• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

6th Gen Worst post story since Red and Blue?

I.T.

The Pokémon Cartel
Years
  • I can't answer seeing as though I haven't even beat the game yet (I've had the game for exactly 2 weeks now). Reason for it is that it's not that I don't have enough time to play, seeing as though I've put in 90+ hours into the game, it's just that I get side tracked too much during my journey.

I'm honestly getting tired of Gamefreak making us wait 1-2 years for a "completed" version of a Generation's first pair of games. So damn annoying.

Years
  • I can't answer seeing as though I haven't even beat the game yet (I've had the game for exactly 2 weeks now). Reason for it is that it's not that I don't have enough time to play, seeing as though I've put in 90+ hours into the game, it's just that I get side tracked too much during my journey.

I'm honestly getting tired of Gamefreak making us wait 1-2 years for a "completed" version of a Generation's first pair of games. So damn annoying.

They dont add to much more post game events in sequels anyways (Not sure about b2/w2) So completed versions dont offer To much more.

Years
  • B2/W2 Ghetsis became depressed forever.

Apparently, it's worse than that. From what I read on TV Tropes, he becomes a "non-functioning gibbering vegetable" as a result of his insanity. In the post-game, the Shadow Triad even say "he can't do anything anymore", after correcting them saying he "won't".

And to the above post, BW2 does add the Black Tower/White Treehollow and the PWT, along with the entire half of Southeastern Unova, and some tougher trainers (i.e. Colress) in addition to giving rewards for Pokédex completion. YMMV as to whether you think that compensates for not having a Battle Frontier, however. It's surely better than BW's, if nothing else.

Spinosaurus said:
    But R/S/E has the cool regi/braille thing and if you're like me and found that out on your own then it's the best post game ever.

You can do that before beating the game, though.

Last edited:

Cyclone

Eye of the Storm
    Years
    • Seen Oct 3, 2016
    Their thinking: if they complete the story now, will you buy the other games in the generation? Z (presumed title) will not have the first part of the story and will be done as a continuation, most likely. I still wish we had a Gray in Unova that reopened Route 10 and connected it through an alternate path and a new set of areas to Anville Town, but that's just me. I guess that story was finished.

Years
  • I'm not sure why people are surprised. All the post game stuff comes in the third version. It's been like this for every game. At least this time we have all the online features to keep us entertained.

Years
  • One other thing that caught my eye here:

B/W's story was just way too cliche and cringe worthy, not to mention it ruined the pacing of the game. I'm glad they went back to the simplicity of the old games.

Also, B/W's finale had a build up? What? It actually happened instantaneously with no warning. You were about to fight the champion, but then all of a sudden a castle pops up and hey, you're fighting the legendary now. That's no build up, that's just a stupid twist that should not have happened. X/Y actually HAD a build up and well-done one too, and it wasn't a detriment to the main game as well, because you'll at least fight the damned champion.

This might just be me saying something completely random and sounding high, but isn't that the whole reason the story in BW is considered by quite a few to be the best in the series, BECAUSE of the final battles with N and Ghetsis? They've wanted something different than what every other main series game has done, and, well, they got it. Not to mention how the entirety of Team Plasma's goal is revealed to be different from what the entire game makes it out to be for you after you beat N and discover what Ghetsis was truly out for. I can guarantee that had you fought Alder at the end of BW instead of Ghetsis, it would NOT be deemed the best story. I'm sure some were expecting something similar at the end of BW2, but alas we didn't. Not that I completely agree with them, but it's what the general consensus seems to be.

Years
    • Seen Feb 9, 2014
    Post game definitely lacks. In BW, the typical "beat elite four hur hur profit" line skews off into a battle for legendaries, and then they give you the chance to come back later and become the champion, though the E4 has stronger pokemon this time around. Not to mention legendaries, and an entire half map left to explore. It wasn't thrilling, but it took you more than two hours to do.

X and Y is lackluster so far. For starters, they just give you mewtwo. for nothing. at least in R/B/Y/G and LG/FR you had to go through a cave maze on top of beating the elite four, which was not as easy as it is in this generation since you didn't get 3 starters (event Torchic included) and early access to Exp All and Amulet Coin for minimal work. Here, it's just 3 steps in and you smack right into mewtwo.

Zygarde is a joke. Very easy to get to, fairly easy to catch like Mewtwo. Both are susceptible to Turn 1 Quick Ball, Ultra Ball, Timer Ball, and even Dusk Ball since they are both in caves.

Looker's quests are entertaining to read, but don't take very long seeing as how by the time it came around you should have had 75s. It was nice seeing guys like Jellicent which aren't available yet, and Essentia's character is very cool, but it takes about an hour at most.

Game Freak put small things like the Battle Maison (absolutely no reason why that island couldn't have been a Battle Frontier) and the Mega Stone Hunt to try and occupy your time, but in reality they get very boring very fast. There's no motivation for you to do the Battle Maison, other than trying to win BP for things like Life Orb, Focus Sash, etc.

I believe that Game Freak is doing what all those EA memes state about EA: creating an incomplete game and completing it with DLC. I feel bad for people who don't play competitively, because if I didn't I know for a fact I'd have put this game down and never looked back at it a week ago.

Sebastian_Sommer

Rocket grunt
    Years
  • dude, don't forget that the hunt for megastones also requires you play at 8:00pm-9:00pm. I personally didn't bother collecting them all cause I won't be using half of them in battle anyway.

Years
  • I'm actually not too upset about the lack of post-game content. Generation V games had a lot of post-game content, and I was a little bit baffled about the lack of it this time around, but I noticed that the real fun of these games is the player-vs-player interactions.

They have a lot of Pokemon available in these games alone, with access to a lot of quality Pokemon. They have made it easier to breed for natures and IVs, and they've made it much easier to find battles, both online and local, and an actual ladder system for battling!

I still say it's a bit weird that aftergame content was a bit shafted but I'm not too angered by it.

Kieran

the Blueberry Champion
    Years
  • Jeez, this is too one sided.
    I don't think the post-game is that bad, considering I can see more efforts put into X and Y.
    I rather be anticipating the next game than complain about the post-game.

Years
  • I've heard these games had quite a lack of postgame stuff to do, but usually the initial pairs of a generation tend to have a lacking postgame anyway. The really good postgame content is usually saved for third versions, sequels and remakes.

Years
    • Seen Jan 3, 2014
    What I really love about this gen is the breeding. Because of how it is easier to breed and train pokes, I feel that I have an advantage and can compete easier online. I never did RNGs and hacks before, so I really love the breeding here.

Sweets Witch

I just love ham jerky.
    Years
  • It's not really that bad. The Battle Maison alone is enough to keep me occupied well into the future. I'm a bit bummed out about there being no rematches or decent post-game grinding, but the E4 gets me what I need so I don't mind it too much.

bradenm

Wheelie say find friends today
    Years
  • Maybe we will get more post-game after we are able to transfer our old pokemon from Pokemon Bank? I do recall a few people asking if i had some legendaries from older games like Genesect. Plus there is sure to be event pokemon, like those 3 that havent been officially announced yet. Maybe they will have some bonus areas and story like darkrai and shaymin from D/P,

Years
    • Seen Sep 1, 2023
    Well, I haven't gotten to the post-game yet, but that's solely because I'm pacing myself so I don't rush through the game. Anyway, from what people are saying, it does sound a bit disappointing. Although, to be fair, that's usually the case. The post-game is almost always disappointing because it's so ambiguous that even if there is something to do, you sometimes don't even know. Black and White had the sage search, but after that, what? Just a bunch of side quests that have no direction?

IMO, the games that had the best post-games were Gold/Silver/Crystal and Diamond/Pearl/Platinum. The 4th gen games had that whole Battle Frontier Island to explore and the 2nd gen games had an entire other region to go explore and league of gyms to conquer. I don't get why, then, Nintendo hasn't followed the same formula and allowed us in the new generation games to go back and explore at least the immediately preceding region, if not all of them. When I was at the Parfum Palace, I thought for sure because of the Reshiram and Zekrom statues, that we were at some point going to do something that involved Unova.

Years
    • Seen May 28, 2019
    Honestly I'd take a detective mini story over a gimped and empty Kanto any day. G/S/C is rigged as a whole anyway if you look past what it brought.

Platinum definitely has the best post story. G/S/C? No.

Years
    • Seen Sep 1, 2023
    Honestly I'd take a detective mini story over a gimped and empty Kanto any day. G/S/C is rigged as a whole anyway if you look past what it brought.

Platinum definitely has the best post story. G/S/C? No.

How was the Kanto in G/S/C "gimped and empty"? It was actually quite fun, and there was a lot of post-game content. Kanto was where we met Bill for the first time. It had a bunch of cool side-quests that weren't ambiguous and directionless. But the point is that there was more space to explore. Those games actually drove home the point that there was a world outside of the immediate region you started the game in.

Oh, and yeah, we also got to battle the protagonist character from the previous games...just you know, to cap it all off. G/S/C an their remakes were the only games that actually acknowledged the games that came before in a way more than just having some of the same Pokemon running around. It had a sense of legacy that, sadly, I haven't seen matched by any of the following games. Of course, that's not to say that those games were bad. I loved every generation in its own right, but the second gen games had the best post game gameplay of any of the gens so far.

Last edited:
    Back