• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

3rd Gen Why do people hate the hoenn pokes so much?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Years
  • Hmm,to be honest I actually quite like Hoenn Pokemon,so I don't really see why they are so hated...Maybe it's because RSE are so different from RBY and GSC?

Years
    • Seen Apr 21, 2013
    My order in gens is II,III,I,IV,V. I liked the story in r/s/e but The graphics looked different to me a little. I was excited for the manga but now my hopes are up for that. I think ill restart my games. I hope they remake these games soon. With some extra flare.

Beaute

。◕‿◕。
    Years
  • I have to disagree with a lot of people. I thought the Hoehn Pokemon designs where amazing. I never had hatred for the Hoehn region. x.x

cazzler

Feraligatr FtW!
    Years
  • I never really did see the hate... Only for 5th gen Pokemon, but even so, its dying down, people slowly get over these designs and learn to love them, like me and 5th gen lol. But Hoenn Pokemon are cool In my opinion.

Retro Gamer'93

Pokemon Master of Kanto
    Years
  • For me, the reason the Hoenn Region pissed me off so much was because, like a lot of people on here have been saying, a lot of the pokemon are just complete rip offs of the greats of the previous games. Beautifly(I think this is the name) is basically Butterfree with new graphics, and that's what pissed me off the most, every playthrough I go through in R/B/Y G/S/C I have a Butterfree at the Elite 4 lol. Also, the secret base system was just a fail, complete and utter fail, when people think of secret bases they think of elaborate mansions hidden underground, under water, etc. those little maps that were supposed to be bases absolutely sucked.

Another thing, the contests were absolutely freaking annoying, who in the hell wants to make a pokemon that can cause earthquakes look pretty? And yet another thing(Hoenn seems full of them), the day and night system was what completely ruined the game for me, I was used to staying up extremely late playing pokemon to get specific pokemon at night, and now they take that out? And the absolute worse thing they did in the entire game was to completely shut off the Johto and Kanto regions, thereby cutting off every single pokemon we had grown up with(I was 3 when Red and Blue came out) out of the games until FireRed and LeafGreen. Sorry for the rant but the only thing good about the series, in my opinion, was Emerald and the Battle Tower.

Edit: I have no problem with the graphics, IMO the graphics where amazing, it was just the ripoff pokemon that pissed me off.

Same here, mine was Ruby and I completely agree but I didn't like RBY because it seemed too basic and the Pikachu began to annoy me in Yellow.

If you had played the original games and then progressed up until Hoenn trust me, you would notice just how good the original games where, starting with good graphics and going to old style that you've never encountered before is annoying. I play the originals(Gen I and II) all the time but I still find it hard to go back and forth between graphic styles.

I really loved the set in Hoenn, actually. IMHO, I think that in terms of semi-pro and aesthetic features, everything went downhill starting from Sinnoh. I really hope they make some sort of Magma Ruby and Aqua Sapphire that really plunges more into the Magma/Aqua schindig, in where you get to play a mission in which you are a grunt for the respective teams.

Now that, would be awesome. Here's hoping, though we'll probably be disappointed...

Last edited:
    Years
    • Seen May 26, 2012
    hoenn's pokemon families too much similar to gen 1. As if imitating them. For example bagon-dratini, electrike-pikachu, beatufly-butterfree etc. maybe nintendo wanted to make forgotten gen1 with gen 3. so nostalgia-lover people don't like gen 3. but i like them.

FlameChocobo

Warrior of Hoenn
    Years
    • Seen Dec 27, 2016
    For me, the reason the Hoenn Region pissed me off so much was because, like a lot of people on here have been saying, a lot of the pokemon are just complete rip offs of the greats of the previous games. Beautifly(I think this is the name) is basically Butterfree with new graphics, and that's what pissed me off the most, every playthrough I go through in R/B/Y G/S/C I have a Butterfree at the Elite 4 lol. Also, the secret base system was just a fail, complete and utter fail, when people think of secret bases they think of elaborate mansions hidden underground, under water, etc. those little maps that were supposed to be bases absolutely sucked.

Another thing, the contests were absolutely freaking annoying, who in the hell wants to make a pokemon that can cause earthquakes look pretty? And yet another thing(Hoenn seems full of them), the day and night system was what completely ruined the game for me, I was used to staying up extremely late playing pokemon to get specific pokemon at night, and now they take that out? And the absolute worse thing they did in the entire game was to completely shut off the Johto and Kanto regions, thereby cutting off every single pokemon we had grown up with(I was 3 when Red and Blue came out) out of the games until FireRed and LeafGreen. Sorry for the rant but the only thing good about the series, in my opinion, was Emerald and the Battle Tower.

Edit: I have no problem with the graphics, IMO the graphics where amazing, it was just the ripoff pokemon that pissed me off.

Completely shut off Kanto and Johto, eh?

Get this: Kanto is the biggest flaw in Gold, Silver, and Crystal as stated above. I got utterly disappointed when I get to explore Kanto and seeing how bland it is when playing GSC. I would have felt the same for Ruby and Sapphire if they tend to add Kanto and Johto upon making them (ASSUMING they have to nerf regions because of the limited cartridge space JUST LIKE in GSC, making those regions horrible,) which they didn't. 2 regions in 1 game just didn't stand out good until remakes came along (You are freaking wrong for saying Sevii Islands isn't a Region because it counts as a Region.) Not having a region that was in a previous generation at all is better than having a nerfed one in a game. Pokemon isn't about exploring ALL regions in one game. It would probably seem pointless and boring, especially if they have to nerf them because of the limited spaces on the ROM data of what the game is.

If you had played the original games and then progressed up until Hoenn trust me, you would notice just how good the original games where, starting with good graphics and going to old style that you've never encountered before is annoying. I play the originals(Gen I and II) all the time but I still find it hard to go back and forth between graphic styles.

Not everyone likes First Generation and Second Generation. There are NO best games out there. It depends on how enjoyable it is to some people. Bashing people for not enjoying the games you enjoyed is very rude and immature, and deserves to be criticized for that.

Don't get me wrong, First Generation is where I started as Yellow is my very first mainstream game I played (I was 8 years old.) And it was probably my most favorite. Now as an adult, it's my 2nd most favorite (I enjoy RSE more than RGBY, mind you.) It's called "Personal taste." One person has good taste on this game while the other has bad taste on it.

Yoshikko

the princess has awoken while the prince sleeps on
    Years
    • Seen Apr 27, 2020
    Sapphire was one of my favourite games actually, I loved the story, the characters, the MUSIC, the Pokémon and Hoenn itself, about everything.

Years
    • Seen Nov 29, 2011
    The Hoenn Region is by far my favorite of the first three. Some of the best Pokemon, like Treeko, Kyorge (I had Sapphire) the way you had to get the Regi Pokemon was cool, the new HMs were amazing for a GBA game, like dive. The hideouts, I can see where people say they failed, but it beats going all the way back to a Pokemon Center when your in the middle of nowhere, what could have made it better is if you could've gotten the full PC and the healing table from the Centers, my problem was always remembering where it is. They should have mark where it is each time you change it. The different bikes you could get and the fact that in some places you HAD to have one or the other. I liked that there was ONLY one region to explore. That was the one big complaint I had of Gold, it was dull. But for me Sapphire was the last game in the series that I actually liked.

Years
    • Seen Mar 18, 2017
    I really like the Hoenn pokemon. Sure, there were some crappy ones (I didn't care for Luvdisc or the Wurmple line), but I have a lot of favorites from this region (all 3 starters, the Ralts line, the Beldum line, Feebas/Milotic, and several others). I'm pretty sure the people who hate Hoenn pokemon are just the nostalgia fanboys who won't tolerate anything after 2nd gen.

Drakio

The next youngster Joey!
    Years
  • The hoenn games were one of the my fav games, it was a big stepping stone for game freak and the pokemon franchise. The idea of letting people be coordinators in contest, the story was a very well thought out enjoyable story, the pokemon were awesome, the game wasn't to hard but yet not to easy either, and the graphics greatly improved from g/s. So I don't see what there is to hate. Oh and I almost forgot, the male trainer looked awesome, and they had primer balls.

blakfyr999

PWNGE Trainer
    Years
  • PEOPLE HATE HOENN? I loved it. The game itself was just epic, sapphire of which I had :P, ordinarily, I'd say...why want a Hoenn remake? But if they keep the same music, graphics, (updated, of course) and the overall experience of the game, I'd buy it TEN TIMES OVER,

then play it on the graves of those who hate Hoenn.

Cac

Years
    • Seen Dec 17, 2011
    The hoenn games were one of the my fav games, it was a big stepping stone for game freak and the pokemon franchise. The idea of letting people be coordinators in contest, the story was a very well thought out enjoyable story, the pokemon were awesome, the game wasn't to hard but yet not to easy either, and the graphics greatly improved from g/s. So I don't see what there is to hate. Oh and I almost forgot, the male trainer looked awesome, and they had primer balls.

Also, the map was great, wide open oceans instead of confining routes, volcanos that affect the weather, not to mention the rainforest and desert like routes. (Route 119 was my favourite out of all the games.)

Years
  • Hoenn was the first region I ever played games of so the Hoenn Pokemon I got hooked on quickly.

The contests weren't as good as Sinnoh, but I loved the Pokemon (some of my favorites were there too like Golduck and Xatu) and the storyline not to forget Hoenn's climate and weather patterns.

As this was my first region, I was only fairly new to Pokemon games and used very lackluster teams but still, I became Champion!

And I loved the starters too, especially Mudkip.

I chose Mudkip cos I read a walkthrough and they said it was the easiest one to use plus I like Water-type Pokemon.

I really wish for a Ruby/Sapphire remake, if there ever is one in the future.

TheGr8

lovely pair<3
    Years
  • Yeah, I deff remember the day I got my Ruby version everyone at my camp was playing it, I loved to battle :P And plus I loved the pokes in general.

sherreamethyst

Dragonite's Momma
    Years
  • I remember liking the Battle Tower a lot and some of the Pokemon were pretty cool(Flygon is my 2nd favorite Pokemon), but I felt the game was too easy and kind of boring. I got my first 3 badges in about 4 hours, and that kinda pissed me off because I like taking the game slow so I can enjoy it. I have some more reasons why Hoenn is my least favorite of all the region(like the female character you play as, May, was totally ugly. -_-) but I'll address them later...

GunSaberSeraph

Durandal of the Devic Era
    Years
    • Seen Dec 30, 2016
    I think its just bitterness towards Generation 3 in general. Years ago, I used to be on the "Gen 3 Blows" bandwagon, but after replaying RSE (Emerald in particular) I really grew to love Hoenn and all the Pokemon in it. There were some really cool critters like The starters final forms, Flygon, Ninjask, the Aron line, Medicham, Milotic...(the list goes on, lol)

I really wish I understood how good Hoenn really had it back when I first played in '03. Truly fantastic region.

kaiser32

Rhymin' and Stealin' ~
    Years
    • Seen Mar 29, 2013
    Personally, Gen 3 will always be my favorite. I mean, I spent lots of time on R/S/E. I think people hate Gen 3 in itself and not the pokemon in it. Gen 3 > Gen 4 anyday.

No offense.

blue

gucci
    Years
  • It's not so much hate it's just not appreciated as much as Johto & Kanto. I personally love Hoenn and think it's a beautiful region with some amazing Pokémon, the best Pokemon game infact it's just at the time fans didn't respect it as much but now I think as older fans are replaying them it's getting more credit and respect which it deserves, I'd love to see a remake!

echolocated

rated R for robocop
    Years
  • Hoenn was really one of my favorite regions because of all the really cool Pokemon they introduced, the storyline, secret bases, the puzzle involving the Regis, and of course the upgraded graphics. The only thing i probably didn't like there was Luvdisc. I would love it if they made a remake, like most others have said.

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Back