• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Why is Debug always on?

Bowlstir

Media Arts and Game Development
Years
  • So I've been implementing a lot of scripts, and while I test every one after I apply it, it was a couple days after to when I went back and tested the actual game.

So the problem is my game (and all it's back ups) assume that the DEBUG control is pushed.

I can't really trace back my steps so is there a general area or something I did wrong here that someone else has run into?

It's preventing me from doing any wild battle encounters, trainers, etc.

But the weird thing is that I can't walk through walls.

It's doing it on my clean set of essentials too, so i have no clue what to do from here.

Thanks,

Bowlstir

Black Eternity

Lord of Eternity
    Years
    • Seen Jun 30, 2016
    I'm playtesting it through RPGMXP

By default, Essentials is setup to have debug always on through RMXP, try running the game with the
    standalone game.exe, if this does not fix your issue, then you have edited your settings.

Bowlstir

Media Arts and Game Development
    Years
  • It works through the stand alone game.exe.

Ugh, now I'm going to have to test everything through the stand alone.

EDIT:

And *poof*

My game is back to normal. What. the. heck.

Last edited:

Black Eternity

Lord of Eternity
    Years
    • Seen Jun 30, 2016
    Enabling Debug mode Edit
    A game run from RPG Maker XP (rather than run by itself) is automatically in Debug mode. The Debug mode can be toggled on and off by setting the variable $DEBUG to TRUE or FALSE respectively.

Taken from the essentials wiki

Black Eternity

Lord of Eternity
    Years
    • Seen Jun 30, 2016
    Out of curiosity, where is the variable $DEBUG that you are talking about?

Well I thought it was in the "Settings" section, but after reviewing previous releases back to v11
    it is not...

So that being said, Go to Settings and where ever you please,
    add $DEBUG=false.

And just like that... you can simply come back and change it to true when you need to.

Maruno

Lead Dev of Pokémon Essentials
    Years
    • Seen May 3, 2024
    $DEBUG is not a setting. It's Debug mode. Just leave it alone.

If you want to turn OFF Debug mode while you're playing from within RMXP, then make an event that you can talk to which turns it off. You may want to turn it back on without restarting the game, so make sure you have the ability to do that too.

What is Debug mode affecting, anyway? Pretty much everything you can do in Debug mode requires you to hold Ctrl, so just keep your finger away from that key and you're set.

If you've been adding a load of scripts and then suddenly your game doesn't work properly, the first solution is NOT to turn off Debug mode.

Back