• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Why is my internet connection so freaking slow?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Glitch.

maybe making a comeback
    Years
    i went on speedtest.net today and y result was hideous. my connection is so slow that it would take over 9 hours to download a movie! look for yourself.
    Why is my internet connection so freaking slow?
    see, BAD!
    is there any way to get faster internet.
    BTW: i am on satellite internet.

Years
    Let me assure you that mobile broadband in peak hour is far worse. Basically, if you don't have a wired connection (to your house, not computer), you're going to pay for it with a speed and reliability drop.

Glitch.

maybe making a comeback
    Years
    well i live about 7 kilometers away from the nearest town so thats why we use satellite. we used to have a tower on our roof but the connection would drop for weeks at a time.

Misaka Shiori

Irresistibly Cute
    Years
    There is not much I can say since Satellite Internet is known to be very slow and expensive because the data has to transmit from the dish to the Satellite from space. If I were you, I would look into Mobile Broadband like 3G if you are unable to get cable, fiber or DSL.

Let me assure you that mobile broadband in peak hour is far worse. Basically, if you don't have a wired connection (to your house, not computer), you're going to pay for it with a speed and reliability drop.

Not all Mobile Broadband connections are unreliable. I have AT&T on my iPhone and I use it pretty much anywhere since I live in a area with 3G in coverage and I get speeds comparable to DSL (1 mbps in the suburbs and 3 mbps in NYC). Then again, reliability and connection speeds are dependant on the coverage area of the Cell phone carrier.

Also note that Mobile broadband like 3G have 5 GB caps and they are not unlimited.

Zet

Years
    Well my suggestion is stupid, but you can always buy a lot of ethernet cords and those connector extender thingies for them and just keep on adding them until you reach the town and some else lets you borrow their connection.

Years
    Well my suggestion is stupid, but you can always buy a lot of ethernet cords and those connector extender thingies for them and just keep on adding them until you reach the town and some else lets you borrow their connection.
    The signal would die off before you get more than a few hundred metres.

And Misaka, Mobile networks take a hit when the traffic is too high, so during peak hour, you are going to suffer a drop in performance moreso than if you had ADSL or its variants. Keep in mind the OP is not in the centre of New York. They are 7km from their nearest town, which is far less likely to have perfect reception. I don't know what the Mobile networks are like in Canada, but the theoretical limit for most networks here is 3Mb/s, yet I've never actually seen it go over 1.3 and it usually sits at around 0.25, which shows you just how flaky it can be.

Misaka Shiori

Irresistibly Cute
    Years
    And Misaka, Mobile networks take a hit when the traffic is too high, so during peak hour, you are going to suffer a drop in performance moreso than if you had ADSL or its variants. Keep in mind the OP is not in the centre of New York. They are 7km from their nearest town, which is far less likely to have perfect reception. I don't know what the Mobile networks are like in Canada, but the theoretical limit for most networks here is 3Mb/s, yet I've never actually seen it go over 1.3 and it usually sits at around 0.25, which shows you just how flaky it can be.

True, since 3G is pretty much like a shared connection like with cable internet, except it's more constrained. This is why pages load faster sometimes and sometimes slower and not ideal for realtime stuff like IRC and gaming since the ping time is very high (in the 300 ms and sometimes higher), so I wouldn't trust it so much except basic stuff like web browsing and email.

However, 4G is supposed to give higher speeds to allow more bandwidth intensive stuff. Connections like WiMAX and Lte around 100 mbps downstream bandwidth, but I'm not sure about how reliable it is since the only service that currently have 4G mobile broadband in the US is Sprint and it's not available in NYC, so I just don't know how well it works at the moment, but I'm sure it will be deployed in the coming years since DTV transition is done and the wireless spectrum is pretty much open.

Chaos Uxie

Spreading Chaos....
    Years
    Hmmm 0.14 mbs Well i would say its still fast since my connection is 0.5 mbs which is 22kbps and guess wat am using mobile wireless broadband So all wireless connections are slow even though they say that its as fast as cable LOL

Years
    Hmmm 0.14 mbs Well i would say its still fast since my connection is 0.5 mbs which is 22kbps and guess wat am using mobile wireless broadband So all wireless connections are slow even though they say that its as fast as cable LOL

0.5 Mbps is equal to 512 Kbps. :\ 22 Kbps is slower than dial-up is (theoretical max of 56Kbps).

https://www.broadband.gov/
    Let the government know you're being ripped off; there's a broadband bill going before Congress soon, and they want to know this sort of thing.

The OP's Canadian... and this law wouldn't apply to them. :\

Glitch.

maybe making a comeback
    Years
    I went on speed test since my dad upgraded the connection and look at the new results
    Why is my internet connection so freaking slow?<---- Tech glitch.

Real Speed

Why is my internet connection so freaking slow?<-- off peak

Last edited:
    Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Back