• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Why Japan?

Demigod

umop ap!sdn
Years
  • For the peoples outside of Asia it must be appealing because it's a distinct culture while maintaining a highly advanced society technologically that appeals to people who likes to explore cultures and places that are "out of this world". Also With cars, video games and TV shows, a lot of popular culture comes from there. In addition, much of the technology we use today originated in Japan.

Kea

Years
    • Seen Jun 24, 2011
    I'm sure most people are interested in Japan because of the media that comes from there. Anime, manga, video games, and those weird videos from Nico Nico Video that get posted on Youtube like 39匹のガチムチ達が吹っ切れた (look it up on YouTube, can't post links yet)

Personally I'm not that interested in Japan much, although I guess I used to be. They still make some good video games and shows. Sucks when people try to copy them, though... :'I Usually "Western anime" or manga seems to focus more on how it's supposedly like anime than making an entertaining show or whatever.

I wouldn't really say anime and Japan is obscure anymore. You might be able to get away with saying Korean media is obscure, but definitely not Japan.

Azure Revolver

HONK HONK
    Years
  • Because most anime and manga come from Japan, and a lot of Japan's culture is out-of-the-ordinary, so to speak.

Osha_say_wott?!

osha osha
    Years
  • What everyone else said, at least, for my reason to liking Japan. Anime? Manga? Food? Culture? Cosplay? Video games? Tech? Strangeness? Hecks yeah. :D I'm also quite fond of Japan for another great reason. Wrestling. Wrestling in Japan = Holy grounds. imo. Especially if you are a huge fan of wrestling, as am I.^^

s0nido

turn up the engine
    Years
  • I've always liked Asia in general, since it has such a rich culture and history, but I grew closer to Japan after my introduction to anime. I first started watching anime, then anime led to manga and the opening and ending themes of anime led to Japanese music, and Japanese music led me to take an interest in learning a language, something really strange since I normally dislike learning a second language (seeing as I was forced to for a long time). Learning the language followed on to learning about the culture and history of Japan, and it was late last year when I realised that I was in love with Japan. XD I really want to go there after I finish school. I wish I could live and study there, but I don't have a college fund, since university is paid for where I live right now. Still, when I get older and establish myself, I'll probably go to Japan to live and work there, hopefully.

Why Japan? Well the culture is so rich compared to Australian culture (non-existent) and my East African background whose culture I've pretty much grown bored of. The culture of Japan is new and exotic to me, and it's a fresh change from what I've been brought up with. It's so rich that I'll never get bored of it either.

I love Japan. <3

Koi

Years
    • Seen Oct 24, 2023
    Let's just say Japan has what most people want and you can't find it in United States! ;D

Moon Light

Sky Princess
    Years
    • Seen Jul 10, 2011
    I've liked the food, history, places, media, especially the popular Cherry Blossom Tree! :D
    Japan is very colorful too, so I like it, and for the Cherry Blossom, it's pink and I liked the flowers too.

Satoshi Ookami

Memento Mori
    Years
  • Why do I Japan? That's pretty easy to answer, ANIME and MANGA =)
    Then you start being interested in language and then it continues :D
    Loving all those things really makes you interested in other aspects of Japan such as culture, history, work etc. :D
    And you feel the pain when natural disasters occur in Japan...

Alakazam17

[b]Long time no see![/b]
    Years
  • Well, I'm interested in the whole world, not just Japan. But linguistically-speaking, I originally got interested in Japanese and Russian at the same time, because I was interested in the technological aspects of both nations, specifically in relation to the space program. Furthermore, I also liked Japan because that's where Pokémon came from, which is somewhat related to the technology aspect. XD

So, I'm one of those rare folks who got interested in anime & manga as a result of being interested in Japanese culture & language, rather than the other way around which is usually the case. ^_^

Years
    • Seen Nov 5, 2017
    Anyone who doesn't enjoy what their own country's media and culture have to offer can just look across the oceans and there lies Japan. I think a lot of the time it really is as simple as the fact it has a lot of accessible media that can just be an alternative option to the Americanisation that dominates the media and culture of most other countries. I can't really think of any other countries that have managed to achieve a similar sort of success in spreading their culture globally (apart from the obvious one, USA). Although there will be a few other reasons thrown in depending on the individual.

I'm not a huge fan of Japan or anime, but I still really enjoy some anime. It's like a bridging gap between shows aimed towards adults and children. I don't really want to 'act like a grown up' constantly and watch serious television shows and films all the time, but I'm still not really entertained much by cartoons (although, not gonna lie, I was watching Ed, Edd and Eddy last night). Anime retains the charm and fantasy that you can't get with live action, but often has themes that appeal to teenagers/young adults; they're willing to include a lot of controversial subjects that the west is still a little touchy about, a lot of anime will include violence, sexuality, abuse and/or other similar themes, as well as having a plot line that makes it somewhat more sophisticated than your typical cartoon for kids. That's it's main appeal to me anyway. It's like a fantasy story that's not as serious as reading through every Lord of the Rings book, and not as simple as watching Saturday morning children's TV.

As for the actual culture of Japan, I don't know very much. I would like to learn about many cultures though, so Japan isn't an exclusive member of that list. It's probably just due to my own laziness that I don't know much about it.

Years
  • When I was younger some friends introduced me to Pokemon, after a while I had learned where exactly this wonderful form of media had come from. Eventually I had noticed most things I played/watched had originated in Japan. It was sort of an interest that grew off of other Interests.

Years
    • Seen Jul 7, 2011
    Well, for me it's anime/manga/light novels/video games. I never was particularly interested in Japan until I started really getting into manga/anime/video games(not just watching pokemon on tv or playing zelda or reading a couple chapters of Naruto). Japan consistently churns out good video games and manga making it a place people view as the place to go for media stuff, though most people would probably be just interested in game/manga and not the place it came from. My friends and I always say go to Japan if you want the latest in technology. Also a lot of people like Japanese music, Japan LOVES rock so there's like Gackt and Miyabi and stuff, also there's AKB48(not rock), they're really popular throughout asia. So basically most people gain interest in Japan through media.

As for Japanese culture, I never really liked the way the schools in Japan operate and some of the etiquette irks me, but my mom just tells me to suck it up haha. It's not an exclusive Japanese thing but I love onsen hot springs and Niigata prefecture has a really awesome hot spring if anyone is interested haha xD Oh yeah, and I like the fashion, asian fashion is always the best, except name brand clothes in Japan are really expensive.

Last edited:

Elite Overlord LeSabre™

On that 'Non stop road'
    Years
  • For me, it's anime, manga, video games and the whole culture surrounding them. What Japan offers in these areas is far suprtior to what the US has to offer - their animated TV shows and movies are better, their comics are better, etc. But more than that, Japan offers a level of cute that other countries simply don't have... and since i have a fondness for cuteness, it's only natural I gravitate toward what Japan has to offer in terms of entertainment.

leachim_paloyz15

~ セールマイケル
    Years
    • Seen Sep 20, 2016
    日本(Nihon/Nippon)=Japan
    日本語(Nihongo/Nippongo)=Japanese

Japanese:
    - The Language - "Nihongo/Nippongo"
    - The People - "Nihon-jin"

~What I really like about Japan is their culture, the places, the food, the people, and everything else in between. ^^

Corvus of the Black Night

Wild Duck Pokémon
    Years
  • I think some people like it because its different.

I personally don't hate Japan or Japanese material, but I only haunt this area of the forum; in terms of media I generally consider manga in the same league as non-newspaper comics and anime in the same league as cartoons/animation, since I've read comics and seen cartoons that really could have been produced in Japan in manga/anime form and be of the same quality.

I have a little weird peeve though. I absolutely HATE how everything and everything to people seems to be Tokyo, and Tokyo this and Tokyo that. I can understand how a lot of anime takes place there but if you say you claim interest in Japan and only have interest in Tokyo then you're just plain ignorant. And by the way, kiddies at school, HIROSHIMA STILL EXISTS, ITS A CITY WITH 1 MILLION PEOPLE. And no, you won't get radiation poisoning from living there for a year in the late 90's. Jeez people are STOOPID STOOPID STOOPID!

My opinion on Japan is that its a country with a different culture than mine. It's kinda weird living there, and some things are definitely better there than here (hello? Coffee in vending machines? I'M SO THERE.) but some things are certainly worse (hello? Got a nasty infection from a rather dirty cut and I still have the scar. Er, might want to watch myself). I still want to go back there because we have friends there and I think it'd be nice to say hi to them, but I wouldn't consider myself too interested in their culture or media. In a weird way it's kinda been haunting our family for my whole life and still reflects itself in everyday activities :0

Snivi

..•.¸¸•´¯`•.¸. ஐ
    Years
  • For me it all started with liking Pokemon then a friend showed me the Japanese version and I liked it better then 1 things led to another and now I love all kinds of asian things.

Pokemon > Anime > JPOP > Jdramas > other asian dramas & music such as Kpop and Kdramas

Graceful

あぁ、たいさ!♥
    Years
  • It started when my older sister (who's now 21 and still loves anime!) got me into watching anime at the age of 10 when she got me interested in Sailor Moon and Pokemon (even though, I used to like Pokemon, but not as much as I do now!). Then I watched the Live-Action Sailor Moon J-drama and read the whole Sailor Moon manga in English.
    I also had interest in Japanese music (again, from my sister) when she started to play songs by Utada Hikaru in her room. I just grabbed on and watched loads of her songs on YouTube, including her Japanese songs. Then I had become interested and had searched up names like Koda Kumi, misono, Rie fu, Judy and Mary, Aya Hirano, etc.
    After searching up loads of anime series, I finally started to take the Japanese culture seriously and started to look up it's past, folklore, food and language.

I hope one day, I will be able to at least, visit Japan. A dream of mind would be to live there for a while and work as an English teacher.

日本が大好き!

Years
    • Seen Jul 29, 2012
    Since a year now, I've been in love with Japan. I love the music, the language, the media, the history, the culture, the food (and the crowded trains lol).
    I just love it. The language sounds so amazing, that I even started to learn it by myself. (I'm dutch)
    The music is so much better than English music. Way better rythms etc.
    favorite band: One Ok Rock
    one of their most awesome songs: Yokubou ni michita seinendan.
    another awesome song: Diver - nico touches the walls (L)

Back