• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Will Nintendo ever do another Pokemon Stadium game?

Years
    • Seen Mar 2, 2017
    I'm an old school Poke'mon player, my heyday with Poke'mon, was 1998-2000, had the trading cards, but mainly just played it on the gameboy. I took that gameboy everywhere with me, even when other kids who were "too cool" for Poke'mon thought it was socially unacceptable for me to bring it to the lunch table during lunch time at school.

I haven't bought a Console since I bought a used PS2 slim close to, if not, 10 years ago. Oh and somewhere buried around my house is an old N64. I think we had a Sega Genesis for awhile too, also for retrogaming purposes.

As a member of the PC Gaming Master Race, I generally frown upon consoles, my PC does everything I want it to and more. Yes it does sort of suck that I can't seem to get good racing games like Forza on my PC (although as I understand it, finally Microsoft relented and put Forza on PC at long last).

My Skyrim alone has over 200 mods, some of them older mods, which will never be ported to Special Edition Skyrim on the Xbox by the original modders (also why I have not upgraded Skyrim to the new Special Edition on PC, because some of my favorite older Skyrim mods wouldn't work on it). When I play GTA V, I try to put in as many real life cars as possible, to replace the fake ones that come with the game.

All 3 Console manufacturers today, offer me pretty much nothing, besides a few games here and there, that I would buy a Console, and play, over playing games from my PC.

The 3DS XL is a rare exception, in that occasionally, I will pick it up and play it, since only Poke'mon GO is offered on my Cellphone, and I much prefer the 3DS version of Poke'mon, to that of Poke'mon GO.

Anyways back on track, right now about the only game in the WORLD, that I would be willing to *maybe* drop some money, and buy a Console, would be another Poke'mon Stadium, and the ability to transfer my Poke'mon's from the 3DS XL, to the Console, similar to how it was done on my Red/Blue cartridges onto the N64's Poke'mon Stadium, back when I was a kid.

These days the Console Poke'mon games I don't have much interest in, there was a Poke'mon fighting themed game, and then there's one I think called "Mystery Dungeon". Again, not in my interest. But I would be immensely interested in another Poke'mon Stadium that allowed my to transfer my Poke'mon from my 3DS XL, onto my house's LCD Flatscreen. Hell I might even buy a TV to put in my own room, just so I could play it here.

What's the word on this? To me, besides the anouncer's lines during battle which got super old, super fast, it was actually one of my favorite N64 Poke'mon games.

Then Nintendo went off on a tangent, and started making Poke'mon games that had nothing to do with the gameboy versions or the ability to put your own Poke'mon on your TV screen at home (Like Poke'mon Snap for example, which also got really old rather fast).

Years
    The thing is - There is no need to anymore.

The main selling point of the stadium games was 3d battling, but as handhelds have evolved, there is now 3d battling with the 3d overworld too. So at this point, a stadium game would serve no purpose anymore.

Years
    • Seen Mar 2, 2017
    For me, while the 3d aspect WAS a selling point but not the one and only, another huge selling point of Stadium, was the ability to put your poke'mon on a TV screen as opposed to sprites on a handheld device. What's a 3DS's screen size, 4.5"? Compare to 42" for my houses LCD flatscreen which is pretty standard for most households.

The N64 version, you couldn't hop online and battle other trainers on other parts of the planet. A Nintendo Switch would easily be capable of this. I'm aware you can also do this on the 3ds, but again, it's a 4.5" screen vs a 42" screen.

Plus I found the game rather challenging, unlike say, the Elite Four of Poke'mon Red and Blue.

It was Poke'mon Stadium that made it dawn upon me, that it was vastly more important for, say, a Water Poke'mon, to learn different elemental types of moves, than strictly Water moves. Or Charizard being able to know Solar Beam, for the occaisions it needs to battle Water-type Poke'mon.

That's what made me like Poke'mon stadium, actually I found it too difficult at the time, because you know if it was my Blastoise, vs the AI's Blastoise, the AI's Blastoise would win, because it knew some move that hard countered Water Poke'mon, and at best mine knew like Skull Bash or something.

Actually looking back on my childhood, it was N64's Poke'mon stadium that made me finally leave Poke'mon for the next 15 years, when I realized that I had a lot of Poke'mon that were no good for battling against other trainers. The Poke'mon I had spent the last 3 years training, were all vastly inferior to the AI's poke'mon when they only knew moves that they would benefit from STAB.

But that is also what makes me want the game back again because after I shelved Poke'mon for about 14 years I did finally learn and accept that crucial mistake I had made. The developers of Poke'mon Stadium, knew how to put up a challenge. The AI in Poke'mon X/Y that I play against, they're ridiculously easy to beat. If I can kill their poke'mon in one/2 moves, what's the point of waste a move to boost your attack or special attack?

X/Y, I strictly use it for breeding purposes now, the story and everything about it rather subpar. I'd much rather have Poke'mon stadium than just sit here hatching eggs all day in X/Y til I get the coveted 6 perfect IV's.

Mawa

The typo Queen
    Years
    The thing is - There is no need to anymore.

The main selling point of the stadium games was 3d battling, but as handhelds have evolved, there is now 3d battling with the 3d overworld too. So at this point, a stadium game would serve no purpose anymore.

.... the mini games would be fun online tho...

Honestly I love Poemon Stadium, but I can see the point where we don't need to anymore (I do miss the crappy movesets tho, but showdown on random kinda look like stadium for this point)

I think we don't need a new Pokemon stadium game, but we do need a new Pokemon Snap game....

Years
    • Seen Mar 2, 2017
    I'm just a little disappointed no one shares my views on this. It's difficult for a console developer to get me to drop money on a console, since my PC is far better in it's gaming capabilities than any Console on the market right now (i7-4790k, 16gb of 2400mhz RAM, 2xGTX 970's, hooked up to a 4K monitor) and I just listed the one game that might get me to buy a current (at this point in time) generation console, something I haven't done in probably 15 years, and no one agrees with me.

Poke'mon stadium, for me, was a tough game, that had a lot more potential entertainment value if I had stuck with it. They actually had competent AI and decent movesets for the Poke'mon teams, something that clearly wasn't carried over into my Poke'mon Y I currently play. Even the Elite Four is a joke, not unlike how I had the Elite Four so memorized in Poke'mon Red/Blue, they also posed absolutely no challenge (the biggest challenge I had in Poke'mon Red was Brock, the first gym trainer, and that's because I went with Charmander for my starter Poke'mon, whereas he was Rock). It's unfortunate that X/Y turned out to be the dullest Poke'mon game I've ever played and I basically only use it for hatching eggs and breeding IV's as it sits now.

edit: However Nintendo Switch is both a Mobile/Home Console gaming platform, looking to combine the two into one. I would not be surprised that Nintendo eventually will in fact phase out the 3ds, and the Switch's mobile gaming capabilities will replace it. Given that Poke'mon is the next largest franchise Nintendo has after Mario, I'm sure an 8th generation Poke'mon game, probably won't be on the 3ds (that is to say unless the Switch tanks in sales as bad as the Wii U did), in which case maybe we will get some Poke'mon games that can be played both on the TV screen, as well as mobile gaming.

Last edited:
    Years
    • Seen May 7, 2024
    No way Nintendo's replacing 3DS with the Switch man, the handhelds have been their only positive since they introduced Wii U (and even Wii eventually got eclipsed in a big way by Xbox360 and PS4 - my family won't be the only ones to find they've left batteries in their controllers unused for so long they exploded).

As people have said, now that there's 3d capabilities on the handhelds there is little to no reason for a pokémon game on the Switch or any future console. I imagine that would change if the Switch became a hit they might consider it, but given the dismal performance of the Wii U there was never any real chance of making a lot of money on a PBR sequel / similar game.

Years
    • Seen Mar 2, 2017
    No way Nintendo's replacing 3DS with the Switch man, the handhelds have been their only positive since they introduced Wii U (and even Wii eventually got eclipsed in a big way by Xbox360 and PS4 - my family won't be the only ones to find they've left batteries in their controllers unused for so long they exploded).

As people have said, now that there's 3d capabilities on the handhelds there is little to no reason for a pokémon game on the Switch or any future console. I imagine that would change if the Switch became a hit they might consider it, but given the dismal performance of the Wii U there was never any real chance of making a lot of money on a PBR sequel / similar game.

It really does depend on how the Switch performs. The 3ds pulled Nintendo's proverbial chestnuts out of the fire and practically saved the company from financial ruin (much like what happened to Sega after the Dreamcast was a flop, now they strictly publish games rather than make inhouse games, let alone consoles), after Wii U was an unmitigated disaster of a console. I recall reading, and feel free to correct me if these numbers are wrong, Nintendo thought they might sell as many as 100 million units world wide, they wound up selling a rather disastrous 13.2 million.

I haven't read an article about this specific topic in years, but IIRC one said that they sold far less Wii U's than they had planned, but as a backstop, they sold far more 3ds's than they had planned so it sort of evened out. Again, grain of salt, hearsay, do fact check me.

Also I'm not sure if you're directly referring to the "3d" option of the 3ds handheld device itself, or simply 3d imagery (as opposed to sprites), which we saw in Poke'mon Stadium back in 2000. Most TV's that households today don't have a "3d option" that the 3ds is capable of (furthermore it strains my eyes immensely when I turn it up all the way, so I use it minimally). But also, the Poke'mon utilize 3d imagery that the 3ds is capable of minimally. IIRC, again hearsay, so take it with a grain of salt, but Poke'mon X/Y only benefits from the 3d capability of the 3ds strictly during battles, and Poke'mon Sun/Moon, again, hearsay so correct me if I'm wrong, doesn't even utilize the 3ds's 3d capability at all.

The Switch definitely has some improvements over the Wii U, for sure, like more 3rd party support just as an example. IMO Nintendo lost out big time when big name titles that were albeit violent in nature were banished from using their platforms. Nintendo for some oddball reason for the longest time wanted to cater to children and family friendly titles, which I felt was a major mistake of the company going back to the mid-90's. I grew up in the late 80's with a Nintendo Entertainment System, I didn't want family friendly kids games when I was 4 years old, as much as I wanted to play the same games that the big/cool kids would played, which often weren't the Barbie game and such of the time period.

When they did the N64 even Goldeneye which was violent in nature was also one of the biggest games ever made for the N64, and I'm sure alone sold a lot of consoles. Also I briefly owned the game Turok, which was lesser known violent FPS of the time, but it got me to shell out $80 and jacked up store prices for a game (most money I ever spent on a single game in my entire life.)

More violent and mature audience games like GTA V like Bethesda games (Skyrim/Fallout 4) , were banned from being ported to Nintendo's consoles. I'm more of a "core" gamer than a "casual" gamer and those titles are my lifeblood, Skyrim alone is IMO the best game ever made (with the mods I've added that is, my Skyrim is almost nothing like what'd you get in it's vanilla form), and is still one of the top 20 most popular games on Steam, which is impressive given it's over 5 years after it's release, it's not "free to play" and is now an "old game" by most peoples standards, and yet still remains immensely popular. With the gargantuan mod support Skyrim gets, it's breathed a whole lot of life into my Skyrim, that the Vanilla game and DLC's could NEVER match (for example I can get free quest mods, which are practically DLC's people would shell out money for alone, had Bethesda been behind them), for an ordinary game, let alone any modless Nintendo title.

Skyrim and Zelda are both "High Fantasy" RPG's, but I haven't touched a Zelda title, and don't care to, since Ocarina of time. Skyrim w/mods, just did everything way better than any Nintendo Title RPG like Zelda could ever hope to achieve.

It's supposed to be a mix handheld/home console device. What does that say to me? Games that can be played on the handheld, will also be playable on the TV (which is what I liked the most about Poke'mon Stadium, only slightly more than going from sprites to 3d models).

Last edited:
    Years
    I mean if they were going to make another Stadium-esque game now would be the time with the Switch release to get even more hype surrounding the console, but tbh, the game would just be what is already on the 3DS, but on the big screen and with less content, due to the current Pokemon games having 3D graphics and great animations.

Years
    • Seen May 7, 2024
    Also I'm not sure if you're directly referring to the "3d" option of the 3ds handheld device itself, or simply 3d imagery (as opposed to sprites), which we saw in Poke'mon Stadium back in 2000. Most TV's that households today don't have a "3d option" that the 3ds is capable of (furthermore it strains my eyes immensely when I turn it up all the way, so I use it minimally). But also, the Poke'mon utilize 3d imagery that the 3ds is capable of minimally. IIRC, again hearsay, so take it with a grain of salt, but Poke'mon X/Y only benefits from the 3d capability of the 3ds strictly during battles, and Poke'mon Sun/Moon, again, hearsay so correct me if I'm wrong, doesn't even utilize the 3ds's 3d capability at all.

Yeah I was referring simply to 3D imagery - I have a 3D-capable television and although I remember it looking good to play Assassin's Creed Revelations with it, it just adds depth to the imagery - it's not like when I saw The Martian in 3D (only second ever film I'd seen in 3D after the Avengers sequel where I was too tired and kept having to remove the glasses) and was blown away. I'm also concerned that 3DS would strain my eyes. But yeah back to 3D imagery - I've played Battle Revolution on a really good tv and I'm not sure if it's simply the Wii being underpowered or what, but it looked pretty terrible and most screenshots of the more recent games look better than it did.

Back