• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Winter 2009

twocows

The not-so-black cat of ill omen
Years
  • The winter 2009 anime season is almost upon us! Here's what's airing this winter (source), and my verdict on each:
    Baka to Test to Shokanjuu
    School battle monster comedy. Looks like it might be appealing to the right crowd, but definitely not my thing.
    Chu-Bra!!
    Fanservice incarnate. Pass.
    Durarara!!
    Urban gang brawl fantasy monsters. Fans of the genre may want to check this out, but again, it's not really my thing.
    Dance in the Vampire Bund
    Vampires. Is there Alucard in it? No? Pass.
    Hanamaru Kindergarten
    Somewhere between kindergartners and breast inflation, they lost me. Pass.
    Harukanaru 3
    History stuff. Not a fan, pass.
    Hidamari Sketch – Triple Star
    New season of some typical slice of life whatever. I'd watch a little if it was the first season, but since it's not, pass.
    Ookami Kakushi
    Horror. Maybe I'll watch, but unlikely; I tend to shy away from horror.
    Katanagatari
    A historical anime with a different art style and a few other things that seem like they set it apart. Still, it's historical, which has historically (hehe) been a genre I don't care about. I probably won't bother.
    Ladies vs Butlers
    Harem anime. Or should I say, really cliche harem anime. Not even worth a look.
    Nodame Cantabile Finale
    Third season of a series I didn't even care about originally. No thanks.
    Omamori Himari
    Childhood friend, neko samurai, protagonist that is allergic to cats; HIJINKS ENSUE. I'll probably watch this one; it seems to suit my fancy. PLUS THERE IS A NEKO SAMURAI I MEAN COME ON.
    Qwaser no Stigmata
    Battle anime with lots of fanservice. Pass.
    Sora no Woto
    K-ON! with war? Count me in.

Also, the second Eden of the East movie will be airing in March, and I'll DEFINITELY watch that. :D

Last edited:

twocows

Years
  • Eh, I usually abstain from following an anime and instead watch it all on my own time, but Sora no Woto looks eye catching. I might go back on my usual policy for this one xD
    The upcoming season has an unusual number of anime that are good, but not what I want to watch. Sora no Woto is one of the few series I'm really excited about. I can imagine about two or three directions the series could go, and I'd be happy with any of them.

Also, here's a promo.

Last edited:

twocows

Years
  • I just can't wait for Durarara!! because Bacanno! was Bacanno! and yeah.
    I might give it a go, but I'd have to watch Bacanno! first. It doesn't really seem like something I'd be interested in, though. I tend to stay away from that sort of thing.

Years
  • The upcoming season has an unusual number of anime that are good, but not what I want to watch. Sora no Woto is one of the few series I'm really excited about. I can imagine about two or three directions the series could go, and I'd be happy with any of them.

Also, here's a promo.
    Yep, definitely adding it to my watchlist now :3 It's also nice that the series is kept to a compact 13 episodes.

twocows

Years

• Yep, definitely adding it to my watchlist now :3 It's also nice that the series is kept to a compact 13 episodes.
    With a few exceptions, my interest in a show tends to be inversely related to the number of episodes there are. In general, I like shorter runs. CCS is one of the few (major) exceptions to this rule; 70 episodes and 2 movies and yet I still want more. :'( But yeah, most of my favorite series are 13 episodes, a few are 26, and one is 70. :3

Kotowari

Will be back eventually
    Years
  • Hmmm... I don't see anything that seems word watching. I am however considering watching the first season of Harukanaru Toki no Nake da -etc-.
    I absolutely adored Fushigi Yuugi, it's prequel Genbu Kaiden even more, and Saiunkoku Monogatari. Apparently it seems to be a little like those two. I was convinced that it looked like FushiYu when I read "a girl who becomes the priestess of the Dragon God and searches for her 8 warriors". How is that different from " a girl is sucked into a the book of "the universe of the 4 gods" and she has to find her 7 Celestial Warriors in order to summon the god and have her wish granted"?

Ah, well, I'll watch it. :3

twocows

Years
  • Hmmm... I don't see anything that seems word watching. I am however considering watching the first season of Harukanaru Toki no Nake da -etc-.
    I absolutely adored Fushigi Yuugi, it's prequel Genbu Kaiden even more, and Saiunkoku Monogatari. Apparently it seems to be a little like those two. I was convinced that it looked like FushiYu when I read "a girl who becomes the priestess of the Dragon God and searches for her 8 warriors". How is that different from " a girl is sucked into a the book of "the universe of the 4 gods" and she has to find her 7 Celestial Warriors in order to summon the god and have her wish granted"?

Ah, well, I'll watch it. :3
    I didn't really like Fushigi Yuugi, and it's not just because girls getting sucked into history has become a cliche (that's tolerable given its age). The biggest problem was that I didn't like the characters, which tends to ruin a series for me. Regardless, I'm doubtful that I'll buy into ANOTHER series where a girl gets sucked into history.

HoneyBubbles

walk this way
    Years
  • Durarara!! looks awesome, checking that out. I might get started on the manga, but then I might lose interest in the anime.

Sora no Woto might keep me entertained. K-on! is really the only slice of life moe series thats kept my interest, mainly because I loved the characters Tsumugi and Yui. So it totally depends on the characters.

Kotowari

Will be back eventually
    Years
  • I didn't really like Fushigi Yuugi, and it's not just because girls getting sucked into history has become a cliche (that's tolerable given its age). The biggest problem was that I didn't like the characters, which tends to ruin a series for me. Regardless, I'm doubtful that I'll buy into ANOTHER series where a girl gets sucked into history.

Well... Compared to the heroines of Yuu Watase's other manga, Miaka lacked certain points that made her interesting. Takiko on the other hand (the main lead of Fushigi Yuugi Genbu Kaiden), is a much stronger character. Though certain characteristics are cliché (such as her having a bad bond with her father), she's a girl that stands up for herself -instead of shielding behind her Celestial Wariors as Miaka did. What goes for Takiko, also goes for the rest of the Genbu Kaiden cast. They have more strong points that the Fushiyu cast.

But I'll stop trying to sell Fushiyu now. XD
    Anyways, I like historical Anime, if a girl gets sucked in or not. 12 Kingdoms had an awesome first episode. Parts of the Anime were a little lacking, and others were exciting.

Saiunkoku Monogatari, though a reverse harem (1 girl (most of the time the protagonist) surrounded with many guys), has nothing to do with a girl being sucked into history. She lives in it. She (Shuurei) tries to find her way in the Imperial Court as an official in a world dominated by men. And that I find interesting. It has a very strong cast. And the story is very good.
    (Now I made it sound as if every reverse harem is about a girl being sucked into history o_o Which isn't.)

Though the original Fushigi Yuugi (anime) marked the beginning of my interest in Historical Anime (with a twist of fantasy), it isn't the best in it's genre (Saiunkoku and Genbu Kaiden rank way higher for me).

Just... not every historical anime that has a girl sucked in it is necessairily bad. I think you're not exactly saying that, but you made it sound a little like it. ^^'

Elite Overlord LeSabre™

On that 'Non stop road'
    Years
  • Well, I didn't see anything that caught my fancy this season. Which might be a good thing since I can catch up on older series I've been meaning to watch, as well as watch Hitohira over again. More Mugi-Choco FTW!

Hagumi

For a sick boy
    Years
  • Definitely watching Ookami Kakushi, seeing as it's horror and that it was created by Ryukishi07 (the creator of the Higurashi and Umineko series) so hopefully it will be a good series to watch. After seeing the promotional video for Sora no Woto, I'm gonna be watching that too; the art style reminds me greatly of K-ON!'s art style, which I was rather fond of. :3 Nothing else has really caught my eye so far…

kohei

Pizzaman.
    Years
  • Chu-bra, Hanamaru Yochien and Hidamari 3rd season for me.
    That's about it. Ain't going to move out of my comfort zone.

parallelzero

chelia.blendy
    Years
  • Sora no Woto just looks ridiculous in a way that couldn't possibly be good. If it's anything like K-ON, it'll start off on a good note and then quickly derail into a waste of time. That said, I'll probably only be following Ladies vs Butlers and Durarara, and maybe Dance in the Vampire Bund since the character designs look pretty neat.

RYOUKI

survive the world.
    Years
  • What I'm gonna watch: Baka to Tesuto to Shoukanjuu, Durarara!!, Ladies Vs. Butler, Nodame Cantabile Finale.

I don't see why not many people watches Baka test, I really liked the novel so I was really excited to see it going to air.

Durarara!! is kinda like Bacanno because of the same author, but I read the novel anfd it seems interesting.

Ladies Vs. Butler is for fanservice anime and Nodame Catabile Finale is for the sequel.

I was supposed to watch Chu-bra, but whenn I read the manga, the first thing that went to my head is utter fail.

I might watch Dance in the Vampire Bund and Katanagari for SHAFT and Nisioisin respectively, though I'm not sure.

Ayano Katagiri

♥ 陳意涵 - 痞子英雄
    Years
  • None of them really appeals to me at this point so I'll probably end up waiting a few episodes to see if they're any good before deciding if I'll pick anything up.

Chances are I'll end up watching Ookami Kakushi, that looks like one of the more interesting shows even though I can't stand horror most of the time.

twocows

Years
  • What I'm gonna watch: Baka to Tesuto to Shoukanjuu, Durarara!!, Ladies Vs. Butler, Nodame Cantabile Finale.

I don't see why not many people watches Baka test, I really liked the novel so I was really excited to see it going to air.

Durarara!! is kinda like Bacanno because of the same author, but I read the novel anfd it seems interesting.

Ladies Vs. Butler is for fanservice anime and Nodame Catabile Finale is for the sequel.

I was supposed to watch Chu-bra, but whenn I read the manga, the first thing that went to my head is utter fail.

I might watch Dance in the Vampire Bund and Katanagari for SHAFT and Nisioisin respectively, though I'm not sure.
    Baka test just doesn't seem like something I'd like. Ladies vs Butlers is just something I would avoid at all costs.

None of them really appeals to me at this point so I'll probably end up waiting a few episodes to see if they're any good before deciding if I'll pick anything up.

Chances are I'll end up watching Ookami Kakushi, that looks like one of the more interesting shows even though I can't stand horror most of the time.
    Horror would be better if it actually scared me. Which it doesn't. Sometimes the story is interesting, so I'll get into it, but usually the effect is off because I just don't really get scared.

RYOUKI

survive the world.
    Years
  • Baka test just doesn't seem like something I'd like. Ladies vs Butlers is just something I would avoid at all costs.
    XD. Baka test really just seemed random, though the novel won an award. Ladies Vs Butler is just something I watch just for the sake of it, kinda like what I'm doing now for Seitokai no Ichizon. Though, I also did that for Saki and I ended up liking it, so I don't know.

Azumi

★七色に光る女★
    Years
  • Definetely trying Sora no Woto in the near future, it sounds interesting.
    I WOULD be interested in Nodame Cantabile if I watched the previous ones. But as it is impossible for me to even finish the first season, pass.
    But I'd try Durarara!! for sure. It sounds interesting~

Back