• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Would you prefer a fan game that looks like Gen 2, or one that looks like Gen 4?

Oi

Years
    • Seen Dec 13, 2019
    A friend and I are undecided between which to choose. Gen 2 art style or Gen 4 art style?

Last edited:
    Years
    • Age 21
    • Seen Nov 28, 2022
    Gen 4. Gen 2's are easier to make and gen 4 looks better.

SpartaLazor

Doofus Lunarius
    Years
  • In reality, this is more or less a decision for you and your friend. This is your game that you're making, so do what you guys want, not what other people want you to make. So I'm just going to sum up my thoughts and some pluses/minuses on each, and let you guys decide.

When it comes to graphics, for some odd reason people seem to assume that Gen IV graphics automatically make it a "better" game. I've seen someone say that you have to have Gen VI graphics for you game to be considered good. That's pure bullcrap. But if you want to look more "professional" then you could try Gen IV.

On the plus side, Gen IV graphics usually do look better and there's tons of public resources out there for them. But on the minus side, Bad mapping skills become rather obvious - if you're bad at mapping (and I'm not saying you are) then it will show far more in Gen IV, - and Gen IV graphics are more scattered. There's tons of resources, but you'll have to do a lot of hunting and assembly on your own to get everything you need, which is going to take some time, effort, and knowledge.

On the other hand, Gen II is a bit simpler. It's not as detailed, but it does have it's own certain nostalgic charm to it. Since it's a bit older, the graphics aren't all the detailed (they're still good) which means it would be easier to make tiles and/or other graphics and have them fit in well.

On the plus side, Gen II is a bit more basic, meaning that it's easier to make tiles for Gen II style, it's not used nearly as much as Gen IV, meaning that your game might stand out a bit more, and there's already a decent pre-made Essentials GS kit for it. On the minus side, it's a bit more basic in design (though appearance isn't everything).

I'm not going to state my opinion on what you should use - just use what you and your friend think is best. Try both of them out, and see which one the two of you like the most. This is your game after all. Make it the way you want it. And if you can't decide, then compromise. Try Gen III. There's nothing wrong with Gen III.

TBM_Christopher

Semi-pro Game Dev
    Years
  • Do Gen 2 if you can get the style consistently or are interested in pursuing any sort of future in making games - it does a great job teaching you to work with very strict limitations, and if you see a change in the style you want to make, you'll have to justify it to yourself before doing so.

If you have no interest in game dev outside of making a fangame and don't want to worry about style as much(you'll still have to worry about style to some degree, though), do Gen 4.

Agastya

Grinding failed. Item Grind level dropped by 3.
    Years
    • Seen Mar 19, 2023
    The style you choose needs to match the aesthetic you're going for. If you want to make a game that's meant to appeal to nostalgia and feel like a classic game, you should go with the limited-color GSC graphical style. If you want a game that's meant to feel more "up to date" then go with DPPT style. It's likely going to be difficult to make it work well though, so you may want to consider FRLG/E styles as well.

If you have no interest in game dev outside of making a fangame and don't want to worry about style as much(you'll still have to worry about style to some degree, though), do Gen 4.

Saying somebody has to work within "strict limitations" to be interested in any sort of future in game development is outright arrogant. That sort of elitism is likely why you're only "semi" pro.

Derxwna Kapsyla

Derxwna "The Badman" Kapsyla
    Years
  • I'm gonna have to second the overarching message that both SpartaLazor and Agastya said; You should go with the style that resonates with you and your team most. If it's Gen 2, you go with Gen 2. If it's Gen 4, you go with Gen 4. If you decide to make a Pokemon game using the default RPG Maker XP tilesets, well who is anyone to stop you!

One thing I do want to stress, above all else, is the following: Maintain graphical consistency. Graphical consistency means don't bunny hop around generations with graphics, it severely clashes with everything, and is extremely off-putting. For example, you don't want to have a Gen 2 overworld sprite standing next to a Gen 5 overworld sprite, and then go into battle with a full UI that resembles Gen 7, then return to an overworld that was designed using Gen 3. There's too much style clashing going on there, and it tends to work very badly. As an amateur game developer, this is probably the best advice I can offer to you in regards to graphics.

TBM_Christopher

Semi-pro Game Dev
    Years
  • The style you choose needs to match the aesthetic you're going for. If you want to make a game that's meant to appeal to nostalgia and feel like a classic game, you should go with the limited-color GSC graphical style. If you want a game that's meant to feel more "up to date" then go with DPPT style. It's likely going to be difficult to make it work well though, so you may want to consider FRLG/E styles as well.

Saying somebody has to work within "strict limitations" to be interested in any sort of future in game development is outright arrogant. That sort of elitism is likely why you're only "semi" pro.

I'm not saying that someone HAS to, I'm saying it's a great exercise. My apologies for any perceived arrogance.

RaulCortez

Maybe active...sometimes?
    Years
  • Like SpartaLazor and Agastya said, It's all up to your team and what do you wish to accomplish.

I myself am making a game with a Gen II style, and I'm doing it because I enjoy how simple it is to create maps compared to other generations, and the challenge it brings. (Also HUGE nostalgia, because I'm one of the few fossil trainers left who were alive by the time RBY/GSC first came out (JK about the fossil thing, my fellow veterans)). Just consider one thing when thinking about gen IV tiles:

A lot of people, like SpartaLazor said, will directly go into Gen 4 graphics thinking it will make it a "Better Game", usually expecting to make something of the likes of "Phoenix Rising" or "Aethereal Gates" as soon as they finish their first map. Reality hits them hard when they realize those games have a lot of custom scripting, tiles, mapping, planning and experienced people working on them. They are teams of experienced people working on one project, not just one or two guys. Which means that just because you got a gen IV tileset, it doesn't mean you'll get those results without the experience.

On the flip side, if you game relies heavily on landscapes and visuals and you have a very graphic idea of how it all should look like, I'd say go for this one, just don't forget about all the other aspects of it.

Years
    • Age 42
    • Iowa
    • Seen Sep 30, 2021
    personally i could go either way, as long as it's both consistent and stylish i'd even deal with gen 1 graphics, though i would prefer the higher end of the spriting spectrum, if possible... i just love Gen 6 & 7's animation style, if only that could be easily copied...

Back