• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Would you like the Pokemon cries to be saying their name?

Would you like the anime cries?

• Yes

Votes: 5 18.5%
  • No

Votes: 22 81.5%

• Total voters
    Years
    What if, instead of the cries we're used to, they said their names like in the anime? Would you like that? Or at least an option?

Oryx

CoquettishCat
    Years
    • Age 31
    • Seen Jan 30, 2015
    I honestly wouldn't be affected by this either way. I almost always have my sound off. I never really understood why they didn't make one or the other the tradition though. I think with the original Gameboy it just didn't have the capabilities to process that kind of sound so they didn't? Then it just stuck.

Years
    I wouldn't mind if this was implemented, but I highly doubt that it's something that Game Freak would ever do. When you think about it, the games are translated in many different languages (Japanese, English, French, German, Korean, etc.), and in almost all of these languages, Pokemon are known by different names. It would be a neat addition to the game, but I think I'd rather have the generic cries over the Pokemon saying their names like the anime.

大輔

Adventurer
    Years
    In all honesty I prefer the game cries more than the anime cries because it gives you an abstract idea on what the pokemon sounds like. It's not set in stone like the anime.

Mister Coffee

Blathering Fool
    Years
    • Seen Nov 7, 2020
    Ugh... Never... That would get so annoying...
    I like the sounds how they are now, where they sound more like animals instead of sounding like morons who have a speech impediment and for some reason only know how to say their name.

PelipperMail

Banned
    Years
    My answer to this question is a resounding NO. (The only exception I'd grant would be Pikachu)

A lot of the anime cries, in my mind, aren't truly represntetive of what the Pokémon would actually sound like. For example, Roggenrola - look at it, it doesn't look like it'd make much more than some sort of a 'grinding' sound (like their in-game cry), however, the anime portrays them as having a much more human-like voice, thus annoying me. :(

I really love the in-game cries, despite them sometimes seeming primitive.

deoxys121

White Kyurem Cometh
    Years
    I like the in-game cries better. Especially with some of the anime voices being so unfitting to the Pokemon. I mean, Scolipede, seriously, you need to have a more brutal-sounding voice! Whirlipede sounds a lot more brutal than you. And Palpitoad's voice is so... ugh! Also, we don't see animals going around yelling "Dog!" "Cat!" "Bear!" "Duck!"

Years
    That would get annoying imo. I like the game cries better.

I didnt like how Pikachu said his name in Yellow Version, so yeah.

PlatinumDude

Nyeh?
    Years
    I like the in-game Pokemon cries because it makes each Pokemon sound unique. Some of the anime sounds don't suit the Pokemon themselves, like Scolipede, as deoxys121 pointed out.

Elite Overlord LeSabre™

On that 'Non stop road'
    Years
    I'd rather just have their cries as-is. There needs to be some degree of separation between the games and the anime, and if I had to hear "Pi! Pikachu!" every time a trainer in the game sent out one of those things, I'd probably go mad and have to be institutionalized...

Ineffable~

DAT SNARKITUDE
    Years
    What if, instead of the cries we're used to, they said their names like in the anime? Would you like that? Or at least an option?
    Actually, apparently most of the Pokémon's cries are supposed to sound like their Japanese names, but since at first they didn't have enough processing to simulate that that well in the original games, the names were compressed and digitised so much that they indeed sound like beeps rather than actual words.
    As someone else mentioned, Pikachu was the only Pokémon to have its cry changed, and in Yellow some voice actor actually said "Pikachuu" and that was the cry. However, that was a one time thing really.

I think they sound tonnes better making actual sounds. The cries are one of my favourite parts of the Pokémon, in fact I used to spend hours (yes, hours) in Pokémon Gold in the Pokédex, just starting at Bulbasaur's entry and pressing the down button repeatedly as I held the Gameboy up to my ear. Since I caught every Pokémon in that game, that was how I ended up memorising the cries of all those 251. @_@;

I think cries got really pretty and cute sounding in Generation IV, but in Generation V it feels like they're too quite and don't resound enough. Still, I love them all and each generation I am on the edge of my seat to hear the cries of new Pokémon.

Sydian

fake your death.
    Years
    Nope! I love the cries the way they are right now. :) It's fun to figure out what they sound like they're saying, lol. Pinsir says "I want it!" kinda. I got bored as a kid.

Ineffable~

DAT SNARKITUDE
    Years
    Nope! I love the cries the way they are right now. :) It's fun to figure out what they sound like they're saying, lol. Pinsir says "I want it!" kinda. I got bored as a kid.
    I always thought Krabby sounded like "bump bump bump bump" but now apparently people think it sounds like "cookie cookie". D:

Years
    • Seen Mar 10, 2013
    They need to update the stock of all Pokémon cries, but it's far better for them to keep to making vaguely animal-like noises instead of making people talk in a silly voice because it was cheaper and easier for the anime studio to do.

Ineffable~ said:
    Actually, apparently most of the Pokémon's cries are supposed to sound like their Japanese names, but since at first they didn't have enough processing to simulate that that well in the original games, the names were compressed and digitised so much that they indeed sound like beeps rather than actual words.

They ARE all beeps and static noises being played by the Game Boy's internal sound generators. Unless you have a good source to back this up I don't believe they're meant to sound like names one bit. It's much to easy to take a string of unintelligible noise like the Pokémon cries and claim that you can make out hidden words - it's literally a human nature, psychologically speaking.

Last edited:
    Years
    • Seen Sep 18, 2020
    No. I can't really embrace the premise of monsters mimicking human speech (Chatot not withstanding), and it would make common ones all the more annoying. Either they talk properly like humans or make scratchy 8-bit noises.
    Actually, on that note, of the noises they do make: newer monster cries have become less satisfying to me, overall. Like Froslass just makes a rather generic ghostly sound, while the classic Jolteon comes out with something that sounds like a hydroelectric turbine starting up.

Last edited:
    Back