• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

4th Gen Why both?

Newbie 2.0

The New Type of Noob
Years
    • Seen Feb 28, 2011
    Lolz, another new thread.

But why will people get both versions of the game? I mean one is enough, because if you get the other one it's just more of the same and very boring. There's no big huge difference in the versions other than a few Pokemon exclusives, which you can trade on here.

I'm guessing the only reasons might be that you're a big Pokemon fan and love to collect the games or you want both figurines? Other than that, I dunno why.

Phantom Kat

A Daydreamer Longing To Write
    Years
    • Age 31
    • Seen May 12, 2010
    Like you said, some people like to collect the games and/or the figurines. Other people want one game to have their main file on (as in, they aren't going to start a new game) and another to restart whenever they want. There's also people who like to experiment with glitches and stuff, and want one game to experiment on so their prized game file isn't corrupted or something.

In a nutshell, there's many reasons. :p

- Kat

Years
    • Seen Jan 25, 2013
    Lolz, another new thread.

But why will people get both versions of the game? I mean one is enough, because if you get the other one it's just more of the same and very boring. There's no big huge difference in the versions other than a few Pokemon exclusives, which you can trade on here.

I'm guessing the only reasons might be that you're a big Pokemon fan and love to collect the games or you want both figurines? Other than that, I dunno why.
    Its probablly because they want to have 2 different save files in a way.
    But for me its pointless. :P

Years
  • Like you said, some people like to collect the games and/or the figurines. Other people want one game to have their main file on (as in, they aren't going to start a new game) and another to restart whenever they want. There's also people who like to experiment with glitches and stuff, and want one game to experiment on so their prized game file isn't corrupted or something.
    This is the main reason.

And, trading is fine, but sometimes it's a pain to check posts everyday in the trade thread trying to bum a pokemon off of someone else.

"Dude, like......can I have ur Celebi?"

"Lol. No. >.>"

And these days, I like having both versions just because I don't have to restart my main file to recieve an event twice. When the Mew event comes over Nintendo WFC, I plan to restart HG repeatedly for several mews and keep SS going as my main file.

And I've always bought every version. Kind of a self-tradition I guess. *shrugs*

Years
    • Seen Jan 25, 2013
    This is the main reason.

And, trading is fine, but sometimes it's a pain to check posts everyday in the trade thread trying to bum a pokemon off of someone else.

"Dude, like......can I have ur Celebi?"

"Lol. No. >.>"

And these days, I like having both versions just because I don't have to restart my main file to recieve an event twice. When the Mew event comes over Nintendo WFC, I plan to restart HG repeatedly for several mews and keep SS going as my main file.

And I've always bought every version. Kind of a self-tradition I guess. *shrugs*
    I guess so, but in my opinion its not worth another 40$ for the same game.

bobandbill

one more time
    Years
  • For me it's different - I'm planning on buying two versions myself, only one will be my sister's file so they're not exactly both for myself. XD

LoneStarAkira

This place is cooler already!
    Years
  • I'm buying both because one's going to my older brother, but I'm pretty sure most people just enjoy having the sets, as well as easy access to any version-exclusive Pokemon that aren't on their main games. It's faster than using GTS alot of the time, too.

Coukie

It's only faint
    Years
  • Because I, being the nostalgically greedy Pokemon trainer I am, will want to play both just to say I did. :P

sirboulevard

Apricorn Maniac
    Years
  • One, yes I want both figurines.

Two, one is my primary game, the other is going to be loaned to a friend.

Captain Riolu

Ace Detective
    Years
  • I don't like having two versions of what is essentially the same game. And also, it kills the fun of trading to catch them all. It's also quite a bit of cash to dish out. IMO, it's not worth it. No offense, guys :D

Years
  • I guess so, but in my opinion its not worth another 40$ for the same game.
    In my opinion they should only release Crystal, Emerald etc. It really is a waste. They purposely leave features out of the first two versions to sell more copies of the third. We should have multiple files. If they are worried about people catching legends twice, than maybe they can just ban trading on all files but the first. :/

Years
    • Seen Apr 10, 2010
    I buy both because I want to have all the pokemon. :|
    It's also fun to start again, but not worrying about losing save data. *packrat*

In my opinion they should only release Crystal, Emerald etc. It really is a waste. They purposely leave features out of the first two versions to sell more copies of the third. We should have multiple files. If they are worried about people catching legends twice, than maybe they can just ban trading on all files but the first. :/

Allow 3 save files per game. Don't allow any method for each file to trade with itself.
    So what if people farm Legends? It's not like people don't/won't do this with events. *See post in this thread about farming Mews*

If memory is an issue (wut), I wouldn't mind a lack of graphic improvements in exchange for even one extra save slot per game pack. :/

Years
    • Seen Nov 17, 2023
    hmm, i have both diamond and pearl, and that was a complete waste of money -.-
    i rather trade for the pokemon then buy both games.
    their a bit pricey, and i cant just pull 80$ out of my pocket ;-P
    ehe x3

Peccadillo

p h a n t o m
    Years
    • Seen Feb 18, 2011
    I do like buying all versions eventually for collector's sake, but until money permits, I will buy one of these on the release date.

Years
  • Well, I only really wanted Soul Silver, but my mother reserved both, so I guess I have to buy both. x_x Not that I'd mind, since I would eventually buy it. I like having all of the pokemon games. And what most other people said, one is going to be like, my first game. This is where I'm going to store all of my pokemon that are worth something. My other game will be the one I can reset when I want, let my cousins use, etc.

Panfisha

BIGGLYPUFF?
    Years
    • Seen Dec 21, 2021
    I was only able to afford 1, so I chose soul silver because I liked lugia more;plus silver had skarmory.
    If I could afford it, I'd surely pre-order HG too so I could have the figurine, and another version to play using a different starter and completely different pokemon. I may someday buy HG after the release just for fun.

Years
    • Age 37
    • Seen May 15, 2024
    And also, it kills the fun of trading to catch them all. It's also quite a bit of cash to dish out. IMO, it's not worth it. No offense, guys :D
    But for some people, it's not fun to trade with other people. I'm the only local player of Pokemon games that I know. Finding someone with HeartGold (since I first picked up SoulSilver because I only had money to pre-order one since the credit card machines were down at the store) around me is going to be a difficult task.

And yes, there is the Wi-Fi trading, but that requires both people being on at the same time. My schedule is rather different from when most people are on (these forums are dying/dead when I have the most time to be here), so finding someone to trade with and who's on at the same time isn't that easy of an option.

Instead, it's a lot more "fun" for me to have both HG and SS to trade between. I have the systems to do so, and I like knowing where my Pokemon came from. It's just a personal preference.

Also what's fun for me is experimenting with different teams and Pokemon. Trying to do things different ways in the same game, and I really don't want to do that on my "main" SS game, since I don't want to lose the work I put into that game.

And two Pokewalkers. Yes please.

I've always had only one version of the games to play around with, due to lack of money and a selfish older sibling. Now that I can finally have the opportunity to get both versions, I'm going to make good use of that. Is it just the same game in different packaging? Yes, but I just want to experience both games for once, especially with a game pair that I've been waiting for for quite some years.

They purposely leave features out of the first two versions to sell more copies of the third.
    You mean Nintendo purposely makes a third version of the same game interesting to people so that they'll spend money on it for different features? It's weird to us, but then again, Nintendo knows what they're doing. It's worked well enough for them that they've done it so many times in the past, even with non-mainstream games (Explorers of Time/Darkness/Sky). While it might be better for the players to only have one game with everything in it, they're going to repeat a successful pattern. Many other companies have done that as well, like EA Games and their many many Sims expansion packs/stuff packs (pay $20 for three new hairs and a new bed!)

I honestly didn't mean to go all "srs business" with this post. Sorry about that.

Back