• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Why do you main who you do?

SonicZ16

Blazing Attacker
    Years
    How did it come to be that you decided, "Yeah, I'm definitely maining this Pokemon!" Was it because you like that Pokemon when playing the main games or when watching the show? Or because you liked how their moveset worked and thought it was just right for you?

For me personally, it's the former. I main Blaziken because he's my most favorite Pokemon out there! And because of that, it makes me want to try other Pokemon I like, such as Charizard, Weavile, Gengar, and Gardevoir!

Years
    This is a really cool question! It'll be interesting to see what everyone else says...

Years ago, when I was into the Pokemon trading card game, I had this really cool Machamp card... It was able to beat my brother every time, and I became very fond of the four-armed fighting type!

When I heard Machamp was being added (before I even saw his moveset), I was thrilled! Coincidentally, Machamp is a slow and powerful character, which is always my go-to character in fighting games, and I've played a LOT of fighting games...

Nah

Years
    • Age 31
    • she/her, they/them
    • Seen today
    I main Garchomp. When I first got Pokken I actually mained Lucario for a while, for reasons I don't remember, though I do like Lucario in general a bit. Then one day I felt like trying out Garchomp, as it is probably the Pokemon on the roster I like the most in general. I'm a sucker for Dragon types really. And then I just came to main the land shark dragon for whatever reason.

I have actually wanted to co-main or secondary another 'mon for quite a while now, in part because that has its practical uses and partly because I like playing more than one character. But for whatever reason I feel like I can really only play Garchomp. Others I've tried just don't quite work out for some reason. It's a bit like that in Smash 4 as well. I've mained Robin since the day the game came out, but the 2nd character has never quite fit. I went through Lucina and Falco and Rosalina before I got to Corrin as the other main now, and while Corrin feels a little better than the previous ones, it still feels like, though to a lesser degree than in Pokken, that Robin is really the only character I get. In both cases though it also happens to be that I've played the primary main far more than anyone else in the roster, so maybe I'd just need even more play time with the other potential co-mains to have them feel as right as Garchomp/Robin, but idk, I kinda doubt it.

SonicZ16

Blazing Attacker
    Years
    This is a really cool question! It'll be interesting to see what everyone else says...

Years ago, when I was into the Pokemon trading card game, I had this really cool Machamp card... It was able to beat my brother every time, and I became very fond of the four-armed fighting type!

When I heard Machamp was being added (before I even saw his moveset), I was thrilled! Coincidentally, Machamp is a slow and powerful character, which is always my go-to character in fighting games, and I've played a LOT of fighting games...

Wow, that's awesome! I knew I was forgetting something, I suppose I should tell my story as well, huh?

So, Pokemon Emerald was my first "real" Pokemon game. Torchic took a real shine to me and was my favorite Pokemon for a long time, so 10 year old me never bothered to use any other Pokemon through the whole game and... It went pretty good, for the most part. That is, until I reached Mossdeep Gym... Tate and Liza destroyed me over and over again. And that's when I learned how not to play a Pokemon game. As scarring as that experience was, I'll never forget the first time I got to actually play Pokemon, just me and Blaziken.

I main Garchomp. When I first got Pokken I actually mained Lucario for a while, for reasons I don't remember, though I do like Lucario in general a bit. Then one day I felt like trying out Garchomp, as it is probably the Pokemon on the roster I like the most in general. I'm a sucker for Dragon types really. And then I just came to main the land shark dragon for whatever reason.

I have actually wanted to co-main or secondary another 'mon for quite a while now, in part because that has its practical uses and partly because I like playing more than one character. But for whatever reason I feel like I can really only play Garchomp. Others I've tried just don't quite work out for some reason. It's a bit like that in Smash 4 as well. I've mained Robin since the day the game came out, but the 2nd character has never quite fit. I went through Lucina and Falco and Rosalina before I got to Corrin as the other main now, and while Corrin feels a little better than the previous ones, it still feels like, though to a lesser degree than in Pokken, that Robin is really the only character I get. In both cases though it also happens to be that I've played the primary main far more than anyone else in the roster, so maybe I'd just need even more play time with the other potential co-mains to have them feel as right as Garchomp/Robin, but idk, I kinda doubt it.

Funny you should mention Smash 4, because I LOVE Smash Bros., Smash 4 in particular! It's weird though... I had the exact same problem until quite recently. I mained Mario (still do) since day 1, but I always liked the idea of having a secondary character to use in certain situations. I desperately tried to find an alternate character, Yoshi, Luigi, and Lucas stood out a bit, but they didn't feel as good to play as than Mario did. I had this problem for months, but then Corrin happened. their moveset felt so nice, and I love Fire Emblem Fates, and the whole series in general! It was perfect. They instantly became my long awaited secondary.

Years
    Do you guys feel like you're cheating on your main if you play as something else too?

I kinda do. But then if I ignore the rest I feel bad for them too. Yep, I know how silly that is! {XD} Anyways, I chose Pika Libre from the start because I love girl characters and loved the black heart Cosplay Pikachu in ORAS and the theme just fits so well in a fighting game!

I think other characters may actually be better for me, such as Lucario and Garchomp and I enjoy playing others from time to time but Pika Libre is always in my mind and heart!

Years

On an unrelated note, I'd love to play Smash Bros with you guys at some point! It's my favorite game of all time. {XD}

Anyways...

Do you guys feel like you're cheating on your main if you play as something else too?

I kinda do. But then if I ignore the rest I feel bad for them too. Yep, I know how silly that is! {XD} Anyways, I chose Pika Libre from the start because I love girl characters and loved the black heart Cosplay Pikachu in ORAS and the theme just fits so well in a fighting game!

I think other characters may actually be better for me, such as Lucario and Garchomp and I enjoy playing others from time to time but Pika Libre is always in my mind and heart!

I always get that feeling! I can't stand it to go online and practice with Chandelure... That's why I keep my 'Machamp Admirer' title on at all times!

Also, I'm surprised you didn't mention Gengar in that last paragraph... I thought you were awesome with him!

Years
    • Seen Nov 8, 2016
    The reason I main Chandelure is purely out of the zoning playstyle (and the fact that I love playing characters that gets alot of hate :P) since I mained Gengar during the first week (my favorite pokemon in the cast) but didn't get connected to his moveset

Years
    I always get that feeling! I can't stand it to go online and practice with Chandelure... That's why I keep my 'Machamp Admirer' title on at all times!

Also, I'm surprised you didn't mention Gengar in that last paragraph... I thought you were awesome with him!

Good to hear, fellow crazy! {XD}

I love Gengar but I do find the characters that float about and disappear then reappear tricksy to control unfortunately!

Back