• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Worst remake?

Years
    • Seen Sep 5, 2023
    It's because the balance was a mess that ruined plenty of Pokémon.

Like physical Water types such as Kingler, Feraligatr or Crawdaunt being garbage, because they had nothing to use their superior Attack for, and because the two Water type's weaknesses came from Special moves. Special Water types like Vaporeon were objectively superior by far.

Or Shadow Ball introduced as a physical move when the only two Ghost lines that existed were Special attackers.

Or basically every Gen 1-3 Dark type that wasn't Houndoom ruined because they were all better as physical attackers but Dark moves were Special. Look at Sneasel, or Absol being a Disaster Pokémon, literally.

Or the typical high Defense of Ground types usually wasted since all moves Ground is weak to were Special anyway.

I played Gen 1-3 games as well, and I consider the Physical/Special split one of the most important upgrades. I mean, Pokémon was never a perfectly balanced game, and it doesn't have to be, but at least since the Split things started making a lot more sense.

I mean I agree that this happened and was unfortunate for certain Pokémon, but that didn't stop me from using those Pokémon anyway with the stab moves. I personally don't mind that team members aren't great Pokémon or that their best stats suffer a bit. I find it good that Pokémon are of varying quality.

I also agree that the physical/special split was "important", and it makes a lot more sense this way, but I still enjoy the gen 1-3 games a lot more than 5-9. But to each their own of course!

Last edited:
    Years
    Well, I kinda always expressed how much I was disappointed from BDSP and I was pretty happy to not buy it, because it was kinda missing the point of the remake imo. It's not even a remake, if I have to be honest, because it's pretty mich the old DP with a graphic and style that I personally really don't like. I felt like it was a cheap copy of the original games and I genuinely asked myself "why should I buy this game?" and I really found no answer.
    Obviously, when I came to know that the Platinum part was absent, that was the last line. See, when ORAS was announced, I was pretty puzzled by how Emerald (which is my second favourite game in the franchise after DPPt) could have been included in the games and I thought that it was already a big downgrade. After playing it out of curiosity last year, I think it's probably the best remake. The idea of Delta episode was really huge: not only it managed to find some sort of connection to X/Y, but it also kinda introduced the main themes in gen 7.
    What remakes had and now have lost is the fact that they were "real main games" and had the latest features of the other games in that generation. Now they feel like something detached, so I kinda ask myself why I should buy them if I have already played the original games. ORAS is just another experience if compared to RSE: mega, Delta Episode, some updates in general, so there was a reason to play the remake and the original ones. Same with HeartGold and SoulSilver: the Arceus episode, the Battle Frontier and the updated pokedex. I mean, those were all reasons to play the remakes and have both feelings of nostalgia and also see newer and unexpected things.
    BDSP on the other hand has nothing of those, maybe the removed HMs, which imo was another bad idea, making the game a little easier. I feel that Platinum which is an old game is way superior to BDSP which is a recent game and I just thought that it wasn't ok.

BDSP. Still a good game - I had fun going through it. But it is just so similar to DP and that isn't a good thing when DP itself was already good and later far improved by the existence of Platinum. The chibis in BDSP are also not great and I highly preferred the pixel style of the old gens - the art direction of this remake lacks charm. They really should have just remade the far superior Platinum instead given the enhanced features.

Apparently they made the PokéRadar worse than originally too, aka I can't even go back to it for shiny hunting. :x

soulzzii

We don't wanna watch the news, we just read statem
    Years
    • Seen May 16, 2023
    i mean, its probably a common answer here but i will go BDSP.
    i have been playing a lot of remakes recently and one thing that stood on a lot of them is that they added something to the original games, be it pokemon from newer gens , or something new to the already existing storyline, or even new redesigns.
    i think ORAS did great on some of those - having new megas and primal forms, and having a great redesigns on a lot of characters, of course also bringing some events post game like deoxys or what-not.
    even on FRLG you had pokemons till gen 3 and some post game events.
    however, on BDSP, you dont have pokemons past gen 4 (even if anyn pokemon got new evolutions on newer gens, like sylveon) and it also seems to get rid of some of platinum post game.
    it just dosent make much sense for a remake to me. If pokemon company decided to just report the originals for the switch it would make more sense lol
    and of course, there mods that made it better, they added stuff like newer gen pokemon, npcs that were cut out, and even stuff like this.
    and looking at it that way, it seems like thing that should have been in the games to start with but for some reason tpc decided to go kinda cheap on here, to a point that i can assume it was made just to have an game out before PLA.

Back