• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Why don't more people use Yanmega?

Years
    • Seen Oct 10, 2014
    Well hello again, I haven't been here for a while and the last time I was it was because I wanted to plug something. Well, I'm back (and I'm because I want to plug something).

Anyway, I have this blag and I talk a lot about Pokémon. I noticed that Yanmega is actually really good (Tinted Lens, man!) and I was wondering why I haven't seen him on more teams. On the blog I mostly do ASCII art, so I made one of Yanmega. Tell me what you think!

HTML:
                 _                                  
             _  / \   .----------.      .----------.
            / \|   \  \           \// //          / 
           |   \-_ _\  '---------'//_//'---------'  
           \-_ _\ `  \           / O /    _--``\    
            \ `  \    \        _/ O /   -` /    \   
             \    \    \  /\  /  O /  ,`   \    /   
              \    | /\_\/  \/ O  / -`  __---```/   
               \/\_-/  \/    \O   -`---`    |  /    
               /  \/    \     _.-``____----````     
             _/__  \      ___---```                 
           .'/   `.   /\ /\  .`-_                   
       _--/|      |\  \/ \/-\  \_\_                 
      / _|\ \____/ /|  .-` \_\_  \_\_               
     / / _\\/ /\ \//.-`-_ \_ \_\_  \ \              
    / / /  `./__\.'      \_\_  \ \ /_/              
    \ \_\    |  |          \ \ /_///                
     \\ \\                 /_///                    
                          //
    Doesn't look right? Try an image

Apparently this forum doesn't allow me to do the HTML I'd like to, so for the full effect I would reccomend checking out my blog (I'm not biased, I promise):
    https://www.asciiartandhaiku.com/2014/06/yanmega-underrated-pokemon-ascii-art.html

Thanks for reading!

EDIT: In light of comments by a certain PlatinumDude I have come to ammend my opinion that Yanmega is a very good pokemon. He is correct, I was wrong. Yanmega is not that good.

Last edited:

srinator

Idk how this is related to competitive battling but yanmega has a 4x weakness to stone, bad typing and is frail. Most priority attacks completely rek it and if you do use tinted lense u get outsped by mons like zapdos, thundurus etc. it's attacks don't do a lot of damage either.

Years
    While I know Yanmega looks awesome, there are many flaws that keep it from being used effectively as mentioned above such as the nasty 4x Rock weakness (and we all know how prevalent Stealth Rock is), susceptibility to most priority moves and also it risks getting outsped and destroyed if it doesn't run Speed Boost as its ability. Pretty much most of the common Yanmega sets I've seen always have Speed Boost as the ability to use so yeah it's pretty dependent on it.

Also, while it has good Sp. Attack, there's a huge amount of things that 4x resist its Bug moves meaning it'll have its attacks doing quite minimal damage. The main reason it never cuts it in standard play is because the negatives outweigh the positives.

Last edited:
    Years
    • Seen Oct 10, 2014
    Idk how this is related to competitive battling but yanmega has a 4x weakness to stone, bad typing and is frail. Most priority attacks completely rek it and if you do use tinted lense u get outsped by mons like zapdos, thundurus etc. it's attacks don't do a lot of damage either.

4x weakness to stone: Tinted lens makes this an acceptable 2x weakness

Bad typing: Really not that bad, weak to 2 things (if you count tinted lens) EDIT: I WAS COMPLETELY WRONG and super effective against 5

Frail: Ok, yes, but you can't have everything, it's not meant to be a wall.

Priority attacks wreck it: Okay, this too.

Can be outsped by legendaries: Well I can't argue with that, but unless they can one-shot you use U-Turn. That only works up to a point, though. And those two you mentioned only outspeed it by a couple of points, which obviously doesn't matter if they both have speed boosting natures and are EV trained for it but that isn't always a given.

Weak attacks: Not really, for example Bug Buzz has 90 power and gets STAB. Air slash get STAB again, it isn't as powerful but it has a 30% chance of causing a flinch. Hypnosis could win you a game. Yanmega's Special Attack isn't that bad either.

Lastly, Hikamaru, you make some really good points that I can't argue against in good faith, namely that it gets outsped a lot without speed boost. But even so it still has pretty good speed, between 90 and 161 at level 50, so while it's a problem, it isn't enough of a problem to

EDIT: My weaknesses thing was totally wrong, yes, Yanmega isn't competitive, don't use him.

Last edited:

PlatinumDude

Nyeh?
    Years

Bad typing: Really not that bad, weak to 2 things (if you count tinted lens) and super effective against 5

Priority attacks wreck it: Not really

1. You misunderstand. Bug/Flying is a terrible typing (though Mega Pinsir gets away with it because it's stronger and faster). As a result, Yanmega and others like it are weak to Fire, Electric, Ice, Flying and Rock. Those are all common attacking types. The Rock weakness is what wrecks Yanmega, up to the point that half its health gets stripped away by switching into Stealth Rock.

2. Priority moves from Talonflame and Mega Pinsir are all what nail Yanmega, no matter how many Speed Boosts it has (if it has the ability):

252+ Atk Choice Band Talonflame Brave Bird vs. 4 HP / 0 Def Yanmega: 534-630 (170 - 200.6%) -- guaranteed OHKO (OHKOs even without Choice Band)

252 Atk Aerilate Mega Pinsir Quick Attack vs. 4 HP / 0 Def Yanmega: 218-260 (69.4 - 82.8%) -- guaranteed 2HKO (can also be achieved by weakening Yanmega sufficiently)

Years
    Lackluster defensive typing, SR weak, zero survivability, walled by very common OU mons, mediocre speed without Speed Boost, extremely weak to common priority.

It probably has a niche somewhere in the lower tiers. What tier even is it now? RU?

Years
    • Seen Oct 10, 2014
    1. You misunderstand. Bug/Flying is a terrible typing (though Mega Pinsir gets away with it because it's stronger and faster). As a result, Yanmega and others like it are weak to Fire, Electric, Ice, Flying and Rock. Those are all common attacking types. The Rock weakness is what wrecks Yanmega, up to the point that half its health gets stripped away by switching into Stealth Rock.

2. Priority moves from Talonflame and Mega Pinsir are all what nail Yanmega, no matter how many Speed Boosts it has (if it has the ability):

252+ Atk Choice Band Talonflame Brave Bird vs. 4 HP / 0 Def Yanmega: 534-630 (170 - 200.6%) -- guaranteed OHKO (OHKOs even without Choice Band)

252 Atk Aerilate Mega Pinsir Quick Attack vs. 4 HP / 0 Def Yanmega: 218-260 (69.4 - 82.8%) -- guaranteed 2HKO (can also be achieved by weakening Yanmega sufficiently)

Wow.

I have edited my post accordingly.

srinator

Bad typing: Really not that bad, weak to 2 things (if you count tinted lens) and super effective against 5

Priority attacks wreck it: Okay, this too.

Can be outsped by legendaries: Well I can't argue with that, but unless they can one-shot you use U-Turn. That only works up to a point, though. And those two you mentioned only outspeed it by a couple of points, which obviously doesn't matter if they both have speed boosting natures and are EV trained for it but that isn't always a given.

Weak attacks: Not really, for example Bug Buzz has 90 power and gets STAB. Air slash get STAB again, it isn't as powerful but it has a 30% chance of causing a flinch. Hypnosis could win you a game. Yanmega's Special Attack isn't that bad either.

Lastly, Hikamaru, you make some really good points that I can't argue against in good faith, namely that it gets outsped a lot without speed boost. But even so it still has pretty good speed, between 90 and 161 at level 50, so while it's a problem, it isn't enough of a problem to

Weak to 2 types wut lol. Electric,fire,flying,ice,rock now I guess that's 5. Anyway those four types are very crucial and common in ou. No matter what speed you have mega pinsir and talonflame rek u hard. And that basically dominates the tier. Tinted lense does not remove weaknesses, it barely doubles the damage done on Pokemon against whom the selected attack is not supper effective. Now if you do chose tinted lense it's going to be outsped by almost everything. And being legendary doesn't matter, being ou does.
    By weak attacks I mean attacks that don't do much to common mons in the meta.

And yes it's Ru

Years
    • Seen Oct 10, 2014
    Weak to 2 types wut lol. Electric,fire,flying,ice,rock now I guess that's 5. Anyway those four types are very crucial and common in ou. No matter what speed you have mega pinsir and talonflame rek u hard. And that basically dominates the tier. Tinted lense does not remove weaknesses, it barely doubles the damage done on Pokemon against whom the selected attack is not supper effective. Now if you do chose tinted lense it's going to be outsped by almost everything. And being legendary doesn't matter, being ou does.
    By weak attacks I mean attacks that don't do much to common mons in the meta.

And yes it's Ru

Weak to 2 types wut lol: yep I was totally wrong, realized that after I posted it, edited.

Jeez man, like I said, I have come to agree with you, Yanmega isn't competitive.

Last edited:
    Back