• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

6th Gen X & Y Nuzlocke Possibilities or Impracticalities?

Years
    I was having a conversation with a friend recently concerning Nuzlocke Challenges and we got onto the conversation of doing a Nuzlocke with X & Y after completing it. However, we were talking about Sky Battles. As we know, Sky Battles are limited to certain Pokémon (Flying-types and those with the Levitate ability). Whilst Sky Battling still has a lot of questions surrounding it currently, the question came up as to whether or not there will be a Gym in the Kalos region that focusses on this new feature of gameplay. If so, this could potentially ruin the Nuzlockers of the future. If you don't catch a Flying-type before you get there, you aren't able to continue, not to mention, even if you do, you'll only be able to use that one (perhaps two) Pokémon against the entire Gym. I realise Pokémon games are certainly not built around Nuzlocke's, but this could potentially cause a big problem to those (like myself) that enjoy replaying through the game with that added self-imposed challenge.

What do you think?​

OmegaRuby and AlphaSapphire

10000 year Emperor of Hoenn
    Years
    I don't think they'll have a gym using sky battles. For now it just seems like an optional kind of battle as the opponents in the trailer who do challenge us ask before we battle.

SkyRyder

'That Guy'
    Years
    I don't think that there will be a gym leader who strictly does Sky Battles. If this were to be true, you would be forced to catch a flying/levitating Pokemon(perhaps multiple, and train them up, too!) in order to progress through the game which can be a turnoff for some players. I do believe that Sky Battling will have an optional mini-boss somewhere who is a master at it.

Years
    I don't think I remember any in-storyline battles that restrict what kind of Pokemon you can use in the past, much less as required battles.

I figure it will be like triple and rotation battles, more of a low-key on the side thing that's mainly optional and just there to make some battles more interesting with friends.

Cerberus87

Mega Houndoom, baby!
    Years
    My hunch... If there's a gym revolving around Sky Battles, I think they'll give you the option of battling on land if you don't have an eligible Pokémon.

BTW, while Nuzlocking itself won't die with 6th gen, the best part about them, the recorded runs, is gonna die off a bit, because of the lack of a 3DS emulator as well as people not wanting to mess up their own save files, and finally the fact a 3DS video capture card is obscenely expensive.

Years
    Actually thus far all battles have been plain singles except for Lisa and Tate at least in story as the rest of the Hoenn gym leaders join in the doubles for rematchs. Also sky battles don't seem as big as Triples which didn't play a role at all in Gen V's gym matches.

Years
    I don't think I remember any in-storyline battles that restrict what kind of Pokemon you can use in the past, much less as required battles.

I figure it will be like triple and rotation battles, more of a low-key on the side thing that's mainly optional and just there to make some battles more interesting with friends.

I do agree with you, these will probably be more like Triple and Rotation Battles in 5th Gen. They were like, very low-key compared to Single Battles despite being newly-introduced. Most required battles are in singles format anyway, but some may be doubles.

I don't think that there will be a gym leader who strictly does Sky Battles. If this were to be true, you would be forced to catch a flying/levitating Pokemon(perhaps multiple, and train them up, too!) in order to progress through the game which can be a turnoff for some players. I do believe that Sky Battling will have an optional mini-boss somewhere who is a master at it.

Definitely agreeing with this, if a there was a Gym Leader who specializes in Sky Battles, you probably wouldn't be able to proceed unless you have a Flying-type Pokemon or a Levitate user and it can be annoying for those Nuzlockers out there. I probably seeing Sky Battles as more optional.

But yeah, interesting thoughts on how Sky Battles may affect Nuzlocke players.

Years
    If they were to have a sky battling gym leader, which I doubt, it'll turn that match into a virtual one Pokémon challenge as some types have only one Pokémon of the type with levitate...and if one is lucky they'll find a flying Pokémon.
    A fighting nuzlocke would be impossible in such a case as irc there's none that knows levitate (that we know of) or is part flying...

Years
    If they were to have a sky battling gym leader, which I doubt, it'll turn that match into a virtual one Pokémon challenge as some types have only one Pokémon of the type with levitate...and if one is lucky they'll find a flying Pokémon.
    A fighting nuzlocke would be impossible in such a case as irc there's none that knows levitate (that we know of) or is part flying...

Yeah I do agree with you, I was wondering what effect it would have had on monotype and solo challenges. It would really screw over those who are doing Fighting-type monotype runs or solo challenges with a Fighting-type since none are part-Flying nor have Levitate. But I do admit Sky Battles won't be like, important since most battles ingame are done in singles format.

Years
    Yeah I do agree with you, I was wondering what effect it would have had on monotype and solo challenges. It would really screw over those who are doing Fighting-type monotype runs or solo challenges with a Fighting-type since none are part-Flying nor have Levitate. But I do admit Sky Battles won't be like, important since most battles ingame are done in singles format.
    That's true. Thus far only doubles has shined out of all the none single formats, having a gym that uses that kind of battle format, and even a whole regions rematches using it (I'm talking about Hoenn if any one is wondering which region).

Years
    • Seen May 15, 2023
    From what I remember seeing about Sky Battles, they are completely optional. So that means that there is very little chance that a Gym battle will revolve around one since Gym Battles are mandatory in the game.

When you challenge a Sky Battle Trainer, yes "You" challenge them, you have the option of selecting whether or not you'd like to battle them. From what I've seen, this option always appears so I don't think a Gym will be Sky Battle format.

Shrew

is a Shrew
    Years
    You guys aren't going to start your nuzlockes until after you guys complete story mode, so thankfully you'll have time to see how the rest of the Nuzlocke community deals with such possibilities.

In Black/White, triple and rotation battles were not mandatory. Given that sky battles are even more gimmicky, I doubt this. Am I the only one who was surprised that the first gym wasn't a triple battle? Or that even in BW2, post story mode, they challenge you to a double battle instead? Blahhh

Years
    You guys aren't going to start your nuzlockes until after you guys complete story mode, so thankfully you'll have time to see how the rest of the Nuzlocke community deals with such possibilities.

In Black/White, triple and rotation battles were not mandatory. Given that sky battles are even more gimmicky, I doubt this. Am I the only one who was surprised that the first gym wasn't a triple battle? Or that even in BW2, post story mode, they challenge you to a double battle instead? Blahhh
    Yes, I remember thinking that the triplets would eventually challenge us...hmm maybe one of the gym leaders will do triple battles this generation...could be a group of creepy Dark triplets...

I doubt they'll have Sky battles for a gym leader...seems far too gimmicky, more so than rotational.

InMooseWeTrust

Jack of All Trades
    Years
    All I can say is, it will be very stupid (with Pokémon Bank, etc.) to do a blind Nuzlocke on the day it comes out. Because with all the event Pokémon and everything else, you'll want to catch and breed everything so you have stuff to trade to catch all 800+.

Years
    All I can say is, it will be very stupid (with Pokémon Bank, etc.) to do a blind Nuzlocke on the day it comes out. Because with all the event Pokémon and everything else, you'll want to catch and breed everything so you have stuff to trade to catch all 800+.

I certainly never said that I plan on doing a Nuzlocke on the day it comes out! I will be playing through the game catching as many Pokémon as possible and playing it through normally for a long time to come - what I merely asked was is how these new gameplay features will affect the Nuzlocke Challenge for the future.

atomtanned

Delinquent
    Years
    • Seen Oct 17, 2022
    My hunch... If there's a gym revolving around Sky Battles, I think they'll give you the option of battling on land if you don't have an eligible Pokémon.

This makes sense to me. I mean, just because Pokemon can fly or levitate doesn't mean that they can't battle on the ground as well. I think it'd be neat to have a Flying-type gym that allows for Sky Battles, but that you can complete through regular battles if you'd like.

Back