• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Why the hate on Popplio?

Years
  • I am excited to see Popplio learns disarming. This will hopefully signify that Popplio will NOT become a bulky fighting type! Holding out for a feminine water starter to join Meganium and Delphox.

For reference, check out the other pokemon that learn this move; they are primarily fairy and psychic types.

Exceptions:
    Altaria and Audino mega evolve into fairy types.
    Skitty is pink, feminine, and fairy type group.
    Milotic is pink, feminine, and beautiful.
    [likely to get a psychic or fairy mega evolution]

Why the hate on Popplio?

Last edited:
    Years
  • I am excited to see Popplio learns disarming. This will hopefully signify that Popplio will NOT become a bulky fighting type! Holding out for a feminine water starter to join Meganium and Delphox.

For reference, check out the other pokemon that learn this move; they are primarily fairy and psychic types.

Exceptions:
    Altaria and Audino mega evolve into fairy types.
    Skitty is pink, feminine, and fairy type group.
    Milotic is pink, feminine, and beautiful.
    [likely to get a psychic or fairy mega evolution]

Why the hate on Popplio?

I definitely can see your theory there, because with that one fake Popplio final evo based on a mermaid (aka the one in your avatar) I think it's a design that would fit a Fairy-type since mermaids are mythical beings and a lot of mythical creatures can easily fit the type. The fact that Disarming Voice is mainly learned by Fairy-types further supports the theory of a Water/Fairy Popplio evolution.

Years
  • I definitely can see your theory there, because with that one fake Popplio final evo based on a mermaid (aka the one in your avatar) I think it's a design that would fit a Fairy-type since mermaids are mythical beings and a lot of mythical creatures can easily fit the type. The fact that Disarming Voice is mainly learned by Fairy-types further supports the theory of a Water/Fairy Popplio evolution.

I really hope so. Also some fans have estimated Popplio's stats:

65 / 30 / 50 / 50 / 50 / 40

It's likely not fighting, unless it is a special fighter :/

More likely, given the moves it has, it will be a bulky special attacker. Hopefully fairy type! Though, Psychic would also be nice :)

Years
  • I really hope so. Also some fans have estimated Popplio's stats:

65 / 30 / 50 / 50 / 50 / 40

It's likely not fighting, unless it is a special fighter :/

More likely, given the moves it has, it will be a bulky special attacker. Hopefully fairy type! Though, Psychic would also be nice :)

I figured Popplio would have low Speed considering both of Hau's Pokemon (Pichu and Litten) attacked before the player's Popplio did, and aside from Froakie the Water-type starters usually tend to be the slow ones of the bunch. I'm guessing Rowlet may be the physical attacker while Litten may be another special attacker, with one of those two (or heck even both) to have the high Speed stat.

Years
  • The calculation before was done by someone else, but it didn't add up to anywhere near 309-320 (Starter Pokemon Base Stat Range). I decided to examine starter pokemon who have the same stats at level 6 as is provided in the gameplay footage. I assumed that nature + IV's were neutral and that base stat for the final evolution is 530 simply using the proportions of its estimated stats. Of course, the stats are usually not proportionally the same after evolution, but this may help us see its strengths and weaknesses. Also, there is not enough information to provide a SUPER accurate guess, but I think these are in the ball park.

Also a friend did a calculation as well. We were both fairly close. Basically it is a matter of the extent of Popplio's bulkiness versus balance.

Estimate 1
    60 40 50 62 62 40 = 314
    100 65 85 110 110 60 = 530

Estimate 2
    55 40 55 62 62 45 = 319
    91 66 91 103 103 75 = 530

It is just looking like it will not be a fighting type provided that it may have the lowest attack stat of any starter, even the Fennekin line. :)

Years
  • It is just looking like it will not be a fighting type provided that it may have the lowest attack stat of any starter, even the Fennekin line. :)

According to Bulbapedia, these are the base stat comparisons of the final evolutions of each starter (not counting Megas). Stats are in this order - HP / Atk / Def / SpAtk / SpDef / Spd
    Spoiler:

Delphox has the weakest Attack stat of the final stages and the fact its types (Fire and Psychic) are mainly special-based makes sense behind its weak physical prowess, so if Popplio does end up Water/Fairy (again two types that are mainly special) then the stats suggesting it as a bulky slow special attacker do seem to back it up, since Water and Fairy aren't well known for having a lot of speedsters.

Solar Snivy

#TeamRowlet
    Years
  • I think Popplio gets a lot of hate because it's appearance is so... dorky at first glance. I really didn't like him either, but now he's grown on me.

And I completely agree that he needs a more feminine final form.

Years
  • Literally can't wait for the second stages so people will flip their can.

I can't wait to see the reactions when they find out Litten becomes a biped, Popplio becomes very cool and Rowlet becomes all dorky. Still, I have a bad feeling they will disappoint someone... *looks at Quilladin*

Melody

Banned
    Years
  • Personally, I adore Popplio. (S)He shows more energy and character, even standing still, than Litten or Rowlett do. I do firmly believe it's secondary typing on evolution will be Fairy at some point.

Honestly I find that people who dislike Popplio, do so for the wrong reasons.

Further I see a lot of heavy speculation that Popplio is going to end up fighting type. This is ugly, as I find that fighting types are often very unappealing and are oftentimes too masculine and are Not Cute At All. Yes I understand exceptions exist; but the bulk of the time, fighting types aren't usually cute, or adorable. This goes against the grain of what appears to be Game Freak's theme for these starters.

Secondly, the "leaked types" news that evidently appeared in the source code of a Nintendo site strikes me as being blatantly a hoax or false outright. I doubt their web-devs are that careless to that extent. Likely the type is a placeholder value; if it even relates to Popplio at all, which brings me to my next point.

The HTML source code is intended for your browser and the developers to read. Such a secondary listing was probably guessed from the web developer's own limited knowledge. I know for a fact a web developer is not going to have access to the game content. He or She will probably have met with people detailing exactly what, from their bosses, they want presented on the website. The Web developer may leave slots or variables or classes open, but hidden, and populated with random values so that in the future they can quickly edit in new information as it's released. This random information is placeholder and a web dev would know this. To leak information this way would be a quick ticket to a lost job as these companies take keeping secrets very seriously.

Last edited:
    Years
  • Dorky? I'm sorry Hikari, but this is where our opinions differ, here. There hasn't been a grass starter yet that was designed so horribly, at least to me, that it was considerably much more repulsive than the others. Sure, Quilladin took a lot of people by surprise, but it was cute in a plump way, and Chesnaught made the turn from cute to "tough" or, if you want to go another route, "badass", much like Delphox and Greninja did.

Don't get me wrong, the Grass-type starters aren't that badly designed. Fennekin was 6th Gen's initial fave starter but Delphox was a letdown to some of those fans, and that's where I'm concerned Rowlet could have the same fate.

AliceBlaze

Shiny Collector
    Years
  • I don't hate Popplio, I just think Rowlett and Litten look better. Once their evolutions are revealed, I may end up liking Popplio better than the others or it may at least become my second favourite just like Oshawott and Froakie

shadowmoon522

Master of Darkness & Light
    Years
    • Age 33
    • PA
    • Seen today
    i don't dislike it, i just don't think it should have been a starter. the grass, fire, water trio thing has been over done. one of the reasons i liked XD & Colosseum was that they didn't bind you to that triangle having umbreon, & espeon as a starter set & a eevee as a starter was great & proof that they didn't have to stick to the same thing.

Years
    • Seen Apr 23, 2017
    So I had a dream that I was playing the game and I had Poplio's evolution... It was round and large with a collared cape. Like a larger superhero type. I was intrigued and woke up fast, but... thought I would share.

Flower

✿ flower keeper ✿
    Years
  • Popplio's super cute, not my favorite but I still really really love em. ;v; I'm also hoping for a Water/Fairy evolution, would be really nice to have a Water/Fairy Pokémon that wasn't retyped hahah. Looking forward to hearing more about the cutie.

Back