• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

3rd Gen Why do people hate the hoenn pokes so much?

Status
Not open for further replies.

*Latias

It's so cool.
    Years
    • Seen Jun 26, 2012
    The third generation is my favourite. I liked it since the first time I saw it, and I liked (and still like) all of the pokes except one or two...
    R/S/E were very entertaining to me. I loved all of the innovations: the new pokes, the contests, the battles 2 vs. 2, the introduction of the two teams Aqua and Magma, the plot and the music.
    It's definitely my favourite generation and it is sad to hear most of people hate it. :(

X8D

Oh My gawd!
    Years
    • Seen Jun 13, 2011
    it's not liek people hate Hoenn's mons, they just prefer other gens,like gen II(which has a lot of cute stuff btw)

Years
    • Seen Aug 2, 2016
    Cause they are better than the ones they loved before they came out...

Years
    I don't know about anyone else, but the third gen has been and most likely always will be my favourite generation. It had a certain feel to it - the graphics were so much better than the previous generations, and I actually prefer them to the pseudo 3d effect that they have tried to get with the latest generations. They have so much replayability as well, I've played them over and over loads of times and never got bored - more than I can say for the 4th gen. Same with the pokemon designs - they were different and gave the game a whole new feel, a fresh start like gen 5. I really don't see why gen 3 and 5 get so much hate, they're my favourite of them all!

大輔

Adventurer
    Years
    Nobody is really giving valid points as to why they hate 3rd gen pokemon and the reason... it's just pure negativity. The hoenn region is probably one of the most detailed regions by far and the most interesting to explore. It was a tropical area with many islands to explore, and the pokemon were fantastic, blaziken was one of my favorites being the first to have a combination of fire and fighting. Maybe I'm alone but all of the regions are fun to explore. And yeah, who cares about the "graphics" of the games, all these games are is just simple text and competing with your pokemon. Jeez, people make pokemon into a favoritism war now a days.

Years
    • Seen Feb 5, 2012
    Hoenn pokes are my second fav, next to Johto. I think they get hated on for sort of repeating what people had already seen enough of i.e. rattata, sentret, zigzagoon...

Brittani

Pokefan for life!! (:
    Years
    Personally, the only pokemon that seem like actual pokemon are the Kanto and Johto regions. everything after that just look like science experiments gone wrong. Could be because I was real young when playing the original games, and being so young, I have so many memories of the old episodes and games and I guess I don't like the changes.

feralig8rx

PokeFanatic
    Years
    Personally I love the Hoenn era for the reason some people are saying; because its so different from the rest.

Is it the best? no.

It could use a lot of work. Some Pokemon just didn't feel like Pokemon. But overall, the whole "feel" of the entire generation was different (even the game itself) and the legendaries were the best IMO. Dialga and Palkia? um ok. Kyogre and Groudon are my favorite 2 main legendaries and Rayquaza is my favorite legendary, period.

Emerald was awesome (although I never finished ruby/sapphire), both the storyline and Battle Frontier were good. However the Pokemon in that gen successfully carried the storyline and general feel of the game, in my opinion.

luxuriate

Original Trainer
    Years
    I would have to say Hoenn was great. Gen I, II, and III were at their best as it got.
    Gen I and II had a classic feel, for sure. However, they were flawed and later fixed.
    When it got to Gen II, the idea of the sequel set years later when Team Rocket returns and including Kanto AND Johto, that I'd say was epic.
    Then they introduced Dark and Steel types? That was a good development.

Gen III was different and possibly not close to Kanto and Johto at all. It had two Teams rivalrous of each other, but no new types. The Pokemon, to the point, was its best suit. The starter pokemon had combo types. Desert pokemon, relic pokemon, a bonanza of Legendaries: Latios, Latias, Groudon, Kyogre, the Regis (which reminded me a bit of Unown but not too overwhelming) andJirachi and Rayquaza AND Deoxys? There's play on weather, there's extras like Abilities and Natures that contribute to stat growth. Sure, it got a bit intricate but it wasn't too bad. It made for an interesting battle, didn't it? Not to mention double battles which Emerald mastered.

Post-Gen III Pokemon looked like crap. They didn't even look like Pokemon at all. Just poorly constructed concepts, bulging marshmallows. I shudder.

Hoenn Pokemon had substance and an edge to it, however how shinier they were than the first two Gens.

Brendan859

Hoenn Champion
    Years
    I have to say I love Hoenn.Cool Legendaries,awesome plot and music,badass starters,introduction of the Battle Frontier.
    My first Pokemon game was Emerald and I loved it so much.
    I think some people hate Hoenn because of the Map or they just prefer Gen I and II ,but personally I think Hoenn is the most entertaining Region with its tropical enviroment and its wide open areas.

Last edited:

竜の子

Avy made by Trainer Touko
    Years
    That's because it was hte first closed gen ever.
    Gen I introduced pokemon to the masses
    gen II complemented Gen I
    But Gen III introduced one pre-evo while a lot of people were waiting for an eeveelution or another thing.If it wasn'tclosed it might had been liked more

GXS

<---Following Red ;P
    Years
    • Seen Dec 19, 2012
    I like them, just not as much as i like my johto pokemon :P

FlameChocobo

Warrior of Hoenn
    Years
    • Seen Dec 27, 2016
    That's because it was hte first closed gen ever.
    Gen I introduced pokemon to the masses
    gen II complemented Gen I
    But Gen III introduced one pre-evo while a lot of people were waiting for an eeveelution or another thing.If it wasn'tclosed it might had been liked more

Correction: 2 Prevolutions.

Both of them are the baby forms of Second Generation Pokemon though.

Years
    • Seen May 26, 2012
    I actually liked RSE more than Gold/Silver... it had my favorite Pokemon in it, and I just loved the map, but I guess that's just me.

Years
    • Seen May 13, 2012
    I thought some of the Hoenn Pokemon were cool. I thought Castform was really unique. Absol is one of my favorites of all time, just cause I think it looks cool. I also like that all the starters begin looking somewhat cute if not adorable, then look quite scary at the final stage. IMHO, the only cute one in R/B/Y was Charmander and in G/S/C was Chikorita.

I feel the newer Pokemon in general are much more creative. Way too many pokemon are just multiples of their basic stage. See Dodrio, Dugtrio, Magneton.....I also always found Exeggcute annoying. How does a pile of eggs become a palm tree? And for Bellsprout to evolve, it just gets huge and turns itself inside out. -___-

Then again, I suppose the newer ones have their faults too. I will never understand why Trapinch ultimately becomes Flygon. They look nothing alike. If anything should be a baby Flygon, it should be Snivy, they even have the same tail!!!

Thats just what I think.

Last edited:

Oranje

Go Arsenal
    Years
    I cannot pick six pokemon from the Hoen region I would want to train. When I played through the game I always found myself finding a cooler old pokemon. For example... Vulpix over Numel...

Greeeny

Yes, that's three E's.
    Years
    • Seen Jul 29, 2011
    I don't mind Hoenn pokemon, they actually look like pokemon. It was after that, DPPt/WB is when they started looking like fan art and Digimon.

PokemonLeagueChamp

Traveling Hoenn once more.
    Years
    Why do some people hate Hoenn Pokemon? Other than being assaulted by hordes of Spinda on the way to Fallarbor Town?
    Why do people hate the hoenn pokes so much?

That is all.

OceanBluue

Water Pokemon Lover
    Years
    Sapphire has and always will be my favorite of all the games. :)

I just like Hoenn because it was a large leap forward from the past generations.
    The story line was good, the pokemon looked like actual pokemon, and I loved the legendaries (especially Kyogre). x3

I cannot pick six pokemon from the Hoen region I would want to train. When I played through the game I always found myself finding a cooler old pokemon. For example... Vulpix over Numel...

Numel was introduced Gen III, it's not old in R/S/E.

Last edited:
    Years
    • Seen Apr 16, 2012
    I actually liked the Hoenn region. It had an awesome story line, the Pokemon still looked like Pokemon. The game wasn't boring, and it is home to some of my favorite Pokemon. Plus the male protagonist is totally sexy.

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Back