• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Issue: Why have blogs?

Should blogs be removed?

• Yes, I think blogs should be removed.

Votes: 6 20.7%
  • No, I don't think blogs should be removed.

Votes: 23 79.3%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
Years
    • PA
    • Seen Aug 14, 2009
    Why do we have blogs? There is no difference between blogs and forums not including that only people with 5000 posts and supporters can post them and they are located on a different page. I think this is one of the main reasons for non-quality posts because not everybody's parents will let them donate so they will spam up to 5000 posts just so they can get a blog. Also, half of the blogs that are there nobody posts on so they just make the site slower and clog trafic on the server. I think we should get rid of them.

Years
    • Seen May 11, 2016
    Blogs are there because there are people who enjoy blogs.

Really, just because you can't get to 5000 posts and because you can't donate to get a blog, doesn't mean you have to complain to try and get them removed. It's a privilege to have blogs & a 'reward', I suppose you could say, for being dedicated.

So, no, they shouldn't be removed just because you're jealous that you don't have one.​

Melody

Banned
    Years
  • Hehehe. Why? Because you don't have one?

Seriously, a person would be banned before they could amass 5k spam posts. As for low quality posts, what do you expect? This forum is full of pre-teens and up.

Years
  • I think this is one of the main reasons for non-quality posts because not everybody's parents will let them donate so they will spam up to 5000 posts just so they can get a blog.
    What?
    Am I the only one who didn't understand that?

Also, boohoo. They really don't effect the servers speed at all.
    Who cares if some people hardly post much in them?
    They either payed for it or earned it.

Simple.
    They are going no where, no matter how much you throw your toys out of the pram.

:::EDIT:::
    DOH! Just voted "Yes" XD
    I was not paying attention.
    *Facepalm*

Years
  • The blogs are there as an incentive - either for donating or, if you can't donate/can't find someone to donate for you, for sticking around and actually being an active member.

Also, there were tons of "non-quality" posts way before blogs were even implemented, so blogs have nothing to do with those.

As for the "why" of having them, aside from them being incentives - they're just for fun, really. An extra little perk given to those who happen to meet the criteria needed, that's all.

Years
    • PA
    • Seen Aug 14, 2009
    As for the "why" of having them, aside from them being incentives - they're just for fun, really. An extra little perk given to those who happen to meet the criteria needed, that's all.

Why can't they just be posted in the other chat forum then?

Also, have any of you noticed that most of the people here are eligible to have a blog?

.inLOVE

el su bosillo <3
    Years
  • Blogs are for people who want to generally talk about their lives, and almost anywhere else, that's spam. Sometimes they just want comments on an MSN convo, or on a project they've been doing. Why should we remove that?

Years
    • Seen Sep 8, 2016
    Like everyone else said, Blogs were implemented for people's entertainment, as well as a reward for donating to the community, or reaching the milestone of 5,000 posts. They hardly effect the server's speed at all, so I can see no reason why they should be removed at all. Also, if they were posted in Other Chat, then that would be pretty much filling the whole forum up with people's blogs. You make this seem like you only made this topic because your jealous of not having a blog. Some people also enjoy reading blogs, so it's basically a win-win situation here. If someone tried to make 5,000 spam posts, they would be stopped by staff before 10 spam posts.

Last edited:

GKS

Retired Hacker
    Years
    • Seen Dec 23, 2013
    I don't have a blog, but I think they are great, why should we even remove them. If people post spam to get 5,000 posts, they will be infracted by the staff members. Blogs actually might persuade members to be supporters.

Years
    • Seen Dec 8, 2023
    Why can't they just be posted in the other chat forum then?

Also, have any of you noticed that most of the people here are eligible to have a blog?
    You're burning, lol.

And because forum != blog. Gosh, how is that so hard to understand? There's nothing wrong with expanding the functionality of this website and the features available to users, especially if it adds something positive to the experience. People like blogging, even if it's only because it makes them feel somewhat important for a small amount of time. Try it out one day.

No I didn't notice at all. The only person who seems to care about blogs is you :P
    I like reading the blogs. They're not just there for the people who have them to enjoy. Lots of nice/funny/cool reads are in there.
    Mostly by me, right?

Years
  • Why can't they just be posted in the other chat forum then?

Whole point of them: donation/post incentive. Take them away and require things to be posted in OC (which anybody can do), and that incentive is lost.

Plus, since the blogs are for "fun", they're pretty much for posting whatever people want to post (as long as they're within PC rules, of course); most topics I see in blogs would just be closed in OC, thus nullifying any fun the blogs might have brought.

GKS

Retired Hacker
    Years
    • Seen Dec 23, 2013
    Why does people want everything they don't like taken down? Blogs, rep system, etc.

Yes I had to bring the rep system up in this conversation.

Guy

just a guy
    Years
  • Okay, to go along with the basic play of having blogs as an incentive, if you really think about it, besides the rep system, emblems, etc. blogs are just another benefit for supporters and active members here at the Community. I mean, rarely members get much reward at times and having your own space, your own blog can feel rewarding if you follow the criteria of obtaining one. So, it isn't a useless feature to the forums and neither is it taking up speed or space from the server. Therefore, I see it as being a no problem what so ever.

Blogs are a place for members to basically speak their mind, while on posts they cannot always do that. Blogs are for fun, and even for those who cannot make them, quite a few of them enjoy reading and responding to them. So, even those who cannot have a blog of their own for the time being still enjoy them. To tell you the truth, I've never heard a complaint about it until now, and like said above it may only be because of a slight jealousy perhaps? Whichever way, I don't see a need for it to be removed as it is fun for members and a place where they can express themselves and most importantly be who they are.

Spinor

<i><font color="b1373f">The Lonely Physicist</font
    Years
    • Seen Feb 13, 2019
    NO. Keep the blogs!

I'm more than halfway there!...Must...get...blogs....

(3 more years...)

Percy Thrillington

The Mad Hatter
    Years
    • Seen Jan 1, 2023
    Why do we have blogs? There is no difference between blogs and forums not including that only people with 5000 posts and supporters can post them and they are located on a different page. I think this is one of the main reasons for non-quality posts because not everybody's parents will let them donate so they will spam up to 5000 posts just so they can get a blog. Also, half of the blogs that are there nobody posts on so they just make the site slower and clog trafic on the server. I think we should get rid of them.

Let's not play any games here. You don't care about the site being slower (because in truth removing blogs wouldn't make much of a difference to how fast the forum loads), you're just jealous because you don't have a blog. That's understandable. I was pretty ticked off when they were first introduced too, seeing as I reasoned it'd be another two and a half years of posting before I acquired one, but a couple of days passed and I sorta began to not mind about it, because some blog entries were quite interesting to read and comment on.

Sure, it mightn't seem fair that not everyone can have them, but at the same time, the people who can have earned them, and I don't think anyone has the right to argue with that.

Edit: Also, I laughed at the thread title. It's hardly a problem if it doesn't exactly affect you in the first place.

Years
    • Seen Apr 3, 2016
    Blogs are basically sharing personal stories for everyone to hear. If they were all posted in the OC, then it would explode due to spam. Some people enjoy sharing their stories, and some others enjoy reading and commenting on them. I really don't see much of a benefit by taking them down. I personally don't care much for them (even when I had the chance to use them) but if it's bothering you that you don't have one, you'll probaby get over it sooner or later.

(And the site loads pretty quickly for me. I haven't noticed a significant decrease in loading time since blogs came.)

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Back