• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

6th Gen Woes of a Fire-Type User.

Years
  • I never fully used Fennekin, but what I did use of him I can say that he's not bad. Although, in my opinion I believe Froakie is on a whole other level of being probably single handedly the best starter of this generation. As games in the past I've normally been a fire-type fanatic, except when I was given a chance at Bulbasaur. But anyways, back to where I was headed with this. I kind of hate that they offered Torchic off first day. Because obviously, Torchic in my belief being the best fire-type starter ever... I used him more then I used Fennekin, in turn not giving me a non-biased take on Fennekin. So I wonder, what are others takes on Fennekin, is he to par? Or did he fall short for you?

Last edited:

Ashandarei

Siswai Aman
    Years
  • I think he's a major breath of fresh air from the slew of Fire/Fighting starters we've been getting recently. Fire/Psychic is not only a really fun and cool type combination, he's got some above average stats to use 2 really good special STABs. While Greninja is the best gen VI starter by a mile in a half, Delphox is still much better than Chesnaught.

Flushed

never eat raspberries
    Years
    • Seen Nov 5, 2017
    I didn't use either Fennekin or Torchic haha, but I do feel it was unfair to release a Torchic right out of the gates. Speedboost Blaziken is Uber for a reason (at least I think it still is), and it really diverges attention from Fennekin. I don't speak for everyone, but I try to have no more than one of each type on my team, so had I used Torchic, I would've automatically defaulted to either Froakie or Chespin instead of giving Fennekin a chance, which I'm sure happened quite a bit.

Sun

When the sun goes down...
    Years
    • Seen Jan 20, 2017
    You must be joking... :O
    My Delphox ended up as the most reliable member!
    I rotated my party in X and there was a few times that she was off.
    I was struggling, it's difficult to not have her. :(

Years
    • Seen Jan 21, 2017
    I boxed my Kalos starter Froakie after my first badge. It wasn't a bad pokémon, but I didn't really found it a interesting one at all; In a way I regret it, as I replaced him with the slow Dragalge. I really think I should've gone with Cloyster on my team in the end as Skill Link makes Icicle Crash a 125 power move which makes it ridiculously powerful with Shell Smash.

I'm tempted to raise a Fennekin as I lack a good Fire or Psychic pokémon, and it's pretty fast and has some interesting moves.

Years
  • Interesting replies. I see a lot of points, and I'm glad that peoples opinions are so diverse. I've always had a weakness for fire types, since I first started playing pokemon.. and that was a very long time ago lol. But like I said, I just wish they would have done something more with fennekin. The fact that he's a psychic/fire type, I could see him so much more O/p then what he is. Not too mention the way he looks, is so bland / humanish.

Years
    • Seen Dec 16, 2013
    Delphox is probably my favorite starter of every generation. The idea behind this Pokemob is just absolutely outstanding. I have always loved Pokemon that are based off of mythology and having a starter based off Greek history is just awesome. At least, I'm pretty sure Delphox is inspired by the Oracle of Delphi from Ancient Greece. A place where people would come to hear the future, especially about the future of ongoing wars. This is extremely appropriate considering the medieval war theme of XY. Also, althought i don't typically like the move Future Sight, I felt obligated to teach it to Delphox solely because of it being inspired by an oracle. I just love what GF did with this Pokemon. Not to mention, it uses a wand and is basically a magician. Also, since the starters are also based off of vocation classes from Fantasy RPGs, i.e. Knight, magician, and ninja, I was prone to love Delphox because I am typically an Mage (Skyrim) or Archer in games such as those. Only downside is the design, although not terrible, could have had a few improvements. I was hoping for a staff with a skull on the end of it.

What does the fox say?

Ding ding ding ding ding ding ding ding ding ding.

Last edited:

Mesty

The Joker
    Years
  • I got one once I beat the game and I didn't care for him. Blazekin was just too good.

Emfg

Ohlong
    Years
    • Seen Jul 8, 2023
    I personally forced myself to use Froakie because I wanted a Charmander. Now both Greninja and Torchic are rotting in my box. I should have gone with Fennekin.
    Finish the E4 and shauna will give you a Fennekin.

To me Greninja was basically there because of its type and surf. I didn't know how to EV train him, nor did I ever really bother because he has such a weird moveset IMO. My MVP (most valued pokemon xD) has to be Heliolord or Charizard. Simisage did a great job as well.

Greninje? Not so much.

dlanijer

Dual Wielding
    Years
    • Seen Nov 24, 2013
    Sadly, my Fennekin took a backseat once the star of the show came long.. *Long Live Charmander*

I got him to be a Delphox at least, that should count for something right? And I still stuck it out with a Fire-Type.. just a more nostalgic Fire-Type.

Years
  • I went with Chespin at the start because I knew I would get a Torchic. Me being me would prefer to have unique types in the team, so two fire types wouldn't cut it. Despite that, I'm still not a fan of fighting Pokémon, and I rarely find a fun one to play with (so far the only exception being Terrakion). I boxed Blaziken around the time you unlock Mega Evolution (as well as Lucario for that matter). Haven't used them since, apart from that one time I wanted to test a Mega Pokémon in Battle Mansion.

Later in the game though, I started to regret it since a fun fire type is hard to come by, and I noticed that Serena's Delphox started using Psychic type moves, and with Psychic and Fire being among my favorite types, I started asking around for people who had it for trade. I got him when I was at around the 7th badge, haven't boxed him since.

I love Delphox, it has decent Sp. Atk without having EV Trained it yet, as well as decent speed. In the Battle Mansion I find him far more valuable than a Mega Blaziken, and now, among Raichu, Gardevoir and Yveltal, is one of my mains.

Back