• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

[Sword & Shield] Will you be using any of the new Pokémon on your team?

Years
I usually try and only use new mons or forms on my first playthrough, so that's a definite yes for me. I already know Galarian Ponyta is definitely on my team, too !

Years
I will not only use any of the new Pokémon, I will ONLY use the new ones until the story ends.

Years
  • Age 32
  • Seen Nov 5, 2021
Corviknight is definitely happening. I actually like Cramorant a lot too but probably will keep it for a later playthrough

Years
I will only be using new Pokemon in my team for Pokemon Shield and my team is called as:
1.Cinderace-Fire.
2.Purrzerker-Steel.
3.Cursola-Ghost.
4.Grimmsnarl-Dark/Fairy.
5.Toxtricity-Electric/Poison.
6.Frosmoth-Bug/Ice.

Years
  • Seen Jul 2, 2023
I think I'll use a mix of old and new. Outside of the starters, I've tried to avoid learning about too many of the unannounced new Pokémon from the leaks (I've seen images of some, seen names for others, and know nothing about some of them), so I figure I'll try different Pokémon as I go along. Given comments about the Exp Share, I'll probably use more than six Pokémon in my rotation again this time, so I figure I'll try out a bunch of the new Pokémon and see if any of them stand out to me. I like to give as many Pokémon a chance to impress me as possible, both old and new.

My current thoughts include:
-Sobble (my planned starter)
-Maybe the other starters. I would like to use Grookey. I might try Scorbunny, though I'm not overwhelmed. Frankly, I would probably be happier using Charizard as my fire type, though my impression is that I might get it too late in the game unless I trade.
-Pikachu. Pikachu is my second favorite Pokémon, and I pretty much always use one on my team. I might go with the Let's Go Pikachu-linked one, but I'm not sure yet.
-Other team members TBD, pending trial. I might throw in a couple of old favorites from my Gold team, like Noctowl and Quagsire.

Years
I always use new Pokemon for my first run of the game, and then switch to a mix for any sequels or third versions. It's fun working with the new pokemon and seeing what I can do.

Years
  • Age 27
  • Seen Nov 18, 2019
My general rule for new regions is that I only use new pokemon when playing through the games for the first time. It forces me to really get a feel for how the new generation looks in terms of usability.

Last edited:

Reyzadren

Arid trainer
Years
Well, there are only around 80 new pokemon added in this gen. So, it's statistically unlikely that I'll use any gen 8 pokemon on my team, I'll just say no :P

Back