• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

[Other] Why does 3rd Generation hacking get so much support?

Years
    I'm hacking the 1st generation right now and I cannot find any tools on hacking the majors parts of the game, (Mapping, New Types, New Pokemon, Scripting...) and then I see all this support for all of those things in the 3rd Generation, and I really want to hack 1st Generation so please don't tell me to hack 3rd Generation instead. Is there a reason for this? Also, if you are hacking 1st generation, do you know where I can find tools to do these things?

Alice

(>^.(>0.0)>
    Years
    I'm hacking the 1st generation right now and I cannot find any tools on hacking the majors parts of the game, (Mapping, New Types, New Pokemon, Scripting...) and then I see all this support for all of those things in the 3rd Generation, and I really want to hack 1st Generation so please don't tell me to hack 3rd Generation instead. Is there a reason for this? Also, if you are hacking 1st generation, do you know where I can find tools to do these things?
    The tools are definitely out there, as there are 1st gen hacks. 3rd gen is more popular because it has the best graphics, and is still easy to hack unlike D/P/PT. I kinda want to hack 2nd gen, but the tools aren't easy to find, and I don't have a safe way to get the ROMs anymore. =/

Ninja Caterpie

AAAAAAAAAAAAA
    Years
    The third gen came at the right time, I guess, and more research and progress was made into it.

If you want, go ask Coolboyman on help (he probably won't mind) as he was the one who made Pokemon Brown.

You'll need to do a lot of Hex Editing and stuff though, as a lot of stuff isn't supported in tool form for the 1st Gen.

Trackstar

Say no more.
    Years
    Yeah..

I think, because the programming is easiest..? Well I don't know, but hacking it, in my opinion, is easiest for me. And the graphics, are great too.

Mapping, and the tileset is easy, too, what I mean is, it's neatly orderd.. For you.

Hope this helps.

NatureKeeper

Graphics and Programming. Pokémon Advance are just the best, They're:

*Pretty Easy to edit and manipulate.
    *16-color graphics. The D\P\Pl ones are far so revamped and the GSC, RBY ones are far so devamped.
    *Has over 300 Pokémon, which is the best amount to manipulate and edit, and give you space to get rid of useless Pokémon.

Mostly, the first and second generations are very hard to script, and also has the worst graphics from 4 to 8 bit palletes.
    D\P\Pl is 3-Dimensional Texturing. It'll be very hard to map.

And by the way some people are still dedicated to GSC, RBY hacking, (Brown, Prism and Others...)

Last edited:

sab

Now too much of a life.
    Years
    Red/Blue is a real pain to try and hack. It is a jumbled up mess.
    But besides that, here's some tools and things.
    RBY Tools
    Documents
    Looking at Data Crystal and if you can find the 'twilight hacking' forum, it will be helpful.
    Google is your friend.;)
    there is a link to twilight hacking in darkshade's sig.

Aljam

[i]Sweepin' ain't easy...[/i]
    Years
    they're the most even ground when it comes to pokemon games. Theyre not ancient looking like gen 2 and you dont need to do all the touchscreen work and 3d grapics and stuff from gen 4.

BTW this was written by PC user Dragonzord ;0

Conan Edogawa

One Truth Prevails
    Years
    The graphics and rom space are big contributors to that. There is just so much you can do with them. And the first two gens are mostly hacked with hex editors.

machomuu

Stuck in Hot Girl Summer
    Years
    The graphics and rom space are big contributors to that. There is just so much you can do with them. And the first two gens are mostly hacked with hex editors.
    Yeah, people think hex is really hard to learn, so they stick with 3rd gen. I, however, am planning on making some Super Mario World and 2nd/1st gen pokemon hacks and am learning hex.

Years
    • Seen May 3, 2010
    Hex & ASM IS hard. But I hack Super Mario World, All you need is a ROM and Lunar Magic. The only things you need a hex editor for in SMW are the animated tiles and Chocolate Island 2, you can do the rest with just Lunar Magic and a Graphics editor.

Master Terrador

Mostly Dead
    Years
    I Have Three reasons...

1.R/B/Y is a glitched up mess...And very easy to Screw yourself up and crash the ROM...And you have to use hex if you want to change scripts or insert sprites...
    2.Of course...The Graphics...Its an obvious reason...It needs no Explanation...
    3.Their user-friendly...And by that I Mean...They're are many tools created for them which doesn't require a knowledge of Hex...Which makes them way easier to hack...

Those are my three theories...

Also...Thethethethe...Those links Don't work...

Last edited:
    Back