• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Why do people treat children better that adults ?

Kikaito plush

Angeline plushxKikaito plush
    Years
    Don't know if this goes here but if it doesn't please move/lock it.

Why is it that people treat children better that other adults ?

as I see here in my family they seem to treat the child better and not the adults. I'll give you an example

Me: I don't feel so good
    mum: so what

example 2

sister: my son doesn't feel well
    mum: we'll buy him a present to cheer him up

Charicific

PkMn Trainer
    Years
    Umm...they're kids I guess? They need care and guide. If you step into Adulthood, or even Teenage hood sometimes, they won't really spoil you or something. You're "supposed" to act independent and thoughtful. At least, this is how I think it should go :\

Years
    • Seen Aug 25, 2015
    Adults have more responsibilities and are responsible for every thing they say or do, children have to be taught these things before becoming adults themselves, people like to nuture children and help them, thats my take on it. I wouldnt say Adults are really treated badly, I mean they can but they certainly arent always.

Years
    Children are weak and need help and protection. If they are hurt they are less likely than adults to know if they are hurt badly. (They could be seriously injured and not think it's that bad, or they could cry like they're dying with only a small scrape.)

Some people are also predisposed to liking children so they'll give them more attention, affection, or what have you.

Years
    • Seen May 16, 2014
    Children are the future! .. you can Change them into Responsible Citizens by nurturing them with care and kind treatment!..
    but Adults are already whatever they are! ...they cannot be changed! .. so there is a difference in treatment !

Sydian

fake your death.
    Years
    Because adults have had more time to learn how to take care of themselves and be responsible and children haven't. They need to be taught these things and they need care and consideration, plus they're not even through with their education. Sadly most adults can't even behave correctly and expect to be treated as a child, and if they're parents themselves, their children suffer because of it.

but Adults are already whatever they are! ...they cannot be changed!

I beg to differ.

Last edited:

pokecole

Brave Frontier is great.
    Years
    In my opinion, children are treated better because they are young and not able to defend themselves. They are also more naive because they are still learning about the world and people want the children to think the world is a great place so they treat them very nicely, to, in some extent, inspire them to do great things because the world is worth it. If you tell a child, "People are dying in Africa" or "That guy just got mugged for no reason other than money." The child will think the world is terrible and will grow up thinking the world is not worth the effort, and will just give up on accomplish anything. Although, to an extent, this may inspire them more to change the world. There is a delicate balance that is needed between sheltering and being too honest.

Oryx

CoquettishCat
    Years
    • Age 31
    • Seen Jan 30, 2015
    In the specific case of sickness, children are not expected to be responsible while sick. Kids are more fragile than parents and have less of a need to be doing things. As a kid, you can get away with staying home from school whenever you have the sniffles because you can easily make it up, and school will run just fine without you. As an adult, if you have a child that child will not be able to make it through the day easily if you take a sick day and just lay in bed all day. If you have a job usually calling out leaves consequences, even in something as seemingly simple as a fast-food job. These are the kinds of responsibilities that adults have that children lack. If it was possible to just stop the world when an adult got sick, surely it would be done, but it can't. Besides, as an adult you should be mature enough to not need to be babied for your sickness tbh.

In general, children are fragile and easily influenced. In addition, they're not responsible enough to be able to communicate often how sick they are; like Scarf said, they're not a good judge of their own sickness. I have a specific memory of getting a dangerously high fever and fighting my mom tooth and nail when she wanted to put me into a cold bath because I thought I was fine. Children are also more easily hurt than adults, because of their immaturity. As a child, you tend to think that the world revolves around you, and when the illusion is broken and the child realizes that they're not the most important thing in the world they're massively hurt. It's just the way kids are; it takes time to learn to think about things other than yourself and they just haven't had enough time yet. Adults, on the other hand, are expected to have some level of maturity that allows them to be treated as equal human beings and not as a lesser life form that needs protection and guidance, like children.

It's arguable whether children are treated better than adults though. I could easily argue that while children get coddled, they're also controlled in most aspects of life because of their youth and having parents setting the rules. I feel like as a young adult I'm currently being treated the best out of all age groups; when I want to, I can take the role of an adult and be treated like one, but when I'm around my parents I can revert to being a child and let my mother take care of me, buy food, etc. without infringing on my independence too much.

Years
    • Seen Mar 28, 2024
    People are just naturally soft on children. I however have a hard time being nice to children, as I can't really stand how children have the right to be selfish. Even though I was of course a child at one point, I still don't like it.

|Equinox|

Going on a hiatus :'(
    Years
    Perhaps the fact that Children are more dependent and weaker compared to parents. Some care for their Children and understand their problems, hence the 'Here's a gift to cheer you up' scenario. On the other hand there are some parents that want to train them to be independent, or perhaps they're just bad parents. We'll never know.

Nihilego

[color=#95b4d4]ユービーゼロイチ パラサイト[/color]
    Years
    Zaviah said:
    Adults know the things to separate and they know which is good and which is bad. They have the responsibilities and abilities to do stuff on their own, but children are not like that. They need the proper guidance and the support in their small ages so they will carry up it in the future.

I agree with the banned adbot.

It's not instinct for a person to be able to take care of themselves, but rather learned behaviour. Sure everyone can perform basic life functions but children have a lot to learn from adults in terms of appropriate behaviour, social norms, etc. And, in the case of your example where a child is ill, they won't really know what to do with themselves. I think it's less a "child > adult because it's a child" thing and more a "children need more help than adults because they don't understand what to do and won't benefit from not getting help".

Regarding them being treated 'better', though, it depends on what you define as better. While children do get more care and attention than an adult, I don't think there's any adult on earth who would want to be controlled and monitored like a child is. I know I'd take the adult life over the child life. While it's necessary for the wellbeing of the child to have at least a certain degree of control, I don't think it's particularly pleasant for the child all the time.

OmegaRuby and AlphaSapphire

10000 year Emperor of Hoenn
    Years
    I agree with most of the people on here: Children need care as they are seen as fragile things, while adults are simply expected to take care of themselves.

Though children are some of the most abused people due to the same reasons...

Broken_Arrow

Paper Plane
    Years
    cuz children are nice,never lie and when they love they say it and show it when they hate they also show it and it rarely happens with them...and they are pure and they never disappoint you..however i hate when they start crying but i love their serenity..hopefully they grow up to stay like this but you know..children will be aadults someday so they will be treated bad too

Oryx

CoquettishCat
    Years
    • Age 31
    • Seen Jan 30, 2015
    cuz children are nice,never lie and when they love they say it and show it when they hate they also show it and it rarely happens with them...and they are pure and they never disappoint you..however i hate when they start crying but i love their serenity..hopefully they grow up to stay like this but you know..children will be aadults someday so they will be treated bad too

Most kids start lying at around 5 or even a few years before, when we're still taking care of them, so I wouldn't argue that they never lie, or are pure. Spend a few weeks in an unruly preschool class or a daycare for young children and you'll probably see more hitting, screaming, lying, and general terribleness of kids than in most adults who are aware of the social faux pas that those kinds of things are.

I think your mind is the ideal child, not any real child that exists. :P

Years
    • Seen Mar 29, 2015
    First & foremost, they're more delicate than even the most fragile pieces of glass. Also, they've literally got zero intelligence.

But what can you expect, or do about it, for that matter?

Abi~

-insert title here?-
    Years
    • Age 29
    • USA
    • Seen Sep 23, 2012
    Children are known as being more innocent and oblivious to the world, and still need to be nurtured. In the eyes of many, adults no longer need that, which isn't true, but it seems to be the way they think.

diab_low

All men live, only few exist.
    Years
    yeah don't forget their still children they are naive, innocent , and still cant make informed choices on life that is why they are treated with more attention. its like their training stage.

Years
    • Seen Jul 27, 2012
    Adults believe that other adults don't need help with things like sickness since they are mature enough to do so. Have you ever seen an adult help another adult outside of a hospital? Children are different. As many other people have said, they are innocent, the future, naive, and other such things that just make people want to help them. Its like trying to look at a baby without smiling. You pretty much can't. Do you smile when you see adults? I don't think so.

Back