• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Will Gen 5 be the death of Pokemon?

560cool.

An old timer?
    Years
    Okay, I'm definitly excited for Gen 5, especially now that it's been pretty much validated. But, thinking it over, could Generation 5 be the egg that kills the goose, so to speak?

Let's look at what we've got so far:

Gen 1: The original generation. Here came 151 original, unique species of Pokemon in an entirely new world with strange rules and a nice plot. You begin as a young boy who is taken under the wing of Prof. Oak to go out into the Kanto region and capture Pokemon, wild creatures with special powers that are used for competitive battling. Along the way, you encounter the evil Team Rocket who see Pokemon as a form of profit. You thwart their plans, beat the Pokemon Gyms and ultimately become Champion. This gave you access to one final goodie, Cerulean Cave, with its high-level Pokemon and the uber goodie, Mewtwo.
    Pros: 151 unqiue Pokemon, new region of Kanto, entirely new system for a videogame.
    Cons:N/A

Gen 2: The follow-up to Gen 1, and, IMO, the best sequel ever. Generation 2 introduced 100 new species of Pokemon, with 12 new evolutions to Gen 1 Pokemon and the inclusion of Baby Pokemon, adding 7 new pre-evolutions to Generation 1 Pokemon, and 6 new Legendary Pokemon. The game also included Kanto's sister region, Johto. The game is also the first to introduce the trend of Legendary Pokemon as mascots; this gen's being Lugia, Ho-Oh, and Suicune. Another new element was the breeding system, which allowed players to leave obtain 1st stage versions of Pokemon they left at the Day-Care center. You'd begin the game as a young boy/girl who is given a Pokemon by Prof. Elm and asked to run a simple errand which quickly unfolds into a grand adventure. You discover that TR has regrouped and once again thwart their plans, as well as beat the 8 Pokemon Gyms of Johto, and become Champion. Afterwards, you go to a redesigned Kanto where you defeat its 8 gyms and then reach the final challenge of defeating Red, the protagonist of Gen 1.
    Pros: 100 new Pokemon, with a minute amount of evolutions and pre-evos to previous Pokemon coming to a total of 19. New region of Johto, option to return to Kanto, improved battle system and animated Pokemon.
    Cons: Low difficulty level, exclusion of Virdian Forest, Safari Zone, and the option to traverse Silph Co.

Gen 3: Generation 3 took us to the tropical region of Hoenn. Gen 3 introduced 135 new Pokemon with no evoltuions to previous Gen Pokemon and only 2 pre-evos to past Gen Pokemon and a total of 10 new legendary Pokemon. The setting for Gen 3 is the island region of Hoenn. The mascots are Kyogre, Groudon, and Rayquaza. This region also introduced the 'nature' element, in which every Pokemon has a certain 'personality' to itself. You'd start off as a newly moved-in resident from Johto. You quickly enter the world of Pokemon after aiding an endangered Prof. Birch from a wild Pokemon. You traverse Hoenn, battling Gym Leaders, and participating in Pokemon Contests. Along the way you uncover the evil doings of Teams Aqua and Magma, two eco-terrorist teams whom want to expand the land and sea respectively. You defeat them after they awaken the ancient Pokemon of Land/Sea, Groudon/Kyogre, and then proceed to become Pokemon Champion. Afterwards, there is little to do other than partake in the Battle Frontier, an island where comptetive game-play is key.
    Pros: 135 new Pokemon, 2 new baby Pokemon, new system in which trainers could particpate in Pokemon Contests to win ribbons based on their Pokemons' condition, new region of Hoenn, further improved battle system, Battle Frontier is introduced for competitive gamers.
    Cons: Of the 135 new Pokemon, only about two handfuls are actually original or memorable. There was almost no inclusion of previous Generations' Pokemon. The post-game fell fatally flat. The introduction of ten legendary Pokemon made it less special to have said Pokemon.

Gen 4: Generation 4 introduced players to the Sinnoh region, with 107 new Pokemon, with 22 evolutions to past Gen Pokemon, 7 pre-evos to past Gen Pokemon and 14 new Legendary Pokemon. The game takes place in the Sinnoh region. The version masctos are Dialga, Palkia, and Giratina. You begin the game as an innocent boy/girl who unknowingly becomes enthralled in Pokemon after a chance encounter with Prof. Birch. You then travel through Sinnoh and uncover the menacing force known as Team Galactic who want to reshape the world using the Pokemon of Space and Time, Palkia and Dialga. You defeat them, proceed to conquer the Sinnoh League and become Champion. Again, not much in the post-game other than the Battle Frontier.
    Pros: 107 new Pokemon, the new region of Sinnoh, 2.5D graphics, higher difficulty.
    Cons: Of the 107 new Pokemon, a very select few are actually good. This gen has way too many evolutions to previous generations' Pokemon which ruined most of them (Rhydon, Magmar, Electabuzz). Also, with 14 new legendaries, having a Legendary isn't even considered special anymore. Arceus=EPICEST OF MOST EPIC OF EPIC FAILS.

Now, we have the release of HG/SS. This could possibly be the last Golden egg before the goose dies from Generation 5. So, is Gen 5 going to be the end of Pokemon?

After all , Nintendo realized this kinda works , so they found another cash cow over Mario . So no , they WILL keep milking the cash cow and new children are always born . In a conclusion , Pokemon will hardly EVER dissapear . Can we do anything ?

Takoto

Illustrator
    Years
    Gen5 could go ether way, I'm waiting for more info- much more info, until I decide if it's going to be good or bad. We have ONE POKÉMON revealed, and it isn't even fully revealed! All we have is it's shadow. People are thinking about all this way, waaaay too early.

Dunsparce

The Land Snake Pokemon
    Years
    • Seen Jan 1, 2023
    Ugh. This happens EVERY TIME a new generation is announced. Just seeing this thread makes me think that the speculation will go even more out of control than it did in 4th Gen's reveal(If any of you remember, it was pretty horrible, with talks about fusions, claims that Munchlax was in FR/LG, and a RIDICULOUSLY large amount of Fakemon pouring in).

Like 3rd and 4th Gen, I will NOT speculate. I will just simply wait. Patience is a virtue. Speculating about what will or will not be in the 5th Gen will not make things go faster.

Years
    • Seen May 31, 2010
    I think it comes down to this..
    who doesn't like new pokemon and the new games, but when is it too many
    All the little kids like seeing their favorite pokemon, when there's six thousand pokemon already made before they get into it they can't recognize all of them. And why can't they release the new games in the Us at the same time as Japan so it's more of a suprise. But on the other side it's more to collect and more to play

Zet

Years
    Gen 5 storyline

Spoiler:

And then Ash quits pokemon forever. But to answer your question... Yes, yes it will be the death of pokemon, unless they come up with something new and fresh.

Years
    • Seen Feb 8, 2010
    Unless if Gen 5 somehow sells horribly, then I don't see an end the Pokemon world.

September

Chavo and Serj <3
    Years
    • Seen Nov 5, 2014
    Very annoying dilemma. I can never get enough pokemon games to keep me interested, but at the same time I don't think I could handle another butchering like DPPt.

Honestly the problem is how many pokemon they introduced in each game. I know it was appropriate to have, but now Gamefreak and Nintendo are all out of ideas. It's like they took their final shot into DPPt anyway with the record number of new pokes introduced and TWENTY TWO new evolutions.

But as it was already mentioned several times in this thread, games will keep coming out as long as Nintendo keeps making as much money as they do from it.

Not that I wouldn't do the same thing, but if nothing else create Pokemon that don't look like magazine clippings pasted to together form a horribly made grotesque blob like so many 4th gen pokes came out as (*cough* Gastrodon *cough*)

fenyx4

HOENN CONFIRMED!
    Years
    No. This:

Pearl / Diamond: Additional software was installed to make it a better Pokémon. It began acting oddly, however.

Platinum: Its programming was modified to enable work in alien dimensions. It did not work as planned.

Obviously, due to the software that did not work as planned, Porygon took on a form that was not expected.
    Besides, he's not even a REAL Pokemon, he's a computer program that is manipulated via software, [S-HIGHLIGHT]therefore you can't judge it, it gets no say in the matter of its evolutionary process[/S-HIGHLIGHT].

I agree with this. It sucks that Porygon (in terms of the origin of its evo, Porygon-Z) got screwed over like this. And to make matters worse, it hardly sees a chance of being properly featured in anime episode (as a result of the unfortunate Porygon Incident). :(

IMO, though, Porygon-Z actually looks a bit cool and intriguing, despite its harsh past.

I think Porygon Z is meant to look like that since its Dex entry says it was meant to be an upgrade of Porygon 2 but it didn't come out right. [S-HIGHLIGHT]So you can't blame it for being ugly when it has a perfectly good reason.[/S-HIGHLIGHT]

Also Kanto didn't have 151 unique Pokemon, there is nothing unique about a Pokeball with eyes or a Seal called Seel. The only reason you find them unique is because of nostalgia.

I found the above statement very striking. Funny at first, but I pity the poor Porygon now that I look in retrospect... :(

More on-topic, as long as cooler Pokemon designs come out, Pokemon does not look like it will "die" anytime soon (which is awesome!!!). I'm particularly worried about how Z/The First Presumable Generation V Pokemon will come out to look like upon being fully revealed. I've seen fanart that did not look so great, some looked OK, some looked decent, and the one by Xous of PokeBeach looked AWESOME. So, this could turn out either very good or very bad, but I'll wait and see on the 21st of February...

I'm also excited for the new gameplay that was hinted by Junichi Masuda earlier. Hopefully, this is inclusive of Light-types and a whole brand-new battle feature!
    That alone seems like it would make Pokemon thrive, not die...

JeTz

ジェット
    Years
    Nintendo doesn't stupid, if the game doesn't profit them on anything they wont even make and waste the time. They can just properly continue on working another game such as Mario. Basically they will just keep making Pokemon until it was really unpopular(which will not be happening on a sooner date)

Edin

NNNGOOOHHH!
    Years
    My 13 and 11 year old brothers love Pokémon. They even like the anime, something I definitely can go without. So while the 16+ year olds are bawwing about this being the end of Pokémon, there is a new generation of kids who are just now being introduced to the world of Pokémon. And just as you decide to no longer support Pokémon, these kids who don't know a thing about Gen. I will be calling themselves fans. They'll buy all the games you don't.

I think that's the point of having new generations anyway. Sure, you can have tons of fun completing your Pokédex, but it's not required. Each generation is supposed to be something fresh, unique. Even if it is connected to previous gens through evolutions and pre-evolutions, you can jump into the fandom with minimum background knowledge. That's part of the appeal. And if you want to know more? Go right ahead and catch 'em all.

Pokémon is one of those fandoms that is fortunate enough to lose as many fans as it gains.

iLaxbe!

by Duke R
    Years
    I think generation 5 is going to end up being a mini generation. A small generation that will prepare us for Generation 6, which will be on a new hand held.

ALSO, this isnt the first time two gens were released on the same hand held. Gen 1 and Gen 2 were both playable on Game Boy. And Game boy color is essentially the same as game boy. Its like the difference between DS and DSi
    Totally agree, by that we can remember that Pokémon Yellow was made for GBC (with higher colors than RGB). When Pokémon Crystal was released, GBA was already out for a long time. I wouldn't be surprised if the extended version
    (Ye/Cr/Em/Pt) of this Gen come in the 128-bit portable console.

Years
    i dont think it is, because, in japan, pokemon heart gold and soul silver were the 2nd most sold videogames.
    straight from wikipedia are the top five selling video games for the ds:
    Nintendo DS

Top ten Nintendo DS games.
    speaking of gen 5 have a looksee of what i found:
    Will Gen 5 be the death of Pokemon?

pokemon from gen five.

iLaxbe!

by Duke R
    Years
    My 13 and 11 year old brothers love Pokémon. They even like the anime, something I definitely can go without. So while the 16+ year olds are bawwing about this being the end of Pokémon, there is a new generation of kids who are just now being introduced to the world of Pokémon. And just as you decide to no longer support Pokémon, these kids who don't know a thing about Gen. I will be calling themselves fans. They'll buy all the games you don't.

I think that's the point of having new generations anyway. Sure, you can have tons of fun completing your Pokédex, but it's not required. Each generation is supposed to be something fresh, unique. Even if it is connected to previous gens through evolutions and pre-evolutions, you can jump into the fandom with minimum background knowledge. That's part of the appeal. And if you want to know more? Go right ahead and catch 'em all.

Pokémon is one of those fandoms that is fortunate enough to lose as many fans as it gains.
    Man (IDK if you're a guy or girl, but alright), you almost made me cry. It really touches me when I see a 10 year old boy start collecting cards, as I did at his age. Nothing else to say.

HeidiMoose

[Insert User Title Here]
    Years
    I'm personally anticipating Generation V to come out.
    I resisted Pokemon for a while when Generation IV came out. I hardly even played it when Gen III came out initially. I hated almost all the pokemon in DPPt at first. Then I bought the game and I was hooked for months. The new evolutions and the new pokemon eventually started to look natural to me.

Instead of anticipating Generation V to be "worse" than previous generations, I'm going to anticipate it to be just as enjoyable as the previous generations.

The two recently revealed pokemon make me smile, so hopefully the rest will too. :)

Waffle-San

Blue-Steel
    Years
    Meh, if Charizard came out in Generation 4 it'd be hated just as much as the rest of 'em. What Ethium says is true. My little cousins really enjoy their Emerald and LeafGreen version yet they were both shocked when I told them that LeafGreen was a remake. Pokemon will survive, it's marketed way to well.

Back