• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Wii U (Wii successor) Speculation/Information thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

fenyx4

HOENN CONFIRMED!
Years
  • Looking forward to official announcements. I'd be willing to bet that the system is about on par with the PS3, or slightly superior. Big jumps are unexpected for me.

A touchscreen on the controller doesn't seem so strange. Configurable "buttons" and stuff seem like a good idea, and hopefully it'll swing that way. This whole thing could be really good or really not, and the controller will determine a lot of that.

I'm actually looking forward to the controller with a console on it. I mean, the Nintendo DS is essentially "a controller with two screens on it", and look how well that's selling. It also marks yet another innovative technique that no one (in recent memory) has done before - after 2 screens, 3D, and motion-sensing, putting a screen on the controller seems like logical progression, eh? :)

Nintendo confirmed Project Cafe, but not that design of the new console. If that is seriously it, I'm ragequitting Nintendo. That thing looks like a brick I'd throw at someone's window. I don't like it. It should look a little more streamline than that.

I'm pretty sure that it's fake, seeing as it would take away from the idea of a home console if you could stream the gameplay to a handheld device. That means that it could be taken anywhere without many restrictions.

LOL...that prototype design doesn't look that bad. Even the Wii looks more like a "plastic brick" than that Project Cafe prototype. At least that prototype has a much more noticeable rounded edge on it, whereas the Wii is very rectangular save for minor alterations. XD

I think the Nintendo 3DS working as some sort of controller would be nice, similar to how the DS can act as a controller when playing Pokemon Battle Revolution. I'm going to have to wait with this "handheld gameplay streaming" feature, though...

It'd better be fake but an early model seems more likely. The controller looks off, it doesn't match the color of the displayed prototype and seems looks like an edited bottom half of a 3DS, though I still like it. If the controller is the size of the 3DS's bottom half, it's useable :)

I'm really happy about this coming out. Again, I hope it has motion gaming for fitness and family fun since we didn't get the Wii. I also said we should because an HD would be coming soon, then I heard a Wii successor wouldn't come for quite some time, but we still didn't get a Wii xD I'll go and see the rumored specs. I would have liked the Wand and Nunchuck to stay also x)

I still prefer that first design that IGN posted, because I realized the "analog stick" on the 3DS is actually indented, being concave rather than convex. For some reason, I thought it was going to be like the PS3 controller's analog stick or something. >.< I still haven't actually touched a 3DS thing, but I'd hope that the "Circle Pad" wouldn't be uncomfortable on a traditional console controller, either.

I hope we don't sacrifice motion-sensing simply for "adding a screen to the controller". The Wii's motion-sensing, while difficult to maneuver occasionally, was one of the features I loved about the Wii ever since its budding days as the Revolution. Not to mention that it's also endorsed by the American Heart Association, so that's a major plus right there for our health, and also serves as an excuse for playing the Wii. XD It appears that Project Cafe will be backwards-compatible with the Wii controllers, but I await to see how more motion-sensing will be supported in the next console generation - and by motion-sensing, I mean Wii Remote-esque motion-sensing, not that PlayStation 3 DualShock controller's shoddy attempt at "motion-sensing."

Also, I'm sure many players will be excited by this rumor:
    (possibly) NO MORE FRIEND CODES!!!

:cer_boogie: Personally, Friend Codes weren't that much of a bother for me if it went by Friend Code per system, rather than per game. Another upside to them, as pointed out by others, is that users don't have to fight over usernames if they wish to have the same one. I'd like to have an account-based system with hidden Friend Codes, so users would only be prompted to enter Friend Codes if two users happen to share the same username - in such a scenario, they can keep the same username, and the Friend Codes still assist in differentiating the users, thus bringing the best aspects of account-based and Friend-Code systems (if such a feature is even possible).

Jeremy

<font color="deepskyblue">Sweetie</font>
    Years
  • Well sweeties, I don't usually give in to speculation/rumors, seeing that's confirmed, I'll just wait till e3 to see.

Also people are forgetting the most important thing, the possibility of a new Legend of Zelda: Four Swords Adventures.

Barney.

Years
    • Age 29
    • Seen Jul 30, 2015
    Nintendo are normally good at making 'nice to hold' controllers, IMO.​

Gamecube Controller. Epitome of gaming comfort.

Nintendo confirmed Project Cafe, but not that design of the new console. If that is seriously it, I'm ragequitting Nintendo. That thing looks like a brick I'd throw at someone's window. I don't like it. It should look a little more streamline than that.

Well yeah, the console design isn't confirmed, but even if it does look like that, I doubt it will remain that colour. Plus, it doesn't look that bad at all :/.

Also people are forgetting the most important thing, the possibility of a new Legend of Zelda: Four Swords Adventures.

.. Hell to the yeah.

Bluerang1

pin pin
    Years
  • I'm actually looking forward to the controller with a console on it. I mean, the Nintendo DS is essentially "a controller with two screens on it", and look how well that's selling. It also marks yet another innovative technique that no one (in recent memory) has done before - after 2 screens, 3D, and motion-sensing, putting a screen on the controller seems like logical progression, eh? :)

Yes! That would be totally awesome! But expensive D=

fenyx4

HOENN CONFIRMED!
    Years
  • Whoa...as if the potential removal of Friend Codes wasn't good enough, Nintendo also seems to be moving toward a more social, online platform regarding Project Cafe: :cer_boogie:

With Project Cafe, Nintendo aims to create the first social game console. What do I mean by this? Well, here's where you have to start imagining the future with me. First off, no more friend codes, that's for damn sure. But start to think about what a company like Nintendo would want to do to have players gaming and sharing together. Take a look at what it's done with StreetPass on the 3DS (where players' items and achievements can be shared with others nearby even when the system is closed) and think about what it could do on its next connected console. Nintendo merely scratched the surface with its Mii parade (where peoples' virtual avatars could migrate to others' machines) and user generated polls on the Wii -- 5 years later, the company has much more ambitious plans. The new console will be designed around the concept of connecting, sharing, and gaming with others. Like you were gaming together in a café, if you will.​
    But here's where things get potentially even cooler. Imagine seeing your friend's game in one of the screens. You click on it, and -- provided you have the game too -- you then seamlessly join his or her game. No waiting until the next match and no buffering to sync up consoles. Just a seamless online experience, exactly as Nintendo would want it. And the beauty of this is that the concept extends to not only new games, but potentially Nintendo's back catalog of classics. Got a friend racing the AI in Super Mario Kart? What if the game was retrofitted so that you could hop right in at any given moment? That, my friends, may well be the promise of Project Cafe.

And then there's the whole aspect of content sharing. Sony kicked things off nicely with LittleBigPlanet, but there's obviously so much more that could be done with a console designed around social gaming. One of the features I remember Nintendo touting in the early days of the Wii that never really materialized was the ability to push content to the console since it's always on. Sure, we ended up with emails telling us what we played and what not, but the concept was supposed to be so much more -- you were supposed to be able to check your machine each day and have new things waiting for you. So now, imagine checking your Project Cafe each morning and seeing new creations from your friends or even Nintendo. New levels for games, new characters or items to use, new demos for games you're interested in -- there could be all sorts of new things to see and do each time you open your console. I'm telling you, whether Nintendo pulls this off or not, there's a console experience here that's far more enticing than the one we're used to today.

And that's the thing I want to make clear about all of this: I really have no idea how much of this Nintendo will actually achieve with its new console. Again, Nintendo is hardly a company with a proven track record when it comes to online. But Nintendo does get social experiences, and if it's really ready to take the plunge on consoles, I believe it could revolutionize the market again, just as it did with the motion control interface last generation.

So when Stream or whatever it's eventually called is finally released and not everything is exactly as I hypothesized here, don't be shocked or disappointed. I just wanted to give you a taste of some of the rumblings I've heard, if only to paint a picture of what could be, regardless of how it ultimately takes shape. But I can at least assure you of two things: 1. This is absolutely the direction Nintendo is headed with its next console, and 2. Regardless of whether this all materializes in Project Cafe or in some console or handheld later, the future of social gaming as envisioned by Nintendo is sounding pretty darn exciting.

Source: Project Cafe and Nintendo to Revolutionize Online Gaming (ZeldaInformer; originally derived from 1UP)​
    E3 2011 likely should be amazing. I can't wait to see how Project Cafe kicks off the next generation of gaming. :)

Also, I know this is a bit of a tough time for Sony, but this comment was a bit amusing - and they did diss Nintendo, not to mention their own customers...:
    -.-
    HeavyWeaponsFan of ZeldaInformer said:
    HAAHAHAHA!!! Sweet karma if you think about it. Sony dissed Nintendo's portables and motion controls last week, and now their network was hacked and their clients' personal information is being stolen. There are even talks of massive lawsuits against Sony. Ahhhh,,, the universe is balanced.

NurseBarbra

くら くら?
    Years
    • Age 29
    • Seen Feb 4, 2017
    I've been following this for a while on my own, and nintendo always saves the big guns for E3, so I guess we'll have to wait a few months...

Also how AWESOME would it be if nintendo got steam. Then it would be like.... Hell I don't know, But it would be awesome~

Alternative

f i r e f l y .
    Years
  • Project Cafe looks interesting to say the least. What I really want to see from it is not just the console, but forcing Microsoft to bring out their next console before 2015. Als I want it to make me a latté.

fenyx4

HOENN CONFIRMED!
    Years
  • My GOSH. There's actually talk of Project Cafe's actual name being Nintendo Feel.

nintendo-feel-300x166.jpg

(mockup image)

Article (ZeldaInformer): http://www.zeldainformer.com/2011/0...-project-cafe-will-be-name-nintendo-feel.html

It took me quite a while to become accustomed to Nintendo Wii - to the point where at one time, I considered manually covering my system and box art with stickers/pieces of paper saying "Revolution". Fortunately, I have warmed up to the name "Wii", particularly because it is reminiscent of "we", and the two I's in the logo resemble two people playing together. Now, I hardly have qualms with the name (though "Revolution" did have a considerable edge of coolness).

But "Feel" is where I draw the line. "Wii" turned out to be cool, but "Feel" would be utterly abysmal. And "Touching Is Good" and "Take A Look Inside" were innuendo-ish enough. Not to mention that I would actually take the time to tape "Stream" to every box-art that had "Feel" on it.
    Granted, I might just be getting worked up on a rumor, but I sincerely hope the actual console name is considerably cooler than "Feel". Perhaps Nintendo Stream? I mean, if a console can have a cool name like Project Cafe, you'd think the actual console name would be way better... Well, if true, I can hold out an infinitesimally small glimmer of hope that the console name could be changed upon localization...

Also, I'm highly doubting that "touch film on the controller" thing. Let's get through the shock of adding a screen to the controller first. We can get "tactile" in the 9th Generation of videogaming. >_> Though the touch technology is possible, as Toshiba has proven..

And finally, I'm glad that they're not abandoning buttons, or so it seems. I can handle touchscreens integrated in a console's or periphery's overall design, but not as the sole means of controller input. :x

Last edited:

Mew~

THE HOST IS BROKEN
    Years
    • Seen Apr 13, 2016
    I guess I'm just gonna bump this thread right now, since for those who don't know, Project Café will apparently be showcased at E3 on June 7.

Åzurε

Shi-shi-shi-shaw!
    Years
    • Seen Jun 2, 2013
    So, quoth Kotaku, the new system may just be called the Nintendo. Apparently it's supposed to be all nostalgia-y; you didn't call it an NES or SNES, you called it the Nintendo. And no matter what you keep in your pocket, somebody is going to ask what you're playing on your Game Boy.

I can get behind that, I guess. I expect Sony to rag on it, though.

Mew~

THE HOST IS BROKEN
    Years
    • Seen Apr 13, 2016
    OMGOMG/

Wii U

I'll ask Captain Fabio to change the thread name, and update the first post. :D

Yuoaman

I don't know who I am either.
    Years
  • Wii U is my favorite thing from all of E3 so far, it's just an awesome device in general, AND IT PLAYS HD GAMES.

What's not to like?

ChillinInYoCloset

PacmanAteMe
    Years
  • I must say, Nintendo upped the ante on Sony and Microsoft today. What the Wii U can do leaves all competitors in the dust, and I'm no Nintendo Fanboy (I haven't played my Wii in forever). Nintendo showed console after console that they are innovators, and they sure have innovated a lot. I am so buying this and the 3DS.

Years
    • Seen Jan 18, 2016
    It'd better be fake but an early model seems more likely. The controller looks off, it doesn't match the color of the displayed prototype and seems looks like an edited bottom half of a 3DS, though I still like it. If the controller is the size of the 3DS's bottom half, it's useable :)

I'm really happy about this coming out. Again, I hope it has motion gaming for fitness and family fun since we didn't get the Wii. I also said we should because an HD would be coming soon, then I heard a Wii successor wouldn't come for quite some time, but we still didn't get a Wii xD I'll go and see the rumored specs. I would have liked the Wand and Nunchuck to stay also x)
    What?

That's pretty much all that the Wii had; barely any good games with the majority of them shovelware "family oriented" games
    I must say, Nintendo upped the ante on Sony and Microsoft today. What the Wii U can do leaves all competitors in the dust, and I'm no Nintendo Fanboy (I haven't played my Wii in forever). Nintendo showed console after console that they are innovators, and they sure have innovated a lot. I am so buying this and the 3DS.
    Sony already planned to do the whole playing your console on a handheld with the Vita

If anything, Microsoft would be the most innovative with the Kinect and I don't even like the Xbox

JP

wut?
    Years
    • Age 33
    • USA
    • Seen Dec 13, 2019
    What?

That's pretty much all that the Wii had; barely any good games with the majority of them shovelware "family oriented" games

I think he meant he and his family didn't get the Wii but perhaps want to get the Wii U, not that the Wii didn't have any fitness and "family fun" games.

Years
    • Seen Jan 18, 2016
    I think he meant he and his family didn't get the Wii but perhaps want to get the Wii U, not that the Wii didn't have any fitness and "family fun" games.
    Ah, ok. That would make a lot more sense if that was the case

Åzurε

Shi-shi-shi-shaw!
    Years
    • Seen Jun 2, 2013

WiiU! WiiU! WiiU! WiiU!

...Sorry.

Anyways, there seems to be the possibility that the system may only support one new controller at a time. :/ It's conceivable that the back-and-forth could be too much for the Wii U to support multiples and still work smoothly. And the chase mii demo had only one person with a controller, while the others used Wii remotes. I guess I'll still hold out hope, but not too much hope.

Yuoaman

I don't know who I am either.
    Years

• WiiU! WiiU! WiiU! WiiU!

...Sorry.

Anyways, there seems to be the possibility that the system may only support one new controller at a time. :/ It's conceivable that the back-and-forth could be too much for the Wii U to support multiples and still work smoothly. And the chase mii demo had only one person with a controller, while the others used Wii remotes. I guess I'll still hold out hope, but not too much hope.

I doubt that'll be the case as it has been mentioned that it will be possible to have multiple instances of a game running on multiple controllers.

Mew~

THE HOST IS BROKEN
    Years
    • Seen Apr 13, 2016
    /Updated first post.

I'm really excited to see Super Smash Bros in HD. :D

Munch Dog

Growlithe!
    Years
  • Smash Bros. on Wii U and 3DS... AND they'll be able to "interact" with each other. This sounds pretty awesome. If by interact they mean being able to play with people from both versions then I'm on board for this.

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Back