• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

4th Gen WTFalkner

SgtPatches

i has a beard
Years
  • Anyone notice how lame Falkner's team is in Gen II and in the remakes?

You'd think for a flying-type gym leader he'd make use of the plethora of flying types in Johto .

Spearow, Skarmory, Murkrow, Hoothoot, Doduo, Natu; they're all available to his use, and he sticks with the Pidgey family. A little variety would make that first gym battle so much more entertaining.

Good thing he has a better-developed rematch team.

Teh Blazer

Divider of Zero
    Years
  • Your thread's Title is just pure win...

But you're right, Falkner is stupid. Maybe he was dropped as a kid? Or he just loves Pidgey?

ACE9

is looking for a shiny miltank
    Years
    • Seen Dec 22, 2013
    I kinda agree, but most people would get destroyed if they had to face a Skarmory, Murkrow, or Natu for the first gym badge.

Years
  • I think it's because you haven't seen those Pokemon yet; but the fact that galactics in DPPt can have underlevelled Skuntanks and Puruglys means Falkner should have maybe a Noctowl or something.

I think they should've put more thought into changing some Pokemons of trainers and leaders in the remake.

Pokefreak9014

Pokemon Lover
    Years
    • Seen Nov 11, 2010
    I think tat he should not change his pokemon because for his team it is a pretty easy first badge to gain but for the 2nd onwards they should make it harder.

Years
    • Seen Sep 28, 2011
    well falkner's pokémon setup isn't that great but it makes for a great introduction to gym battles on that game.

Years
    • Seen Jan 26, 2021
    I think it's because you haven't seen those Pokemon yet.

I'd say that is the reason. You don't come across some of those other pokes that were mentioned until much later in the game...apart from the pokewalker :P

Ronin

Lazlo Woodbine’s apprentice
    Years
  • Makes sense to me since he's the first gym and isn't suppose to be to hard, also it is nice to see pidgey and evo's get some air time[/bad pun] as they are awesome legends of pokemon imo. Now I'd just like Raticate get some respect from a Gym leader ;)

Pearlone

Beginning Mapper Spriter
    Years
    • Seen Jan 9, 2017
    This generation's Falkner is way stronger than the 2nd gen Falkner,
    2nd Gen Falkner: Lv7 Pidgey, Lv9 Pidgeotto
    4th Gen Falkner: Lv9 Pidgey, Lv13 Pidgeotto (there's ur underleveled evo)

Swift!

The Swiftiest
    Years
  • I'd say that is the reason. You don't come across some of those other pokes that were mentioned until much later in the game...apart from the pokewalker :P

I don't think that is the case. Brock had both a Geodude and an Onix, two Pokemon that you wouldn't have seen yet. Sure, Geodude can be found in Mt. Moon, but Onix doesn't show up until Rock Tunnel much later on.

I don't know why they chose to give him only a Pidgey and a Pidgeotto in the originals, they could have at least replaced the Pidgey with a Hoothoot. Then again, a couple of the monks in Sprout Tower had Hoothoot, so that may be why they didn't want to give one to Falkner.

I can't really blame them for that, but in the remakes they definitely should have switched up his team a bit. I don't think a low level Skarmory would have caused too many problems for beginner trainers. I also would have liked them to give Bugsy a Spinarak/Ledyba or even a Pineco, Morty a Misdreavus and Chuck a Hitmontop.

Still, what's done is done, and both the originals and the remakes are great games. :)

Years
  • Yes, it's kind of pathetic. I also think that having a Skarmory or Natu would have been good. Probably Natu more, because being part Steel, Skarmory would be too difficult most likely unless you got a Cyndaquil for your starter... oh no, you can catch Geodude on that one route. So maybe it wouldn't be too difficult.

Numbers

Say my name
    Years
  • It is pathetic. I always said he should have had a lv. 10 Hoot-hoot and a lv. 14 Pidgeotto. (which means they'd have to raise the other Gym leaders levels but that's another thread)

Okami Chi

El Guitar Man~
    Years
  • Anyone notice how lame Falkner's team is in Gen II and in the remakes?

You'd think for a flying-type gym leader he'd make use of the plethora of flying types in Johto .

Spearow, Skarmory, Murkrow, Hoothoot, Doduo, Natu; they're all available to his use, and he sticks with the Pidgey family. A little variety would make that first gym battle so much more entertaining.

Good thing he has a better-developed rematch team.
    Not even adding that he was way too easy. OH NOEZ!!! IT'S GUST!!! Oh wait I'm level 15-20 for all my Pokemon...too easy.

UraharaSteph

Science Has Never Been So Sexy
    Years
  • I don't mind him. I like him and his team for the first gym, it's nice. Plus it gives a traditional feel to his gym, and you can tell he is a man of Tradition. He wears traditional clothes, has his dad's pokémon, steps up to fill his dad's place ect.... So I like it.

Although, if we should be saying anyone is pathetic then we should direct it to Falkner's dad, since he's the one who selected the pokémon in the first place :P

Back