• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

would Pokemon make human life expectancy go up or down if they existed?

Moltres Rider

Banned
    Years
    I was wonder what your thoughts are on this... if Pokemon existed, would that make human life expectancy go up or down from what it currently is now... Pokemon could help us accomplish much that we couldn't do ourselves like an Articuno could keep you cool so you don't die of heat stroke or whatever, but Pokemon could deal a great number of damage to us as well, I kinda don't know which one outweighs the other here so I want all your input, if Pokemon existed, would human life expectancy go up or down from the current human life expectancy...

Simipour

Geyser Pokemon
    Years
    I'm thinking definitely down. 99% of Pokemon could kill a human and barely lift a finger to do it, and one of the main things keeping that from happening in the anime is the "kids are watching" logic. The manga is a lot more realistic in that respect.

While some Pokemon like Gardevoir, Gothitelle, Arcanine, Absol, and Castform would probably be very helpful and love to help humans, and would do everything they could to help them out, the majority of species would dislike them, and if they couldn't get caught, then they wouldn't be tamed to fight more wild Pokemon off.

/rambling

Yoshikko

the princess has awoken while the prince sleeps on
    Years
    • Seen Apr 27, 2020
    I actually don't think it would change. Pokémon would be maybe able to do hard work for us so we don't stress out our body as much, and poison Pokémon would maybe be able to create antidotes for diseases (just like with snake venom), but I don't think that it would prolong the durability of our organs and heart. We die (of age) because our body is worn out, after having worked for around 80 years or so, and I don't think Pokémon could change that. They would be able to make life a lot easier and relieve stress, so I think it would just give us a few years extra, maybe.

Jdplayer

PokéHacking Beginner & Spriter
    Years
    • Seen Aug 17, 2011
    It wouldn't really change much. When we die, it's because our bodies have finally broken down after (approx.) 80 or so years. Pokemon would definitely make things a whole lot more interesting that's for sure and like Yoshikkko said they could even be used for antidotes and such, but nothing much would change in terms of how long a person would live.

PlatinumDude

Nyeh?
    Years
    Untrained and wild Pokemon can easily kill a lot of people in just a short time.
    That would only be if you're not careful.

Also, I don't think that having Pokemon would make much of a difference on someone's lifespan. But then again, if having a Miltank give children its milk counts (its milk makes kids grow into healthy adults), then yeah, I think so.

Chu

Chu 4ever
    Years
    Thinking about it there animals and some one used some program to see what they would look like, and it was creepy they looked like they would eat us, so I think it would go down.

Snorelacks

The number of vicious, bloodthirsty, human kiling Pokemon is about the same as the number of vicious, bloodthirsty, human killing animals (not that any Pokemon actually do kill humans in the first place. Why would they start now?). Say these Pokemon are considered dangerous:

Chandelure
    Lampent
    Fraxure
    Haxorus
    Scyther
    Samurott
    Aggron
    Ferroseed
    Ferrothorn
    Cacturne
    Hippowdon
    Tyranitar
    Salamence
    Hydreigon

That's not very many Pokemon. I think the helpful Pokemon outweigh the dangerous ones, so life expectancy might go up a few years, but listening to science, it still doesn't seem very likely.

Years
    • Seen Oct 3, 2014
    Of course it would go down!Imagine that.Everywhere Pokemon with special powers.Few of them would do something helpful while others would kill everyone who went into the woods.

cazzler

Feraligatr FtW!
    Years
    Why are we viewing Pokemon has blood thirsty animals lol?
    Well to me, they are just like other animals, they will only attack if threatened, the only Pokemon who would attack once they see you are the more protective, territorial Pokemon like Sharpedo.
    Even if there are a handful of dangerous Pokemon, its not like they would be hanging about in cities and towns, they would be out in the wilderness, woudn't ya think?
    This is all hypothetical speaking lol, don't think I'm taking this dead serious...

I still haven't answered the question though, I think life expectancy has more chance of going down, lets face it, if those legends get involved in a battle (groudon and kyogre) well then, were screwed! :P
    If Lugia flaps its wings above the water...

KNC

Sir Demoknight
    Years
    • Seen Jul 20, 2015
    Well I would say it depends on how mankind behaves. If they'd be asses like in this very current reality, well let's just say down, down to the bottom.

If humans would be just a bit reasonable though it would be either left untouched or going up, because more sentient lifeforms means more understanding and more research.

Years
    • Seen Oct 15, 2013
    If it worked like in the anime it could help it, but we all know that in real life they would be a whole lot more brutal.

Shea Man

Karakuri Dôji Ultimo Fanboy
    Years
    I'm thinking definitely down. 100% of Pokemon could kill a human and barely lift a finger to do it, and one of the main things keeping that from happening in the anime is the "kids are watching" logic. The manga is a lot more realistic in that respect.

While some Pokemon like Gardevoir, Gothitelle, Arcanine, Absol, and Castform would probably be very helpful and love to help humans, and would do everything they could to help them out, the majority of species would dislike them, and if they couldn't get caught, then they wouldn't be tamed to fight more wild Pokemon off.

/rambling

Fix'd, but indeed, some would try to help us - after all, we created Castform and the Porygon series.

PunxsatownyPhil

The guy who still uses a GBC
    Years
    I actually don't think it would change. Pokémon would be maybe able to do hard work for us so we don't stress out our body as much, and poison Pokémon would maybe be able to create antidotes for diseases (just like with snake venom), but I don't think that it would prolong the durability of our organs and heart. We die (of age) because our body is worn out, after having worked for around 80 years or so, and I don't think Pokémon could change that. They would be able to make life a lot easier and relieve stress, so I think it would just give us a few years extra, maybe.

Well, if they can replace telemorase, it would go up.

psyanic

pop a wheelie on a zeitgeist
    Years
    • Age 27
    • USA
    • Seen Apr 10, 2023
    Pokemon would increase in life, causing a decrease in natural resources throughout the world, causing humans trouble for they overpopulate and require a larger amount of resources. Through that aspect, the life expectancy would probably end up going down.

However, there would be a lot more room for science and research further innovating our own technology, creating more uses to people for things such as medicine, replacement resources, etc.

If any change at all, it would go down, but not in drastic measures.

Back