• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Why Generation 5 Isn't As Bad As People Think! (Thoughts on generations)

Whitney's Shaymin

Creator Of Pokemon Grace
Years
  • So I have watched this video 5-6 times and I think it needs to be posted here. I don't take credit for this video (just a FWI)

I think everything stated in this video is about true. Especially about Trubbish. What gen do you think was the worst? What gen do you think was the best? What's the worst Pokemon, in your opinion. Please don't turn this into a flame-war or I will have a mod close it!

Last edited by a moderator:
    Years
  • It keeps saying error occurred so I can't watch the video, sorry.

And what made you think people thought gen V was bad?

Wobbu

bunger bunger bunger bunger
    Years
  • csqIgk4sV9o (Inspect element is your other best friend)

I don't think a whole lot of people complained, just a vocal minority :(
    I surprisingly find Gen. 1 to be my least favorite, but I still very much enjoy playing games from that Gen. The cards weren't as strategic and pretty as they are now, however. The anime also had its flaws, but still entertaining to watch.

My favorite is definitely Gen. 5. The spin-off games were the greatest of any Gen. and I really like all of the new additions to the TCG that were made over the past two years, especially the Dragon-type. The anime is really good, especially the current series (although it does have some flaws).

Years
  • ^Thanks, though I wasn't really interested enough in this to actually bother to look at the code.

Now, on the video, yeah, I'm probably nitpicking here, but 99% of everybody's reasoning? Where did he get 99% from? Also I don't know where the "amount of hate" that BW and BW2, did his friends say he hated it? Did he read stuff online? Last time I checked, BW and BW2 got some decent to very good reviews.

Reception for BW (Shamelessly taken from Wikipedia)
    Aggregate scores
    Aggregator Score
    GameRankings 87.24%[82]
    (Based on 41 reviews)
    Metacritic 87%[83]
    (Based on 63 reviews)
    Review scores
    Publication Score
    Edge 8/10[84]
    Famitsu 40/40[85]
    Game Informer 8.75/10[86]
    GameSpot 7.5/10[87]
    GamesRadar 9/10[88]
    IGN 9/10[89]
    Nintendo Power 9/10[90]
    Official Nintendo Magazine 95%[91]
    VideoGamer.com 9/10[92]

Some Receptions for BW2: From couple of sources, Famitsu gave it 36/40, IGN gave it 9.6, Metacritic gave it 80 which isn't bad.

The rest of his points aren't bad, actually, though anybody that has some knowledge of Pokemon would've known about it already so it's nothing new.

Years
    • Seen Oct 2, 2020
    I'm not sure how many people really hate the fifth gen, though there is certainly an extremely vocal minority of blithering haters. Especially on /vp/ (but then /vp/ hates pretty much everything). And yeah - it's not as bad as those haters screech that it is, but that's pretty much the case with anything that people like that hate.

Personally, I think that every single generation has been an improvement, so the first gen is far and away the worst. It certainly gets credit for starting the whole thing off, but it's primitive, glitchy and unbalanced, and the games have only gotten better since. And the fifth gen is the best yet.

CoffeeDrink

GET WHILE THE GETTIN'S GOOD
    Years
  • Yeah. gen. three was the worst, I never finished it, koff~

Gen. three had some pretty dumb ideas for pokemon. I could never actually evolve milotic, and didn't care about wasting time going to shows to get Feebas' beauty up enough. There are several types in gen. three that I just hated. There are a few good ones out there. Breloom, Sharpedo and Cacturne, but there are some that just can't be of great use. . .

Gen. four was better, though not by much. The amount of legendaries was overwhelming, koffi~

Last edited:
    Years
    • Seen Jan 25, 2014
    In all honesty, there was only one real reason used in this video saying Gen V doesn't suck, and that's Trubbish, which is fair enough. Then he proceeded to go on a Gen III hating rampage and basically destroyed the entire point of his argument. Chances are that if Muk was Gen 5, people would dislike it, but originality is what sets the standards, so of course people are going to like it, because it is the benchmark. There is no "best generation". Some generations are better than others but for me the worst generation was Gen II because a lot of the Pokemon, such as Dunsparce and Snubull, were easily forgettable and looked awful, especially in their strangely shaded artwork. But that doesn't mean that Gen II sucks, or is even the worst. However I must say that some of the Gen VI Pokemon are looking a bit shabby. I really hate Noivern and the "Perfume Pokemon" and "Cotton-Candy Pokemon" look pretty plain and boring to me, however this is an opinion, because others may like it. All this guy did was talk about how he thought Gen III sucked because he didn't like particular Pokemon, which he is allowed to do but in a different video. I really don't like Trubbish, though.

Rant over.

CoffeeDrink

Years
  • . . . Some generations are better than others but for me the worst generation was Gen II because a lot of the Pokemon, such as Dunsparce and Snubull, were easily forgettable and looked awful, especially in their strangely shaded artwork. . .

You're forgetting Corosola, koff~

I think out of all the Pokemon introduced in Generation II, which is one of my favorites for a number of reasons, Corosola seems to be seen the least (in my opinion). I've seen several others from Gen. II reappear in other games, Dunsparce and Snubbull among them, but it seemed like this [Corosola] Pokemon appeared less than others. The reason why I love the Second Generation so much is because of what it gave us. It gave us Dark and Steel types, the ability for Pokemon to hold items, berries, different types of Pokeballs, contests, times of the day, days of the week, and so much more! The only downside is that the internal batteries of Pokemon Versions Gold and Silver prevented you from saving and eventually died, koffi~

Years
    • Seen Dec 16, 2022
    One of those threads I see.

Because I'm really sick of all this anti Genwunner (**** that word. **** that word with a rusty iron.) trash, I'm only going to say this.

I don't like generation 5. I don't like it at all. The storyline was pretentious and hollow, most of the pokémon introduced were poorly designed and the art style was horrible. Yet I like all the other generations, and I could be labelled as a genwunner to some.

Like the word 'hater', genwunner is a word only used by people who can't stand other people disliking something for rational reasons, and that they think that someone having a difference in personal taste is obscene.

Last edited:
    Years
    • Seen May 28, 2019
    So I haven't watched the video yet but can people summarize what he said?

I'm not giving this guy a single view if he complained about Gen 3 stupidly, used the term "genwunner" and only defended gen 5's Pokemon designs when its problems lie elsewhere. At least according to the comments.

Gen 5 did right with the battle system, but everything else about the game (no not including Pokemon designs, that's subjective) was very bad. Fortunately GF is making up for it with Gen VI.

CoffeeDrink

Years
  • So I haven't watched the video yet but can people summarize what he said?

I'm not giving this guy a single view if he complained about Gen 3 stupidly, used the term "genwunner" and only defended gen 5's Pokemon designs when its problems lie elsewhere. At least according to the comments.

Gen 5 did right with the battle system, but everything else about the game (no not including Pokemon designs, that's subjective) was very bad. Fortunately GF is making up for it with Gen VI.

I think it would be best to just watch the video, koff~

Some of his points are held firmly in place in my opinion. Generation 3 wasn't taking heat just because. You know you can stop watching videos if you don't like them right? I would always suggest to finish videos and then comment on them, otherwise you may get blindsided, koffi

Years
    • Seen May 28, 2019
    I figured as much. I wasted my time hearing a guy complaining/defending Pokemon designs and nothing more.

The video doesn't redeem gen 5 at all. That gen had way more problems than the Pokemon's designs. (I feel it's a gen with some fantastic designs but every other one was terrible) Why didn't he try to make an argument that the region, regardless of being linear, was actually good? Why didn't he say something about the roster and the balance? Why didn't he talk about the difficulty curve? How about the technical aspects? The pacing? The area designs?

Because these are what's Gen 5's problems. Problems that gen 3 didn't have, hilariously enough.

EDIT: Turned out the video wasn't meant to be serious. Explains it.

CoffeeDrink

Years
  • I suppose everyone is entitled to their opinion, koff~

If we were to go back and forth, I'd just say let the numbers speak for themselves. Generation III didn't do so hot in comparison to Generations I & II, koffi~

Kieran

the Blueberry Champion
    Years
  • I just don't like Generation 5 for some odd reasons, I guess the most important is how I have to do so much just to transfer my Pokemon over (Hello, I traded a lot in Gen 4 and the amount of Pokemon I needed to transfer was huge in quantities!).

It got too confusing and I hate confusing games.

It is a bit boring to me in my opinion, can't see myself enjoying weirdly.

Years
    • Seen May 28, 2019
    Well if we're talking about numbers no gen did hot compared to gen I and II. But then again, why are we using sales to compare gens?

Years
  • Yay I am not the only one who loves gen 5! I love most of the pokemon - Klink family is the only one I don't like but I won't go around saying that gen 5 is bad just because it ... And I saw a lot of people bashing gen 6 just because of that sword pokemon >_< I just don't like the fact that so many people are like gen 1 is the best because it's not! You have magnet that evolves into three magnets, pokeball that evolves into same thing only turned around, pile of sludge that evolves into bigger pile of sludge.. I love each and every gen because they all have good pokemon and bad pokemon - But I just won't use it if I don't like it- I won't bash the entire gen because of it. That's just dumb :/ And I also hate the way people hate on everything game freak does. I mean people wanted them to add some new evolutions in gen 6- they did mega evolutions and everybody hates it because it's digimon-like - But we wanted new evolutions and gamefreak listened to us! And I still hate the way some people dislike gen 6 just because it's not remake for Sinnoh or Hoenn - I think that there were already enough games from past games.. you even have hacks made based on past games so I think that we should move on and accept whatever game freak makes and play it because it's fun and enjoy it - and not compare it to first gen.

Xerneas_X

Raven
    Years
  • Original 3 Generations was enough, when they began makign pokemon looking liek realworld objects liek paper clips, etc.. then it became ridiculous. but glad they strayed away from that and began doing creative creature designs once again.

Andrew Shard

Shards of Fury
    Years
  • Please... We're not talking ONLY about the games... The games were GREAT! (exept the pixels in the battles but I can live with that...).
    What I really don't like is the anime... it is so BORING... I watched some episodes but I didn't even liked them... The battles have too many animations like pikachu's electroball and iron tail... desnecessary in my opinion...
    The pokemon designs were mostly horrible... I didn't like a single legendary but Kyurem (I'm serious)...
    Of course not all are bad... I really liked serperior, stoutland, haxorus, braviary, gigalith, liepard, klingklang and some more three or four...
    I think the anime as lost it's enterntaining character...

I'm not a hater... at least not much...

Back