• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Why doesn't anyone use bug pokemon anymore?!

GodcalledBOB

Dragon Tamer
    Years
    I find bug pokemon some of the most useful types as they are good at inflicting status ailments....

Butterfree, Ariados, Dustox are very under used pokemon yet they are very good! Well, Ariados isn't that good but, i cant be bothered taking it out....

Butterfree is a good pokemon because it has a reasonable amount of hp and Dustox is good for its sp. attack! :)

But you dont really see people using them nowadays :/

Perriechu

i make this look easy tik-tik boom like gasoline-y
    Years
    Well, for in-game they're really only useful for the first few gyms, their shallow movepool and mediocre stats aren't good for the later game. If you're on about the metagame, then there are only a few bug types that are used, the rest aren't because they are simply not good enough. Scizor, Volcarona, Heracross, Yanmega, Accelgor, Escavalier, Crustle and Galvantula are the only useable bug types out there. Oh and Venamoth. If you're only talking about in-game and gen iii and below ignore the last part of my post. :x

Yoshikko

the princess has awoken while the prince sleeps on
    Years
    • Seen Apr 27, 2020
    There's a lot of good bug Pokémon, some of which are even in OU tier in the metagame (Scizor, Volcarona, etc). I don't see a difference with using them competitively or in-game, but as for other bugs - they are probably just outclassed by a lot of other Pokémon you come across in-game.

GodcalledBOB

Dragon Tamer
    Years
    Well, for in-game they're really only useful for the first few gyms, their shallow movepool and mediocre stats aren't good for the later game. If you're on about the metagame, then there are only a few bug types that are used, the rest aren't because they are simply not good enough. Scizor, Volcarona, Heracross, Yanmega, Accelgor, Escavalier, Crustle and Galvantula are the only useable bug types out there. Oh and Venamoth. If you're only talking about in-game and gen iii and below ignore the last part of my post. :x
    I've never used a Accelgor, Escavalier or a Crustle but, I've used all of the others, i believe that they should make better bug pokemon yet, Heracross and Volcarona are the best of the bugs that i've ever used..

Although, I think that your right, when you said that they were only really good for the first few dreams :)

Eclispe

Beginning PsyDragon Master
    Years
    • Seen Feb 29, 2012
    Well I can only speak for myself in answering this obviously. I don't use bug poke'mon because when it comes to the other types I feel that they are hugely outclassed. All they really have going for them are status effects. That and I prefer psychic and dragon pokemon.

GodcalledBOB

Dragon Tamer
    Years
    Well I can only speak for myself in answering this obviously. I don't use bug poke'mon because when it comes to the other types I feel that they are hugely outclassed. All they really have going for them are status effects. That and I prefer psychic and dragon pokemon.
    Yeah, thats true and i also like to use dragons but i'm not entirely fond of psychic apart from Alakazam :P

Elite Overlord LeSabre™

On that 'Non stop road'
    Years
    I've only used one Bug Pokemon in all my games - Vespiquen. Well, I did use Butterfree in the early stages of Leaf Green, but only so it could Sleep Powder Abra. I think the issue lies with the bugs you catch early on aren't that good and the decent ones are found relatively late in-game. Also, I don't really feel like Bug types fit in well with the rest of my team... usually whatever strengths they have are already handled by another team member.

Years
    I don't really use bug types that much because they're aren't that many good ones out there to be honest. If I do use a bug type, it's only for the first couple of gym and then I replace it with something else.

-Grayscale-

яιѕєη ƒяσм тнє ๔єα๔...
    Years
    I used to use my Butterfree a lot in Leafgreen. It was great, but after I was getting to about the 6th gym, it started getting very weak and its attacks were pretty weak compared to my other pokemon who had once been worse than it. :/ The only Bug types I favor are Scizor and Yanmega.

Sydian

fake your death.
    Years
    Escavalier is a bro. But Bugs are in more than just advanced gen games so I'm moving this to PGC!

Years
    I use butterfree quite a bit, normally because I never really swap my team from the first lot I catch (I'm so lazy, don' even go to the PC in a normal playthrough).
    Also, depending on how and why you are playing the game could have an effect on what you use.
    Obviously if you're doing one of them monotype challenges, then there's only a 1/17 chance you're gonna use Bug types.
    However, for a Nuzlocke, Butterfree is very helpful as it can put wild pokemon to sleep early on, so they are easier to catch and you don't miss one, but also because caterpie is one of the first pokemon you catch, and for a Nuzlocke, you will have grinded it before you even get to Pewter (at least, I would have), therefore, it will be stronger than most wild Pokemon you come across.
    Apart from that, it just comes down to people's preferences.

PlatinumDude

Nyeh?
    Years
    People don't use Bug Pokemon often because of average stats/mediocre move pool later on in the game. But a few, like Armaldo and Scolipede, have good enough stats and move pools to last the entire game (and I personally used both Pokemon in my Sapphire and Black playthroughs respectively).

GodcalledBOB

Dragon Tamer
    Years
    I use butterfree quite a bit, normally because I never really swap my team from the first lot I catch (I'm so lazy, don' even go to the PC in a normal playthrough).
    Also, depending on how and why you are playing the game could have an effect on what you use.
    Obviously if you're doing one of them monotype challenges, then there's only a 1/17 chance you're gonna use Bug types.
    However, for a Nuzlocke, Butterfree is very helpful as it can put wild pokemon to sleep early on, so they are easier to catch and you don't miss one, but also because caterpie is one of the first pokemon you catch, and for a Nuzlocke, you will have grinded it before you even get to Pewter (at least, I would have), therefore, it will be stronger than most wild Pokemon you come across.
    Apart from that, it just comes down to people's preferences.
    Sorry this may seem like a bit of a noobish question but, what is nuzlocke?:P

and i've never really used bug pokemon myself with the exception of Heracross in HG/SS

arbok

cobra pokemon
    Years
    • Seen Mar 10, 2013
    Butterfree was my bro.
    But very few bugs actually have the power to go toe to toe with the enemy when it gets to the halfway mark in the game. Scolipede is decent but nothing too special. It's tricky to own a really good bug type as they can be hard to obtain.

Dawn

[span="font-size:180%;font-weight:900;color:#a568f
    Years
    ...Dude, like... really? I mean, Volcarona is only the most overused sweeper in 5th Gen.

C Payne

Hoenn in 3D!
    Years
    • Va
    • Seen Aug 23, 2014
    I'm not sure about everyone else, but I almost always try to at least have a Scizor, Shuckle, or Vespiquen on my team.

Years
    • Seen Sep 18, 2020
    I think bug use has actually increased since the fifth generation's introductions.
    Many fully-evolved bugs are part-Flying which cripples them defensively, while many that aren't have low base stat totals. The Bug type is a good catch-all counter to Fighting, Dark and Psychic, but few are very enduring at that task.

Back