• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Wyclef Jean to Run for President of Haiti

Years
    • Age 29
    • Seen Jan 28, 2019
    Hip-hop, more than most pop genres, is something of a pulpit, urban fire and brimstone garbed in baggy pants and backward caps. So it's little wonder that one of the music form's icons, Haitian-American superstar [COLOR=#366388 ! important][COLOR=#366388 ! important]Wyclef [COLOR=#366388 ! important]Jean[/COLOR][/COLOR], is the son of a Nazarene preacher - or that he likens himself, as a child of the Haitian diaspora, to a modern-day Moses, destined to return and lead his people out of bondage. Haiti's Jan. 12 earthquake, which ravaged the western hemisphere's poorest country and killed more than 200,000 people, was the biblical event that sealed his calling. After days of helping ferry mangled Haitian corpses to morgues, Jean felt as if he'd "finished the journey from my basket in the bulrushes to standing in front of the burning bush," he told me this week. "I knew I'd have to take the next step." [/COLOR]
    That would be running for President of Haiti. Jean told Time he is going to announce his candidacy for the Nov. 28 election just days before the Aug. 7 deadline. One plan that was discussed, loaded with as much Mosaic symbolism as a news cycle can hold, called for him to declare his candidacy on Aug. 5 upon arriving in Port-au-Prince from New York, where he grew up after leaving Haiti with his family at age 9. "If not for the earthquake, I probably would have waited another 10 years before doing this," Jean says. "The quake drove home to me that Haiti can't wait another 10 years for us to bring it into the 21st century." Jean sees no contradiction between his life as an artist and his ambitions as a politician. "If I can't take five years out to serve my country as President," he argues, "then everything I've been singing about, like equal rights, doesn't mean anything." (Watch the video of Wyclef Jean discussing his plans to run for president of Haiti.)
    It's tempting to dismiss this as flaky performance art, a publicity stunt from the same guy who just a few years ago recorded a number called "President" that included the refrain "If I was President." But Jean's chances as well as his motives seem solid. And there are good reasons for [COLOR=#366388 ! important][COLOR=#366388 ! important]Haitians[/COLOR] - and the U.S.-led international donor community, which is bankrolling Haiti's long slog to the 21st century - to take this particular hip-hop politician seriously. Pop-culture celebrity hardly disqualifies you from high office today. (The last time I looked, an action hero was still running California.) And in Haiti, where half the population of about 9 million is under age 25, it's an asset as golden as a rapper's chains. Amid Haiti's gray postquake rubble, Jean is far more popular with that young cohort than their chronically corrupt and inept mainstream politicians are, and he'll likely galvanize youth participation in the election. [/COLOR]
    More important, Jean stands to prove that fame can do more than lift voter turnout - or raise millions of dollars for [COLOR=#366388 ! important][COLOR=#366388 ! important]earthquake [COLOR=#366388 ! important]victims[/COLOR][/COLOR], as his YÉle Haiti (Haiti Freedom Cry) foundation has this year. His presidential run, win or lose, could build a long-awaited bridge between Haiti and its diaspora: a legion of expatriates and their progeny, many of them successful in pursuits spanning every field, who number 800,000 in the U.S. alone. International aid managers agree that Haiti really can't recover from the quake unless it taps into the education, capital, entrepreneurial drive and love for mother country that Jean epitomizes - even if his French (one of Haiti's official languages) is poor and his Creole (the other) is rusty. "A lot of Haitians are excited about this," says Marvel Dandin, a popular Port-au-Prince radio broadcaster. "Given the awful situation in Haiti right now," he says, "most people don't care if the President speaks fluent Creole."
    Full article here.

Any thoughts, opinions, comments?

Last edited:

PokeLawry

Pokemon Master!
    Years
  • i have to admit, i didn't really read that. when i was a kid, i loved the Fugees, but is he really qualified?

Chad -

Years
    • Seen Aug 27, 2012
    Noooo! Really? That's unexpected, indeed. A hip-hop artist and singer running as the president of a country? That is the most absurd thing I have ever heard. But seeing as he supported Haiti and organized many charity campaigns, he is probably a bit, just a little qualified. He is from Haiti, no?

Years
    • Age 29
    • Seen Jan 28, 2019
    Noooo! Really? That's unexpected, indeed. A hip-hop artist and singer running as the president of a country? That is the most absurd thing I have ever heard. But seeing as he supported Haiti and organized many charity campaigns, he is probably a bit, just a little qualified. He is from Haiti, no?
    He is. He wants to help his country even more, but the press is grilling him. A lot more then if he was just a normal person. I think he would be a good President.

Chad -

Years
    • Seen Aug 27, 2012
    Well, yes. It's normal for the press and some not to acknowledge him as a president. In the end, they just consider him a hip-hop artist. I think, although he is qualified as some might say, he will not be a president. He popped out out of nowhere and ran for presidency. And if he were to become one, the government, the press, and some nonsupporting citizens will give him a hard time. That's just me, though.

Years
    • Age 29
    • Seen Jan 28, 2019
    Well, yes. It's normal for the press and some not to acknowledge him as a president. In the end, they just consider him a hip-hop artist. I think, although he is qualified as some might say, he will not be a president. He popped out out of nowhere and ran for presidency. And if he were to become one, the government, the press, and some nonsupporting citizens will give him a hard time. That's just me, though.
    I guess I have to agree. XD
    But, he contributed a lot to his country and the people are most probably going to vote for him now.

Silver

Kyle
    Years
  • I'm kinda happy to see this. Wyclef is an amazing person and I think he generally cares about Haiti and could do great things for the country. That being said, I think it'd be better if he had more political background/experience.

Chad -

Years
    • Seen Aug 27, 2012
    I don't know, really. But a similar case happened in USA. Remember Ronald Reagan? The 40th president of USA? He was a somehow unsuccessful actor, but he managed to achieve presidency. It was weird for me when I heard it from my mom, but it's true :\ So, chances are he might be a president, seeing as he is a successful hip-hop singer and many people know him already, unlike Reagan.

Years
    • Age 29
    • Seen Jan 28, 2019
    I don't know, really. But a similar case happened in USA. Remember Ronald Reagan? The 40th president of USA? He was a somehow unsuccessful actor, but he managed to achieve presidency. It was weird for me when I heard it from my mom, but it's true :\ So, chances are he might be a president, seeing as he is a successful hip-hop singer and many people know him already, unlike Reagan.
    Still, he is well known and has good intentions and ideas for Haiti.

Years
    • Seen Sep 29, 2011
    Is he qualified? Well, that depends on how you look at it. Politically, probably not but he really cares for the country and can most likely do some good over there to ease the problems in their situation. I'm all for it.

Years
    • Age 29
    • Seen Jan 28, 2019
    Is he qualified? Well, that depends on how you look at it. Politically, probably not but he really cares for the country and can most likely do some good over there to ease the problems in their situation. I'm all for it.
    Exactly what I thought. He could gain some more political knowledge though.

Years
  • Run a search and i just knew that he was a hip hop singer. No wonder i thought i heard of this dude :P

Years
    • Age 29
    • Seen Jan 28, 2019
    I saw this the other day and thought that he could be a good thing for haiti.

Plus imagine the first song and music video by a president?
    I heard that when he does become President, he might quit singing because he will have a lot of work.

Silver

Kyle
    Years
  • Who knows, it might be a good thing. At least his image projects that he's not as corrupt as the current power holders in Haiti.

One of my thoughts exactly. I'd really like to see this work out, just to see what benefits he could bring to Haiti, despite already being quite active in the relief efforts at the moment.

Back