sport being showing off? I agree, but so is everything else. Besides, the sport players are some of the most successful people in the world.
    Art? You said it yourself, although I completely disagree about school art. While primary school art may be about playing with paint and glitter, you clearly have never taken an Art GCSE, let alone A Level. Art is one of the hardest subjects around.

No, I have never taken an Art GCSE. I am going to refer you to what I said earlier, there is nothing wrong with actual art, it is the school "art" that frustrates me.
    While I'm here; acting. Are you really going to argue that Hollywood actors have been unsuccessful in life? Really?
    No, I won't. However, I will refer you to my earlier point about footballers.
    Raising kids by limiting their way of life seems more like discipline. Limiting what they want to do but to study most of the time just so they get A's, A's, A's proves what? A child's goal? or the parent's?

It ensures a better life for that child in the future. My goal is not to have my kid get straight A's, my goal is for me to make the best out of myself, achieve perfection in every sector I am interested in, and then have my children surpass me.
    Also to add to that, pressuring kids to excel at everything isn't the goal in life. Everyone has a purpose in life and if parent's are strict like this how will the kid ever achieve what they want to achieve other than the parent's goal?

Quit the "parent's goal" thing. Believe me, it will be the kid's goal too, since I will make sure my wife will be like me in beliefs, skills, and education, thus creating the right gene combination for a child with the same goals and ideals.
    I'm chinese myself and my parent's aren't strict like this. They aren't obsessed or a better word: pressure, me to recieve PERFECT grades. It depends on the child's parent's personality sometimes. If their nice they may be a little nicer with the child's grade rather than going crazy over a B. Which I think B says B-better than a F. So, really if the child gets good grades but not A's 100% of the time should they fuss over this?

Because they can do better, and giving them the right motivation will cause that to happen..
    I also think this quote fits with the topic

"Normal? What's normal? To only do what the masses do? And what is the benefit of that? Where is the problem in adopting a custom that is 'abnormal' if it has no negative effect on the world at large?" -Yuko Ichihara
    Uhh, I will just ignore that, I don't see how it fits here.
    I really hope this accomplishes something besides getting me a wall of text emblem (hint hint. :P) =/

First of all I'm going to suggest you stop calling children, your potential kids included, "its".

I need a genderless pronoun, and I tend to forget to use "their". In no way am I thinking of them as objects.
    Your story is one of self motivation and yet you seem to have overlooked just how powerful a tool it is. In a more "asian" definition of the word you are becoming quite the successful human being, yet to raise your kids to be even more successful than you are, you intend to implement the parenting style directly opposite to the one that initiated your very own success? Interesting logic there. Let me explain how my last two sentences relate. I'll use an example from recent pop-culture since it will help me when I defend the arts later on. In the summer blockbuster Inception, Leonardo Di Caprio's team goes through all the work of staging Robert Fischer's (the young CEO) dreams all so they can implant a simple idea into his head. But why? There's no denying it would have been simpler to just start a lengthy conversation with Fischer and tell him their idea.

That was explained perfectly in the movie. If you just tell somebody something, they think about it, but they can see it is an outsider idea. It could work in other occasions, but destroying your father's empire is not a thing you would normally do just because somebody told you of that opportunity.
    You yourself are a great answer to this question. Why did you take up Piano? And push yourself to learn Beethoven's Moonlight Sonata? Or teach yourself calculus? In the simplest of terms, you did it cause you wanted to. These are all things that play a very large part in your values and make you feel good about yourself. But don't you also feel good because you accomplished these things for you? This is an oppertunity your kids are going to need to have as well.

I've made countless mistakes in my life, and they have slowed me down. I could be much better than I am now, and I would enjoy it. Providing that to my kids from the very start will be a great thing for them.
    I, myself, live in urban Western Canada where the asian demographic is quite high. My ex-girlfriend was also of Chinese decent, so needless to say, I've been thoroughly introduced to the Chinese culture and parenting style. I can also tell you that its not the perfect parenting technique that you make it out to be. Yes their children do perform extremely well academically but outside of school they stuggle. By over limiting their child's voice and making decisions for them, Chinese parents are destroying their children's independence and hurting their learning abilities. School is not meant to teach us everything we are going to need to know in life. Its purpose is to teach us nessecary information that gives us the oppertunity to live a life full of learning and mental stimulation. Each one of our classes is taught to us with the hopes that later on in life we can build on what we've learned and eventually use it to our advantage, but no single excellence in a lone subject will lead to fortune. One of the most important skills for kids to develop is Critical Thinking.
    Critical Thinking is the ability to evaluate evidence and opinions and then develop your own personal arguments from (often conflicting) sources. It's also a form of self humility. You said yourself, ShinyMeowth, that you use "rational reasons for [your] choices, not emotional." In other words, you use a process of critical thinking to develop your opinions. Unfortunately you lack this self humility and have a very narrow view point on things. You have acknowledged the positives of Chinese parenting (when successful): Discipline, academic success, lare quantities of oppertunities in the business world. Except you've quite conveniently overlooked many of its fallbacks: Psychological stress, stinting of mental growth, inabilitiy to adapt, inferior problem solving skills, low Critical thinking skills, frustrations that arise with low social skills, and a lack of aptitude in dealing with emotional stress and loss or quite frankly their emotions in general. All those things, ShinyMeowth, are going to play a role in their future "success". Frankly a resume will get you an interview but it won't get you a job.

Inability to adapt and inferior problem solving skills are actually not related to this at all. In fact, the logical conclusion is that this case occurs much more when parents do everything for their children, spoil them and have everything perfect for them. Having my kids do things themselves, is definitely going to help those skills develop, instead of sabotage them.
    I'll also point out how infrequently the Chinese parenting style works when mixed with other cultures. Kids want what they see, its the very reasont that so many advertisments are aimed at children. If your child has sugarless Kool Aid at his house but gets a much sweeter version at a friends house then they're automatically going to want the sweeter version from here on then. So what's that you say? Thats why playdates and sleep overs must be banned? Not so simple, for true success you're going to need to home school your kids. And that doesn't just include academics, you can't afford to have a music teacher "corrupt" their opinions, nope that'll have to be covered by you too. Forget having a television or radio, even with strict filters, the news that each channel covers might not always apply to your values, especially during times of political races and internation conflict (that's always by the way). You can forget letting them outside the house too, don't want to risk them seeing surfers on the water, children playing in the sand or any sort of propoganda the world could release onto them. What if they wander into a grocery store and are surrounded by so many of these forbidden marvels? Nope they better stay indoors with the windows drawn all day playing filterized versions of scrabble and learning 8 digit arithmatic on an abacus. Congratulations your child is now an easily manipulated mindless drone. Is that what you want?

This was not written seriously so I do not acknowledge it.
    That depends. Do you want a mindless drone? If yes then it definately could. But for a normal child, one sleep over will not be as devastating as its made out to be. Now I don't completely disagree. As a parent you should have control over who your child sleeps over with and how often to ensure they don't become tangled up in a group of heroine addicts. But thats when independence and trust comes into the mix. If you've raised your kid to have strong morals and to be very self motivated a sleep over will be nothing but a harmless night of relaxing and letting loose.

I would have absolutely no problem with my kids sleeping over with other kids that were raised like mine, with the same manners, restrictions and rules. I did not post that earlier because I was mostly referring to bad influence.
    Aah but thats right, that's not how the real world works right? Slacking off is an addictive habit that must be avoided at all costs or it shall hamper every childs future succes... Actually relaxation and letting off stress is key to all sorts of success in life. A happier, more comfortable person is a more eficient and productive worker. A life with no breaks will only lead to exhaustion and heart failure; thats not an opinion, its a cold hard fact.

I never said anything about "no breaks", you made that up. So I do not acknowledge that either.
    So the only game they can play is that of one where animals are pitted against eachother in near death matches so a human being may have achieved an accomplishment in a SPORT!? I thought you were against sports? Don't get me wrong I love Pokemon too but it goes against everything you're trying to instill in your children. The anime itself is full of morals that relate to having fun, supporting others, and putting your family first. And I mean really putting your family first. That means working a reasonable amount of hours and putting in the time necessary to be an active player in your childs life. (player not dictator). Thats a pretty rash and emotional decision you've made there.

Pokemon is way too awesome to be withheld by any rule or restriction. Thus, Pokemon can actually skip all of my rules.
    Oh man, time consuming? School plays probably support more of your ideologies then you give them credit for. First off, the time and effort that is needed to put on a good school play is a huge character builder. And the efforts they put in will help them deal with people, learn about themself and improve their memorisation. I'm going to assume you've never taken a real drama class in your life. There's a difference between Junior High and High school drama courses. To become an actor (a real actor, so don't use Miley Cyrus as a counter argument) is an incredible amount of work. Memorisation is the only the beginning.

Actors do not contribute to the society. In addition to that, I do not know about Canada, but in Greece the school plays are ridiculous. I will not have my kids subjected to that.
    The problem you'll have in life is that you view yourself as a single identity and thus fail to comprehend others. I'm willing to bet you're reading many of these responses and thinking to yourself that you are both smarter and more reasonalbe then we all are. I hope you aren't but I'm doubtful. Things like a school play help these things a lot. When you're thrust together to take on the massive project that a school play is you start to become a family. You learn so much about those people and it makes you want to push yourself. You push yourself for them but it's the motivation you develop yourself from them that gives you that work ethic. There's that whole self motivation thing again, it's a shame you intend to destroy it in your child's life.

I do not fail to comprehend others, I hear what they say, judge it, and reply accordingly. You would be surprised to find out that I do not view you disrespectfully, I love having debates and I am glad the community here is mature enough to provide them. About bonding with your children, now, I agree that is very important. However, there is absolutely no reason to do that working on a school play, when you could be working on something meaningful, like a piece on the Piano.
    I spent about an hour last night trying to find a valid source that could tell me if in Greek High Schools it is required to study Shakespeare. If it is and your don't know why, I will gladly explain it to you. Theres quite a bit Shakespeare could teach you ShinyMeowth.

We haven't studied Shakespeare yet, and I do not know if we are going to. I am not going to disagree with you with that one, I respect Shakespeare and believe it would be great to study his works at our school. But before you relate that to school plays, I will remind you that they are ridiculous here, and instead of Shakespeare, their plots are of the "Flying Monkey discovers that books are fun to read" kind.
    Imperfection isn't enough? Says who? Your prospect employer? Well there you don't have to be perfect, you just need to be the best candidate for the job. But having a 100% doesn't mean that you are if you don't have the critical thinking skills to applied what you've learned into big time executive decisions. And if you can't deal with other people, whether they be colleagues or other business representatives, then you're not right for the job either.

Imperfection not being enough is not restricted to work, it is about comprehension of situations, abilities unrelated to your work and even hobbies. When I do something, I want to do it right. Not for my boss, not for my mother, but for myself.
    We need to define some things here. If you haven't noticed most of my job examples deal with executive and business positions. I do this because your definition of "successful" seems to be that of someone who is rich and has accomplishment coming out of their toe nails. But why isn't providing for your family a measure of success? If I am one day able to become an English Teacher then I will have accomplished a dream of mine, I call that success. Now in being a english teacher I won't make a huge amount of money, but I'll get to do something I care about which makes me happy. And it'll also give me enough money to buy a home and give my children the nessecities they need, like food and water. But best of all, I'm only working when my kids are at school, which means during vacations and on weekends, I have time to connect with my children, and develop a real relationship with them. That right there will help give them the emotional stability they need. I reccommend you start to think of children as their own people. As a parent your definition of success should be that your children are happy, but its up to them to decide what makes them happy. And I know that getting a B on their report card and being terrified of the beating they're going to reciece when they get home is not happiness for everyone.

I never defined success as "financial success", my view of success is perfection at what one does. Believe me if you want, but my own dream is to become a university professor in the field of Mathematics, not Bill Gates II. My dream about my children is to become perfect at what they do, which is going to be related to Computers, Music or Mathematics anyway, due to heredity.
    Bahahaha. This just makes me laugh. I would think you were above judging people on their taste in music. It's time to step outside of your bubble for a bit kid. I'd be surprised if Beethoven wrote for the electric guitar seeing as it didn't exist back then. At that time classical music was today's Lady Gaga in the sense that it was popular. Beethoven wasn't writing for the Zither either probably because it wasn't popular in his Europe.

I will not acknowledge that either.
    Anyways, the piano is used in many of todays modern pop music as well, how can you risk that? The guitar is used in some truly beautiful music as well. Your actions are simply opressive. Music is prescious because of how it touches people, and if "Somebody To Love" resonates with someone then it's a fine piece of music. And have faith in your children, how many 11 year old girls are going to be listening to Hannah Montana when they're 40? Yeah, not many.

I don't see what point you are trying to make here, so I am going to skip this.
    Don't be so arrogant, your kid is not You 2.0 If you think your parenting will be without any turmoil then you're in for quite a surprise. I hope you can adapt to different situations or your kid is gone. He or she won't respect you pretty quickly if they don't believe you care about them. And to a kid, 2 hours of musical theory doesn't say, "I love you." If you can't come to terms with them, what are you going to do? Kick them out of the house? I hope not, that never ends well for anyone.

When in the world did I mention violence or kicking them out of the house? My kids will realize how much I care about them, since they will understand that everything I do is for their own good. Plus, they will actually enjoy the playtime they get (Pokemon), since that is in no way an obvious feature.
    I'm going to say it again, your children are human beings and they must grow. The only reason you can sit here and debate this is because your parents raised you the way they did. They let you make mistakes so you could learn, I suggest you do the same. Give up this alternate reality of perfection you have, perfection is a matter of perspective and just because your definition is different then others doesn't make yours right. And thats true cause its not something you can argue, or at least is very hard to. If I think a content hobo on the street is perfect for that is how he percieves himself then you can't argue that unless you abide by the same definition.

I do not like making mistakes, and that could have been avoided if my parents have brought me up the way I will raise my children. I do not want to learn from my mistakes, I want to not make them, by already knowing it is a mistake.
    Oh and lastly, your mom didn't want you to not succeed at the piano, she wanted you to enjoy your child hood. Learn the lessons about being a child so you can relate to one of your own some day. Its sad cause you've taught yourself so much but you can't seem to realise the perfection in imperfection.

"perfection in imperfection"? How could it be better not to excel at something than to do?
    At the moment you're the worst influence on your childs behavior. The way you plan to raise your kid would make them feel forced to. Your child must be able to decide for themselves what is right and wrong; you can play a role in guiding them to that decision but all you are doing is forcing them to see exactly what you see. By pushing your point of view on them so harshly you're going to push them against you. They're going to want to do the opposite, it's simple human psychology. At some point a child must feel independent and if you don't give them that oppertunity they will go against your word to give themselves that indepency. Thats how kids get into alcohol and other drugs; their real family makes them feel like an outsider and control there independence so they rebel out and find a crowd who will at least accept them.

There is not going to be a rebellion, since there are not going to be influences that would lead them to one. By the time they are introduced to how imperfect and stupid people can be, I will have taught them that that is a horrible thing, and it is to be frowned upon.
    If you don't listen to anything else in this response listen to this, cause I'm talking from experience: If you expect to much from the ones you love you might just lose them forever.
    I am not going to expect too much from them. As I said, my wife will be seeking perfection too. Since we will be the main sources of influence for our kid(s), that will just be passed down to them.

Years
  • This is getting a bit spammy.. For those of you who insist on writing mountains of text, either put it in spoilers, for hugeness, or avoid going off on tangents/dodging the topic.

Meduza

Majestic Dawn
    Years
    • Seen Jul 8, 2014
    And ShinyMeowth, one last question. What if your wife doesn't want to do these things you say you want to do to your children? It's quite possible she may have different views on the matter than you.

Goatman56

Years
    • Age 32
    • Seen Oct 21, 2019
    Man, I'm tired after reading those big walls of text. But, even after reading ShinyMeowth's, well worded reasoning for wanting to raise his children in the way he has described, I still will forever and always disagree with it. Because that's who I am and it's what I believe. Maybe the Chinese way of parenting works for some, but it still wouldn't have mattered for me. My parents could have tried this on me from the beginning and it wouldn't have made a difference. In fact when I was younger they placed high value in me doing my work to the best of my abilities. But even at a young age I wasn't so blind that I couldn't see, school work and just doing what they tell me isn't where my happiness lied. So from a young age I always just did enough work to get by and that was fine with me but not my parents. So they would ground me, what the hell did I care, you can't force me to do something I just don't care about. I didn't go crazy and rebel in outrageous ways, like doing drugs and drinking. I never intended to do drugs or drink since I was in middle school. That's just who I am, that was my personality from the start. I march to the beat of my own drummer and I stay true to who I am. I gained some values from my parents and I'm kind of glad that they did try to be strict because if the wouldn't have been, maybe I never would have found my independence. What I guess I'm trying to say is, you can try to raise your kid any way you want, but I think that just depends on the personality of said kid. A kid with a weaker personality, I believe, would just follow orders blindly. Where as a kid with a stronger personality won't be so easy to manipulate.

Not sure if that makes sense, but meh. Also ShinyMeowth, I must say you are very intelligent for your age, I don't agree with what you say, but at the same time I don't feel I'm intelligent enough to debate with you on the subject. That and you seem very set in your own ways and it's been proven time and time again that it is almost always impossible to change someones opinion.

Back