• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Why so serious?

How competitive are you?

• My Pokes' dominate because they're EV Trained!

Votes: 3 9.4%
  • I don't EV Train, but I breed to greatness!

Votes: 1 3.1%
  • I sometimes EV Train/breed for specialness.

Votes: 9 28.1%
  • No "Ubers", they're cheap!

Votes: 4 12.5%
  • I don't EV Train/breed for perfection.

Votes: 18 56.3%
  • It took 15 Ultra Balls, and 3 of my Pokemon got KO'd, I'm using my "Uber".

Votes: 2 6.3%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

PlatinumDude

Nyeh?
Years
  • Ever since I learned about EVs and IVs, I've been EV training and IV breeding (but not for perfect IVs; IVs of 20-31 are good for me). I even EV train my in-game teams. Despite all this, I only EV train/IV breed Pokemon I'm about to use in the Battle Tower/Frontier.

As for the concept, I think people are getting serious about this because they simply want to win.

Years
  • There is a reason that the best of the best are in fact so good. Its because they are willing to go to the extreme lengths, to do whatever they have to, to succeed.
    It wouldnt matter if it was pokemon or a real life sport or whatever, its in these sorts of people to do whatever necessary to be the best.

Personally, I do EV train and make sure I get a good nature for my pokemon. I will however, never breed for perfect IVs. I just won't. It's really the only part I find overly tedious and I will never be in the mood to do it.

Cold Fusion

When you laugh, you gain luck.
    Years
  • I still don't have a clue what IV's are or how to get them but I think I wouldn't be bothered to get them, EV training is enough hard work as it is. But I do EV train (rarely that is) and I think that other people that EV train are people who are willing to place hours into their game to create something stronger. People say they are serious, but I think it's the love of Pokemon rather than the person being a serious battler.

Years
    • Seen May 7, 2024
    I'm an on-and-off competitive battler....but I use shoddybattle because it's easier as you don't have to breed and EV all your team-members.

However, I love egg moves....seriously, when I could train my newly-hatched Mudkip all by itself because nothing at its' level could stand an Earthquake, I was so happy! As I was when I found out that my new Salamence wouldn't have to hit lv.86 to learn Dragon Claw, as the father'd passed it down, so it could keep at lv.50 for Battle Frontier...

And do you not think it'd be cool (if pokémon were real, or your friends are quite new to pokémon) if you could send out your super-awesome Chimchar, your opponent goes "hah, I know how to beat you now! Go Piplup/water-type!), then you hit it with a Thunderpunch?

The idea that I can make my pokémon fit the ever-repeated philosophy in the games that they're all unique, and even Swellow can be beastly because its' mother went to the daycare with a Staraptor that knew Brave Bird....that's what's so fun about that.

I do find EV training slightly tedious, but I love it when they gain +8 in a stat when they level up....and I will do it because most serious battlers value an EV'd Charizard over a random Palkia.

2nd-Thanatos

Watchmen of Sector 2.
    Years
  • Well, I'm not competitive. I play for fun with Pokes I like, and avoid to use legendaries (don't care if they are ubers or not). Sometimes I Ev train, sometimes I don't. I'd rather give them vitamins and use Braces than EV training.

Also, I check Smogon and other competitive stuff, but mostly for guiding in moves. I never knew Swampert could learn Ice Pucnh before checking Smogon, for example.

Years
  • I'm a strange one, but I actually find breeding and EV training to be a lot of fun. I don't play competitively. The last time I even battled with another human was years ago. But raising Pokemon by breeding and EV training gives me something to do after I beat the game, and then I like to use them for the battle tower/frontier and stuff like that.

I can definitely see how some people find it boring/tedious though, haha. I am an oddball.

Dragonair_Blizzard

Random person in the universe
    Years
  • Sure, I don't like to lose, but I don't do much EV training. I don't mind about the perfect natures and such, but I still give Vitamins and Braces to my Pokemon every now and then. Personally, I find EV training and breeding for special nature/moves boring, not much of a surprise seeing how I don't even have the patience to level a Pokemon to Lv 100.

dragoniteuser

The dragon master
    Years
  • I think it's due to actually allowing someone to use real strategy in Pokémon.
    If you're playing the actual game, basically any team can deal with the gyms, E4 and the Champion, BUT now you're able to beat someone using nothing more than your tactics!
    That makes you unique in a way!

Kelp

<3
    Years
  • When I got into natures and EV training, I found it quite interesting that you could have 2 of the same pokemon with totally different stats. When I started EV training it was a bit boring, grinding on Ghastly with my Alakazam; I must've killed over 1000 of them. But it was worth it to see the +5-12 Sp. ATK, rather than +1-2. To be honest, I don't even think I'm doing it right, and I'm too ignorant to look up the correct way (I'm pretty sure killing over 252 or so Ghastlys would be redundant + the fact that I was infected with pokerus).

But that's the fun part of pokemon, there's no right way to play the game. You have the liberty to train your pokemon however you want.

And don't get me started on IV's and breeding...'Cause I don't understand any of that. x)

Headfirst For Halos

[insert ellipses here]
    Years
  • Competitive battling in simulators is fun. However, in game? Too much math and effort to do it "manually" [I use vitamins]. So I don't do the actual "battling" part for EVs or check for IVs. TBH, though, I'm quite saddened to have a fabulous Scizor with a Timid nature AND Swarm instead of Technician. But I deal with it.

All in all, I guess the knowledge satisfies me instead of the actual deed...

~*!*~Tatsujin Gosuto~*!*~

Buffalo State College
    Years
  • If I'm too lazy when it comes to raising my Pokemon to level 100, what I would do is take out my action replay and give my Pokemon Rare Candies. Personally, I could careless about IV's and EV's because I play the game to have fun and raise my Pokemon to level 100

:t354:TG

Roxichu

Blastoff at the Speed of Light
    Years
  • Competitive Pokémon battling lost it's appeal to me once I moved on to competitive RTS and shooter games.

I love Pokémon and I always will, but it's a casual game. The battles really come down to rock/paper/scissors with a few dozen of the strongest non-Uber Pokémon.

Those times I have done competitive Pokémon have always been on Netbattle or it's spiritual successors.

mal'akh

Hate this place. Gone for good
    Years
    • Seen Jun 21, 2011
    I've always been serious about Pokemon, regardless of the situation. Pokemon was my very first video game ever, so of course that probably had something to do with it.
    I don't EV train a lot. I will for boredom, but other than that I catch and go. Unless the Pokemon has a really crappy nature.

Haberdasher

suffers from nostalgia
    Years
  • I don't competitively battle- I haven't battled a human for some time now. But I pay attention to EVs, IVs, and nature, casually, to make it just that much easier to beat the Elite Four or whathaveyou. I don't breed, as I consider it a waste of time, but I've recently gone into the Safari Zone and caught myself about a dozen Dratini, then released all but the two with the best IVs and natures. I don't EV train that much, but I've started to pay attention to it a little bit and adjusting my behavior accordingly (e.g. training my Kadabra in the Special-oriented Berry Forest rather than the Physical-oriented Victory Road), and I use vitamins now and then. Basically, I do what competitive battlers do, but on a much lower level for my own amusement and for ease of beating the game.

Back