• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Would you give your life to cure cancer?

Years
    Tbh the 'natural balance' kind of talk from some people here is a little scary.

Isn't cancer the uncontrolled growth of mutated cells in the body? Wouldn't that mean that cancer is technically not curable? Using that logic, I'd say no, as to completely cure cancer, you'd need to stop cells from multiplying which would be bad.
    It wouldn't have to stop all cell reproduction, just uncontrolled reproduction. And a cure, in the informal way we're using it, can be anything which stops something bad for your health, such as cancer.

Years
    • Seen May 9, 2024
    I certainly wouldn't. I think the only way that I would is if someone who was extremely important to me had cancer. I think if I had a child and they were suffering with cancer, I would give my life to save him or her. But I think that's more natural instincts than anything. It's natural for parents to want to protect their young. But unless I were a parent and had someone I cared about deeply enough to want to do that, I wouldn't. So as of now, I'd have to be in the no category!

Dr.Kotov

& the symptoms.
    Years
    • Seen Dec 11, 2012
    If giving up my life can save others, yes.
    Thank you; finally, someone..
    I'm actually surprised with the majority of people in this thread. I suppose there's nothing more important than yourself, is there?
    Centre of the bloody universe, obviously. That said, I'd give mine up without a second thought, disregarding the time or place. I'd do it.

JimJams

Giggles at the Ghosties
    Years
    Thank you; finally, someone..
    I'm actually surprised with the majority of people in this thread. I suppose there's nothing more important than yourself, is there?
    Centre of the bloody universe, obviously. That said, I'd give mine up without a second thought, disregarding the time or place. I'd do it.

That's pretty rash thinking there, buddy.

Besides, if I were to simply die and thus cure cancer magically, what kind of progress would have been made?

Along the road to curing cancer, science can, has and will make innumerable other very important discoveries; to halt that so suddenly would be an incredibly big mistake.

Dr.Kotov

& the symptoms.
    Years
    • Seen Dec 11, 2012
    Not with the reasons people mentioned; it isn't. I really wish it was though.
    People would definitely study the cure, and would extract and derive tonne's of information as well as facts which were previously unknown, and use it to aid advances in various fields; it would help in giving progress a much needed boost, if anything.

o3o

Years
    I wouldn't unless it could cure someone very close to me who had cancer. I know this sounds selfish, but unless it was a very close family member, I wouldn't give my life to cure people I don't know, even if it meant saving their lives.

Years
    No, I wouldn't. And it's not selfish at all. As a few people have mentioned, this would lead to terrible over population.
    It's one thing to want to be the "saviour of our race", but what good is that when the planet we live on is dead?

Years
    Why? Overpopulation is never a good thing, and we should not be so arrogant as to think that humans are an exception.
    There are more humane ways to control overpopulation, e.g. birth control, better resource management, etc. Insisting that people need die slowly from cancer is just cruel.

Years
    • Seen Apr 16, 2012
    /flipsmyselfisharrogantswitchon

No. Cancer is not worth death. Diseases come and go, people die, and people live. It's life, get done, and get over with it. Besides, I have people that would be just as sad losing me, than if it were the people's families who would lose them to cancer. I just don't see it happening, really. I like life, and I enjoy it C: No good cause in the world is going to change that. They can find a cure some other way if it bothers them so much, maybe the reasearcher who figured it out should give his life, or some person already on their deathbed. Unless it HAD to be, there would be more suitable candidates. I would only give my life to cure cancer if my boyfriend had cancer. That's the only way, and I'd only be doing it for him, and not anyone else. The others could benefit from it, but that is only a by product of my sacrifice.

Captain Hobo.

Posting King
    Years
    • Seen Sep 4, 2011
    I would do it, but only if I was old and had lived my life.

I would just die and go to heaven. Then, I would have saved many people and they got to have a good life.

Years
    • Seen Sep 18, 2020
    There are more humane ways to control overpopulation, e.g. birth control, better resource management, etc. Insisting that people need die slowly from cancer is just cruel.
    As cancer is the norm for us, then removing it is particular kindness and keeping it is simply status quo. Only giving cancer to a creature which it does not already affect would be cruel, in my opinion.

Unless humans demonstrate themselves capable of proacting the 'more humane ways', I'm afraid sympathy isn't in my intentions. "It's for your own good", I might say to everyone.

Mr Cat Dog

Frasier says it best
    Years
    Probably not. I'm too selfish for something like that, unfortunately. Although the singularity will probably come and solve cancer for us... it just needs to hurry its ass up and get here soon!

Posting Binge: 24/40

Back