• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Will Gen 5 be the death of Pokemon?

Years
    • Seen Jan 28, 2012
    I doubt Gen V will be the last Pokemon Gen... Yes, it will probably lack some creativity with new Pokemon, but it will also probably expand on gameplay like the previous Gens have...

Not to mention Pokemon is the second best selling video game franchise in the world, only topped by Mario. It won't just disappear, if it does end... It would be really obvious.

Myles

Seriously?
    Years
  • What I don't get is why people always seem to think or want Pokemon to end. You don't see people saying that sort of stuff about Mario, etc. generally. At least no where near as much as Pokemon.

Gold_fan

Brain over - Insert Coin.
    Years
  • What I don't get is why people always seem to think or want Pokemon to end. You don't see people saying that sort of stuff about Mario, etc. generally. At least no where near as much as Pokemon.

I know right ?
    Personnally, It's more like I want pokemon to last "forever" or at least, the longer possible.
    So I hope to see good things from Gen V, hun.

The Red Chain

Yes, they will. It would take a lot more than that to stop them. They've been Mario games and Zelda games, etc., etc., etc. that have gone bad. They don't stop an insanely popular series just because of that.
    This.
    Do you guys have any idea how much money Nintendo makes off of the Pokemon franchise?
    Just because one generation fails does not mean they will stop making games.
    They'll milk the cow until it goes bone dry, so to speak.

What I don't get is why people always seem to think or want Pokemon to end.
    Prolly cause Pokemon is a great series and people want Nintendo to stop making it so they don't ruin it's glory with horrible sequels.
    Thus turning Pokemon into a clone of Power Rangers.
    After all, it's better to die with pride on the battlefield than to foolishly throw yourself into flames.

Heehee, metaphors are fun. <3

Last edited:

Clover Cat

Child of Gold and Crystal
    Years
  • I'm sensing the main point of this thread is the hate on the Gen IV designs. I agree in that I don't like them and think they could be better, but that still means this is opinionated discussion, so it's likely never to get anywhere.

I'll laugh very hard if people bash and flame the upcoming Generation because of yet-to-be-seen designs based on the previous Generation, only for Nintendo to pull a curve ball and actually release some good designs.

But anyway. Main subject: The only problem I see is Arceus. Supposedly the creator of the Pokemon world, and probably intended to be the ultimate Pokemon in the games. How are the next Generation Legendaries going to top 'God' status? I know there are still unused animals to use for base designs, and they can always come up with some other minor god or whatever...but any other Pokemon of that kind are going to pale in comparison to the creator of the universe.

BlueEew

PokeProject - GO!
    Years
  • Arceus only created the Universe doesn't make it god, there will never be a god in Pokemon. The closest thing to a god will be Mew. /thread

I don't think 5th Generation will be the end of Pokemon, if it continues to sell well like the other DS games then new generations will appear.

Years
  • How many Pokemon can you get before it becomes too much to handle?

I think they have enough Pokemon as it is. I'd say about 800-1000 pokemon would be the limit before it gets too much.

Now, there are almost 500 Pokemon, and that number is going to grow, likely by another 100 or so, in the fifth generation. How long is it before the only Pokemon we see from the first generation are Charizard, Mewtwo, Gyarados, and Dragonite? How many more Pokemon will it take before they simply run out of ideas (or their ideas become so repetitive or alien that it's functionally the same thing)? I worry that as soon as the next generation, and certainly by Generation VII or VIII, Pokemon will succumb to these pitfalls.

I agree. I hope that never happens as the first generation is concerned. They can keep creating new regions, new gyms and human characters but there has to be a limit when it comes to the Pokemon.

That isn't true to me. Maybe to you, but not to me.
    And I find it illogical anyways to have 500 pokemon only.
    We can already conclude that it takes place in the real world(hence Mew being found in South America) and we know that there are millions of species, so why can't it be same with pokemon?
    Pokemon and real world animal species are two different things. I don't think Nintendo/Game Freak will ever get as far as even half a million Pokemon species. 1000-1500 will probably be the maximum. Pokemon would get really boring and pointless if it had a million kinds.

I can't wait for Gen 5 I think the "Pokewalker" is going to bring a very fun and interesting aspect to gameplay.

What's a Pokewalker?

But anyway. Main subject: The only problem I see is Arceus. Supposedly the creator of the Pokemon world, and probably intended to be the ultimate Pokemon in the games. How are the next Generation Legendaries going to top 'God' status? I know there are still unused animals to use for base designs, and they can always come up with some other minor god or whatever...but any other Pokemon of that kind are going to pale in comparison to the creator of the universe.

As far as legendaries are concerned, nothing will top Arceus, Dialga, Palkia, etc.

Mew~

THE HOST IS BROKEN
    Years
    • Seen Apr 13, 2016
    This is my comments not disagreeing or arguing

Kanto:
    When you think about it this region was good not to difficult great way to start the world of pokemon ( in a gaming way) it did not have many cons but that is mainly because there is was really nothing to compare it to.

Jhoto:
    Well this is everybody favorite region (while I personally think people look at it through rose colored glasses) The region was good and the gyms had good pokemon and it had the massive edge of two regions in one region
    But this game has several cons for examples Most (i can not say all)(I love scisor) of the pokemon were really bad like quillfish hoothoot, remoraid ect i can go on and the region was honestly really really really easy i recently re played the game and i pretty much had a two man team (ampharos and quagsire) and i had zero difficulty and did not black out once,

Hohen
    All round really good region I like the evil organisation(s) and i really did like the story and all the towns. i accatually like most pokemon in the game and this game did have a high challenge level and loved the addition of the battle frontier
    biggest con was all the legendarys

Sinnoh
    I loved most pokemon the only thing i did not like about this region was that the battle frontier was not that challenge and was pretty easy to completle if you put ur mind to it i found this game easier then hohen but more challenging than the others.

All in this i think of the order like this
    For pokemon
    kanto/sinnoh
    Hohen
    Jhoto

For difficulty
    Hohen
    Sinnoh
    jhoto
    Kanto

For region
    Sinnoh
    hohen
    jhoto
    Kanto

All together
    Sinnoh
    Hohen
    jhoto
    Kanto

Thats just what i think
    I agree with this guy! Although... might wanna learn how to spell the regions! Hoenn, Johto... ;)

Arceus only created the Universe doesn't make it god, there will never be a god in Pokemon. The closest thing to a god will be Mew.
    Arceus is more of a god then Mew :( I know alot about mew! Mew is said to have the DNA of every single Pokémon contained within its body. Just because it has all the genes of every pokemon doesnt mean its a god :\

Last edited:
    Years
  • I agree with this guy! Although... might wanna learn how to spell the regions! Hoenn, Johto... ;)

Arceus is more of a god then Mew :( I know alot about mew! Mew is said to have the DNA of every single Pokémon contained within its body. Just because it has all the genes of every pokemon doesnt mean its a god :\

Agreed. Arceus came before Mew and is the creator. Ditto also has the genes of every pokemon or at least can duplicate itself. Mew is the ancestor of all Pokemon but is not a god, while Arceus is more of a god because he is the creator. That is like saying Adam is a god even though I don't believe in Genesis.

Luck

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
    Years
    • Seen May 20, 2023
    Pokemon and real world animal species are two different things. I don't think Nintendo/Game Freak will ever get as far as even half a million Pokemon species. 1000-1500 will probably be the maximum. Pokemon would get really boring and pointless if it had a million kinds.
    I never meant it to that large of an extant, my message was to say that only 500 species of pokemon existing is absurd. There aren't even regional differences, such as an alternate colour yanma.

GlitchCity

GlitchxCity
    Years
  • I think gen 5 will be a reboot just like gen 3. A brand new area with completely brand new pokemon (with 1 or 2 pre-evos). Plus the remakes of gen 3. Oh yeah and there is a con of generation 1. It was in black and white and there were glitches, but thats just due to the technology at the time.

And I dont think that generation 5 will be the death, just like every gen. its a rebirth of pokemon and new advances in technology. I am so looking foward for the new generation.

Years
  • They're going to sell until people quit buying. Gen 5 will not be the end, not by a longshot.

The only danger to the pokemon franchise would be for Gamfreak/Nintendo to totally revamp the entire game for the worse. So far, they've kept things in line with the old games (starters--->8 Gym badges--->E4--->extra stuff). Even if they made some massive screw up, it would probably still take a few generations of failures for people to stop buying. With the fanbase the games have now, I see no signs of the end.

The only thing I worry about is there being another cut-off point like before, when they made R/B/Y/G/S/C incompatible with the newer games.

EDIT: And I also wonder how they'll keep up with all these different regions as time goes on. So far, they've managed to keep most pokemon in their homeland region.

Last edited:

Spikey-Eared Pichu

Pichu-pi!
    Years
  • Okay, I've seen enough posts to gather that the majority of posters here assume I created this as an 'Anti-Gen IV' thread. Let me make this clear:

This is a thread of speculation about the upcoming generation's success or failure. In no way is this thread intended to bash any region/generation.

Gold_fan

Brain over - Insert Coin.
    Years
  • Okay, I've seen enough posts to gather that the majority of posters here assume I created this as an 'Anti-Gen IV' thread. Let me make this clear:

This is a thread of speculation about the upcoming generation's success or failure. In no way is this thread intended to bash any region/generation.

Actually I ,and I guess some others here, did not take this thread of yours as an "Anti-Gen IV" as you said. I just gave my opinion about Designs, but also explained some things about Names they gave to the Pokemons.
    And well, as I said, I'm looking forward to seeing what Generation V will bring us.
    But I don't think that's gonna be the "end" of Pokemon, and don't hope so. >>

bmah

B.A.M.
    Years
  • I don't understand why people constantly want to predict when the series will end - as mentioned by some, Pokemon will go on until it runs out of steam (i.e. disinterest). So Pokemon's death is a function of marketing success, that's all. With every subsequent game though, developers have to find more and more creative ways to make Pokemon interesting - formulaic cookie-cutter games is a result of running out of ideas, and that would lead to general disinterest in the series eventually. When that happens is a matter of public reception.

People should stop worrying about the end of Pokemon, and just enjoy what we have right now. Because you're just taking half the fun out of it if you're a worrywart.

Mew~

THE HOST IS BROKEN
    Years
    • Seen Apr 13, 2016
    I think pokemon games and 5th generation will be on psp as the pokemon games is an UMD
    Lol that would never happen, they would put it on a nintendo console :\
    Usually each gen has had its own console so i think they might make a new nintendo handheld, put it on DS or wii

LightEspeon ♥!

Espeon is awesome!
    Years
  • Here's my opinion about the regions:

Kanto: Good start to Pokémon.

Pros: Great legendary Pokémon such as Mew.
    Cons: Too many glitches , a little bit boring to be honest ,
    nothing to do at the end when your done with the game and
    no female option.

Johto: I loved that region! best one ever! :D
    Pros: Get to go to the Kanto region , Shiny Pokémon , Breeding ,
    Night and Day time system , great evolutions and pre-evolutions ,
    Pokémon genders and get to play as a girl.

Eh don't feel like doing the rest.

Here's my favorites.

Johto
    Sinnoh
    Hoenn
    Kanto

Nintengod

Elite Battler &amp; Contest Master
    Years
  • Okay, I'm definitly excited for Gen 5, especially now that it's been pretty much validated. But, thinking it over, could Generation 5 be the egg that kills the goose, so to speak?

Let's look at what we've got so far:

Gen 1: The original generation. Here came 151 original, unique species of Pokemon in an entirely new world with strange rules and a nice plot. You begin as a young boy who is taken under the wing of Prof. Oak to go out into the Kanto region and capture Pokemon, wild creatures with special powers that are used for competitive battling. Along the way, you encounter the evil Team Rocket who see Pokemon as a form of profit. You thwart their plans, beat the Pokemon Gyms and ultimately become Champion. This gave you access to one final goodie, Cerulean Cave, with its high-level Pokemon and the uber goodie, Mewtwo.
    Pros: 151 unqiue Pokemon, new region of Kanto, entirely new system for a videogame.
    Cons:N/A

Gen 2: The follow-up to Gen 1, and, IMO, the best sequel ever. Generation 2 introduced 100 new species of Pokemon, with 12 new evolutions to Gen 1 Pokemon and the inclusion of Baby Pokemon, adding 7 new pre-evolutions to Generation 1 Pokemon, and 6 new Legendary Pokemon. The game also included Kanto's sister region, Johto. The game is also the first to introduce the trend of Legendary Pokemon as mascots; this gen's being Lugia, Ho-Oh, and Suicune. Another new element was the breeding system, which allowed players to leave obtain 1st stage versions of Pokemon they left at the Day-Care center. You'd begin the game as a young boy/girl who is given a Pokemon by Prof. Elm and asked to run a simple errand which quickly unfolds into a grand adventure. You discover that TR has regrouped and once again thwart their plans, as well as beat the 8 Pokemon Gyms of Johto, and become Champion. Afterwards, you go to a redesigned Kanto where you defeat its 8 gyms and then reach the final challenge of defeating Red, the protagonist of Gen 1.
    Pros: 100 new Pokemon, with a minute amount of evolutions and pre-evos to previous Pokemon coming to a total of 19. New region of Johto, option to return to Kanto, improved battle system and animated Pokemon.
    Cons: Low difficulty level, exclusion of Virdian Forest, Safari Zone, and the option to traverse Silph Co.

Gen 3: Generation 3 took us to the tropical region of Hoenn. Gen 3 introduced 135 new Pokemon with no evoltuions to previous Gen Pokemon and only 2 pre-evos to past Gen Pokemon and a total of 10 new legendary Pokemon. The setting for Gen 3 is the island region of Hoenn. The mascots are Kyogre, Groudon, and Rayquaza. This region also introduced the 'nature' element, in which every Pokemon has a certain 'personality' to itself. You'd start off as a newly moved-in resident from Johto. You quickly enter the world of Pokemon after aiding an endangered Prof. Birch from a wild Pokemon. You traverse Hoenn, battling Gym Leaders, and participating in Pokemon Contests. Along the way you uncover the evil doings of Teams Aqua and Magma, two eco-terrorist teams whom want to expand the land and sea respectively. You defeat them after they awaken the ancient Pokemon of Land/Sea, Groudon/Kyogre, and then proceed to become Pokemon Champion. Afterwards, there is little to do other than partake in the Battle Frontier, an island where comptetive game-play is key.
    Pros: 135 new Pokemon, 2 new baby Pokemon, new system in which trainers could particpate in Pokemon Contests to win ribbons based on their Pokemons' condition, new region of Hoenn, further improved battle system, Battle Frontier is introduced for competitive gamers.
    Cons: Of the 135 new Pokemon, only about two handfuls are actually original or memorable. There was almost no inclusion of previous Generations' Pokemon. The post-game fell fatally flat. The introduction of ten legendary Pokemon made it less special to have said Pokemon.

Gen 4: Generation 4 introduced players to the Sinnoh region, with 107 new Pokemon, with 22 evolutions to past Gen Pokemon, 7 pre-evos to past Gen Pokemon and 14 new Legendary Pokemon. The game takes place in the Sinnoh region. The version masctos are Dialga, Palkia, and Giratina. You begin the game as an innocent boy/girl who unknowingly becomes enthralled in Pokemon after a chance encounter with Prof. Birch. You then travel through Sinnoh and uncover the menacing force known as Team Galactic who want to reshape the world using the Pokemon of Space and Time, Palkia and Dialga. You defeat them, proceed to conquer the Sinnoh League and become Champion. Again, not much in the post-game other than the Battle Frontier.
    Pros: 107 new Pokemon, the new region of Sinnoh, 2.5D graphics, higher difficulty.
    Cons: Of the 107 new Pokemon, a very select few are actually good. This gen has way too many evolutions to previous generations' Pokemon which ruined most of them (Rhydon, Magmar, Electabuzz). Also, with 14 new legendaries, having a Legendary isn't even considered special anymore. Arceus=EPICEST OF MOST EPIC OF EPIC FAILS.

Now, we have the release of HG/SS. This could possibly be the last Golden egg before the goose dies from Generation 5. So, is Gen 5 going to be the end of Pokemon?

You=Epic fail

3+4 were awesome. 4 admitably was the worst, but come on it sold 20mil. It wasn't THAT BAD. Not to mention the pkmn creator confirmed there will be at least 10gens.

Back