• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Windows 7 Lag and Memory Usage

Years
    • Seen Apr 27, 2011
    Hello everyone. Lately, I've been having some problems with my machine. Suddenly, my machine was plagued with lag. Nothing extremely heavy, but it was significantly slower and laggier than normal. Firefox hung, MSN freezes from time to time, and everything was just a mess. I'm having problems multi-tasking things that I could've done a week ago with relative ease. My RAM usage has shot up. Normal RAM usage jumped to about 1.23GB out of 2GB when I had Firefox 4 and Winamp open, when it used to be far less than that. Svchost has gone up too. I thought either my HDD or RAM were failing, so I ran a check on both and it came out fine. Scanned with Malwarebytes, NOD32, and Windows Defender in Safe Mode and found no infections. Pretty much, I haven't found any signs that could lead to the jump. So, what do you guys think? Here's my system specs: Core 2 Duo CPU E6550 @ 2.33GHz 2GB DDR3 Memory Maxtor 6L300R0 (150GB) WDC WD 1600AAJS-60PSA0 (250GB) Intel 82945G MS-7267 Windows 7 Ultimate
    If your on 64bit OS then your computer cannot run with only 2gb ram no matter how fast the memory runs at it just will not work but if your on 32bit then you just probably have to add more ram or check for new drivers for your gpu BUT! your cpu is running slightly low, I suggest you change your fsb to get up to 2.6 ghz​

Years
    • Seen Jun 11, 2023
    If your on 64bit OS then your computer cannot run with only 2gb ram no matter how fast the memory runs at it just will not work but if your on 32bit then you just probably have to add more ram or check for new drivers for your gpu BUT! your cpu is running slightly low, I suggest you change your fsb to get up to 2.6 ghz​
    You need to brush up on what the difference between 64-bit and 32-bit is. None of the stuff you say are even true.

Dawn

[span="font-size:180%;font-weight:900;color:#a568f
    Years
  • I have windows 7 x64 and 2gb ram, my only problem is 2 weeks ago, the days prior to my first IE9, the interent explorer was fine and no memory leaks when I put music long on youtube, but when I installed IE9, the memory leaks more and after 20 minutes, the youtube video shows a grey dow with a white exclimation mark, scrolling up and down flickers, and sometimes the textures flickers too. When I downgraded to IE8, it still has same problems as IE9 do.

Well, um... hmm... never heard of this before. Memory leaks don't usually cause actual software failure from what I know, and rather usually just result in unusually high memory usage.

Please try installing either Google Chrome or Firefox to see if they function properly. I also don't think having 2 GB of RAM is your problem. You probably /should/ upgrade to 3-4 GB of RAM, but having low RAM usually just results in slowness, not software failure. (INB4 2GB should be enough. 3-4GB for heavy usage and 6-8GB for heavy gaming.) I honestly don't know what to tell you. If I were to take a wild guess I'd tell you to go ahead and upgrade to 3-4 GB of RAM, but to try taking out the old RAM and just putting the new one in first (especially if you upgrade to 4 GB since it'd be the same ammount) and see if the new RAM solves the problem. If that was the case there may be an actual problem with the old RAM. Given, I'm sure there's some way to test your RAM that doesn't involve spending money...

Ah, here. https://hcidesign.com/memtest/

This looks like what you'd be looking for to test your RAM for free. You have to enter the ammount of RAM you have in Megabytes. You have 2GB of RAM so that means you have 2048MB of RAM.

There's also this https://oca.microsoft.com/en/windiag.asp

That's straight from Microsoft, but it looks like more of a hassle to use.

Last edited:
    Years
    • Seen Aug 14, 2021

Well, um... hmm... never heard of this before. Memory leaks don't usually cause actual software failure from what I know, and rather usually just result in unusually high memory usage.

Please try installing either Google Chrome or Firefox to see if they function properly. I also don't think having 2 GB of RAM is your problem. You probably /should/ upgrade to 3-4 GB of RAM, but having low RAM usually just results in slowness, not software failure. (INB4 2GB should be enough. 3-4GB for heavy usage and 6-8GB for heavy gaming.) I honestly don't know what to tell you. If I were to take a wild guess I'd tell you to go ahead and upgrade to 3-4 GB of RAM, but to try taking out the old RAM and just putting the new one in first (especially if you upgrade to 4 GB since it'd be the same ammount) and see if the new RAM solves the problem. If that was the case there may be an actual problem with the old RAM. Given, I'm sure there's some way to test your RAM that doesn't involve spending money...

Ah, here. https://hcidesign.com/memtest/

This looks like what you'd be looking for to test your RAM for free. You have to enter the ammount of RAM you have in Megabytes. You have 2GB of RAM so that means you have 2048MB of RAM.

There's also this https://oca.microsoft.com/en/windiag.asp

That's straight from Microsoft, but it looks like more of a hassle to use.

Google Chrome works, but before I installed ie9, I had about 50% used ram, and now my IE9 uses a lot of memory when I either use it above 20 minutes or leave it. My IE9 crashes more often and shows weird blocks on the Home Favorite and Settings button on the top-right.

On the rest of the programs and Google Chrome, it works fine using great amonut of ram and speed, I think it's my IE9 thats crashing and not others that I know with same ram as I have.

Edit: My AVG found a virus yesterday that made IE9 unstable, now the ram uses about 70%, even if I use it above 20 minutes, but I will still plan to get 4gb ram incase if something like that happens again.

Last edited:

Demigod

umop ap!sdn
    Years
  • If you don't have something like these already, download them:

Ccleaner
    https://www.piriform.com/ccleaner

Smart Defrag to defrag HD. https://www.iobit.com/iobitsmartdefrag.html

What is Smart Defrag?

It is known that disk fragments has been a primary cause of slow and unstable PC performance. Smart Defrag 2 is such a FREE tool that provides extremely fast and efficient defragmentation to your hard drives intelligently for faster file loading and high disk performance. With "install it and forget it" feature, Smart Defrag 2 works automatically and quietly in the background on your PC, keeping your hard disk running at its top speed.​

Also Make sure your computer is clean.. if not this can cause the processer to over heat and slow the computer down and cause it to shut down. Make sure all the fans are clean. Also if you pull the CPU Fan to clean the heat sink make sure you put new thermal compound or you will have all sorts of problems. Someone I know just went through this and was about ready to throw the computer out. Works great now and even faster.

-Kep

GlaceonX

-Glomps- Hii everybody
    Years
  • SVChost..... I dun't know about that, the only time I had SVChost f up in my W7 was when I got a virus, and the virus didn't get picked up by anything o.o I'd say reformat

Years
    • Seen Jun 11, 2023
    You need to brush up on Windows 7. There is something that runs automatically on a schedule every so many days on Windows 7 that older Windows OS didn't do.

CCleaner will clean out junk files and registry but apart from the registry cleaning it won't really help the lag issue. Changing startup programs might as well be done on msconfig since that way you can edit services as well.

Reformatting would solve everything if you do it right...

Masqueraine

Banned
    Years
    • Seen Jul 25, 2011
    I've been running windows 7 from a laptop for a bit now, it still runs as smoothly as it did when I got it. There's a few things that could be wrong, but out of them I think the operating system is the least of your problems.

Any computer will start to run slowly if you don't manage your space and usage according to your specs. Running ccleaner every once in awhile is a good idea for general computer maintenance, and will help keep the registry in order. Defraggler is a nice tool to use as well, but not as useful if you aren't downloading and moving around a lot of things.

Other than that all I can suggest is using chrome, in my experience it's been great. It's never crashed on me and I like its simplistic interface, that's just me though. Use whatever you like but if speed is your concern and you're computer is lagging, I wouldn't suggest firefox.

If you think you have a virus I suggest downloading either AVG or Malwarebytes, both have free versions and work great.

Years
  • You need to brush up on Windows 7. There is something that runs automatically on a schedule every so many days on Windows 7 that older Windows OS didn't do.

CCleaner will clean out junk files and registry but apart from the registry cleaning it won't really help the lag issue. Changing startup programs might as well be done on msconfig since that way you can edit services as well.
    Don't be so hasty to reject 3rd party defragging tools. Although Windows 7 does some sort of defragmenting by default, it's not a very good tool. Defraggler and the like will find and fix much more in the way of fragmented files. I have had Windows 7 machines that have come back to life by running a 3rd party tool. The inbuilt one just sucks.

Also, you're absolutely right about clearing startup items in msconfig, but CCleaner, within reason, can help to speed things up slightly by killing off orphaned/corrupt registry keys and cached files that the system will come across, slowing it down. Of course, the difference is minimal, though.

I'm not too keen on users playing with the Services list in msconfig. Startup items are fine, but services should be left alone unless you really know what's happening.

If you think you have a virus I suggest downloading either AVG or Malwarebytes, both have free versions and work great.
    AVG is rubbish. If you're hunting something down, use Avira, but for something permanent, use MSE.

Brane

-
    Years
    • Age 30
    • Seen May 10, 2016
    Here are a few things I have done to speed up my computer that tiny bit :P.

#1 Start > regedit(type it in) > HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE > SYSTEM > CurrentControlSet > Control > Session Manager > Memory Management > Prefetch Parameters > EnableSuperFetch and then change the value to 0.
    #2 Start > windows features(type it in like before) > Disable games in the popup > Then go to Microsoft NET Framework and check off the two things > Then uncheck Tablet PC components and then hit OK.
    #3 Start > Run > %temp% > Ctrl + A and delete all the files, skip the ones you can't.
    #4 Start > Run > prefetch > Same as #3.

And the last thing is just graphics options on the computer, unless of course you like all the unnecessary features that come with Windows 7.

#5 Start > right-click computer > Advanced system settings > Performance settings and then click Adjust for best performance.

All the steps I mentioned above are basically what all those paid computer cleaning programs do.

Hope I helped :D

Years
    • Seen Jun 11, 2023
    Don't be so hasty to reject 3rd party defragging tools. Although Windows 7 does some sort of defragmenting by default, it's not a very good tool. Defraggler and the like will find and fix much more in the way of fragmented files. I have had Windows 7 machines that have come back to life by running a 3rd party tool. The inbuilt one just sucks.

Unless the machine is running off of an extremely slow hard drive, defragging really doesn't do much in Windows 7. Built in defragmenter does suck but it does the job. 3rd party defragmenter isn't going to affect speed that much at all.

Also, you're absolutely right about clearing startup items in msconfig, but CCleaner, within reason, can help to speed things up slightly by killing off orphaned/corrupt registry keys and cached files that the system will come across, slowing it down. Of course, the difference is minimal, though.
    The point of CCleaner is to free up space for temp use, not quite as much on speed. Yeah, registry errors will help, but as we both said, minimal. Really though, there are better registry cleaners out there than CCleaner.

AVG is rubbish. If you're hunting something down, use Avira, but for something permanent, use MSE.
    If you really need to hunting something down you shouldn't be using any protection software but antimalware software that is designed only for scanning. Malwarebytes + SuperAntiSpyware+Hijackthis will get most of the stuff with the exception of nastier rootkits.

Years
  • Unless the machine is running off of an extremely slow hard drive, defragging really doesn't do much in Windows 7. Built in defragmenter does suck but it does the job. 3rd party defragmenter isn't going to affect speed that much at all.
    I can't agree, sorry. The difference that Defraggler can make on a badly fragmented drive is astounding. I've seen far too many cases in which the default Windows 7 Defrag program has let things get messy, only to be defragged properly by something else. Trust me, run the analysis with Defraggler and see what it says.

If you really need to hunting something down you shouldn't be using any protection software but antimalware software that is designed only for scanning. Malwarebytes + SuperAntiSpyware+Hijackthis will get most of the stuff with the exception of nastier rootkits.
    MWB and SAS sure do a great job, but they're not enough. I scan with either ESET or Avira (or both) initially and externally (either via a locked-down system or a live disc), as there are certain things that only the AVs pick up. Especially considering the antimalware apps are running inside the infected OS (SAS is moody under safe mode, also) so they can't touch certain stuff. And they can't perform properly when ran externally.

If you have Rootkits playing around, then external scans have a better chance at finding and fixing them (this often means killing & replacing the components, be it explorer, rundll32 or the MBR).

In terms of protection vs hunting software, I recommended Avira for that reason. It isn't the best protection software, mainly because it's paranoid and not pretty, but being a paranoid yet fast scanner is very helpful for this exact usage. Also, the live CD for Avira is brilliant. And that's obviously on-demand only.

I know you know this, but HiJackThis doesn't actually do anything on its own - the user needs to be able to remove the right objects. Which brings me back to using CCleaner over other registry optimisers - the user can't necessarily make a judgement on which components are dodgy in HJT and shouldn't be given too much power over the registry unless they KNOW what they're doing. CCleaner is pretty much idiot-proof, so they shouldn't do any damage.

What you said before about reformatting is very true - it's usually the cleanest option if a system is too badly infected, as there can be remnants lying dormant. That said, in Purple Materia's case here, the install wasn't very old, so it's very drastic.

Speaking of Purple, are you reading your own thread anymore, mate? :cer_laugh: :P

Years
    • Seen Jun 11, 2023
    I can't agree, sorry. The difference that Defraggler can make on a badly fragmented drive is astounding. I've seen far too many cases in which the default Windows 7 Defrag program has let things get messy, only to be defragged properly by something else. Trust me, run the analysis with Defraggler and see what it says.
    This is coming from a long time of IT experience. Defraggler doesn't really do much on 7 compared to older systems like 2000, with the exception of pathetic hard drives. You're talking to a guy who managed to squeeze 10+ years out of a laptop with Windows 2000. I'm fully aware of what Defragging can do, but on Windows 7 it really doesn't do anywhere nearly as much.

MWB and SAS sure do a great job, but they're not enough. I scan with either ESET or Avira (or both) initially and externally (either via a locked-down system or a live disc), as there are certain things that only the AVs pick up. Especially considering the antimalware apps are running inside the infected OS (SAS is moody under safe mode, also) so they can't touch certain stuff. And they can't perform properly when ran externally.
    Sorry to say, that logic doesn't work. No scanner will pick up everything, so your logic is to use other scanners instead AND scan multiple times using same scanners? Not everyone has that much time to fool around with and 99% of the clients I deal with don't have that much time either. MWB/SAS combo almost always gets the easy stuff like fake antiviruses, and for the nastier stuff you can find specific cleaners or just reformat.
    Here is a case similar to what my coworker had, for example: https://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/topic335310.html
    This did the trick: https://support.kaspersky.com/viruses/solutions?qid=208280684

If you have Rootkits playing around, then external scans have a better chance at finding and fixing them (this often means killing & replacing the components, be it explorer, rundll32 or the MBR).
    Like I said, for nastier stuff you need to find a specific cleaner for that kind of rootkit or just reformat. Avira has fallen out of taste in the IT community (around where I am anyway) for awhile now. We usually recommend MSE for protection and use of specific cleaners with MWB/SAS for malware busting.

In terms of protection vs hunting software, I recommended Avira for that reason. It isn't the best protection software, mainly because it's paranoid and not pretty, but being a paranoid yet fast scanner is very helpful for this exact usage. Also, the live CD for Avira is brilliant. And that's obviously on-demand only.
    You'd be surprised at how many clients I get that come in with Avira, haha. And you're going down the inconvinient&time-consuming road again.

Which brings me back to using CCleaner over other registry optimisers - the user can't necessarily make a judgement on which components are dodgy in HJT and shouldn't be given too much power over the registry unless they KNOW what they're doing. CCleaner is pretty much idiot-proof, so they shouldn't do any damage.
    It's actually rather easy to tell which ones are shady from using Hijackthis. CCleaner rarely, if ever, detects the shady registry stuff, so you should NEVER rely on CCleaner to clean the shady stuff. If you really want to optimize the registry to the death there are better ones out there than CCleaner. And people shouldn't be using hijackthis to optimize the registry so your logic here doesn't work.

That said, in Purple Materia's case here, the install wasn't very old, so it's very drastic.
    You know, we recommend that people reformat once every year or so and for a good reason too. Think about why we would do that.

DarkAlucard

Seek me. Call me...
    Years
  • The option of Tune Up 2010/2011, turbo mode can solve many of your problems. What happens is that Windows, when you update via Windows Update, increases power and performance but also requires more hardware to run. So if you've updated constantly, your 2GB of RAM and your 2 + GHz processor no longer support Windows 7.
    If you use a PC with 3 GB of RAM, 2 GHz dual core processor, hard drive 200 + GB and all except Windows 7 Ultimate, you will not have any problem to update or install Firefox 4 or any other program.

Years
  • This is coming from a long time of IT experience. Defraggler doesn't really do much on 7 compared to older systems like 2000, with the exception of pathetic hard drives. You're talking to a guy who managed to squeeze 10+ years out of a laptop with Windows 2000. I'm fully aware of what Defragging can do, but on Windows 7 it really doesn't do anywhere nearly as much.
    As much? Of course not. Effective in the right situations? Yes.

Sorry to say, that logic doesn't work. No scanner will pick up everything, so your logic is to use other scanners instead AND scan multiple times using same scanners? Not everyone has that much time to fool around with and 99% of the clients I deal with don't have that much time either. MWB/SAS combo almost always gets the easy stuff like fake antiviruses, and for the nastier stuff you can find specific cleaners or just reformat.
    Here is a case similar to what my coworker had, for example: https://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/topic335310.html
    This did the trick: https://support.kaspersky.com/viruses/solutions?qid=208280684
    I'm not sure you understood me. I was stating what I found to be the set of apps that cover each other's "weaknesses" most of the time. I never said anything about repeating the same scans twice... :/ It's all well and good to get a job out the door quickly, but the certainty that there's nothing lying dormant is worth just as much - letting something out that's not 100% clean is going to tarnish your business image more than an extra few hours of downtime. Unless of course, you're in the business sector, where downtime is brutal - but they be whitelisted and behind hardware firewalls, so the likelihood of the same sorts of infections are very low. Nor do they only have one system capable of any job.

In the consumer market, customers can afford downtime when it means a more in-depth clean. Onsite work is a different case, but doing this sort of work onsite is usually ineffective and inconvenient.

What I'm saying is, MWB/SAS just aren't enough. TDSSKiller and the like are great for what they do, but if you have one rootkit, I'd be concerned that it's not the only thing on the machine.
    Like I said, for nastier stuff you need to find a specific cleaner for that kind of rootkit or just reformat. Avira has fallen out of taste in the IT community (around where I am anyway) for awhile now. We usually recommend MSE for protection and use of specific cleaners with MWB/SAS for malware busting.

You'd be surprised at how many clients I get that come in with Avira, haha. And you're going down the inconvinient&time-consuming road again.
    That's why I mentioned Avira from a scanning point-of-view, but not protection. AFAIK, MSE doesn't offer a LiveCD scanner and most of the other companies don't offer anything as effective in this case. ESET is used for a scan when the drive is removed, but in-place, Avira is brilliant. And however anecdotal it may be, I've seen far more clients have MSE let something through than Avira. Especially in the FakeAV department.

That said, we still recommend MSE, purely because it's the easiest for customers to deal with, while still being moderately effective.

It's actually rather easy to tell which ones are shady from using Hijackthis. CCleaner rarely, if ever, detects the shady registry stuff, so you should NEVER rely on CCleaner to clean the shady stuff. If you really want to optimize the registry to the death there are better ones out there than CCleaner. And people shouldn't be using hijackthis to optimize the registry so your logic here doesn't work.

I'm not calling them equivalent tools, at all. I'm talking about their "audience", for lack of a better term. Anyone who knows what they are doing shouldn't have trouble with HJT, but your normal user that managed to get the machine infected/clogged in the first place will be lost/in danger of cutting components they need.

CCleaner, despite having a completely different function, was mentioned because it's safe. People can't usually do much damage and it asks them to do a backup of the registry in-case.

As such, it's perfectly appropriate to suggest using CCleaner on a forum such as this, but HTJ requires hand-holding. This difference is the ONLY way in which they were being compared.

You know, we recommend that people reformat once every year or so and for a good reason too. Think about why we would do that.
    Keep 'em on their toes :cer_laugh:

Enjoying the discussion, keep it up :D

Years
    • Seen Jun 11, 2023
    As much? Of course not. Effective in the right situations? Yes.
    Effective in the right situations? Not really. Unless the hard drive is that pathetic, in which case the hard drive should be upgraded.

It's all well and good to get a job out the door quickly, but the certainty that there's nothing lying dormant is worth just as much - letting something out that's not 100% clean is going to tarnish your business image more than an extra few hours of downtime.
    You are sounding like one of those guys that I have to train. Time is brutal, and I don't think you're understanding the degree of speed & efficiency I'm talking about here. If something ever gets infected to the degree that one specific hunter won't do the job, then it's a hell of a lot safer and faster to reformat. Why bother wasting the client's (and my) time with multiple scans when if it's something really nasty that chances are the OS is screwed up anyway? In such cases even tools more respected than Avira like ComboFix have a high chance of screwing something up.

Most of the time it's rather obvious if a system is infected with many things or just one thing. If it's something easy like a fake AV, MWB & SAS combo almost always does the trick (every now and then there might be something where I use Kapersky for it instead). Like I said, Avira has fallen out of favor here for awhile now even as hunting software. It really isn't that great as a rootkit removal or removal of simpler antimalware compared to MWB, SAS, or Kapersky from what I've observed.

ESET is used for a scan when the drive is removed, but in-place, Avira is brilliant. And however anecdotal it may be, I've seen far more clients have MSE let something through than Avira. Especially in the FakeAV department.
    Quite to the contrary. You've seem to fallen in love with Avira. Yes, the rescue system is useful. Extremely rarely, but in such rare situations it is. But by that point you're probably better off reformatting after using Linux live disk to back up files. But other than that Avira doesn't really offer much else.

I'd argue that MSE is extremely effective given what it costs. Actually, I'd use Kapersky instead but unfortunately Kapersky isn't free. I actually haven't seen that many clients with MSE that came in with problems. 99% of the time it's one of the antiviruses you have to pay for or free AVs on downfall like AVG or Avira.

I'm not calling them equivalent tools, at all. I'm talking about their "audience", for lack of a better term. Anyone who knows what they are doing shouldn't have trouble with HJT, but your normal user that managed to get the machine infected/clogged in the first place will be lost/in danger of cutting components they need.
    CCleaner's sole purpose is to clean out the crap. That is a whole different issue here. When you deal with an infected system you completely forget about CCleaner till the infection is gone. I like using CCleaner to help optimizing computers, but CCleaner should NOT be used on an infected system until everything else has been taken care of, period.

Keep 'em on their toes :cer_laugh:
    Nope think again. Let me give you a funny case here to think about. What do you do with a computer that spits out random advertisements even in safe mode? Hint: Avira doesn't work.

Years
  • Effective in the right situations? Not really. Unless the hard drive is that pathetic, in which case the hard drive should be upgraded.
    I beg to differ. As I stated before, I have gone through with 3rd party defragging tools and had them restore systems to a snappier state, even as of Windows 7.
    You are sounding like one of those guys that I have to train. Time is brutal, and I don't think you're understanding the degree of speed & efficiency I'm talking about here. If something ever gets infected to the degree that one specific hunter won't do the job, then it's a hell of a lot safer and faster to reformat. Why bother wasting the client's (and my) time with multiple scans when if it's something really nasty that chances are the OS is screwed up anyway? In such cases even tools more respected than Avira like ComboFix have a high chance of screwing something up.
    Come on now, no need to try and belittle me. I will reformat if a system is infected beyond a certain point, but as I said before, time urgency depends on the customers. When you're dealing with the general "mums and dads" consumer market that I do, they don't mind waiting an extra few hours before they pick their computers up if it means they can keep things the way they were. Especially older customers. It might be faster to reformat, but keep in mind you then need to reinstall all of the programs (or they do, but either way) and this takes time, itself.

Most of the time it's rather obvious if a system is infected with many things or just one thing. If it's something easy like a fake AV, MWB & SAS combo almost always does the trick (every now and then there might be something where I use Kapersky for it instead). Like I said, Avira has fallen out of favor here for awhile now even as hunting software. It really isn't that great as a rootkit removal or removal of simpler antimalware compared to MWB, SAS, or Kapersky from what I've observed.
    I mentioned it (and MSE) because it's one of the better free options when someone was considering downloading something. It's also an option in the cases where (I'm not condoning it) people don't have a legitimate version of Windows disallowing the use of MSE. I'm talking about the thread in this case. Kaspersky IS better than Avira (which I'm not calling an all-purpose tool, don't put words in my mouth), but it doesn't have a good rescue disk and it's not free.
    Quite to the contrary. You've seem to fallen in love with Avira. Yes, the rescue system is useful. Extremely rarely, but in such rare situations it is. But by that point you're probably better off reformatting after using Linux live disk to back up files. But other than that Avira doesn't really offer much else.
    I don't even use Avira on my own computer, if that helps clarify my "undying love" for it. In the case where MWB craps out in Safe mode, I'll (sometimes) use a live Avira scan, because it can be done in place, rather than moving the drive out. If it takes out any system files/MBR, then there's nothing to stop you backing up and reinstalling, but this time you have less risk of transferring infected files. As I said, most external scans are done with ESET, which is definitely better.

I'd argue that MSE is extremely effective given what it costs. Actually, I'd use Kapersky instead but unfortunately Kapersky isn't free. I actually haven't seen that many clients with MSE that came in with problems. 99% of the time it's one of the antiviruses you have to pay for or free AVs on downfall like AVG or Avira.
    I never said MSE wasn't effective, I was just comparing my experience rates.

CCleaner's sole purpose is to clean out the crap. That is a whole different issue here. When you deal with an infected system you completely forget about CCleaner till the infection is gone. I like using CCleaner to help optimizing computers, but CCleaner should NOT be used on an infected system until everything else has been taken care of, period.
    Uh... when did I ever suggest it as a security tool? I suggest you read what I write in full.

Nope think again. Let me give you a funny case here to think about. What do you do with a computer that spits out random advertisements even in safe mode? Hint: Avira doesn't work.
    In the event that external scans from anything (that INCLUDES MWB, ESET) don't work, then it's obvious to BFR. I'd sort of hope that the :cer_laugh: face would point out the sarcasm, but I can use BBCode tags if that works. :P

What area are you working in? Because that has a LOT to do with how to approach jobs.

Years
    • Seen Jun 11, 2023
    I beg to differ. As I stated before, I have gone through with 3rd party defragging tools and had them restore systems to a snappier state, even as of Windows 7.
    You're overestimating the effect of defragging again. Chances are optimizing registry and whatnot will do far more in Windows 7 systems than defragging.

Come on now, no need to try and belittle me. I will reformat if a system is infected beyond a certain point, but as I said before, time urgency depends on the customers. When you're dealing with the general "mums and dads" consumer market that I do, they don't mind waiting an extra few hours before they pick their computers up if it means they can keep things the way they were. Especially older customers. It might be faster to reformat, but keep in mind you then need to reinstall all of the programs (or they do, but either way) and this takes time, itself.
    Reinstalling drivers and programs definitely don't take as many hours that even a single scan takes (usually). I can tell you that right now. Now you're sounding a bit more like someone who knows the wonders of reformatting.

I don't think you fully understand what I'm saying here. Sure, you could take 8 hours to solve a problem and the client may not mind. But which is going to make the client happier? 8 hours on a case or 2? Hell, which is going to make us happier?

I don't even use Avira on my own computer, if that helps clarify my "undying love" for it. In the case where MWB craps out in Safe mode, I'll (sometimes) use a live Avira scan, because it can be done in place, rather than moving the drive out. If it takes out any system files/MBR, then there's nothing to stop you backing up and reinstalling, but this time you have less risk of transferring infected files. As I said, most external scans are done with ESET, which is definitely better.
    If you ask me people who pirate stuff might as well go without using antivirus because they better know what they are doing. Kapersky's removal tool is free, btw.
    Again, your route is scanning and then reformatting if deemed necessary, but that's additional hours and risk of leaving stuff you didn't catch. If something goes far beyond your every day scanners like MWB, SAS, then it's specific cleaners (if you know what it is) or reformatting. This is why you google the malware you have before doing anything if you don't know what it is. UBCD4WIN is a good tool to use if external scans are necessary. Around here ESET isn't really used that much.

Uh... when did I ever suggest it as a security tool? I suggest you read what I write in full.
    We were basically only talking about malware removal and hijackthis when you brought the CCleaner issue in. I suggest that you read what you wrote, because you certainly did sound like you were suggesting CCleaner as a registry "scanner" type of tool.

What area are you working in? Because that has a LOT to do with how to approach jobs.
    No duh, I sure hope you got all the clues that I've been shooting away at you. I work in a university/business setting, so our team is held to the fastest, most efficient standard. That also means if something goes beyond your everyday scanners/specific scanners/maybe external if situation requires it like computer that won't boot our team members will reformat, which is the safest route anyway (and you don't need to do any optimization afterwards).

Years
  • You're overestimating the effect of defragging again. Chances are optimizing registry and whatnot will do far more in Windows 7 systems than defragging.
    You're right, but fragmentation rarely comes into it, mostly the cause is startup items, etc. All I said was that there are cases, in which fragmentation has become and issue, where 3rd party tools work. I'm just saying the Windows in-built tool isn't the best.

Reinstalling drivers and programs definitely don't take as many hours that even a single scan takes (usually). I can tell you that right now. Now you're sounding a bit more like someone who knows the wonders of reformatting.
    But when you're dealing with 20-odd computers at once, then you don't have to babysit each one during a scan. Press and walk away. This is of importance when it comes to a large parallel volume of computers over a rapid turn-around on each computer.

I don't think you fully understand what I'm saying here. Sure, you could take 8 hours to solve a problem and the client may not mind. But which is going to make the client happier? 8 hours on a case or 2? Hell, which is going to make us happier?
    In your case, that's perfectly right. But in a business setting, people shouldn't be straying too far from the stock image you would use. Whereas in my case, people often have computers for up to 8 years (that's into "set it on fire and buy a new one territory"), during which time, they get things set up a certain way, to the point where I've seen people freak out because their desktop icons have moved slightly. These people rarely need things for 24/7 work, so the ability to keep it in the same condition remains more important to them. And at the end of the day, in a retail setting, keeping people happy is more crucial (don't think for a minute that I'm saying it's not important for you), because further business and henceforth income is directly affected by their opinion.

If you ask me people who pirate stuff might as well go without using antivirus because they better know what they are doing. Kapersky's removal tool is free, btw.
    Yeah, well I didn't argue that. But when suggestion over a thread, you can't be sure what they have. Besides, that was more of a figure of conversation than anything :D. I know the removal tools are free (assuming you're talking about TDSS killer and the likes here?)

Again, your route is scanning and then reformatting if deemed necessary, but that's additional hours and risk of leaving stuff you didn't catch. If something goes far beyond your every day scanners like MWB, SAS, then it's specific cleaners (if you know what it is) or reformatting. This is why you google the malware you have before doing anything if you don't know what it is. UBCD4WIN is a good tool to use if external scans are necessary. Around here ESET isn't really used that much.
    I'll look into UBCD4WIN, cheers. ESET is a great tool, it's just a shame that OEM licenses are so expensive compared to everything else.

We were basically only talking about malware removal and hijackthis when you brought the CCleaner issue in. I suggest that you read what you wrote, because you certainly did sound like you were suggesting CCleaner as a registry "scanner" type of tool.
    Well I agree that it was a messy explanation, sorry. Just a misunderstanding, I suppose.

No duh, I sure hope you got all the clues that I've been shooting away at you. I work in a university/business setting, so our team is held to the fastest, most efficient standard. That also means if something goes beyond your everyday scanners/specific scanners/maybe external if situation requires it like computer that won't boot our team members will reformat, which is the safest route anyway (and you don't need to do any optimization afterwards).
    Yeah, looking at it from that perspective, our own methods are just fitting to our environment, hence the disagreement. That said, you've got some interesting points that I will take on board and think about.

Good chat :D Anything further should probably go via VM/PM though. We're creating walls of text.

Years
    • Seen Jun 11, 2023
    You're right, but fragmentation rarely comes into it, mostly the cause is startup items, etc. All I said was that there are cases, in which fragmentation has become and issue, where 3rd party tools work. I'm just saying the Windows in-built tool isn't the best.
    If there's a computer that pathetic enough that 3rd party defragglers are necessary, then it's time for an upgrade. For 99% of computers good enough to handle 7 built in tool should suffice.

But when you're dealing with 20-odd computers at once, then you don't have to babysit each one during a scan. Press and walk away. This is of importance when it comes to a large parallel volume of computers over a rapid turn-around on each computer.
    You don't have to for reformatting either.

Whereas in my case, people often have computers for up to 8 years (that's into "set it on fire and buy a new one territory"), during which time, they get things set up a certain way, to the point where I've seen people freak out because their desktop icons have moved slightly.
    Please tell me you don't actually set computers on fire. Otherwise let me know where you live so I can send the environmentalists all over you.

These people rarely need things for 24/7 work, so the ability to keep it in the same condition remains more important to them. And at the end of the day, in a retail setting, keeping people happy is more crucial (don't think for a minute that I'm saying it's not important for you), because further business and henceforth income is directly affected by their opinion.
    Actually, in settings like yours it makes sense to leave something behind so that those people come back to you in like a month. Smart plan of yours, I see. :cool:

I'll look into UBCD4WIN, cheers. ESET is a great tool, it's just a shame that OEM licenses are so expensive compared to everything else.
    I wonder why I don't use ESET...

Good chat :D Anything further should probably go via VM/PM though. We're creating walls of text.
    I like walls of text. Makes it feel like something is actually going on. :badsmile:

Back