• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Would have Pokemon Go survived without raids?

Ho-Oh

used Sacred Fire!
    Years
    • Seen Jul 1, 2023
    Ok: so alternative reality time. What if raids weren't a thing but the gym system changed to what it is now and legends were just 1% wild chance like how Unown is rare when it appears.

Would have Pokemon Go really have survived in the long run without raids? What would the game be like for you now without them?

For me personally... I'm at the point now where I couldn't imagine the game without raids. I still hate that you can only do a free one a day or every second day but the game has livened up so much - it's became so much more. What about you guys? Would you.... still be playing? How would you change raids so that they can sustain interest long term?

Like other than Moltres I've completed the Australian Dex a few months ago. At this point ngl I would have been struggling.

Graine

It looks at you and casts Mind Blast.
    Years
    • Seen Apr 10, 2018
    Do you consider a game that lost more than 75% of its player base dead? I sure do. :P
    Here, PoGo died when winter came. Gyms had been the same color for the past 8 months. We would always see the same few lvl 30s holding them.

The raids/new gym battles really gave the game a breath of fresh air. Seeing 20-30 people gathering to raid a Lugia is pretty damn cool. But I'm not ready to say that the game is saved just yet. The hype will burn down eventually, just like it did when the game launched. I think trainer battles and trading is what we need for the player to stay hooked.

Spyro

[title=Free 6iv Dittos!][url=https://www.reddit.co
    Years
    • Seen Oct 5, 2018
    I think raids brought back a few player, and now people are more actively playing, instead of just booting the game once in a while. I think the changes in the Gyms have a bigger impact on keeping players hooked, since now everyone has a chance of getting in a Gym and getting gold, but it's too little too late. We can't obviously got back to last year's hype, but I think the early problems of the game and the state it was left in for months made it pretty "dead".

Years
    • Seen Aug 24, 2020
    The raids and new gyms made a difference and I like others dont like the limited one day free pass and I certainly would not pay for one. But on the whole the game as got boring in normal play due to the monotonous spawning of common pikemon, this I hate hence I only play continuous during an event.

I will check to see if any raids are about but I have found that even on levels 4 and 5 not many sranding around to do the raid or none at all so this must be a statement that says a lot

Years
    • Seen Oct 5, 2017
    I do not think it saved it, other things could have done this as well. Losing 75% of the player base after a massive hype, instead of 98%, means that you survived the massive hype quite well.

In a gigantic realm of possible new creative content, a good path was chosen, one of many possible good paths.

Raids are a big thing, really positive, really good results, many players returned. Raids are fun. Being a good player with many strong pokemon does matter, such players allow raids to succeed with fewer people, and they also can solo more raids.

As someone who never really stopped, i have to say winter was bad, and the old gyms were bad. If you cannot play for more than 15 minutes before your fingers start to freeze, it is not fun to play. People who survived winter were welcomed with increasing amounts of events, with different pokemon spawning and on top things like double dust, or double XP, or double candy. Spawn rate and spawn duration was increased globally and permanently.

What the big event with double everything, and the raids, and the legendarys did is to bring back old players and even bring in some new players. It worked, this was one way to do it.

In the cities, the game now causes some new attention and also controversy. I have seen Lugia raids with 60 people moving through just in the time i stayed there to do the raid myself, people notice when you got 35 people in some random place and hear people announcing things like: "Ok, so we need a split, everyone who is team blue move over here, the rest over there" or "I got 14 in the group now, 55 seconds" or "code is bulba, bulba, charmander". Its like a flashmob.

People called the police, a lot, and they show up sometimes and have a good laugh. Its a new reality even for people who do not play the game. Suddenly 20 people show up, then more, then its like up to 40 people, standing in circles for minutes with their smartphones, then they come and go, over 2 hours up to 200+ people move through standing in circles with their smartphones, then everyone disappears.

People need to do time-lapse footage of big raids. From a window or something, this must look crazy in time lapse over the 2 hours for a chase legendary raid.

This is just a small glimpse into what is possible with just the most rudimentary augmented reality.

Some simple and advanced features:
    - Place markers on the map only for yourself. Noone else can see them. Never forget where you parked your car, or how to find the way to a place you sometimes visit but not quite often enough to solidly remember the way.
    - Despawn pokemon, gyms and stops in areas and put warnings, with arrows that point where you should go, on areas in case of an evacuation. This could save lives, imagine another tsunami killing another several hundreds of thousands of people along several coastlines, including groups of pokemon go players who were NOT WARNED. In my city, we carry out a few evacuation per year because the ground is full of heavy bombs that did not detonate in WW2. There is not much danger, but the area needs to be evacuated in a hurry after a bomb discovery, then needs to be screened and verified empty by police, then it can be disarmed or there can be a controlled detonation. Pokemon go currently hinders these efforts instead of helping.
    - Public transportation has multiple modes and is tightly interwoven in many cities. Here we have a tight subway system, local and suburban trains, streetcars/trams, and buses. First step: Show all the stations, make all the scedules available by clicking on the station or bus stop. Second step: Put timers on the stations and indicators that show when the next vehicle drives where, based on scedule. Third step: Most of these vehicles are tracked real-time in my city, and the stations have a digital display showing when the next train/tram/subway/bus will arrive going where, and this data is updated REAL TIME and will respond to minor delays for trains or subways, even to trams and busses stuck in traffic. Enough to animate those transportation options real time.
    - In our city, all running over several different apps, we have the following options allowing you to grab/rent a vehicle, all can be found in random places, some can often be found at certain stations: Two rent-a-bike services, rent an electric scooter, rent a gas-powered scooter, and AT LEAST two car-sharing services, one from BMW where you can rent mini cooper, BMW, and some electric BMW i3s, and one from mercedes, where you can rent mercedes and smart and i think also some electric / hybrid cars. All working with real-time location data and on smartphones, just in 10 different apps. You could allow users to show some of them, the services where they are a member, allowing them to grab such a vehicle, and allow these users to crowd their map with bicycles, scooters, BMW cars, mercedes cars, mini coopers, electric scooters, smart cars, and electric cars.
    - You could even induce them to try to do good things, report overflowing trash bins, report a fire or a medical emergency or a violent attack, or put something particularly beautiful that few people noticed on the map for people, or draw them to a river to just clean it up and pick up some trash. The last one would be an event about cleaning up a river, with just a symbolic reward for participating, all about meeting up and everyone just picking up a few pieces of trash or getting more involved, with infrastructure and equipment planned in advance.

The potential of this is just ridiculous. Its a stupid (yet fun and addictive) little game about catching creatures in the real world using augmented reality that now has a head start on it all. The game is so rudimentary, the potential is so massive, but it is the biggest application of augmented reality ever, and ongoing. Maybe navigation systems for cars that track traffic jams and accidents were and are still a bigger application, but that is so rudimentary that it has to be questioned if this even qualifies.

These technologies will advance fast. Groups of people appearing like flashmobs and then standing in circles for minutes, all hooked to their smartphone screens, will tell many relevant experts that they are fucking up if they are not properly paying attention to this.

All the police stations on the planet need to adapt to filter out calls about pokemon go raids. "Do you see most of the suspicious people holding smartphones? How many are there, and how many of those do you see active on their smartphones? Are they moving a lot, or mostly just standing in circles?".

1MeenGreenie

Factory Head
    Years
    As someone who is doing a no team run of the game, I'm unable to participate in raid battles. I'm fine with that; I have a complete Pokedex in the main series games, so I don't feel like I'm really missing out on anything. I live in a smaller town, with very few people playing the game anymore, so even if I wanted to attempt to defeat a raid Pokemon, it would be impossible, save for one of the lower-ranking ones like Magikarp. I'd estimate at any given time, there is a maximum of 30 people playing Go in my area.

I feel the game is still doing alright in bigger, metropolitan areas, but those living in smaller places are going to give up the game faster. There is a slight surge of activity when the college kids come back in the fall and spring, and a bit of activity whenever there is a spawning event, but otherwise it would feel like I'm playing the game by myself. It doesn't help that there is very little variety in "Midwest US Pokemon;" the only way I've been able to get 180 or so in my Dex are because of the spawning events and the occasional egg containing something that isn't Ponyta or Geodude.

I don't really see the game lasting long enough to catch up with the current generation of Pokemon. Niantic is doing their best, but I think people are just getting burnt out. It's awfully boring to play by yourself, and when someone's friends give up on the game for whatever reason, they are likely not far behind.

My only suggestion is maybe more frequent spawning events? Have the legendaries spawn in the wild at a very low rate, in addition to raids (heck, introduce Master Balls in the shop finally) ? Raids gave a bit of new life to the game, but not enough to save it in the long run, especially in areas with few people playing.

Arjay

#GoStags
    Years
    I've never done a raid because I just don't have the time, and when I do there aren't any legendary raids going on. They all seem to happen while I'm at work or travelling to/from work on the bus. I live in a fairly rural area with no gyms nearby, so the only time/place I could partake in one is in the town where I work, but I'm only ever there for work.

Unless legendary Pokémon are made available to catch in the wild or some other way, I don't see myself ever getting one. I haven't opened the game on my phone for about 2 weeks now. I have no reason to. Nothing rare/interesting EVER spawns anymore and I've got no incentive to keep up with 7 day streaks because I have every Pokémon that needs an evolution item to evolve. The only thing that would bring me back full time is the release of Gen 3 Pokémon. Then I'd catch all that I possibly could and get bored again until Gen 4, etc etc. In my opinion, the only thing that would create mass interest again is if they released all the remaining generations' Pokémon at once, which would be impossible to implement.

So for me right now, the game is dead, and raids don't change a thing. Which is sad, as I love Pokémon and I love(d) this game, and I would love nothing more than a reason to pick it up and devote my spare time to it again like last summer when I felt 10 years old again.

Years
    Raids don't make a difference for me and I agree that there's little appeal for players who don't live in cities. I've never participated in one and am not invested enough in the game to go out of my way/into the nearest city to get to one.

Iceshadow3317

Fictional Writer.
    Years
    Honestly, I don't think raids effected it much. Most people just want to catch pokemon. I haven't even done a single raid.

If they hadn't concentrated raids, we would have had more events, which would have brought more people back. You need to remember an extremely large amount of people don't live in big cities.

And you say 75% of the PB left, That is still about 100 million people playing. Most of the damn people weren't even fans of pokemon. We had 750 million download for Go and only 32m or less copies of pokemon games sell for batch of main series games.

More than half of the played weren't even pokemon fans.

Last edited:

countryemo

Kicking against the earth!
    Years
    Its hard to say, but I think it defiantly did. It had widen the city/rural split unfortantly. I'm a typically solo player whos only interested in catching pokemon, but the legendaries have got me to go out and play more. Once they're gone, I can't see myself doing too much raids.

Back